Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Rodcocker

Arbiter
Just completed the cuckold mission. I don't know if it is shitty facial animations or what, but there is a moment when you are walking into the house to go bang the wife and the husband just does this slow smile at the sight of it all. I burst out laughing.

This game is definately made by nu-males. I'm guessing if I was playing the chick I'd be having hot lezz sex instead?

Obviously, in the name of sexual equality, I'm expected to find another mission where a wife can't sexually satisfy her husband, and she is totally fine with him banging some hot young flesh on the side. Or maybe not...

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm objecting to the fact that the game doesn't react to her gender enough. A woman warrior would be plausible if everybody believed she was marked by the gods. They would treat her with disdain if they didn't know about it, changing to fear and awe when they did.

Actually the game does react to her gender on many occasions, through comments and different dialogues which indicate she is indeed XX chromosome. That the game doesn't do it enough for you, well that's neither here nor there. The game reacts to her gender and does so with verisimilitude.

But AC Odyssey is – or at least pretends to be – historical fiction, not pure fantasy.

No. No it doesn't. Let's look at a glaring example. A fundamental part of ancient Greece was slavery. Ancient Athenians were big on slavery. Slaves everywhere, but not a mention of this fundamental part of the ancient Greek/Athenian society. This game is pure fantasy and it really doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

Perhaps the AC games before it pretended to be "historically accurate", but they never actually were anything close to historically accurate. Not a single one.

Only people completely ignorant of actual history would think otherwise. Surely you don't? Surely.

Even in Fallout, the gender doen't make a difference most of the time. So what, Ubisoft should be more RPG-Codex compliant than Black Isle ?

It sounds like Prime Junta is on some SJW quest and thinks the female character should smash the patriarchy.

:hmmm:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I think Prime junta considers the contrary. In an ancient greek based game the female character (Who is also a stranger, a spartan) should be treated badly in comparison with men and athens citizen.

Think about what happens in Fallout New vegas when you play as a female character and you enter the Caesar legion basement camp. Or when you follow that faction storyline.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Athens had a place for outsiders. It was called keep walking so we can't see you.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Some of the random generated quest in this game can be hilarious.

Some random NPC tells me "Those bloody bandits took all my things and I can't do business anymore. I need your help."

me:"So you want me to kill the bandits and bring you things back?"

Kass in the game:"So you want me to give you 50 gold?"

Then the NPC accepts 50 gold and telling me I've done a good job, rewarding me with 700 gold and some materials.

Prime Junta

No. No it doesn't. Let's look at a glaring example. A fundamental part of ancient Greece was slavery. Ancient Athenians were big on slavery. Slaves everywhere, but not a mention of this fundamental part of the ancient Greek/Athenian society. This game is pure fantasy and it really doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

Quote from my first post about Odyssey in this thread:

The way Spartans are portrayed is really dumb. They didn't have family lives like that. Also, where are all the helots? I know I ain't seen much yet but ancient Greece was a society based on slavery and I'd expect that to be visible even in a backwoods island like Kefalonia. I am disappoint given the attempt at verisimilitude that Origins had.

Nobody picked up on that though so there was no subsequent conversation.

It sounds like Prime Junta is on some SJW quest and thinks the female character should smash the patriarchy.

Yes, I suppose it would sound like that since I've repeatedly said it.

I think Prime junta considers the contrary. In an ancient greek based game the female character (Who is also a stranger, a spartan) should be treated badly in comparison with men and athens citizen.

The two aren't incompatible.

I've even suggested an obvious plot hook that would make Kassandra plausible and serve as the basis for a great power fantasy: an oracle's pronouncement marking her as a chosen of a god.

Prime Junta

What did you expect from a fucking ASS-creed game? Those games were always edgy teenage wank material, nothing more

I was impressed at the lengths Origins went to create a believable representation of Ptolemaic Egypt. I was disappointed that they apparently chose to go full pulp fiction with Odyssey. I haven't played any other Assassin's Creeds.

Edit: as an afterthought, AC: Origins is a perfect example of Marat Sar's observation that the problem isn't that games are political, it's that their politics are shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What did you expect from a fucking ASS-creed game? Those games were always edgy teenage wank material, nothing more

I was impressed at the lengths Origins went to create a believable representation of Ptolemaic Egypt. I was disappointed that they apparently chose to go full pulp fiction with Odyssey. I haven't played any other Assassin's Creeds.

Edit: as an afterthought, AC: Origins is a perfect example of Marat Sar's observation that the problem isn't that games are political, it's that their politics are shit.

You're saying that the egypt ass-creed game isn't pulp? I know nothing about it, but I would take that bet in a second if someone offered it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You're saying that the egypt ass-creed game isn't pulp?

Depends. It's pulp compared to an egyptology textbook. Plus it's a popamole triple A game. But every detail does ooze admiration for the history and culture of the ancient Egypt. I also suspect they approached Origins much more seriously and with bigger respect than Odyssey which is, after all, just Yuro whiteys history whereas ancient Egypt is about kangz.

Prime Junta

You're saying that the egypt ass-creed game isn't pulp? I know nothing about it, but I would take that bet in a second if someone offered it.

It's pulp if an Egyptologist wrote pulp. Well, almost. They really put a tremendous amount of work into the setting.

Prime Junta

I was kinda sad that they didn't made the game in ancient Dynasty times in Origins.

Ptolemaic Egypt is cool precisely because there's that mix and clash of cultures, religions, rulers, mores, and what have you. It also has the great benefit of having exciting ancient ruins. Pharaonic Egypt would've been, by and large, much less interesting. A brand-spanking-new pyramid is boring compared to a crumbling one with unknown secret chambers and whatnot.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ye, Origins world, pyramids, tombs, npc scheduling are impressive as fuck.
Even if you dont like vidya it looks impressive.

Odyssey looks good but generic outside cities.
Nothing really catching the eye 'cept some statues with random commentary.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Nobody picked up on that though so there was no subsequent conversation.

Not everything you say is interesting or worthy to comment on. Spartans aren't portrayed correctly, and neither are Athenians or anyone else for that matter - because it's fantasy. Why would anyone bother to "pick up" on such a banal comment?

Think about what happens in Fallout New vegas when you play as a female character and you enter the Caesar legion basement camp. Or when you follow that faction storyline.

What you think some other guy thinks, is neither here nor there.

But what is your point?

Unlike what Prime Junta is espousing, AC:Odyssey does comment on the gender of the PC, if the PC is a woman on numerous occasions.

He already clarified, that he just thinks the game doesn't do that *enough* for his tastes.

Phobos

Novice
I am also unimpressed with Odysseys environment, it feels like a B-Team game.
So far I liked Origins much more even thought the combat is much blander and the ship is missing (except for some story missions). Could also be because Origins was my first Asscreed game I played longer then 10 hours or so.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
As much as I hate Bethesda, I have to admit, even they look good compared to Ubisoft.

I can't even begin to consider playing Fallout 4. Or Fallout 76 for that matter.

This is definitely better, even though it is a low-fantasy, larping-sim with nary a plot, it's still an :incline: from all the previous AC games, while every single Bethesda game is a :decline: over the last.

Let's see, how can I explain the difference between a Bethesda game and a Ubisoft game:

In a Bethesda game, you play for a while and realize that everything is pointless and ridiculously shallow.

In a Ubisoft game, every 10 seconds from the moment you start playing, the game will punch you in the face with how pointless it is.

Concrete examples: In Bethesda land, you become the leader of every freaking faction/guild/group in the world, master every discipline and spell school, clear out every Drog Draugr infested dungeon, and then ask yourself, whyyyyy?

In Ubisoft land, you start the game, kill some dude, and he will respawn right back up in front of you. Another dude will give you a checklist of 20 boring things to do. You will uninstall way before you ever ask yourself whyyyy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom