Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Phobos

Novice
Honestly this seems retarded but can someone confirm to me that leaving the game mode option like this has me in exploration mode? I am on the tutorial island but the quests show me where I have to go. Or does it only start to become exploration mode once I am done with the tutorial?

Gerrard

Arcane
So apparently there's a quest where a guy pays you for fucking his wife because he can't satisfy her.
E: forgot to mention that they're both old with grey hair for bonus degeneracy.

Last edited:

Rodcocker

Arbiter
I bought this - I really shouldn't have.

Still on the first Island... it's pretty big. But then you open up the map and zoom out and holy fuck! This game is beyond massive.

Most likely too massive, and too repetitive. Here's hoping the main story has some saving graces to keep me going to the end.

Playing on the hardest difficulty and it does seem to help avoid full brain switch off. I'm actually have to avoid the assassin guy - tried to take him on at level 4 and got owned.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Could it be? After literally everyone including Bethesda of all people abandoned this lame mechanics Ubisoft resurrected level scaled enemies? And I thought Origins was bad, I take it all back.

It is the other way around. Enemy levels are static. So if you only do main quest and ignore sidequests, you will be underlevelled and eventually enemies in further zones and quests will kick your ass. So you need to level up to kick their ass by doing some sidequests. It's nothing like Oblivion where enemies levelled with you.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Played the game for a good 7-8 hours.... Then the title card appears during a cutscene, as I leave the first island... This might be a long game, kids.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Got it for free with the Vega GPU, so no money was (directly) funneled into Ubi's coffers. The only other AssCreed I've played was Black Flag. I did not like it, very shallow, 100% console action.

I've finished the first island, in AC:O and despite my best efforts at trying to hate the game, I can't. It's probably the best AssCreed yet. I kind of like it.

Sadly it still has that lame-ass backstory, the genetic memory thing. I don't think it would be presumptuous of me to claim that not a single person would miss that nonsense if it mysteriously just disappeared.

So yeah, it's a Witcher 3 style game, with perhaps a dash of Bioware 2005-2009, bit of MassEffect.

I've never liked an Assassin's Creed game. Ever.

Until this one. This one is very good as an AC game, and p.decent as low-fantasy action RPG.

Next one will surely be AssCreed: Rome.

Glaucon

Prophet
And there's the usual Kwan hangups where a cutscene of you bashing in someone's head with a blunt object in exquisite detail, or a couple of emotionally harrowing child murders, are perfectly okay but everyone wears their towel into the pool in the baths so you don't accidentally get a peek of a pixelated pee-pee.
Ubisoft is owned and staffed by French Canadians (mainly).

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I dunno why people say it's awesome & it feels like AC again. I get that they enjoy it, but nothing can be more far from truth than saying it's AC game.
At series' core lies:
- Parkour
- Arcade stealth (Not really good, but you are supposed to be stealthy in general, it never was nor tried to be Thief)
- Discovering interesting points of past through animus to safe modern times & conspiracy theory
- Gameplay was heavily focused around cities

What of that is in Odyssey?
- Parkour is just a margin activity, animations of climbing look like shit, game was obviously not developed with it in mind
- Game is almost anti-stealth, I am not sure if there's even one mission where we kill major enemy with stealth. You are constantly discouraged to do it. Even ship sailing game as Black Flag relied heavily on being stealthy & assasinations in story missions.
- I know most people didn't like Modern Times, but at least it was coherent story. Now I am not sure who's supposed to like this new MD, main antagonist of series (7+games!) was killed off-screen in comic (sic!), noone likes new modern character and writers obviously don't care about it. This is a lose-lose situation, clear sign of incompetence and lack of direction.
- Cities weren't as important as before starting with AC3, but this was still serious matter that came back with Unity (and everybody liked to have big city again). Now cities are generic locations with little importance, game focuses around free running in the wilds.

This game only looks like AC, has its name and is in the same universe. Everything else changed. Now it's different game of different genre based on different things. Not suprising people who hate AC like this one, it's not AC game.
I am outraged that people say it's true AC, fucking retards that spoil everything that's fun. I hope they choke on this shit after Ubisoft farms this new game model for next 10+ games.
Fucking cunts, burn in hell. I already see Odyssey selling the same/more than Origins. Additionaly this game treats players as retards and allows them to "Safe time" through microtransactions.

I actually respect Ubisoft beceause of this, they design the game to be grindfest/boring, make people buy it and then encourage them to "safe time" by paying even more.
Make them pay to avoid doing what they paid for in the first place, this is definitely the most retarded timeline. I am not even mad, just impressed.

:retarded:

Buying this game is immoral, you support the worst kind of disgusting business practices. Torrenting it is much better, you also won't need to pay for "true ending" that will be revealed through DLC.

comment_NiXdE0ZZNV9YkfrxluoG9bVa7NOKkQ3F.jpg

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Absolutely insane pricing in Japan on top of all that, 9000 yen (~80 USD) for standard edition. It's not like it's republished by a Japanese company either, straight from Ubisoft, just marked up 20-30USD for no reason lolz.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dunno why people say it's awesome & it's feels like AC again. I get that they enjoy it, but nothing can be more far from truth than saying it's AC game.
At series' core lies:
- Parkour
- Arcade stealth (Not really good, but you are supposed to be stealthy in general, it never was nor tried to be Thief)
- Discovering interesting points of past through animus to safe modern times & conspiracy theory
- Gameplay was heavily focused around cities

What of that is in Odyssey?
- Parkour is just a margin activity, animations of climbing look like shit, game was obviously not developed with it in mind
- Game is almost anti-stealth, I am not sure if there's even one mission where we kill major enemy with stealth. You are constantly discouraged to do it. Even ship sailing game as Black Flag relied heavily on
- I know most people didn't like Modern Times, but at least it was coherent story. Now I am not sure who's supposed to like this new MD, main antagonist of series (7+games!) was killed off-screen in comic (sic!), noone likes new modern character and writers obviously don't care about it. This is a lose-lose situation, clear sign of incompetence and lack of direction.
- Cities weren't as important as before starting with AC3, but this was still serious matter that came back with Unity (and everybody liked to have big city again). Now cities are generic locations with little importance, game focuses around free running in the wilds.

This game only looks like AC, has its name and is in the same universe. Everything else changed. Now it's different game of different genre based on different things. Not suprising people who hate AC like this one, it's not AC game.
I am outraged that people say it's true AC, fucking retards that spoil everything that's fun. I hope they choke on this shit after Ubisoft farms this new game model for next 10+ games.
Fucking cunts, burn in hell. I already see Odyssey selling the same/more than Origins. Additionaly this game treats players as retards and allows them to "Safe time" through microtransactions.

I actually respect Ubisoft beceause of this, they design the game to be grindfest/boring, make people buy it and then encourage them to "safe time" by paying even more.
Make them pay to avoid doing what they paid for in the first place, this is definitely the most retarded timeline. I am not even mad, just impressed.

:retarded:

Buying this game is immoral, you support the worst kind of disgusting business practices. Torrenting it is much better, you also won't need to pay for "true ending" that will be revealed through DLC.

alternatively, option C, use cheatengine to circumvent the grind like game 1 job done.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Absolutely insane pricing in Japan on top of all that, 9000 yen (~80 USD) for standard edition. It's not like it's republished by a Japanese company either, straight from Ubisoft, just marked up 20-30USD for no reason lolz.

Do nips even play AssCreed?

Prime Junta

About AC:Origins

Finally finished it. There are too fucking many endings to it. One boss battle, after another, after another, with some grinding in between, and an ending, then another ending, then more grinding, and another boss battle, on and on and on. The late game also became really grindy, and the boss battles were just as bad as boss battles can be, with mountains of hit points substituting for anything actually interesting.

Verdict: first 2/3 of the game was good clean fun, last 1/3 was padded grindy tedious garbage, and the end sequence was simply painful.

Just for that, I'm joining the Ubisoft hate club.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
first 2/3 of the game was good clean fun, last 1/3 was padded grindy tedious garbage
Just for that, I'm joining the Ubisoft hate club.

In my book the game is dull and soulless in its entirety but I never could summon proper hate for Ubisoft. Sure they're just as greedy as any other big corp but they are not AS greedy as EA, they don't use insufferable children cartoon art style like Blizzard and their games are not as offensively shitty as Activision's or most other big publishers'. Plus - and that's unheard of regarding big publishers - they support niche IPs like M&M, HOMAM, Settlers or Anno and I'm especially grateful for MMX and Anno. So yeah, Ubi is retarded but I hope they'll never join EA, Blizzard or Activision and go full retard.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Finally finished it. There are too fucking many endings to it. One boss battle, after another, after another, with some grinding in between, and an ending, then another ending, then more grinding, and another boss battle, on and on and on. The late game also became really grindy, and the boss battles were just as bad as boss battles can be, with mountains of hit points substituting for anything actually interesting.
3 endings, but all of them felt cheap and anticlimatic, pacing is awful.
- Ghost of cosmos is barely a riddle, we simply don't know anyone else, zero expectations and yet it's dissapointing. Also radical centrism muh. Like it's possible after so many good vs bad games.
- Family ending is cringe.

- You are bad
- no i am not i gonna kill
- no, we love you
- omg i am so bad sorry

- As far as I understand modern ending isn't ending beceause that will be revealed in DLCs, it awkwardly ends after meeting a hero. The biggest insult is that we are supposed to ask questions, but we get only 2.
Even filler side missions get more dialogue. I've read that Modern was written/developed in other studio than rest of the game, so not surprise there.

Gerrard

Arcane
So I learned from this game that ancient greeks had modern lingerie. This game is about as authentic as Hercules: The Legendary Journeys TV series.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Sooo how do you like playing as nigger greeks?! This game is retarded sjw filth and every codexer playing this decline should be banned from life!!!

DfcewBYUwAEPfV4.jpg

Everything with darker skin than Dolph Lundgren is a nigger! :obviously:

This game only looks like AC, has its name and is in the same universe. Everything else changed.

Exactly. I suppose that's why I do actually like the game, despite previous AC entries have given me instant onset narcolepsy. I can easily imagine that AC:Odd is not for old AC fans, and Ubi just kept the name and dumbass backstory because it sells.

This is the result of Ubi execs looking at the Witcher 3 and ordering "something like that" from their underlings. The parkour is lame and not very important in this game, but I disagree with the posters who claim stealth is not a factor. It definitely is, but it's up to the player to decide whether to use stealth or not.

After all, the PC is a Spartan and going in armed to the teeth with no plan for retreat, that can be pretty true to character. But I've just accepted that this isn't really "Assasin's Creed", no matter what name Ubi has slapped on it.

And I think that's nothing but :incline:

So I learned from this game that ancient greeks had modern lingerie. This game is about as authentic as Hercules: The Legendary Journeys TV series.

Yes, this is definitely Hercules: the TV series, which is is p. awesome!

Not all Greeks have modern lingerie, in this game tho

ac-odyssey-penis-clear-1024x561.png

Edit: tho the sandigga version has even that censored

https://gearnuke.com/zeus-penis-censored-assassins-creed-odyssey/

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom