Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gods of the Fallen Land - Roguelike/village builder

Perkel

Arcane
https://tsr.itch.io/gotfl

Did anyone tried it ? Seems fun rts/rpg mish mash. It is only 5$.

Gods of the Fallen Land

Gods of the Fallen Land is an action-strategy game centered around base building and villager management.

Take on the role of a leader trying to rebuild humanity in a broken and dangerous world. The area layout changes with each play through and your villagers are randomly generated, with their own names, appearances, and traits. Build your defenses and keep your followers safe through the night, while collecting and managing your resources during the day to face the ever growing threats. Lead your followers into battle and make strategic decisions on what to develop and build to survive.

Take lead, manage your village, and prepare your defenses as you fight to survive against the terrors of the night.

Features
  • Procedural map with a different layout every game you play
  • Multiple map types with unique enemies and weather
  • An upgrade tree system allowing you to specialize your strategy
  • Multiple playable characters with their own unique abilities, upgrades, and buildings
  • Standard mode in which you progress towards an ending while fighting stronger enemies.
  • Endless mode which tests the limits of how long you can survive.
  • Randomized item drops from enemies and world objects allow for unique strategies and opportunities
  • Level up your leader to unlock new skills to support your followers or directly attack enemies
  • Assign your followers to various jobs such as gatherers, builders, soldiers, archers, priests and more to have them carry out different duties.
  • Traits give followers unique quirks, allowing them to excel at certain roles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Well game is cheap and i just tried it.
So far it looks like more interesting They are Bilions and i clearly have fun.
Basically you buil in the day and defend in the night. Something like Kingdom: New Lands but instead of side view top down view.
I really like animations in this game. Sure they are simple but they are pretty tight.
Right click select is really great imho design. works really well.

Perkel

Arcane
Damn game is hard. First time i died in second day. 4th now 5th.
Basically you need to manage between expansion, soldier reqruitment, excavation of relicts, upgrades to yourself and soldiers.Then there is rts element where soldiers without your protection if forms of equipment you find after slaying monsters can easily die. Also you need to take into account people experience they gain over time doing various things

Resources are really spare and when you kill huge boss etc you get his body which you take for resources, smaller bosses also give you some excavation like chests where you can get random stuff, from resource to equipment, golem cores etc.

I already had to flank monsters because they were safely shooting from outside of my archers range my fortifications.
Attacks are not only at night. Monsters looks like have minibases which will from time to time move in day to attack you.

Defo good game. Already spend 2 hours like nothing.

It is good combination between Kingdom New Lands and They are Billions with hint of Majesty.

yxAWs7h.jpg

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
CRAP I always make too much walls

487cb91.png

and they are IN!!!
KjjWxXG.png

aaaaaaand im dead
wkGzlkY.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
What i currently don't understand:

- some buildings seems to "upgrade" on their own. I had building which gathers resources once at 4/4 instead 3/3
- i had 100 walls limit but once i had 110 walls limit. Limit sucks overall because 100 is barely enough to cover anything.
- i got once floating thing that followed me and zapped people. idk how i got this.
- attacks are pretty weird. Once i got really heavy attack on 2nd day and basically barely was able to keep it together and had to basically flee around and agro. Other time i got pretty much nothing. And then when i got "smart" and wanted to build a lot of archers i got attacked by dudes who were just running around uber fast and my archers couldn't do anything...

also
-Altars are pretty fun. used them 3 times and 2 times i got some equipment and once pretty powerful mage that would cast offensive spells from time to time.
-Tried to attack one of crypts but they had some deathknight that just made everyone panic and they couldn't do anything really.
- first day is basically make it or brake it. It is very easy to fuck up and you will non stop defend without exploring which will lead to death.
- Those shooting towers are great en masse but pretty useless as single point of ranged damage. When i set them up with Crystal it provided decent attack.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
What i currently don't understand:

- some buildings seems to "upgrade" on their own. I had building which gathers resources once at 4/4 instead 3/3
- i had 100 walls limit but once i had 110 walls limit. Limit sucks overall because 100 is barely enough to cover anything.
- i got once floating thing that followed me and zapped people. idk how i got this.
- attacks are pretty weird. Once i got really heavy attack on 2nd day and basically barely was able to keep it together and had to basically flee around and agro. Other time i got pretty much nothing. And then when i got "smart" and wanted to build a lot of archers i got attacked by dudes who were just running around uber fast and my archers couldn't do anything...

also
-Altars are pretty fun. used them 3 times and 2 times i got some equipment and once pretty powerful mage that would cast offensive spells from time to time.
-Tried to attack one of crypts but they had some deathknight that just made everyone panic and they couldn't do anything really.
- first day is basically make it or brake it. It is very easy to fuck up and you will non stop defend without exploring which will lead to death.
- Those shooting towers are great en masse but pretty useless as single point of ranged damage. When i set them up with Crystal it provided decent attack.

i dont know it was my first run ever. still trying to figure out how to make my soldiers attack something or patrol or such. putting a rally flag doesn't really do much

Perkel

Arcane
You can set up 2 rally flags per unit type.
So you set up 1 in left part of village 2nd one right side.
Troops will automatically split themselves 50% between two.

Obviously this is not ideal so anytime there is concentrated attack you right click for example right most troops and left wing defend walls while you venture with 50% of troops to cut down archers etc flanking them. Once concentrated attack is gone just hit R and those troops will move toward old pattern.

So far my best city.
It is really crucial to build as much houses as you can.
paladins are pretty great as they give shield effect to troops.

9B630K8.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
So close...

Basically lost with like 5 seconds till ascension.

Perkel

Arcane
Rocks can be destroyed !
This changes everything !

Got really nice pendant from altar where i could resurrect people every 8 minutes.

Some tips:
- Use T to change selection mode to military, support, workers, all. saves a lot of time
- index of all people in with TAB
- default keybind for skills and items is shit. Skills are rarely used so move them to f1f2f3etc while items are usel a lot so 12345etc

Had nice run on endless mode where in just second day i had like 20 people already.
Unfortunately i died in 4 day because i overstreatched myself and didn't manage to repair walls from previous attack.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I read, the flow of the game reminds me a lot of Rise To Ruins (minus the solo parts, but with more meat on the simulation part).

Perkel

Arcane
From what I read, the flow of the game reminds me a lot of Rise To Ruins (minus the solo parts, but with more meat on the simulation part).

Rise to Ruins have way more village management from videos i saw on yt.

Imho it is more interesting "They are Billions" general design + Kingdom:NewLands exploration and fantasy.

Basically build and prepare for incoming wave, rise and repeat.
Naturally you need to counter balance it with exploration.

tindrli

Arcane
im gona try once again

Y3j8QIW.png

note to everybody. make bigger village.
how to you break your own walls ???

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Rise to Ruins is pretty shallow and once you max out your village, there's hardly anything left to do. It's a pretty decent one time experience, that probably wont give more then 12h of enjoyment.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rise to Ruins is pretty shallow and once you max out your village, there's hardly anything left to do. It's a pretty decent one time experience, that probably wont give more then 12h of enjoyment.
Except they added a LOT more to do in recent patches, including perks for your god and NECESSARY cross-village interaction, as IIRC only your first village gets more "free" settlers.
Other new villages depend on your existing ones for an influx of new villagers besides "breeding".

Not really sure how anyone could claim the game is shallow, the game has more depth than any similar game I've ever played.

I agree that at least half a year ago or so when I last played, once you do get your village "maxed", you are rather safe. But getting there takes quite a lot of practice. There is so much you can do wrong that doesn't seem wrong at first sight. I don't think anyone would manage on their first run.

tindrli

Arcane
are there other villages?. god damn i gave my best and managed to survive 6 days at max. and that was my first time ever. tried several times later and didnt even managed to get to day 5.
one thing is certain. i must be missing something big or most likely i just suck

aaand i died again. got attacked by some wery fast bastards that run and kill me with range weapons in process of running when i get close to them. btw how do i range attack with my main char?
cOUbQ3D.png

at least i know how to break my own walls
thanx MR. Alfgart :brodex:

aaaand dead again...this time outnumbered and probably outgunned as well
xY37HJj.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Is this game gud or shit

Gud. Clocked 15 hours and i am yet to beat it.
I would love for archers to have separate command though.
Also it 5$. So you don't risk much.
If you liked They are Billions or Kingdom New Lands this is something similar.

And plays imho better.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Git gud. Beat it the (presumably) harder way on my second attempt, unlocking the third character class. First attempt I was getting pretty beat up on day 4 so I unlocked the forge guy and started over. Still messed up some stuff (didn't realize soldiers can dig shit up till the very end, misunderstood a bunch of other shit as well and forgot about the upgrade building for way too long) but won in the end pretty handily. Steam clocked me in at 2 hours.

Not bad for such a cheap game but nothing amazing either. On par with a good flash game.

Perkel

Arcane
You can upgrade buildings ?
I play only as mage. Maybe it is that other class stuff.

Did you try endless mode ?

Damned Registrations

The second class is quite different, I suggest trying it out, I liked it a lot more. Less dicking around with units, more time to explore the map. I was referring to the Smithy though, which is where you purchase generic upgrades like extra defense for buildings.

Haven't tried endless mode yet. Will probably try it with the third class to figure it out, and then try out hard mode, which seems potentially more interesting.

Perkel

Arcane
Well i was lucky my 4th time where i was like 2-3 seconds from getting that crystal rollin before shadows destroyed it.
Since then i was not that lucky...

Damned Registrations

Hmm, third class is interesting but definitely seems weaker than the second. The real issue in this game is simply dealing with masses of enemy archers, and the forge guy has buildings that do that just fine. Maybe I missed an upgrade or something though, will give it another shot. Also, why the fuck do golems panic? That seems retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom