Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think it supports it, I might be remembering wrong, but there might even be an option to include it in the installation? Or is my memory hassy?

I was hoping the RPG Codex could answer this without me having to install the game + the mod, but now it seems I have no choice. If the game doesn't threaten to melt down my computer as punishment for mixing + matching, I should be able to give an answer to this about this time tomorrow.

deama

Prophet
I think it supports it, I might be remembering wrong, but there might even be an option to include it in the installation? Or is my memory hassy?

I was hoping the RPG Codex could answer this without me having to install the game + the mod, but now it seems I have no choice. If the game doesn't threaten to melt down my computer as punishment for mixing + matching, I should be able to give an answer to this about this time tomorrow.
Multiverse contains the entire game + plus the mod, so you can just install it in a different folder.

From the thread:

Poseidon, in current version there is no level cap removal, but the following version will have such option - too many requests about it.
As far as I heard someone had positive experience of using patch.

And I assume for playing the next version you have to restart the game.

(Seems to be part of the included "Grand Fix" patch, which features " LevelHack - removes the restriction on 50 levels for the hero and NPC. To install, copy the files 'xp_critter.mes' and 'xp_level.mes' to the 'data \ rules' folder.")

Does this mod also implant the official modules one way or another?
(Revering to Buried Secrets, Deathmatch, Dusty Dunes, Hellgate, Time, Woodmir Race and The Lost Dungeon of Souls)
All of them included, except of Dusty Dunes. This one is under work now. Also there is possibility that they will be also re-designed/improved (Mappers mode). But not new quests.[...]

From the guide:

▪ High-quality maps of locations were integrated.
In the corresponding locations viewing the picture mode will be smoother. This concerns not only the early version of the panoramas, we process them after all the changes that are made to the layout of the locations.

▪ Original lossless music was integrated.

Tracks in lossless quality we personally handed us by the composer Ben Houge, so that the quality of these tracks can be no doubt. Perhaps the owners of the integrated sound card and standard speakers will not appreciate our efforts, but I hope that everyone else will like it.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
What kind of balance changes does this make?

So many of these community patches are made by dudes who've played the game 10,000 times and they always go about making it harder for *them* while assfucking the new player experience.

deama

Prophet
What kind of balance changes does this make?

So many of these community patches are made by dudes who've played the game 10,000 times and they always go about making it harder for *them* while assfucking the new player experience.
I didn't notice any difference in difficulty when I played it compared to he original.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I could have saved myself the trouble from asking if I had just installed the Multiverse Edition first, as the options menu there allows for the level cap to be raised to 100.

Last I played Arcanum (15 years ago!) I had a similar patch that raised the cap to 128, so there's still 'room for improvement' if need be.

At least I got people talking about this again, so there's that.

deama

Prophet
I could have saved myself the trouble from asking if I had just installed the Multiverse Edition first, as the options menu there allows for the level cap to be raised to 100.

Last I played Arcanum (15 years ago!) I had a similar patch that raised the cap to 128, so there's still 'room for improvement' if need be.

At least I got people talking about this again, so there's that.
Last time I played through the game (like a year ago) the highest level I got was 50 something, and I was soloing through it. I tried to do most sidequests as well.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I honestly can't remember how high a level I reached 15 years ago, but I went everywhere and did everything conceivable, and was somewhere around level 80 by the end of it.

Playing Arcanum with the standard level cap is a huge waste of XP.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Bug: At least one of the Backgrounds is broken. If I create a new character and click the Left arrow for Backgrounds, the game immediately crashes. Likewise if I click the Right arrow 52 times (yes, I counted) the game immediately crashes. It's the Background after "Raised by Halflings", and/or the last Background in the list.

deama

Prophet
Bug: At least one of the Backgrounds is broken. If I create a new character and click the Left arrow for Backgrounds, the game immediately crashes. Likewise if I click the Right arrow 52 times (yes, I counted) the game immediately crashes. It's the Background after "Raised by Halflings", and/or the last Background in the list.
Hmm, I never got that error, though I played on the version from last year? But then again, I recently(several months?) checked it out again and updated it via the updater, and I remember going through the list and it didn't crash.

I have the game installed and just checked, I only counted 48 backgrounds (excluding the non background, my version is from early this year). I counted it twice, so is there a patch out that adds more backgrounds or ?

EDIT: the last background before "non background" is "Dark Sight". Also, it seems that I don't have that "Raised by Halflings" background.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
With AutoUpdate enabled, I get an update that installs version 14.0.0.2. For testing purposes I uninstalled and then re-installed AMV, and repeated the process WITHOUT installing the update. No crashes, but there are 67 Backgrounds in total in version 1.4.0.0, so the problem is not confined to a single Background - any additions/changes to them since 14.0.0.0 will have to be looked at again.

unsolicited.

Novice
For some reason my game is still in russian even after I changed it to english in the config (I clicked "apply"...) . Anyone else got this issue?

Edit: running version 1.4.0.2

Last edited:

opium fiend

Augur
Ok been trying for hours to create a custom portrait, followed the guide to the point of learning it by heart, no luck. Are there any interesting portrait packs anywhere?
half orc female looks like shit

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, you don't really need xp cap removal in Arcanum. You become so OP later game and well able to pew-pew whatever you want to.

I tried a pretty standard Multiverse setup last time sticking to the basics and it seemed the right way to go, though I only tested the first few hours.

sagat91

Novice

have the same problem
and yes I have the current version

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Can anyone translate this thing?
Did I won, or it's game over?
MBSUEpc.jpg

That's the final screen from Dungeon of Lost Souls.
Set free all merchants except magic shopper, there was blue guy in the jail set nearby throne room, with some weird pale skinned lady, every time I pick the lock - that screen shows up.

You gain levels even faster, like holy hell - got 27lvl in almost no time.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Ok been trying for hours to create a custom portrait, followed the guide to the point of learning it by heart, no luck. Are there any interesting portrait packs anywhere?
half orc female looks like shit

There is at least one custom portrait pack I think on Tera Arcanum website. It has a ton of actual or doctored photos, but some decent created portraits as well.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Can anyone translate this thing?
Did I won, or it's game over?
MBSUEpc.jpg

That's the final screen from Dungeon of Lost Souls.

"The death of Lady Lavaria had put an end to a horror ruling over Mirilore. Fernando as well as Samantha and other survivors had stayed in this place for long, long years. In the eyes of people living in Mirilore you remain a hero, they've made song about you and sang them the following years."

Sounds like a scripting error giving you end screen.

kasapnecmi

Literate
Hey guys, just created an account to post here. I just played and finished the whole game using the latest Multiverse Edition 1.4.0.2 patch. And I'd like to give feedback, hoping it's still being worked on.

Firstly, the game is perfectly playable at this point, and there are only a few major bugs. Thankfully none of them are game breaking. I played the game as a good aligned human tech gunslinger.

First bug is mentioned here earlier, with when you scroll left for the last background while creating character, the game crashes immediately, but it's not a big deal obviously.

Second one, and the most annoying one I faced is when you load a game, most of the time the reactions of other people get assigned a stupid number, something like 182371928731(love). This wouldn't be such a big deal, if only that number occasionally didn't become a negative number (looks like an unsigned integer issue caused by a script). So, there were a lot of times where as soon as I load the game, everyone around me including my own companions had a reaction like -123124214(hatred) against me and attacked me straight away. The only resolution for that I could find was reloading the same save game, and hoping it would fix itself. Sometimes when I reload, only some of my followers would attack, the rest would have normal reactions. So, reloading worked eventually, but sometimes took 10-20 times of reloading and sometimes needed me to exit the game and enter it again. It wasn't gamebreaking, but it was tedious from time to time.

Third major bug is with the endgame, even though I played the English version of the game, the end game videos were in Russian for some reason. So, I found and watched endgame videos in youtube to understand what the guy was talking about.

I know Arcanum originally had a lot of bugs with the quests and such, but I am happy to say that all of them seem to be fixed. I never faced any bugs in any parts of the quests or the story.

I'd like to replay the game with a magick based evil char with different followers, but I want to wait for a fix for at least the second and third bugs that I mentioned. Hopefully the project is not abandoned, because it's really cool and in a great state with lots of interesting new features. The only new feature I would like to see is to find a way to keep up the challenge in combat, as it becomes quite trivial as you improve your character.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who worked on Multiverse Edition, and the people who created the patches and mods that are used in Multiverse Edition. What they've done is truly amazing. I'm awed by your efforts and commitment to make Arcanum a truly great game.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, where did those bugs even come from? If OG Arcanum + Drogg's patch don't have these issues what excuse is there to have them now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom