Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The first AC is probably the better in terms of historical accuracy and the setting. Probably only on the few reedeming aspects of that game.

maxresdefault.jpg

In Odyssey, the tentation of mixing actual Greece with it's mythology and creative freedom was just too big to resist, the setting almost lends itself. As a curiosity, I've read recently that Ubisoft had a lof ot troubles finding information for the egyptian setting in Origins, since the information of that civilization is little in comparison with others. They had to ask to egyptian historians and stuff.

Prime Junta

should I buy this if I got bored with origins?

I dunno, maybe? It's more of the same, minus some historical verisimilitude and plus better brawling and a smidgen more RPG. I think it's safe to say that if liked Origins and aren't as autistic about the verisimilitude as I am, you'll probably like it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Remember that Ubi never wanted to design these games with selectable gender. It's because sjw's gave them so much shit over iirc AC: Unity not having a gender option that they started adding selectable gender to these games. Kassandra is not meant to be a feature, she's only a concession. So don't blame Ubi for half-assing it.

Prime Junta

Remember that Ubi never wanted to design these games with selectable gender. It's because sjw's gave them so much shit over iirc AC: Revolution not having a gender option that they started adding selectable gender to these games. Kassandra is not meant to be a feature, she's only a concession.

This is exactly my problem with her. They half-arsed it. Better to leave the option out altogether, or go full feminist fury with her launching a bloody storm of retribution on the assorted patriarchies of the Eastern Mediterranean. Pulling a FemShep and calling it a day is unacceptable.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't know, I'm 50 hours in and no one has screamed "YOU LEAVE THIS JOB TO A WOMAN HOW DARE YOU BAYEK!" like Caesar did in origin, I'd say their writing about gender equality is much more subtle this time.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh well, bit the bullet. Only 20% off with uPlay. Fuck you guys.

Played for 4 hours now.
Playing on hard, took about 3 hours till the title name came up, and I did everything on that island, even those note puzzles. I usually dont have the patience for question mark derping bit I figured its a small island. Rest i derped on a boat. Lv 7 so far.

I can still instagib most of the soldiers with sneaky sneaky, bow and arrow got degraded compared to Origins, Predator is now lame, harder to control and uses an adrenaline bar. Can still kite quite decently tho.

Theres some matrix shit going on when dodging, regular melee brawl seems to take way more time than needed, maybe my gear sucks. Still cheeze is the way to go to shorten battles.

Rng on items is a bit shit tho, like a bow with 4% assassin damage? Why? I need it to boost hunter damage, nothing else if Im gonna use it.

Also whooped that first lv5 faggot merc at lv 4 just to see how bad is level difference. Doable.

Finally, the boat is kinda gay compared to Black Flag, also those upgrade reqs just reek of shitty balancing, prob to boost those microtransactions.

Prime Junta

Also whooped that first lv5 faggot merc at lv 4 just to see how bad is level difference. Doable.

me too

...but fuck does it take for ever and a day.

there's a really cheesy way to beat him btw

clip clop clip clop WHAP clip clop clip clop, rinse and repeat

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
As far I saw, exploration mode is a kind of mixed bag between real exploration and quests marking certain things. It's weird, but no doubt that is more demanding that what Bethesda games offer since 2006. :stunned:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

me too

...but fuck does it take for ever and a day.

there's a really cheesy way to beat him btw

clip clop clip clop WHAP clip clop clip clop, rinse and repeat
His weaknesses are backstab and arrows. So started with backstab, did a heavy combo, backed off when he goes red and kited with headshots. He is a sponge tho.

ADL

Prophet
As far I saw, exploration mode is a kind of mixed bag between real exploration and quests marking certain things. It's weird, but no doubt that is more demanding that what Bethesda games offer since 2006.
Yeah it's a mixed bag when it comes to side quests. They didn't record the dialog that gives you directions for side quests for a lot of them. I hope exploration mode is a hit so that way they'll go all in with it for AC2020.
I've seen people complain about having to use the bird to pinpoint the exact location once you get in the general area (within 200 feet) but even Breath of the Wild had you climbing towers and people blasted Ubisoft for those (it's okay when Nintendo does it) so I don't see how you could have exploration mode in a map this large and detailed. Bird or towers, gotta pick one.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
t's because sjw's gave them so much shit over iirc AC: Unity not having a gender option that they started adding selectable gender to these games.
It's more that people were making fun of them, beceause Ubisoft pulled bullshit excuses for not making female leads and playable characters in multiplayer, such as "animating woman costs too much". They were too afaraid to say that Male leads sell game much better than female ones.
One of the reasons why Syndicate marketing was so focused on Jacob with none-existant Eve. They only now started doin both-gender marketing, but still it focuses on Male much more. It's all about money, really.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
As far I saw, exploration mode is a kind of mixed bag between real exploration and quests marking certain things. It's weird, but no doubt that is more demanding that what Bethesda games offer since 2006.
Yeah it's a mixed bag when it comes to side quests. They didn't record the dialog that gives you directions for side quests for a lot of them. I hope exploration mode is a hit so that way they'll go all in with it for AC2020.
I've seen people complain about having to use the bird to pinpoint the exact location once you get in the general area (within 200 feet) but even Breath of the Wild had you climbing towers and people blasted Ubisoft for those (it's okay when Nintendo does it) so I don't see how you could have exploration mode in a map this large and detailed. Bird or towers, gotta pick one.

The problem aren't the towers or the bird by themselves. The problem is how they work. Breath of the wild towers for example only reveals the orography of the terrain. All the stuff is left to be found by the player. Santuaries must be enabled first if you want to teleport/fast travel later to them. Places like cities and stables get marked on the map when you discover them. Other places of interest are never marked by the game, but the player can place different marks in the map, customizing it (It's a shame that they cut all the Wii U pad interactive map stuff).

The key with is to be a tool for helping the player, but just a little bit. I think AC should keep the bird thing, but eliminate all the radar stuff attached to it. Using the bird for watching the landscape in detail only.

Prime Junta

Played a bit more and ... not feeling it. It just feels by-the-numbers and uninspired, and also extremely railroaded. Despite its flaws, Origins had some soul and passion in it, whereas this is just entirely meh.

I was railroaded/half-tricked into a quest to assassinate my own dear daddy. To get to him I need to win the trust of the Spartans by helping them kick the Athenians out of a neutral city. Thing is, I don't want to. Fuck the Spartans. I'd rather side with the Athenians and shit on that contract. But AFAICT there's no way: when I approached the palace where the local bossman is, the entire royal guard went aggro on me.

I thought this was supposed to be a RPG with at least a little choice and consequence. So far at least it's not -- it's entirely linear, and it forces me into doing things I'd really rather not be doing, and that in an open-world game I shouldn't be forced to do. I'd refund except I've already played too much for that.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So 50% off GotY edition next summer?

I never understood why people pay full price for DLC driven games like this.

SpoilVictor

Educated
It's funny how fast Ubi fell into the very same trap.

Original AC was interesting but underdeveloped concept, so they perfected it (for wide action-adventure oriented audience) in AC 2, and started to milk living shit out of franchise. To the point ppl couldn't take it anymore. So they "reinvented" the formula, and second game in nuAC is *drums roll* uninspired sequel milking franchise... Will they ever learn? I'm taking educated guess that AC: China/Vikings/Persia/Japan or whatever they will cook up in 2020 will get player fatigue already.

This whole Kassandra thing is really sad tbh. It is minimum effort to satisfy SJW/PC. She is canon protagonist (will get book and shit) but whole game defaults dialog and reactions to male protagonist. From narrative point of view Alexios is just skin for Kassandra as "real" hero. And Kassandra is genderless potato 'cause no one ever acknowledges her being a woman... They should made her only protagonist, hire half-competent writer to made her at least decently realized character (like more complex than "I have vagina and I kick asses") and just roll with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom