Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian reportedly about to be acquired by Microsoft

Sentinel

Arcane
Except making games is like engineering product, not making art.
Except making games is both, and Leo & Tim are always more involved with the latter when they work together.

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
LCAPar3.png
Enhanced:
kxFL4m9.jpg

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If this rumour is true, then I think this is what Feargus always wanted - Obsidian is aquired by a big company and he can retire like BioWare owners. I don't know enough about Tim and Leon's project to care much about it. Could be some action game for consoles.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Except making games is both, and Leo & Tim are always more involved with the latter when they work together.

Games have indeed bits and pieces of art in it, and they require creativity, and maybe sometimes they can hope to be more than a mere product, but games are games, not art.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

Games have indeed bits and pieces of art in it, and they require creativity, and maybe sometimes they can hope to be more than a merce product, but games are games, not art.
I never said games are art, just that they too require some skills any art form needs.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

skyst

Augur

Games have indeed bits and pieces of art in it, and they require creativity, and maybe sometimes they can hope to be more than a mere product, but games are games, not art.

And novels are novels, music is music, paintings are paintings...

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps Feargus pushed negotiated an exit for Chris Avellone to reduce the Microsoft "money pie" to be split between owners...?

No, it was the Pillars 1 royalties, actually – the timing was 2 weeks before they came in, and it was a calculated move.

Good business, questionable ethics.

Thanks for the reply but my post was mainly a sarcastic dig at what has been revealed about said "good business" practices and not to be considered as actual speculation. :salute:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Coming full circle... again? Circle in the circle. Not sure. This industry is weird. In a couple of years we will have people talking about going independent and how bad big publishers are.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I'm sure this was the plan all along and had nothing to do with their writing quality going off a cliff in the last couple years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom