Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian reportedly about to be acquired by Microsoft

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
LCAPar3.png
Enhanced:
kxFL4m9.jpg
Meh, this meme is only suited for EA. The studios EA killed were legends, the studios MS killed were decent or good at best.
I don't know how legendary they were, but FASA's MechWarrior and Ensemble's Age of Empires were two of my absolute favorite game series growing up. I was pretty sad to watch Microsoft turn them to console garbage (MechAssault, and Ensemble's Halo Wars) and then kill them.

ColCol

Arcane
Then loudly cried the bold Sir Bedivere:
"Ah! my Lord Arthur, whither shall I go?
Where shall I hide my forehead and my eyes?
For now I see the true old times are dead,
When every morning brought a noble chance,
And every chance brought out a noble knight.
Such times have been not since the light that led
The holy Elders with the gift of myrrh.
But now the whole Round Table is dissolved
Which was an image of the mighty world;
And I, the last, go forth companionless,
And the days darken round me, and the years,
Among new men, strange faces, other minds."

Legate, I come to you in tears — My cohort ordered home!
I've served in Britain forty years! What should I do in Rome?
Here is my heart, my soul, my mind—the only life I know.
I cannot leave it all behind. Command me not to go!

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
MS truly doesn't know what it's doing if they really do this. Obsidian has never managed to keep a relationship with any of its publishers. But hey, it would be a good thing if it meant we didn't have to hear about obsidian ever again after a while. This and inXile's successive failures will finally put to rest the era of kikestarters that fed on nostalgia and didn't provide any of the goods.

Avellone got booted before all the owners cash out.

On the upside, this gives the employees an option to leave at any time and kickstart a new game+studio successfully (if they're not fired first or all forced to sign non-competes)

How many of the employees would want to work for Microsoft anyway?? The minute their platforms are restricted and lootboxes are added, they'll have problems.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

On the upside, this gives the employees an option to leave at any time and kickstart a new game+studio successfully (if they're not fired first or all forced to sign non-competes)

How many of the employees would want to work for Microsoft anyway?? The minute their platforms are restricted and lootboxes are added, they'll have problems.

Uh, all of them.

Literally all of them, because:

(a) Microsoft has maintained rave reviews as an employer and will take better care of them than the Obsidian owners could.

(b) Microsoft projects will be big enough to cement job security and their Xbox releases will be too big to fail marketing wise

(c) all of them down the line will like working AAA Microsoft projects better than AA crowdfunded indies -- writers, programmers, game designers, producers, all of 'em. Basically everyone at that company prefers working on something like Fallout: New Vegas to Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny.

There might be a small exodus of people going indie, but likely they will be people you've never heard of before.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Meh, this meme is only suited for EA. The studios EA killed were legends, the studios MS killed were decent or good at best.

Rare is legendary, although from what I hear the writing may have been on the wall pre-purchase.

In any case this reeks of desperation from Microsoft if it comes to pass; buying Ninja Theory and other mid tier studios makes sense to do content for the Xbox... but Obsidian doesn’t have much of a reputation on consoles and unless their Boyarsky and Outer Limits projects are fucking mind blowing I don’t see how this can be profitable to them
I really like Sawyer and hope he gets out of there since all of the talent other than Cain and Boyarski are simply gone, Obsidian is just a lifeless husk right now so who cares?

They're just going to make Xbox exclusive Fallout: New Vegas clones, Microsoft's challenge to Bethesda on their own hardware.

Compare PS4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I don't know how legendary they were, but FASA's MechWarrior and Ensemble's Age of Empires were two of my absolute favorite game series growing up. I was pretty sad to watch Microsoft turn them to console garbage (MechAssault, and Ensemble's Halo Wars) and then kill them.
There's Microsoft Flight Simulator too. There was a time that this series was a mascot for PC gaming, and it was a big seller till the final entry in 2006. But of course, Microsoft discontinued it because it didn't advance the Xbox agenda.

The Real Fanboy
If obsidian sells then I’m definitely getting an Xbox Two or whatever Microsoft call the next gen console, though it would be awesome to stream AAA Pillars 3 on my iPhone I don’t know if Microsoft would allow you to stream on anything but an android!!!

Wunderbar

Arcane
If obsidian sells then I’m definitely getting an Xbox Two or whatever Microsoft call the next gen console, though it would be awesome to stream AAA Pillars 3 on my iPhone I don’t know if Microsoft would allow you to stream on anything but an android!!!
you're too obvious.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi Wonderbar! Sorry don’t really know what you mean by obvious?? When you google obsidian rpg forum this is the first result which is why i started posting here since I’m a big Obsidian fan
I mean, clearly, the official Obsidian forums are just a potent illusion.

hexer

Me and all of my friends were on the Obsidian bandwagon *just* because of him.
His work put them on the spotlight when they were founded, his name alone helped them gain lots of recognition!
They had no right to treat him that way.
Unprofessional, disrespectful and above all a betrayal by friends!

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I'm actually pleased for the owners. They lived the dream. Build a game company and keep it from going broke long enough to sell it on to someone bigger. I think Micorsoft actually made a good game once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom