Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Themadcow

Augur
Would a dragon wars .... redo have Amiga music at the very least?

Based on BT4s development, Dragon Wars 2 would be an open world Dragon hunting game with inspirations from Fortnite, Pokemon Go and fidget spinners - because that's how the series would have evolved naturally over time.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Would a dragon wars .... redo have Amiga music at the very least?

Based on BT4s development, Dragon Wars 2 would be an open world Dragon hunting game with inspirations from Fortnite, Pokemon Go and fidget spinners - because that's how the series would have evolved naturally over time.

FUCK THAT! I’ll stick with Dungeons of Magdarr for c64 then.

Bohr

Arcane
Wonder what sort of questions they'll be asking him, and what he'll say about BT4

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Fargo is now live on the Co-Optional Podcast to talk about recent video game releases. Currently discussing Cube Escape: Paradox.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
- they had an external compatibility company (Testronic) that gave them a "thumbs up, no problems" on release and told them that the minimum requirements could be lowered even further
- they're working 7 days a week on the patches
- he was especially annoyed by people complaining about 21:9 support: "They were making so many threads... you'd think we had put loot boxes in the game!"
- he's proud to have "underpromised and overdelivered" with BT4, especially in terms of scope - people were expecting 20 hours, now they have 50 hours+

- Genna Bain asks: why did he put multiplayer into Wasteland 3? it doesn't fit the rest of the game!
- the writers are crafting a single player game, completely independent of co-op mechanics - nothing will be crafted for multiplayer. It will be a single player game that happens to have a co-op option.
- there's a big fun factor in asynchronous co-op: two people play together, one person quits, the other person does another quest, you come back and you're surprised: "why are all the animals following us around?" Great for screwing with your friends.
- he's proud of the fantastic team behind WL3, especially George Ziets and MCA - "Chris is our eccentric rock star"
- still on track for Q4 2019

Bohr

Arcane
The 21:9 crowd did the same with Battletech, flooding the forums with threads bitching about it. An extremely noisy and motivated minority, keen to convert others to their cause - much like jrpg fans on the Dex.

Gord

Arcane
If you are noisy and obnoxious, today you have three options:
Go alt-right, go SJW, buy a 21:9 screen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Doesn't look like this was streamed anywhere.

https://register.growtix.com/schedule/gdex_2018/George_Ziets?guest=138619

Designing Narrative Choice in Games
Friday September 28, 2018 2:00 pm to 2:45 pm

5b96ca62-71b8-4d6d-ad9c-11540a46500e.jpg

Game stories have a superpower – they let players decide how the story turns out. But how do we ensure that player choices really matter… without breaking the budget? I’ll lay out a couple strategies that have worked at companies like Obsidian and InXile. Then I’ll give you some useful tips to keep in mind when designing choices of your own.

Maybe it'll show up here eventually: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvT2AdXMWqFyRsehmVMXu9g/videos

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Another choplifter? God NO!

Of that list I’d say it’d be Lode Runner (shit I never played that game or it’s incarnations though I did play jumpman jr and Ultimate Wizard).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They’d probably fuck that up. Funny I used to mistake battle chess with archon (well, I believed it was even more ultra of a version).

Why don’t they remake Mail-order monsters with archon. Hell, maybe some king of the monsters. There are remake hybrids that might be worth it if extra was included. Some games rehashed just get dull.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess this is probably a better thread for this.

Background quotes:
Quick note to "cash grab" theorists: y'all know that Brian Fargo is from the Fargo family, right? Wells Fargo? The bank? He already has money beyond your wildest dreams of avarice. You can say a lot of things about him but scamming backers for $ does not hold up.
i thought he is not associated with THE bank though?
I mean, unless someone lied on wikipedia for some reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fargo

EDIT and unless these guys are lying ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/40719545@N02/sets/72157623177335482/

You're missing the point. Wells Fargo is 150 year old business, after that much time passes there's gonna be offshoots of the family that have no association with the bank beyond their surname.

Fargo is loaded but he's loaded with Interplay money. But he started the whole business with barely couple grand to his name.

I had a budget of $5,000 for everything. My one ad in Soft Talk [magazine] cost me about 2,500 bucks, so 50 percent of my money went into a single ad. One of the things I did was I would call retailers on a different phone and say, "Hey, I'm trying to find this game called Demon's Forge. Do you guys have a copy?" They said, "No," and I said, "Oh, I just saw it in Soft Talk. It looks good. They said, "We'll look into it."

A few minutes later my other line would ring and the retailer would place an order. That was my guerrilla marketing. I was selling to individual chains of stores. There were two distributors at the time that would help you get into the mom-and-pop places. It was a store-by-store, shelf-by-shelf fight.
Thanks for the citation. I don't think this means he never saw any (other) money from his family. Do most rich families give their kids a billion dollars when they're 12? I mean I didn't have $5000 to start a business with when I was 19. So were his parents rich or not? Who knows how many relatives have died, how many trust funds matured since that time.

Quick note to "cash grab" theorists: y'all know that Brian Fargo is from the Fargo family, right? Wells Fargo? The bank? He already has money beyond your wildest dreams of avarice. You can say a lot of things about him but scamming backers for $ does not hold up.
yeah rich people are well known to be kind and generous and not at all petty about grabbing every penny they can at any opportunity that presents itself
especially those with inherited wealth
Yeahhhhhhh that's a generalization I can get behind, but it is a generalization and there are exceptions. Honestly, I don't see why inXile would have stopped doing mobile garbage etc. if Fargo's real motivation was big profits. Assuming it wasn't a flat out lie, why would he plow $100,000 of his own pocket money into Wasteland 2 (completely unnecessarily I might add since the Kickstarter smashed its goal)? Why would he spend years actually making the game and spending the budget where he said he would? Why spend another year making the Director's Cut? Why continue struggling to make RPGs when he's consistently getting weak results? "It's all part of a master plan to screw millions out of the roaring AA market" just isn't cutting it for me. There are a thousand better ways to grow his money and his family is in banking so he damn well knows it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom