Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sandy Peterson

Oracsbox

Covers various things didn't altogether seem to fit in any thread so I'll pop it in here.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Sandy Peterson is incline all around. The guy has all the right ideas when it comes to level and game mechanics design without coming across as overly autistic. Quite personable too. Would like to meet him one day.

Mustawd

Sandy Peterson is incline all around. The guy has all the right ideas when it comes to level and game mechanics design without coming across as overly autistic. Quite personable too.

Hi Sandy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember ages ago, Ensemble Studios used to do these Q&A's on their forums about Age of Empires 1/2, and he was working for them at the time, so he would do most of them. Very amusing guy. Then again, the other guy who used to do them was Greg Street, who went on to become the lead designer on World of Warcraft expansions. Shit, that was a long time ago.

Beastro

Arcane
Was gonna post this.

Of all of the random things in the world, it's a Lindybeige video.

Oracsbox

Was gonna post this.

Of all of the random things in the world, it's a Lindybeige video.

The recent Lindybeige video on Jack Renton The White Headhunter is a great watch.Renton lived the Far Cry RPG experience.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Petersen's Doom 2 levels I'd characterize as conceptually unique and stand-out, but questionable in terms of execution. They tend to be more memorable because of how special they are, not necessarily because they are that good or fun to play through. They have cool ideas, but they just lack polish compared to stuff like Romero's levels, where the devil is more in the details whereas Petersen wears the devil on his sleeve. petersen bold n brash un romero smart n sneeky

You can kind of see this how Petersen levels are built around this one central idea (Tricks and Traps is one hub area connecting wildly different rooms, Downtown is one massive rectangle with buildings scattered around, Barrels O' Fun is about barrels of fun... for the first half anyways lol), or several major setpieces which are often clumsily strung together (pretty much most outdoor maps). Sometimes this does work out like with Tricks 'n Traps where the multiple major setpieces can end up mixing with the other because they're all connected to the same room (hope you enjoy those barons roaming around), but in the case of a wide-open level such as Downtown you end up having to place a giant blinking arrow on the floor just so the player goes in the direction you want him to, and the level doesn't feel as much as a level as much as it does like a hub world with several isolated encounters scattered around which barely mingle.

His more abstract approach did end up working better in E4 he made for Quake, which suited the game visually more and the technical limitations of the time prevented him from going overzealous with city levels or the like. Quake's bestiary and environmental traps seem to somehow better suit his style.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Downtown was definitely the favourite level of Doom 2 for my gaming buddy and myself back in the days.
When I replayed it it was still one of the better levels, but not so outstanding.

As for most memorable moment that was easily a troop of Barons vs a Cyber Demon. Cybie won, and then I needed one shot to finish him off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom