Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sapkowski demands CDPR pay him more

Cael

Arcane
Isn't it funny seeing supposed fans of a series turn against its creator?
Being a fan for a certain work doesn't mean that you are a fan of the creator.

A personal example is Ultima. I love the games to bits, but I cannot stand Warren Spector. A more pretentious SJW/union shit you would never find.

Similarly, I like DAO, but I cannot stand Gaider because he is such a soyboy and pretentious prick.

Creators are at their best when they don't let their personal agendas get in the way, but it doesn't mean that you love them because their personal agendas can be pretty nasty. Take Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Roman Polanski, Lady Gaga, Amy Schumer, Alec Baldwin, Robert de Niro. Especially Robert de Niro. You can't argue that he made some very good movies. But as a person, he is a complete arrogant, strident totalitarian asshole whom you pray you will never meet in public.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Polish podcasters are having some fun with Sapkowski's demands - memes are abound (the N64 picture is unrelated).

IMG_1764-800x600.jpg

Source: http://ryslaw.pl/2018/10/06/gryslaw-95/

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I just wonder what effect this might have on future Witcher titles. Direct sequels or spin-offs like the upcoming Thronebreaker.

Ovg

Cipher

It is. Though from what I've heard he REALLY did not belive in this side venture into video games franchising would be worth a beer, much less a quality mansion with a brothel.

I liked his books, but his attitude here can only be summed up as "Man, who made a huge mistake because he failed to read up on video games, is angry mostly at himself, but thanks to our copyright law, wants his bux, contract be damned."

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The best outcome is they go to court, don't settle (because they dindunuffin as per their response), lose the case, have to pay AND void the contract and lose the IP rights as a result.
Massive incline.

Then Bethesda approaches him.

We all know it's gonna be EA. They won't miss the money train.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
As a lawful neutral character my decree is: Give him 3% royalties on video game profit.
But he has to stop shitting on the games in public and be cooperative in the development of potential new games and/or marketing and advertising.

I have spoken.

--------------------

I've read the Witcher books (in german) and they were great and entertaining.
I also like other Slav fantasy like the books of this Lukianenko guy. And of course, Russian/Polish sci-fi was a stable of my childhood reading pensum.

Last edited:

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

That's because the games are actually better that the books and Sapkowski's current shenanigans threaten the future of the series. The author himself is currently rather irrelevant in his own homeland, since he hasn't produced anything worthwhile for more than 10 years. And that's even if we consider the extremely juvenile "Hussite trilogy" as "good". His most notable actions in recent years are: releasing a mediocre prequel, complaining about the games and selling rights to Netflix.

At this point, I think that the best outcome would be CDPR just buying all rights to the entire franchise for a hefty sum and Sapkowski retiring to his private villa with custom built swimming pool, where he could comfortably don't give a fuck about anything for the rest of his days.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane

A personal example is Ultima. I love the games to bits, but I cannot stand Warren Spector. A more pretentious SJW/union shit you would never find.

Similarly, I like DAO, but I cannot stand Gaider because he is such a soyboy and pretentious prick.

Creators are at their best when they don't let their personal agendas get in the way, but it doesn't mean that you love them because their personal agendas can be pretty nasty. Take Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Roman Polanski, Lady Gaga, Amy Schumer, Alec Baldwin, Robert de Niro. Especially Robert de Niro. You can't argue that he made some very good movies. But as a person, he is a complete arrogant, strident totalitarian asshole whom you pray you will never meet in public.
We found the only person in the world who likes Amy Schumer work. And on Codex no less.

Cael

Arcane

We found the only person in the world who likes Amy Schumer work. And on Codex no less.
Not surprised. There are some pretty bottom of the barrel types in the Codex, and one of them is even a mod. For the record: I hate Amy Schumer's works because she is a fucking hypocrite who makes a living off fat jokes but goes full SJW psycho when someone other than herself makes one. However, given her fame and list of works, there must be quite a number of fans of her work, which is why she is on the list.

Jobs, I have grudging respect for for what he did to Apple. The rest can go jump off a tall building stark naked.

Mark Richard

Arcane
The GOG thread on this subject may be even more unsympathetic to Sap's predicament, but frankly it could've happened to anyone. I'm only laughing because it didn't happen to me. CD Projekt had no games to their name, the Witcher action-adventure game had fizzled out and died in the early stages of development, and gaming wasn't making more money than the film and music industries combined. It's easy for folks with the benefit of hindsight to say they'd have done things differently, but you have to put yourself in Sap's shoes, not transpose your current self onto his image like a bad photoshop.

Cael

Arcane
The GOG thread on this subject may be even more unsympathetic to Sap's predicament, but frankly it could've happened to anyone. I'm only laughing because it didn't happen to me. CD Projekt had no games to their name, the Witcher action-adventure game had fizzled out and died in the early stages of development, and gaming wasn't making more money than the film and music industries combined. It's easy for folks with the benefit of hindsight to say they'd have done things differently, but you have to put yourself in Sap's shoes, not transpose your current self onto his image like a bad photoshop.
Yes, it could. However, a deal is a deal. He didn't think it would work and thought he got the better of CDP. He even admitted to gloating about it. Only when it took off that he went into a rage of green-eyed envy. "Too bad, so sad nevermind" would have been my reaction to his hissy fit, too.

Squid

Arbiter
If I were an older man who didn't understand how new things in the world worked, tried to sell my intellectual property rights to a game company that I was convinced would never work and make the most out of it in a single transaction, and had it all end up making millions, I'd be upset too. I get why he wants his money and I'd feel the same. That's not the point. The point is he said "gimme that money now because you won't make enough to make this worth my time" and then regrets it.
I'm not even saying I'd do anything differently, I'm just saying you make mistakes in life and sometimes you have to live with it. It's not like he's successful anyway.
It's also arrogant as fuck for him to think that his books didn't get an increase in sales due to the games.

Oracsbox

CDP should just switch to Elric Of Melnibone that way they can keep the white haired hero and laugh at Sapkowski.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CDP should just switch to Drizzt Do'Urden that way they can keep the white haired hero and laugh at Sapkowski.
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books). Although I don't think any game can do justice to Drizzt. The level of his combat abilities (described in the books) is on anime levels.

Oracsbox

CDP should just switch to Roy Batty for cyberpunk that way they can keep the white haired hero and laugh at Sapkowski.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books)
How many books are you a fan of? I use it to measure people's retardation.
2-3 books: prodigy level.
9 books: the reading guy is a slow learner.
If it's the amount is so high that everyone Drizzt knew is dead of old age, the level of retardation is considered supreme.

Tytus

Arcane
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books)
If it's the amount is so high that everyone Drizzt knew is dead of old age, the level of retardation is considered supreme.

I don't know about J_C but I read The Dark Elf trilogy and Crystal Shard trilogy when I was like 11-12 and I really liked them back then. And I have to admit it is the best age for reading those books - when you are a little older the shit writing starts to get to you. But I still have a soft spot for Drizzt in my heart because of nostalgia and childhood experiences.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's just say that I've read all of them, but I wasn't a big fan of the last 2 trilogy. I got some enjoyment out of them, but it is clear that it just about milking from Salvatore's part. I always said to myselft that I stop reading them, but I just like the world which was built up in those books. But after the steep decline in the last 6 books, I really want to stop reading them.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
CDP should just switch to Drizzt Do'Urden that way they can keep the white haired hero and laugh at Sapkowski.
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books). Although I don't think any game can do justice to Drizzt. The level of his combat abilities (described in the books) is on anime levels.

I don't know about J_C but I read The Dark Elf trilogy and Crystal Shard trilogy when I was like 11-12 and I really liked them back then. And I have to admit it is the best age for reading those books - when you are a little older the shit writing starts to get to you. But I still have a soft spot for Drizzt in my heart because of nostalgia and childhood experiences.
I think i read up to fifteen of the series. :oops:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

I think i read up to fifteen of the series. :oops:
:love:

attackfighter

Magister
I remember him being accused of ripping off this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné

Moorcock's works were available in soviet Poland when Sapkowski wrote the first short story in 1986?

Some evidence that Sapkowski borrowed from Moorcock: in the second Corum trilogy there are references to a great conjunction that allowed various beings to cross multidimensional space; in the Witcher universe a similar conjunction allowed humans and various fantastic creatures to enter the plane of the elves and dwarves. While Moorcock doesn't have a monopoly on multiverse lore, he is a famous utilizer of it, and in corroboration with the other evidence, Geralt's appearance and moral ambiguity and so forth, it points towards Moorcock being an influence on Sapkowski. I would term the relationship 'influence' rather than plagiarism, though. It should be noted that Elric's albino appearance itself derives from an earlier pulp hero called 'Monsieur Zenith', and that many of Elric's other attributes similarly derive from earlier canon. I would say that the art of storytelling is not in creating something from nothing, but in reconfiguring extant tropes in novel and interesting ways.

Azarkon

Arcane
Sapkowski vs R.A. Salvatore: who is more decline and why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom