Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Uncle Phil has Playground (supposedly) on Open World RPG duty, I don't think MS would be gunning for Obsidian if they wanted another studio doing that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, the most important question is this - for what purpose is Microsoft acquiring Obsidian?

To make console-centric AAA action-RPGs (something they can already do with that dev they acquired to make Fable 4), or to be what Firaxis is for Take-Two Interactive?

It could be either. Microsoft haven't proven themselves to be very smart in the past, so I wouldn't put anything past them.

Exactly. With proper leadership, they should be able to recognize that Obsidian has a steady fanbase in PC games and while making multiplatform games is given. Abandoning PC centric games would be stupid choice considering what they are buying. Getting a studio that makes certain kind of games for a certain market and then having them to do completely the opposite would be quite fucking stupid.

Problem with these bigger corporations are that the CEO might change 2 years from now and their whole direction as a company will shift.
How come you don't have half of Roguey 's tags? You are talking like a fan boy,that shit won't happen no matter what. leadership is no that important compared to the talent working beneath it. Obsidian managed to make some very good games even with shitty leadership. Kicking off Feargus won't magically make all the devs talented! We will only see decline and popamole shit from them.

Sentinel

Arcane
do you have a sauce?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-leonard-boyarsky.119594/page-12#post-5813915
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-leonard-boyarsky.119594/page-13#post-5819404

I don't see the owners staying long after a possible sell. Chris Jones barely works even now, after getting millions of dollars? No way. I really doubt they would even want to keep him at the company.
Feargus is the face of the company and probably the only one any buyer would want to keep for a while.
The whole thing was needed so the c-level could safely drive into sunset with bags of cash. That's probably the only positive thing. The negative thing is that the new leadership will probably have nothing to lead after that (see Bioware).
Damn I completely missed this. That's pretty sad.
:negative:

Latelistener

Arcane
With proper leadership, they should be able to recognize that Obsidian has a steady fanbase in PC games and while making multiplatform games is given.
Microsoft will rape it, pour a large can of gasoline on it and flick a lighter. With the money they have they could do that just for entertainment.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Wonder how good the "deadfire just barely broke even" discount was for MSFT. Congrats to Feargus finally achieving his dream.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Feargus is, probably, the worst manager, ever, in the industry. After a dozen problems (including screwing things with Microsoft), this may be the best move he has ever made, at Obsidian.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Feargus is, probably, the worst manager, ever, in the industry. After a dozen problems (including screwing things with Microsoft), this may be the best move he has ever made, at Obsidian.
He is so bad that he managed to keep an independent medium sized RPG developer afloat for more than a decade, while all similar studios went bankrupt. Yes, he is the worst manager ever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TT1 is just being edgy, but really people shouldn't be saying stuff like that just days after the news of Telltale's closure.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
TT1 is just being edgy, but really people shouldn't be saying stuff like that just days after the news of Telltale's closure.
I don't see the similarity between Obsidian's and Telltale's case. Unless you are saying that just because a company does not go bankrupt, the manager could be terrible. Which is be true, but surviving as an cRPG developer for this long on this market must mean that Feargus was doing something right.

Flou

Arbiter
How come you don't have half of Roguey 's tags? You are talking like a fan boy,that shit won't happen no matter what. leadership is no that important compared to the talent working beneath it. Obsidian managed to make some very good games even with shitty leadership. Kicking off Feargus won't magically make all the devs talented! We will only see decline and popamole shit from them.

They will end up keeping Feargus for a while. "Smooth" transition and the face for the company for that phase, just like with BioWare and the Doctors.
With Feargus leaving, some of the less talented people who've had a shield (wasn't this something Avellone claimed) will lose their immunity and will be replaced. Unless of course the new Studio Director will be someone from Obsidian in which case they could still have someone looking out for them.

Current talent pool won't suddenly get more talented, but they will be able to get better hires when they can actually pay competitive salary to their new recruits (and some of their older guys they want to keep), instead of bleeding talent due to Obsidian paying less than most would get at a larger studio.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't see the similarity between Obsidian's and Telltale's case. Unless you are saying that just because a company does not go bankrupt, the manager could be terrible. Which is be true, but surviving as an cRPG developer for this long on this market must mean that Feargus was doing something right.

Feargus did nothing right. They survived solely due to there being a strong lack of cRPGs being released for a long period of time. As soon as real competition began to emerge all the talent fled Obsidian like rats from a sinking ship. None of it is merely a coincidence.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wonder how good the "deadfire just barely broke even" discount was for MSFT

What makes you think it's broken even yet?
I doubt it. Its player count bare spiked with a 1000 players more than the last weak,when the last dlc came out. It went to around 2700-2800 players. Soo by those numbers it must have sold around 10,000-20,000 copies....on steam that is. If you take away all the season passes buys....well it would be between 8,000 and 15,000.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

They will end up keeping Feargus for a while. "Smooth" transition and the face for the company for that phase, just like with BioWare and the Doctors.
With Feargus leaving, some of the less talented people who've had a shield (wasn't this something Avellone claimed) will lose their immunity and will be replaced. Unless of course the new Studio Director will be someone from Obsidian in which case they could still have someone looking out for them.

Current talent pool won't suddenly get more talented, but they will be able to get better hires when they can actually pay competitive salary to their new recruits (and some of their older guys they want to keep), instead of bleeding talent due to Obsidian paying less than most would get at a larger studio.
That is......very naive view of corporate structure mate. Most likely the new cio will be a lot worst than Feargus. As for talent....well the most talented people there didn't really cared that much about how big the pay was. They were there because it was the only studio where you could make old school rpgs. They were/are talented and passionate about RPGs. If they wanted really good salary,they wouldn't have worked in Obsidian.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, I'm agreeing with you. It's crazy to call Feargus the worst manager ever after seeing what happened to Telltale.

Dodo1610

Arcane
So they are going to make Microsoft's TWitcher clone. It should be good for Pc gamers in theory if Microsoft actually invests money in PC/Xbox games. At the moment the most polished AAA titles are PS4 of switch exclusives maybe this will change in the next console generation.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

No, I'm agreeing with you. It's crazy to call Feargus the worst manager ever after seeing what happened to Telltale.
Oh, OK. Sorry, didn't get your point at first. :)

Flou

Arbiter
That is......very naive view of corporate structure mate. Most likely the new cio will be a lot worst than Feargus. As for talent....well the most talented people there didn't really cared that much about how big the pay was. They were there because it was the only studio where you could make old school rpgs. They were/are talented and passionate about RPGs. If they wanted really good salary,they wouldn't have worked in Obsidian.

Maybe that's how things work in Bulgaria. I've seen my share of better bosses and worse bosses. Feargus has his faults, and so will anyone who replaces him.
MS owned studio will have more resources than an indie developer, no matter who leads the company. I doubt they are buying a company just to run it to the ground on purpose.

Those talented people were young back then and didn't have a family to support. It's a lot different tale when you've got kids to feed. If you are barely getting by, at some point you will look at other opportunities. It's not the 1950's, hardly anyone works for the same company for their whole damn career.
And when exactly did you conduct this interview of yours? You also make it sound like they've lost every bit of talent they've ever had.

zombietoads

Novice
microbsidian.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom