Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Monster Hunter World does not properly detect the number of CPU cores, one main thread dedicated to anti-debug code
AUGUST 27, 2018 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS 7 COMMENTS

Modder Kaldaien has announced that he will no longer develop his Special-K mod for Monster Hunter World, stating that Capcom’s anti-debug code seriously messes things up for modders. Not only that, but the modder has discovered some pretty interesting details about how the engine handles and uses its cores, and these findings could potentially explain why the game is so CPU-heavy bound.

According to the modder, Monster Hunter World is currently unable to properly detect the number of CPU cores that PC gamers have in their systems. The game’s logic assumes that everyone has a 32-core processors and scales its threads accordingly, even though some gamers can only have CPUs with only 4 or 8 cores/threads.

Furthermore, Kaldaien claimed that one main thread is dedicated solely to its “anti-debug code” and that 25% of the entire CPU workload is simply overhead from all the threads that can be generated (something we’ve already covered).

The game’s anti-debug code is so strict that it may potentially impact the game’s performance. As Kaldaien claimed:

“I’m just going to leave it at that for now. I have found and defeated the mechanism they use to prevent debugger breakpoints (was causing kernel-mode bottlenecks and lower performance). I also can plainly see what looks like an intentional design using AK to corrupt critical sections and crash the game when you attempt to mod it. I worked around that (Slightly)”

Unless Capcom decides to remove its anti-debug code, Kaldaien will no longer be working on his Special-K mod for Monster Hunter World. Whether Denuvo or Capcom is at fault here for this anti-debug code remains a mystery.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Also, some white racists say Denuvo also fucked up Injustice 2:

Crackers claim that Denuvo anti-tamper tech causes stuttering issues in Injustice 2
AUGUST 26, 2018 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS 28 COMMENTS

Yesterday, a hacking group – called CODEX – has cracked Injustice 2 and while this game is a bit old, the group discovered the source of some of the game’s stuttering issues that a few gamers have been experiencing.

According to the group, the Denuvo anti-tamper tech causes small freezes/stutters in Injustice 2 when players are using Gorilla or Robin. As the group pointed out.

“For example when Robin does one of his special attacks, throwing a smoke bomb on the ground, Denuvo starts writing a private key to the memory. Then it fills the buffer and when everything is filled and the key is obtained by Denuvo itself, it starts executing anti-tamper checks.”

As reports suggested, players have been experiencing stuttering issues when using Gorilla and this may have explained why this was happening.

Of course this does not really surprise us. Tekken 7 was another game that suffered from stuttering issues due to the Denuvo anti-tamper tech (though it was thankfully fixed. On the other hand, Injustice 2 still suffers from those stutters and the only way you can overcome them is by using a more powerful CPU).

Duraframe300

Arcane
Kaldaien shilled denuvo?

I remember him refusing on a game because of denuvo (Or that one denuvo like) way back in 2016 already.

Edit: Just read up on some of the drama. Huh. Then again Kaldaien has always been eccentric as fuck.

flyingjohn

Arcane
It doesn't cause any major performance loss.There is no evidence for that whatsoever.
Monster hunter word is just the typical Jap inability to understand optimization.

As for the idiocy of a modder supporting anti tamper software,well that is just stupidity.

Vorark

Erudite
There's a thread about Denuvo already.

Anyway, MHW is probably affected by this crap but as others mentioned, it's also a case of Japanese porting. I mean:

According to the modder, Monster Hunter World is currently unable to properly detect the number of CPU cores that PC gamers have in their systems. The game’s logic assumes that everyone has a 32-core processors and scales its threads accordingly, even though some gamers can only have CPUs with only 4 or 8 cores/threads.

:roll:

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a thread about Denuvo already.

Anyway, MHW is probably affected by this crap but as others mentioned, it's also a case of Japanese porting. I mean:

:roll:
Why is every jap port so awful?

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm sure all those "anti-cheat" checks will not affect the performance in any way, presumably by the means of magic.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Looks like Denuvo is making a come back, incidentally. No release for Monster Hunter World, for Yakuza 0, for Jurassic Park Evolution, for Dragon Quest XI...

This is like super sad.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like Denuvo is making a come back, incidentally. No release for Monster Hunter World, for Yakuza 0, for Jurassic Park Evolution, for Dragon Quest XI...

This is like super sad.

The DRM of old didn't get frequent updates (if any). Denuvo already has a ton of iterations. It'll probably stick around for a good while because of that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

This is like super sad.
Jurastic is buggy mess.
Monster hunter is MMO like which can wait.
And DQ XI is out somewhat cracked. But franky I heard streamer moaning loudly *1, so I'd guess it's an example of game that was nice free of charge in emulation, not so much for money on PC.

1* Literally. Like I don't want to stream it anymore. Oh no. Not again. Yup it's big spider, what did you thought you sherlock? I should probably attack these lizards I guess. They would never do such cool stuff in my party.

Basically when you are 14, you'd have a blast. When you are in age you can afford it...

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Denuvo is understandable as a messure for the “release window” of new games... but leaving it in the game after that is such a dick move; it has been proven that it affects performance so most sensible companies take it out after it has been cracked or after the release window (usually the first month) but from the look of it things things are going they are going to keep using that shit on upcoming games like Resident Evil 2

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Still no Monster Hunter, no Yakuza, no Tomb Raider, no Assassin's Creed (yeah, ok, this one is new). Denuvo is doing fine :'(

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still no Monster Hunter, no Yakuza, no Tomb Raider, no Assassin's Creed (yeah, ok, this one is new). Denuvo is doing fine :'(

Monster Hunter is an MMO no? Tomb Raider and AssCreed are very new, this doesn't mean anything. And sure, Yakuza has been out for years but it's possible cracking Denuvo takes so much time and resources hackorz only pick and choose the biggest blockbusters.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks to me that Denuvo was only being cracked due to the efforts of that one Bulgarian hacker. With him out of the picture Denuvo seems to have temporarily regained the upper hand, but they'll lose it again eventually.

Another question bothers me though... is it possible that hackers and crackers just don't see a reason to bother cracking Denuvo-protected games anymore? Mostly because of the games being crap?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
There's denuvo games still being cracked regularly. A bit on the slow side because so far it's only one scene group doing it, but denuvo is far from having the upper hand.

Mustawd

This is great news. I mean this 100% sincerely. Awesome.

Denuvo devs if you’re reading this great job. Crackers, if you’re reading this please give up and find something else to do with your time.

Warm Regards,

Mustawd

P.S. poortards, get a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom