Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation infiltration

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Now fuck me if I know where to put such a thread and my searches for a like thread failed utterly. Ah, well.

I’ve noticed a trend in sets that store uh... ROMS, data, PDFs, links, etc to be either going off-line, filled with ransom ware traps, deletion of all content, or completely removing links.

Oh, yeah there’s still plenty out there to sail the buccaneer booty ship on but I’m seeing more and more disappearing. Eh... either you know others to trade with instead of cloud sites or you don’t.

The latest annoyance for me is http://www.gamebase64.com/

They had just got a new 8bit link but now it’s gone. Maybe nintendoh threats along with sites following suite like emuparadise was part of the rolling boulder. 4shared is a shit site. I don’t go there.

I won’t name other sites as there are plenty but games from like ahoy magazine you have to type and ones I donated by sending in disks aren’t tops on many peoples lists.

I’m lucky to have had some uploaded to the archives. Nothing special but annoying non-the-less about removals.

Seems to be a trend with PDFs as well (replacement docs) has been fucked for months.

At least the emulators are still around. Old ancient games on archaic consoles or machines just aren’t going to be purchased by me. The scammers who want hundreds to thousands $$$ for gaming nostalgia can just fuck a rhino in rut and get gored up the glory hole for the fuck I care.

Blarg...!!!

The Decline

Arcane
Nintendo went bug fuck crazy with the threats last year. When emuparadise took down the links you could still download the files with a script. I used that to make a backup copy of everything.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I am amazed by the fact major sites went so overboard and just burned everything. Wasn't it just Nintendo's first party titles that ruffled some feathers? In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot of games you'd have to excise to keep going. Is it it just fear?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I ran into a mega-link that was encrypted via key (provided in a special link) that was 2.1gigs of game. I wanted a specific game (that I found elsewhere) but hey... why the fuck not just DL it).

I know a guy who hates Hasbro and certain retailers. He put up PDFs of all WOTC PDFs to dL.

When I really really enjoy a product I make damn sure I purchase it even via eBay or whatever (amazon) or other trades. I certainly like to try or look over some.

I bought 2 MP3 players and it turns out Sony does make crap. I saw a new brand I am waiting for via mail that was 1/2 the price or less, has a up to 128gig sim chip card slot and has good reviews. We will see.

I bought a home gym in June.... well; it was pretty fucked up for the additional weight stack add on. I had to jerry rig that fucker with custom bolts and welds. Bullshit on some purchases that are online.

So those who hate brick and mortar stores.... well fuck you as touching, looking, examining, and maybe texting is fucking awesome.

All online.... eh; expect disappointment.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am amazed by the fact major sites went so overboard and just burned everything. Wasn't it just Nintendo's first party titles that ruffled some feathers? In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot of games you'd have to excise to keep going. Is it it just fear?

They are just playing it safe. Nintendo is pretty retarded about going after emulation/rom sites.

No one wants to have corporate lawyers set on them, even if there isn't really a case.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well some say NINTENDON’T but they really care... see

(it appeared on my youtube list for some fool reason). There’s no way they are big bad uncaring bullies right??

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
>LOADING.....
>PLEASE WAIT....
>.............
>.............
>PLEASE WAIT....
>.............

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

>SEARCHING.......

>Would you care to elaborate on my horrid writing style?

>Maybe I’ll clean it up if it’s too annoying. It has to be the ....

>It’s a terrible habit I have started.

>My English teacher would rap my knuckles with a lead pipe if she read my writings.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is ironic the comment. I had to call my Social Security office about a lost card and of course I had a completely automated call. So, I responded like a robot to the autobot machine bastard. They’re sending out a card.

>...... and of course I find the old fucker in a different wallet. FUCK.

Soooooooooo............
fuckingclown.png

lightbane

Arcane
I think it's quite convenient that the speed at which these pages with ROM close accelerate shortly before launches of consoles with integrated ROMs, such as the Mini-NES and the Super equivalent, and now the Playstation, which happened shortly after Emuparadise went down. Coincidence?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, I read that as well from some other posters and reading the youtube rants. And some sites just might be awfully lazy paying the bills. The c64 site is annoying since I like gamebase format. There are other places that work.... It only annoys me when I am researching something specific or want to take a screenshot and I need the game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Emu sites? Meh, alternatives are still there.
But I'm still bummed by IsoZone fate, there were a plan for new site, now both are dead.
Beside 1 other site - I don't know any other reliable one with old and obscure PC games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I should have complied a list R.I.P. dead sites. No sense drawing attention to the ones still out there.
I’m always behind the curve of hoarding roms and crap since I never have a stable good internet connection or up to date backups. 3 more 4T hard drives waiting to be opened (to organize my crap). Should I back up to dvd or blue ray and cloud?

I’ve hit too many viruses and had to reformat too many times. Yeah, I suck at protecting my computer or just go and do something stupid (like hitting that unknown exe file (which immediately pumps my cpu full of viral crap). I’m like a net drug user.

.EXE!!!! GIMME!! OH YEAH!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:necro:
Well, I finally decided to start up some emulators since it has been a bloody while. TBH, I don't think I ever fired one up on this HP Envy laptop. It is considered old shit now being a core i7 10th gen with little on it for specs that I care to blather about. Since I watched that ultima video, I decided to try out some of files on CSDB Search. I quickly grabbed the first Ultima 1 & Ultima 3 and decided to use Vice 3.5. Good fucking god I must suck at VICE as I don't remember it ever being that slow or shitty to use. Maybe I have to configure every last thing on there like a few of the youtube vids. It was awful and slow as shit. I didn't see a speed throttle and I swear there was one (I'll check Lenny my other laptop and see what I was using during the ACS project). So, since no sound mostly or shit sound and slug snail shit pace I decided to go to the old standby CCS64 - A Commodore 64 Emulator - By Per Håkan Sundell. Naturally, I used the CCS64 V3.9.2 and it works fine for now. It has auto speed throttle for quick loading and it worked better than the VICE (for now). I had thought about Retroarch and MAME as well. I need to remaster these emulators before deciding on which is best.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Jesus Christ the c64 Ultima VI has some movement issues. I can't find the god damn North East or East movement keys. I'm remapping to a controller because its so fucked up. I'm using the Hotline - North East Crackers version). Maybe I'll find the original and see if it is fucked also. I forgot about the disk swaps. I need to figure out how to get the extra drives to automatically use the correct disks. Its good practice.

Man, maybe I should restart the emulator. It isn't like I was going to start with Ultima 6 c64 but since it booted up I wanted to test it a little. Sound is like non-existent except for the music at the beginning (then again, this is a cracked version). This no East and North is is bugging the fuck out of me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom