Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Brigade is a horrible game

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Looks like Codex Summon Spell can cross the boundaries of this forum :lol:

Anyway, hello Veitikka! I hope you'll stay here for longer (quick, someone grab the guy and make an interview with him).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=685

ArmoredBrigade-feat2.png

ArmoredBrigade-feat4-partesotto.png

ArmoredBrigade-in-game-feat.png

Dayyālu

Arcane
"Years Bracket: 1965-1991"

You have my attention. Anything other than the boring mid-80ies Cold War has my attention.

Pity it's just seven nation for initial release, I seriously would pay for my own dream scenario of Italy VS Hungary in the mid 60ies, the true war of retards.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice thread name... Anyway, everything is very promising about the game but the AI remains the main question. If its bad and only camping in deployment zones or just driving towards you this game will not be worth playing at all. Especially since they said that Multiplayer is out of the picture for now. I'm on board with everything else that they have showed but still very skeptical about the capabilities of the AI.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
They've done more previews which focus on some army lists.

edit.
The game will be released on November 15.

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Probably will be pretty expensive. I don't have time to watch the long videos right now but I've read some forum posts on the Matrix forum about the AI. Apparently it should be pretty smart but I haven't seen anything spectacular yet.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing it a bit on my channel, I'm still rather skeptical about the AI. But people tend to say it's better on bigger maps since it doesn't micromanage. Well, we'll see.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/20/the-flare-path-an-invisible-insurgency/

My year-old twopart Armored Brigade review is little out-of-date now. Since it was penned, Veitikka Studio have strengthened their top-down Close Combat-reminiscent Cold War wargame with a likeable dynamic campaign system, a host of engine improvements, and an add-on containing two payware factions, Italy and Yugoslavia. A strong turnless tactics title has quietly morphed into an offering with the accessibility of CC, the plausibility of Combat Mission, and the campaign freedom of Graviteam Tactics.

Juha’s approach to the long game reminds me a bit of Atomic’s in Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far, the key difference being in AB the player decides how long the mission sequence is and what battlefields it will incorporate. You begin by clicking your way across one of the game’s four huge theatre maps (Fort Irwin, Fulda Gap, North German Plain, South-East Finland). The engine then converts this route into a chain of clash venues. Play begins on the middle link of the chain with a “meeting engagement”. Win and you move one map closer to your objective, the enemy end of the chain.

Maintaining forward momentum isn’t easy as, following victories, you’re expected to assault VLs defended by sedentary, hard-to-spot foes – often a tough proposition. And the closer you get to that map at the far end of the chain, the fewer “supply points” you get to spend on refitting your battered core force between battles.

It’s an ingenious, semi-self-balancing mechanism (defeats push you back towards your end of the chain and shorten your supply lines) enhanced by the way constituent maps suffer persistent damage. A venue fought over multiple times sports the bruises of earlier combats – rubbled buildings, scorched woodland, cratered roads, etc. The fact that maps are randomly culled from larger entities, and AB’s unscripted AI is driven entirely by VL position and force composition, guarantees an endless succession of unique, unpredictable engagements.

As reported last week, the latest beta patch increases the game’s map cell capacity from one to three units, an improvement that aids pathfinding and boosts naturalism considerably. On the attack the AI can still seem a tad over-eager and uncoordinated at times but that slight clumsiness is balanced by a talent for defence and a plethora of customisation options that, when used cleverly, hide behavioural deficiencies pretty well.

The next step for AB is a deserved Steam debut. That will happen on October 31 and coincide with the release of a second expansion pack. Period (1965-91) French and Belgian armies are soon to join the default Soviet, US, British, Finnish, East German, West German and Polish ones. With the new unit selections will come a tract of Western Europe more associated with Shermans and Panthers than the angry abodes of the Cold War.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
I've been poking around with this about a day or so.
Realized that I need to re-read some stuff about Cold War era combined arms operations and doctrines; decided to start with manual of M1 Tank Platoon.

Game itself feels pretty good so far, with excellent sound system.
HMGs sound suitably meaty.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Maybe coming to GOG:
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/ga..._in_the_future_part_2/post10428?as=1649904300
New company in the catalog: Veitikka Studios, possibly for Armored Brigade:
Focusing on delivering a realistic, authentic command experience, Armored Brigade is a tactical war game focusing on combined arms operations set against the background of a Cold War gone hot. With possible engagements dates ranging from 1965 to 1991, Armored Brigade combines gritty realism with challenging gameplay as the West and East collide in a spectacular fashion across massive battlefields.

The game has drawn inspiration from classics such as Steel Panthers, Close Combat and Combat Mission.
Main features:

Real-time engine
Time period: 1965-1991
Factions: US, USSR, West and East Germany, UK, Finland and Poland
DLC factions: Italy, Yugoslavia, France and Belgium
Campaign and battle generators for unlimited replayability
Lowest level unit is a single team/vehicle
Dynamic AI
Huge maps, based on real terrain. The maximum battle size is about 15x15 kilometers
Neutral units
Artillery with several munition types
Close air support, air defences. Air-to-air engagements are possible
Fortifications, obstacles and breaching
Dynamic time of day and variable visibility, wind and ground conditions
Night vision equipment, smoke generators, illumination flares
Unit morale, training level and fatigue, command delay
A database editor for the factions, units, weapons etc.
3D sound engine

Last edited by a moderator:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing the game again using the Chechnya mod and trying out some of the vanilla campaigns and I have to say that the AI has improved. The game works better now and has no obviously retarded choices when it comes to AI strategies. Playing mostly against the Soviets they seem to be using their standard doctrine. I was pleasantly suprised to see some of the enemy forces smoke in a M1A1 of mine that was wrecking havoc on their forces.

The aforementioned Chechnya mod is great as well, it's rather hard to determine if the AI is good or just moving forward in close combat, urban scenarios. I don't own any of the DLCs though, waiting for some deep discounts because I'm happy with the hardware the game is offering me to play with it in vanilla.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom