Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I can see the appeal for some things, like if you wanted to finish up the tech gadget thing that needs a million parts but didn't know one of them dropped off spriggans for example. But I actually like being surprised by that kind of stuff myself.

I've played all the way through Omnir's modpack back in the day, beat the endboss in Calamity a year or so ago (I think they added several since then but nothing above it) and some even older mod back when people were just straight up dumping sprites from old final fantasy games in as bosses. Calamity is the most popular one for good reason. All the vanilla bosses are pretty much a total joke once you've beaten them and know what pattern to move in. If anything what these mods should be doing is replacing the bosses instead of just adding them.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since 1.2 allowed you to craft things directly from chests, i just put chests containing the raw materials near their crafting station - ie, ores go near the furnace, ingots near the anvil, plants and stuff near the alchemist station, etc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since 1.2 allowed you to craft things directly from chests, i just put chests containing the raw materials near their crafting station - ie, ores go near the furnace, ingots near the anvil, plants and stuff near the alchemist station, etc.

This is a very nice solution, and is further improved with the "sort all items into nearby chests" button, but one must ask out loud if there still isn't room for improvement without opting for a "my pockets are singularities leading into Dimension Z"-inventory.

In my mod-testing play sessions lately I've started from scratch three times and each time I dread the moment when I realize it's time to re-arrange my hastily-built first base and make a large room for all the chests I'm going to need.

On that note, one further change coming in 1.3.6 - several stacks that were too restrictive in size will be expanded to 999 - namely torches, ores and various things that go Boom.

Damned Registrations

That's a mod I can get behind for sure. Storage space hasn't been a real issue since waaay back when dirt only stacked to 100 and there was no auto sorting or piggy banks. At this point you find so many chests and they're so easy to make and grant so much storage that the only difficulty is having to place crafting stations near the right materials, which is just a hassle that restricts how you make your base and makes dropping garbage off slightly more annoying.
What we need is an infinite-size stack for gel.
I'd rather have the option to ban certain materials from dropping. When you're roaming through a half dozen biomes looking for a rare ore, you can easily end up with 20 types of useless dirt in your inventory, and you don't want to leave it full because then you'll miss out on good shit like dyes or other rare crafting shit.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd rather have the option to ban certain materials from dropping.

One solution is using the Auto-Trash mod. You can assign materials and items and they will be automatically dropped on the trash can of your inventory upon pick-up. I played with it last time and it works wonders.

Another mod that I can recommend is the Helpful Hotkeys mod. Just some QOL commands that makes life much easier, highlights are the "Buff only with favorite potions" key, the "Quick Use Item #20" key, that lets you keep some item on the #20 slot for quick use and "Auto-Recall" and "Auto-Torch" that frees your quickbar for more useful items.

And I'm out of this thread before I reinstall and lose another chunk of my life to this game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Funny thing that. I'm still mucking about in Thorium and I'm experiencing (for the very first time) a gel shortage. Like in, I'm having trouble scraping together enough gel to even keep a 99-torch stack going.

I had to sit in a place yesterday and farm slimes for their gel because I was out of torches. I'm actually waiting and hoping for a King Slime event to come up. This really ramps up the survival horror aspect of the game.

I also had my first Thorium Blood Moon, that was a riot. To protect my base from Blood Moon attacks I tend to put a single Dirt block in front of every door leading outside, so that it can't be bashed down by the zombies. Thorium circumvents that by having these small maggots appear during Blood Moons that slip under the block and break down the door from there. Now I just board up the door entirely with Dirt Blocks.

One aspect of Thorium that I really dislike is how they flat-out remove certain vanilla recipes. Planked Walls are a no-no for some reason, but so are all the phased blades you build from gems. I don't mind previously established weapon progressions being changed or removed, but I've yet to see any viable replacements, as most of the new items I'm seeing are geared towards the "new" multiplayer-only classes. I'm getting a strong vibe that this mod is trying to tell me that I'm Doing It Wrong.

...are there any mods out there that generally add more monsters without being overambitious 'overhaul' mods like the ones I've been playing?

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
They should've made bigger chests. Everything was fine until they added 50 new materials and then some of those materials have to be used in 2-3 different crafting stations that you can't always put next to each other in the range of the chest, because there are already 5 other crafting stations there.

Damned Registrations

I had to sit in a place yesterday and farm slimes for their gel because I was out of torches. I'm actually waiting and hoping for a King Slime event to come up. This really ramps up the survival horror aspect of the game.
Just buy torches. They're like 40 cp or something. 1 gp will buy you thousands.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Just buy torches. They're like 40 cp or something. 1 gp will buy you thousands.

Now might be a good time to mention my empty pockets, due to having to buy other basic resources... :rage:

I'm actually enjoying this somewhat, I'm just wondering if this is my Bad Luck striking again, or whether Thorium is doing this purposefully.

Damned Registrations

You must be at the very begining to have money problems, any boss will drop enough crap to give you several gold at the very least.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
As 1.3.6 approaches, new stuff gets introduced. Like Scarab Bombs:

index.php

They're added as part of a major overhaul of the Desert biome... one I can agree is long overdue.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
IMO Terraria is a much superior game compared to Minecraft. Better visuals, better content, better exploration, better gameplay (except maybe building - it felt more fun in Minecraft).

Still, I have fond memories of discovering Minecraft and playing it for the first time. That game just blew me away in 2011.

Don't know why exactly I wrote this, just felt like sharing

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Sounds by the name like this is going to be the last real update to the game so they can focus on other projects. That's ok, the game already got more support past release than most games ever made. Hopefully there is new post moonlord content or more bosses.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I thought that, too, but someone told me the name is in reference to a mod in which a lot of these updates are based upon. Still, it would be nice to think Terraria 2 might be announced sooner than 2025.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
$20-30 per person revenue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom