Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Frayed Knights 2 - sequel to the comedic blobber from Jay Barnson

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Too bad he stopped frequenting the forums too, I think he was pretty active about a decade ago or so.

ortucis

Prophet
This lack of news is worrying. I enjoyed Frayed Knights a lot.
The developer, Jay Barnson, decided it was more rewarding hobby to write mediocre fantasy books than to finish his CRPG series. Frayed Knights 2 is unlikely to ever be released.

Was there ever any official announcement that he put it on hiatus or something of the sorts?

He probably is working every now and then on the game. But I'm guessing he's just bored of it and doesn't have any drive to finish it when the first game is barely remembered by anyone.

It can happen. When you see your labor of love rejected by many. You lose the drive to keep working on anything related.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only bad thing about Frayed Knights were the ridiculously long loading times. Other than that, solid game.

He should get back to this. I'd buy it.

ushas

Savant
Me too. Looking at FK steam page, however, has only 13 reviews. Dunno, did it get buried or something?:/

Mustawd

It’s a niche within a niche within a niche game. The ultimate inception rpg. Consider this:

1. Indie game with crappy grafix
2. Turn Based Blobber
3. No char gen or party creation
4. Comedic rpg

ushas

Savant
It’s a niche within a niche within a niche game. The ultimate inception rpg. Consider this:

2. Turn Based Blobber
4. Comedic rpg
Fair points. Can imagine people being turned off by either of those. Though I still wonder about saturation of a niche within a niche. Do you think, if it gets more exposure, there won't be a bit more people interested?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

2. Turn Based Blobber
4. Comedic rpg
Fair points. Can imagine people being turned off by either of those. Though I still wonder about saturation of a niche within a niche. Do you think, if it gets more exposure, there won't be a bit more people interested?
It is possible,people even buy shit like D:OS. The game is fun,even if it have problems.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I think the comedy stuff turns people off. It did for me until I decided to just get the game. I've only played it a bit, but I like it so far. The only problems I have with it are the comedy and fixed party, but they also give it a pretty unique feel.

The comedy is too sincere and actually nerdy for the hipsters to enjoy it, so it had no hope of being some breakout success on Steam, sadly. They should have renamed it to "Dungeonmens Adventures: Wow I'm in my own crazy dungeons?!?!?!??!?!" to hook the hipsters.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Can't have the friendly banter without a fixed party, but it would be cool if you could customize their starting stats somewhat and recruit more PCs. Maybe you can, I don't know, I've probably only played a third of the game. It's fun and innovative but it gets to be kind of a slog. A promising first effort that's destined, like Jagged Alliance and Star Control, to be overshadowed someday by a sequel... some day.

SniperHF

Arcane
Me too. Looking at FK steam page, however, has only 13 reviews. Dunno, did it get buried or something?:/

It was released on Steam well after its initial release which I'm sure had some impact. About 3 years or so. Back when Frayed Knights first came out it was much harder to get on Steam.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Unless this guy pulls a Grimoire I think it's safe to say the book's closed on this one

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
But Frayed Knights was a lot of fun. Certainly better than a lot of blobbers out there :(

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Settle a bet...

Was Bard's Tale 4's gameplay effectively a Frayed Knights rip off? (...right down to the loot bag at the end of fights.)

bt-frayed_3.gif

Old Hans

Arcane
Settle a bet...

Was Bard's Tale 4's gameplay effectively a Frayed Knights rip off? (...right down to the loot bag at the end of fights.)

bt-frayed_3.gif
id be surprised if anyone at inexile played that game or even heard of it

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am now replaying the first one,it is pretty good fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom