Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
ODDITY IS THE ONLY WAY :outrage:
you are right of course but I just play oddity anyway :mixedemotions:

ciox

Liturgist
Classic is a nice way to take the edge off Dominating, but otherwise feels like you're losing some of the Underrail experience/feel.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oddity is masochism for replays, you need to comb every map and farm respawns to hit the cap.

Great for the virgin run though.

But you really don't need to hit the cap unless you're on dominating. You tend to define your build and hit the good old "mid-late game becomes easy" spot easily just by being a normal hardcore RPG player (i.e. where you find 80% of shit anyway), without having to do the painstaking combing for that extra 20%.

Oddity is really fun and I would say they are generally really well seeded across monsters/containers/etc.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, should've chosen oddity - I'm on lvl 20 after finishing foundry and barely scratching core city.

Classic seems fine even for first blind runs, as there's plenty of fun from exploring shit, even without the xp incentive.
It's just you seem to hit the cap too fast.

Tygrende

Arbiter
you need to comb every map and farm respawns to hit the cap.
You really don't. When I did, I ended up with over 60 XP over the cap.

Before or after DC?
After. The goal was to collect all oddities in the game (I was missing a few), I could probably end up with a bit more if I did a better job and also tried to maximize XP from quests.

When playing normally I usually end up entering DC at 23-24 and hitting the cap inside, which is ideal if you ask me. It's nice to have some progression even in the final dungeon.

Parabalus

Arcane

Before or after DC?
After. The goal was to collect all oddities in the game (I was missing a few), I could probably end up with a bit more if I did a better job and also tried to maximize XP from quests.

When playing normally I usually end up entering DC at 23-24 and hitting the cap inside, which is ideal if you ask me. It's nice to have some progression even in the final dungeon.

On classic XP you have to actively try to avoid hitting 25 before descending into DC (or the Institute even).

You overkill by several 'levels' playing normally, and so you can choose to skip stuff on replays and still hit the cap easily before DC.

Should have clarified I meant hitting the cap before taking the DC elevator, that's what I meant.

Black Angel

Arcane

Before or after DC?

Not sure what you mean then, coz on classic XP you have to actively try to avoid hitting 25 before descending into DC (or the Institute even).

You overkill by several 'levels' playing normally, and so you can choose to skip stuff on replays and still hit the cap easily before DC. Should have clarified I meant before taking the plunge.
His very first reply in this pyramid of quotes is referring to you saying how using Oddity system would force you to 'comb every map and farm respawn to hit the cap'. Tygrende is objecting to that notion.

Meanwhile, I'd assume what Tygrende meant with 'playing' normally is, in the context of playing Oddity, not 'comb every map and farm respawn to hit the cap'.

Sykar

Arcane

Before or after DC?

On classic XP you have to actively try to avoid hitting 25 before descending into DC (or the Institute even).

You overkill by several 'levels' playing normally, and so you can choose to skip stuff on replays and still hit the cap easily before DC.

Should have clarified I meant hitting the cap before taking the DC elevator, that's what I meant.

Which just proves that Oddity is superior.

Piotrovitz

Savant
The inner autist in me has won and I've just restarted again on oddity, with same glass SMG build : |

I got a feeling that when I'm through, I'll restart again with another build. The incline overload in this game is just too much.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Does anyone know if stacking burst precision +% mods for SMGs is working like it should?

I got 8.6 steel cat with +25% (barrel comp + grip) and 7.62 jag with +10% (grip) and they both have exactly the same burst accuracy in combat.
Not sure if this is a bug, or just different frames/barrels combinations give different results, i.e unmoded 7.62 jag is more accurate than 8.6 cat?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That actually might be the case. It feels like it is partially anyway with pistols but it's also a range thing (Hammerer 44 vs. Falchion 7.62).

My skill is around 130's now with firearms, and after a specific range Falchion will be 95 while Hammerer will drop to 90 or 91.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Btw. has anyone tried a self-imposed ironman run on hard/dominating and succeeded?

I'm tempted to try this on my next playthrough, but man, those goddamn crawlers raping you out of nowhere.
It's either you have to go with tin can build to survive the stings, or throw flares and grenades everywhere like it's 4th of July : |

Piotrovitz

Savant
Sure stealth helps a lot, but still, I keep bumping into them in totally unexpected areas, like the small passage between the core city docks and protectorate warehouse in Gorsky's quest.

Even with metagaming knowledge and being super cautious, I bet sooner or later you'll get sting-raped, which makes me wonder if any kind of glass build would be suitable for ironman.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IIRC with good stealth they can't detect you unless you bump on to them. With decent perception you can also spot them when you get relatively close and either avoid them, or attack them at your own leisure.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I always wished that you had more 44 caliber weapons than the pistols and the one SMG. I'd love some random short range rifle or something, like a mare's leg or something similar.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Btw. has anyone tried a self-imposed ironman run on hard/dominating and succeeded?

I'm tempted to try this on my next playthrough, but man, those goddamn crawlers raping you out of nowhere.
It's either you have to go with tin can build to survive the stings, or throw flares and grenades everywhere like it's 4th of July : |
I succeeded on Hard with a sniper. Tanky psi would probably be a better option, if you only care about doing it regardless of the build. I didn't try on DOMINATING, but I'm in the middle of a DOMINATING alpha playthrough and counting my deaths. 103 so far. Most of it outside of new content, because I was just too cocky in the early game.

Sure stealth helps a lot, but still, I keep bumping into them in totally unexpected areas, like the small passage between the core city docks and protectorate warehouse in Gorsky's quest.

Even with metagaming knowledge and being super cautious, I bet sooner or later you'll get sting-raped, which makes me wonder if any kind of glass build would be suitable for ironman.
Bear traps and doors can make most crawler encounters pretty easy. The warehouse is hard since one tends to camp the vent you come out of, but you can use grenades to get the soldier on guard's attention so he'll come over and distract them for you.
It's too bad bullhead's duration is so short. If it lasted a bit longer it'd be useful for ignoring the poison, but 3 turns isn't enough.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Regarding the quest with Evelyn in Foundry - how can I get into her bunker that requires keycard? Went to her apartment once she's arrested and found nothing.
I couldn't resist and checked on wiki that she's carrying it on her - is there any way to get it now, when she's in prison? Tried to go there, but it seems you have to have high persuasion in order to see the prisoners. Considering you'll pass the test, is there a way to get the keycard now, or should it be pickpocketed earlier?

Also, the full autist in me demands to plan my future build. I'm thinking of:

1. Pure psi - is glass, high mobile one viable, or should I settle for tin can?
2. Sniper - not sure how this would work, as it seems that majority of fights are close distance ones. Should I combine it with AR/SMG related feats and carry one as a backup?
3. Gunslinger - probably energy/chemical one, as regular pistols don't seem to have many worthy feats, which is major bummer.
4. Arbalist - this seems to be most the gimped one, but also most interesting to play. Has anyone tried it? Any advise?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
My next build is definitely going to be a tin can assault rifle build. Just because I've never done one before. However, I've always sided with the Free Drones. Does the Protectorate offer anything worthwhile by way of non-monetary incentives?

ciox

Liturgist
My next build is definitely going to be a tin can assault rifle build. Just because I've never done one before. However, I've always sided with the Free Drones. Does the Protectorate offer anything worthwhile by way of non-monetary incentives?

Yeah I want to do one too, I've been shilling onthe official forums for something that would make that build more interesting but I it's probably not gonna happen.. (change Huszar STR requirement from 7 to 8 and remove its innate 5% burst precision penalty, making it the official metal armor rifle)

Protectorate has pretty decent gear, especially with mercantile, lots of gun crafting frames, W2C bullets and blueprints for special ammo.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Quest-XP-equipment wise there isn't much difference from joining either of them. IIRC you don't get access to the protectorate dreadnauts (apart from one mission), which is a shame really. But I'd suggest joining the protectorate just to do some different quests.

Whomever I side with I always end up slaughtering them after finishing their quests anyway.
:troll:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding the quest with Evelyn in Foundry - how can I get into her bunker that requires keycard? Went to her apartment once she's arrested and found nothing.
I couldn't resist and checked on wiki that she's carrying it on her - is there any way to get it now, when she's in prison? Tried to go there, but it seems you have to have high persuasion in order to see the prisoners. Considering you'll pass the test, is there a way to get the keycard now, or should it be pickpocketed earlier?
There is an alternative route into her bunker if you have high enough lockpicking.
1. Pure psi - is glass, high mobile one viable, or should I settle for tin can?
It's viable, but positioning is key. You might have to save-scum a few fights as well.
2. Sniper - not sure how this would work, as it seems that majority of fights are close distance ones. Should I combine it with AR/SMG related feats and carry one as a backup?
I played a TC-Sniper and it was fucking amazing, my favorite build. It's definitely viable, but once again relies on good positioning and creative use of caltrops and grenades sometimes.
3. Gunslinger - probably energy/chemical one, as regular pistols don't seem to have many worthy feats, which is major bummer.
Yep, it's good. If you're doing chemical, there is some dope ass unique armor you can get. IDK how it would stack up against crafted armors, but it's very good.
4. Arbalist - this seems to be most the gimped one, but also most interesting to play. Has anyone tried it? Any advise?
IDK anything other than I know it works, though there are some areas that are extremely difficult if you don't have a backup weapon/strategy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom