Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian reportedly about to be acquired by Microsoft

Angthoron

Arcane
From the thread Infinitron linked to in the newspost:
It could allow them to create the games they dream of though. Right now they seam to be forced into smaller AA titles. I still remember the days when they matched BioWare and Bethesda in quality(kotor2 and new Vegas). I’d like to see that from them again.

Reading about RPGs on other forums than Codex is a traumatizing experience.
Funny part is that kotor2 didn't actually reach BioWare in some ways. Sure, everything related to the plot was generally better, technical aspects of kotor2 were pretty much trash. Even the areas they recycled from the first game looked and ran worse, and I'm still not sure how they actually managed this.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It could allow them to create the games they dream of though. Right now they seam to be forced into smaller AA titles. I still remember the days when they matched BioWare and Bethesda in quality(kotor2 and new Vegas). I’d like to see that from them again.

It's the same people that keep buying Fallout games.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Is it possible the (possible) deal is similar to Harebraided's setup, where they continue working as an 'independent' studio within larger company. Or am I being fabulously optimistic?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Hard to say what they're up to at the moment. What I hate is that I wanted to check whatever these two retards, Boyarski and Cain, have made but it'll probably be windblows store exclusive and by the time I'll have to switch to Windows 10 on my rig I'll probably be better off with Arch.

The indisputable thing is that you can make isometric RPG work on console nowadays and Microsoft seems to be progressively turning xbone from console into more restricted PC as time passes. Since they already have the resources, people and process of making such games prepared and tested, I wouldn't discount the notion that Microsoft may allow them to continue making them. The thing about exclusives/1st party games right now is that there is a division between "system seller" big brands(GoW, Halo, Quantum Break, Uncharted etc.) and "small name" pseudo-indies meant to keep the nerds who buy more than 2 games yearly around.

I guess it depends on whether whatever they're making right now will make it big or not. If it does, MS will probably push them into making AAA's, if they don't they'll keep them around as "gamer cred" studio.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Hard to say what they're up to at the moment. What I hate is that I wanted to check whatever these two retards, Boyarski and Cain, have made but it'll probably be windblows store exclusive and by the time I'll have to switch to Windows 10 on my rig I'll probably be better off with Arch.

Sorry buddy, my interest in your post evaporated with this line

Bocian

Arcane
It all can come crashing down, makes no bigger difference - and even if, it's for the better. We still have Vince, Styg, dmonin, Timeslip and others we can count on.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Feargus is a buisnessman, not a creator. As long as he manages to get the big profit, it's all good.

Isn't selling Obsidian to some big publisher and cashing out his wet dream?He must be walking around the offices with a constant erection these days

Paul_cz

Arcane

Whoever wrote that is wrong - New Vegas and KOTOR 2 are better than anything Bethesda or Bioware have ever made.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Good for obsidian, bad for Microsoft unless they staff it adequately from top to bottom.

Obsidian has never managed to release a good AAA game, and in the current climate of your game is not polished at release on consoles it will get bad press and memes to no end, hurting the bottom line.

Consoles is what this is all about, building up a first party portfolio for the next generation Xbox. Sony has a huge catalog of franchises it can pull out of their asses for any console release, and it keeps getting bigger with now spider man, horizon, days gone and ghost of weebo.

Unless obsidian can deliver at that level, they be just another shit stain that MS will clean up in a few years.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Announcing a not-final deal is retarded. Either this shit is some negotiation strategy or someone fucked up and the deal will not going to happen.

skyst

Augur
Fallout is making boatloads of money and Microsoft is about to acquire the studio that made what is generally considered to be the best iteration of the FPS Fallout games. I can't imagine MS being interested in shit like PoE or Tyranny isometric RPGs, I assume we'll see something to compete with Fallout/TES.

Don Peste

Arcane
I'm feeling a bit makabbish today, so I'll just leave this here...
thinking.png

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Fallout is making boatloads of money and Microsoft is about to acquire the studio that made what is generally considered to be the best iteration of the FPS Fallout games. I can't imagine MS being interested in shit like PoE or Tyranny isometric RPGs, I assume we'll see something to compete with Fallout/TES.
Faergus has shown them Project Indiana for that reason (which most likely will be as popamole mainstream as F:NV), they liked what they've seen and now they want to acquire Obisidian knowing that they can deliver AAA game.

Anyway, Obsidian is dead to me so whatever.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik

Sentinel

Arcane
Sorry buddy, my interest in your post evaporated with this line

When was the last time either of them worked on a good game again? 2003?
That was the last time they were together, so yes.
So what is it? Some kind of dragon ball arrangement where they are wimps on their own but great awesomesauce masters of the trade together?
Is that really unheard of? Just take Pink Floyd as an example. Both Roger and Gilmour's solo albums are missing that ingredient that only materializes when they're composing together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom