Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sapkowski demands CDPR pay him more

Cael

Arcane
CDP should just switch to Drizzt Do'Urden that way they can keep the white haired hero and laugh at Sapkowski.
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books). Although I don't think any game can do justice to Drizzt. The level of his combat abilities (described in the books) is on anime levels.
That is because he is a level 18 fighter fighting 10,000 level 1 orcs... :P

Cael

Arcane
CDP should just switch to Drizzt Do'Urden that way they can keep the white haired hero and laugh at Sapkowski.
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books). Although I don't think any game can do justice to Drizzt. The level of his combat abilities (described in the books) is on anime levels.
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books)
How many books are you a fan of? I use it to measure people's retardation.
2-3 books: prodigy level.
9 books: the reading guy is a slow learner.
If it's the amount is so high that everyone Drizzt knew is dead of old age, the level of retardation is considered supreme.

I don't know about J_C but I read The Dark Elf trilogy and Crystal Shard trilogy when I was like 11-12 and I really liked them back then. And I have to admit it is the best age for reading those books - when you are a little older the shit writing starts to get to you. But I still have a soft spot for Drizzt in my heart because of nostalgia and childhood experiences.
I think i read up to fifteen of the series. :oops:
I read up to the Orc King trilogy, where Obould and Bruenor made peace and ushered in a golden age for the region. It was starting to go a bit crazy by then what with the whacko gnome and the psycho blade taking over a non-combatant... After that, I gave up, what with the crazy reincarnation crap and all the dead old characters coming back for round 2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just saying this makes my dick hard. (I know know...but I'm a big fan of the books)
If it's the amount is so high that everyone Drizzt knew is dead of old age, the level of retardation is considered supreme.

I don't know about J_C but I read The Dark Elf trilogy and Crystal Shard trilogy when I was like 11-12 and I really liked them back then. And I have to admit it is the best age for reading those books - when you are a little older the shit writing starts to get to you. But I still have a soft spot for Drizzt in my heart because of nostalgia and childhood experiences.
I read up to the Orc King trilogy, where Obould and Bruenor made peace and ushered in a golden age for the region. It was starting to go a bit crazy by then what with the whacko gnome and the psycho blade taking over a non-combatant... After that, I gave up, what with the crazy reincarnation crap and all the dead old characters coming back for round 2.
The reincarnation part should have been the tipping point for me, because it is so fucking retarded. Unfortunately I have started reading those books and if I start, I usually want to finish a book.

Cael

Arcane

The reincarnation part should have been the tipping point for me, because it is so fucking retarded. Unfortunately I have started reading those books and if I start, I usually want to finish a book.
Salvatore should have stuck to his guns after killing off Cadderly. By that time, only Driz'zt and Danica was left. It was a good time to end the whole thing.

Instead, he was convinced to come back for more, and had to come up with retarded shit to bring his characters back. Heck, even Catti-Brie sent back by Mielekki to save Driz'zt would have been a better method than that reincarnation crap...!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Salvatore should have stuck to his guns after killing off Cadderly. By that time, only Driz'zt and Danica was left. It was a good time to end the whole thing.

Instead, he was convinced to come back for more, and had to come up with retarded shit to bring his characters back. Heck, even Catti-Brie sent back by Mielekki to save Driz'zt would have been a better method than that reincarnation crap...!
And lets not forget the way Drizzt almost died. Mortally wounded by the elf Dahlia, because he didn't want to hurt her. So this legendary warrior lets himself killed without defending himself. Logical.

Cael

Arcane
And lets not forget the way Drizzt almost died. Mortally wounded by the elf Dahlia, because he didn't want to hurt her. So this legendary warrior lets himself killed without defending himself. Logical.
Did practically the same thing with that Moon Elf girl earlier in the series (when they went looking for Mithril Hall, I think). The idiot has form.

Squid

Arbiter
I remember him being accused of ripping off this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné

Moorcock's works were available in soviet Poland when Sapkowski wrote the first short story in 1986?

Some evidence that Sapkowski borrowed from Moorcock: in the second Corum trilogy there are references to a great conjunction that allowed various beings to cross multidimensional space; in the Witcher universe a similar conjunction allowed humans and various fantastic creatures to enter the plane of the elves and dwarves. While Moorcock doesn't have a monopoly on multiverse lore, he is a famous utilizer of it, and in corroboration with the other evidence, Geralt's appearance and moral ambiguity and so forth, it points towards Moorcock being an influence on Sapkowski. I would term the relationship 'influence' rather than plagiarism, though. It should be noted that Elric's albino appearance itself derives from an earlier pulp hero called 'Monsieur Zenith', and that many of Elric's other attributes similarly derive from earlier canon. I would say that the art of storytelling is not in creating something from nothing, but in reconfiguring extant tropes in novel and interesting ways.
I'd agree with you, it's not plagiarism, plagiarism is much worse than this. I was just pointing out people have claimed it as plagiarism (even Moorcock according to Wikipedia) because Sapkowski refuses to acknowledge Elric as any sort of influence on the Witcher works.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Who cares what influenced a one dimensional character? Read some good fantasy, try Lev Grossman.

Squid

Arbiter
Who cares what influenced a one dimensional character? Read some good fantasy, try Lev Grossman.
I'm not really sure. Probably lots of people to be honest because people need their pitchforks even when it doesn't really matter. I don't care much about what influenced what unless the influencing work is also as interesting as whatever I'm observing.

Gerrard

Arcane
I only skimmed the text and didn't see this part until someone pointed it out
I would also like to mention that we are aware not only of your intent to actually and legitimately (!)
purchase all copyright from Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski, but also of specific offers which have been extended
in this regard.
Why would they be trying to purchase the copyrights if they already had them?

Anyway the talks will be next week so :kfc:

opener

Literate
I think that he should get extra cash because the revenue is multiplied higher than salary. If they get an agreement with him - they should get it. In other way, judges will decide.

I only skimmed the text and didn't see this part until someone pointed it out
I would also like to mention that we are aware not only of your intent to actually and legitimately (!)
purchase all copyright from Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski, but also of specific offers which have been extended
in this regard.
Why would they be trying to purchase the copyrights if they already had them?

Anyway the talks will be next week so :kfc:
Lending the rights =/= owning the rights. Sapkowski most likely partook in lending his rights aka made it available for use to CDPR. This means Sapkowski owns the rights to the Witcher trademark but doesn't own the Witcher game franchise, but he has allowed CDPR to make property containing his trademark. This means they want to buy the exclusive rights to Witcher games for good, I think.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Settlement, CDPR will pay him some money in a form of recognition (not obligation), reportedly much lower amount than what he was asking: https://wccftech.com/the-witcher-compensation-cd-projekt-red/

The Witcher Author To Receive Further Compensation From CD Projekt Red, Report Claims

Back in October, we have learned that The Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski was demanding 60 million PLN from CD Projekt Red, as the original deal between the Polish author and the developer was only for the original The Witcher and not for its sequels and spin-off games. The two parties, according to a fresh report, have reached an agreement.

The report comes from Puls Biznesu, who claims that an amicable settlement has been reached. Sapkowski will be offered further compensation from CD Projekt Red, but the amount will be much lower than what Sapkowski was asking. Additionally, this compensation is a form of recognition for Sapkowski’s work and to maintain a healthy relationship with him.

The original deal between the polish author and CD Projekt Red saw Sapkowski receive a fixed sum of 35.000 PLN, around $9.350. The author and his lawyers deemed that it was not enough, and additional royalties had to be paid.

In the Company’s opinion the demands expressed in the notice are groundless with regard to their merit as well as the stipulated amount. The Company had legitimately and legally acquired copyright to Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski’s work, i.a. insofar as is required for its use in games developed by the Company. All liabilities payable by the Company in association therewith have been properly discharged.

It is the Company’s will to maintain good relations with authors of works which have inspired CD PROJEKT RED’s own creations. Consequently, the Board will go to great lengths to ensure amicable resolution of this dispute; however, any such resolution must be respectful of previously expressed intents of both parties, as well as existing contracts.​

Stokowski

Arcane
I hope the "further compensation" CDPR offer the stupid arsehole is 1zł. He insisted on a flat fee in the first place instead of ongoing royalties. Tough.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sapkowski vs R.A. Salvatore: who is more decline and why?

Sapkowski wrote some decent novels.

R.A. Salvatore wrote that fanfiction piece of shit called Drizzt who is the worst character ever.

grom

Educated
I hope the "further compensation" CDPR offer the stupid arsehole is 1zł. He insisted on a flat fee in the first place instead of ongoing royalties. Tough.
Not only that, he basically insulted CDPR as well, saying that he had no faith in them and video games are stupid. Miserable old cunt couldn't be just be glad that people liked his work enough to create an adaption of it. And as stated elsewhere in this thread no one held a gun to his head in the first place. Now he has the gall to do this? Fuck off.

Thal

Augur
Miserable old cunt couldn't be just be glad that people liked his work enough to create an adaption of it.

Would you be though? You were dumb and got 10k and they got to build an empire out of it. Out of your creation. You know that you are likely to get way more, if you just lawyer up and go for the settlement. Would you do it?

Nah, I'm just happy they liked my stories. And what a bargain it was for them! Heh, I guess I should do better next time. :) That's capitalism and I'm a capitalist, more power to them, I say!

Codex Year of the Donut
Miserable old cunt couldn't be just be glad that people liked his work enough to create an adaption of it.

Would you be though? You were dumb and got 10k and they got to build an empire out of it. Out of your creation. You know that you are likely to get way more, if you just lawyer up and go for the settlement. Would you do it?

Nah, I'm just happy they liked my stories. And what a bargain it was for them! Heh, I guess I should do better next time. :) That's capitalism and I'm a capitalist, more power to them, I say!

You don't get to bitch about lost opportunity when you took the safe option. You don't understand that you don't deserve to be compensated for refusing to take risks.

Thal

Augur

You don't get to bitch about lost opportunity when you took the safe option. You don't understand that you don't deserve to be compensated for refusing to take risks.

Guess he didn't get that memo. Instead he got a ton of money. But you'd understand that you don't deserve anything more. You'd refuse the money.

grom

Educated

You misinterpreted me. I don't expect him to be happy with his deal now. I wouldn't be. What I meant was, back then, he could have just wished CDPR best of luck (or at least kept quiet), when what he did instead was act like an arrogant jerk. Just makes me much less sympathetic to his current situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom