Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So I just started playing this and found I can get dancer outfits for my Waifus. Game of the year boys!

Also the five char party limit is retarded. And the spell system is retarded. And the furry just gave me a gift which I accepted and now I'm afraid he is going to assrape me in my sleep and call it love. Also the gift was some magic shackles which may imply he is into the rough shit.

Anyway besides the ability to play dress up not really impressed so far.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
After experimenting with several different SSS lineups, I conclude that best setup for backline is Crossbow+Arbalest.

While it's behind Arquebus/bow setup in terms of raw damage and big boom, it more than makes up for it in hard CC.

The combo of special attacks - knockdown (arbalest) and interrupt(crossbow) is insane, it basically makes your main target permanently disabled, including hard bosses. Any mob gets through your frontline, same thing, it just eats chain knockdown and interrupt and dies swiftly.

The only problem is lack of unique weapon choices, that is, there's only one of each, but they're both excellent. Spearcaster gains extra accuracy scaling with Arcana, which also raises the level of scrolls, so eventually your dude becomes a pretty good mage on top of everything else. And Fleetbreaker again lacks flashy effects but has huge bonuses to accuracy and penetration.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If that works then fine, but then you've nerfed the damage output of 2 damage dealers, who focus on a single-target to make things worse.

IMO better leave CC to classes that have better and/or aoe tools for that. For example a monk multiclass using dual aoe mortars with Stunning Surge. Ciphers with Mental Binding/Mind Lance. Rangers with Concussive/Tranquilizing Shot. Even Rogues with Pierce the Bell, though that's costly. But all Rogue skills interrupt on hit.
Not to mention something like Wizard's Rymgrim's Terror - more limited in number of casts, but the effect... Also often simple Grease is crazy potent.

Edit: Also other weapons have some CC also. Red Hand can double knockback on hit. Xefa's blunderbuss also knocks back and can prone.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Those are all spells and skills. That's doesn't compare to hard CC on regular weapon hits. And don't underestimate the power of a guaranteed interrupt on a crossbow special attack, that's arguably best CC in the entire game because it disables even bosses which are typically resistant to afflications.

And you're losing a bit of damage, no arguments there. But it's not like damage sucks, these both still have great damage output and huge bonuses to accuracy, and on PoTD that's the most important stat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, a Ranger's Concussive Shot or Rogue's Strike the Bell also interrupts - on a Graze, no less. Concussive Tranquilizer also removes enemy buffs, no save (actually greatly shortens their durations).
The weapon knockback effects also provide no save.

But if you like that, more power to you. A lot of things works well in Deadfire.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I encountered some kind of glitch. I'm on the last quest, alllied myself with the principi. When I try to sail to Ukaizo, the royal deadfire company awaits me there instead of the principi. Nothing triggers, they just there and I can travel into the storm like it's not even there. I can't see anything though. Does anyone know what to do?

Edit: Nevermind, it's a gamebreaking bug and it's still not fixed. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100323-quest-a-dance-with-death-cant-be-completed/

Fuck it, guess I'm not finishing poe 2.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well, a Ranger's Concussive Shot or Rogue's Strike the Bell also interrupts - on a Graze, no less. Concussive Tranquilizer also removes enemy buffs, no save (actually greatly shortens their durations).

You're missing the point. You keep comparing weapon based CC to spells and skills. As if my crossbow/arbalest user doesn't have any spells. They would be a Rogue/Ranger and they can use those exact spells while also having CC on a weapon. Or you know, opt for something that does more damage since they don't have to worry about CC.

It's true, a lot of setups work well in Deadfire. Bows seem to have the most raw damage output with correct build and in addition the AI actually does a good job comboing the Rogue finisher spells with the bow, while with slower weapons you have to micro. Arquebus wins on pure convenience because you can get two good endgame ones (The Red Hand and Three Bells Through) for free within 5 minutes of leaving tutorial island.

But I'm talking here in terms of what (single target damage) setup for the backline makes the game the easiest, and that's crossbow+ arbalest by a mile. It's all about taking out priority targets and you can do it with absolutely brutal efficiency when they are permanently under hard CC.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished Beast of Winter and I thought it was pretty decent, at some times better than many of the quests in the main dumpsterfire... didn't find battles too tough dunno why you people were whining.. granted I only was playing on hard but I had no trouble with the final fight with the dragon and the beast of winter himself was a piece of cake.. game is still as popamole as ever but at least the areas were nice. I laughed at the "temple of decline" and was wondering if they became self aware, hopefully the third dlc will conclude with putting out a literal dumpster fire in Delver's Row.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I think I encountered some kind of glitch. I'm on the last quest, alllied myself with the principi. When I try to sail to Ukaizo, the royal deadfire company awaits me there instead of the principi. Nothing triggers, they just there and I can travel into the storm like it's not even there. I can't see anything though. Does anyone know what to do?
g
Edit: Nevermind, it's a gamebreaking bug and it's still not fixed. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100323-quest-a-dance-with-death-cant-be-completed/

Fuck it, guess I'm not finishing poe 2.
Good opportunity to go play some Pathfinder: Kingmaker or Insomnia! :shittydog:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
IMO battles in Beast of Winter are generally less hard than main game battles, so if people are complaining about that I don't see why.

There's a major difference between the dragon fight on Hard and PotD though, because of the Llengrath spell. It's cast on both difficulties I believe but with PotD buffed defenses the defenses get really, really high.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everybody likes hotfixes: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106254-v302-patch-notes/

Hello Watchers!

This patch will go live on Steam, GOG, and Origin at 10:00 am PDT! Build will go live on the Apple Store pending Apple approval.

Patch notes for v3.0.2.0027
  • Items will no longer lose their mods (any previously affected items should also be fixed).
  • Izzia takes the Hope and Tooth and gives back the Chain as is intended.

2house2fly

Magister
The Izzia fix is good news, I was wondering if they'd abandon that aspect of the DLC or if it'd just remain in the game forever broken.

E: Izzia now has the correct "forge item" dialogue but the option to tell her you were ambushed when you weren't is still there. Eh, that's fine by Obsidian standards

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And these two fixes were a 150 MB download. The wonders of Unity.

Like in a Brian Adams song, wherever I go, whatever I do, I am getting my ass kicked. Got back from Magran's teeth, allowed the animancers to teleport me a second time, cleared the dungeon there, but now at the top of the tower, I have 8 guys waiting for me, and they are all more than 3 levels above mine. My party is level 13. I'm thinking of going to Motare o Kozi instead, and try for the diplomatic resolution, or do some easy bounties in the remaining 21 days I have before I must be in Ukaizo.

The RDC's next quest is clearing out Crookspur, which shouldn't be easy either, and will cost me travel time to get there. The Principi, as I know, are bugged, and the Huana's first quest sends me in the basement of the watershaper's guild where some badass enemies trashed me good the last time I tried to progress there. 20 days don't look like much time to get out of this one. Will I make it? And if I do, will I get owned by the guardian of Ukaizo? No idea.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, at level 11 I started noticing that most of the places I go are 3+ levels above me, so you might have to go through it on a specific route. I did Motare o Kozi, the diplomatic solution, at level 11, so you'll have no trouble with that at 13 and I'd recommend going there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9ndh6v/we_are_obsidian_entertainment_and_david_l/

About next DLC:

Can you give any details on the next Pillars 2 DLC? Will there be a new companion? Maybe... some new spells? Do you know when the next megaboss will be coming along to eat me?

No new companion, but some expanded content for a familiar friend ;-) Maybe some new spells.

Plans after that:

Upcoming DLC is the last content expansion we'll get for Pillars of Eternity II? No more new dialogues, characters or items after it? Any (vague xD) plans for future game in the series?

Thanks for good work <3

To be super vague about it: we have plans :)

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Pillars of Drift: Eternal

Hoonigans-Raide-Abandoned-Mall-for-One-Sick-Tokyo-Drift-Style-Black-Friday-Video-1.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
I'm interested by "we have plans" in a format where they could have ignored the question entirely. They clearly have a skeleton staff on the game though, so I'd expect their plans are minor. A sixth megaboss or something.

No companion for the final DLC I guess puts the final nail in the coffin of Ryona turning up there. I was so certain because why would they just leave her lines and stuff in the game? The expanded content will be for Fassina, clearly. I wonder if she and Konstanten will continue their romance

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9ndh6v/we_are_obsidian_entertainment_and_david_l/

About next DLC:

Can you give any details on the next Pillars 2 DLC? Will there be a new companion? Maybe... some new spells? Do you know when the next megaboss will be coming along to eat me?

No new companion, but some expanded content for a familiar friend ;-) Maybe some new spells.

Plans after that:

Upcoming DLC is the last content expansion we'll get for Pillars of Eternity II? No more new dialogues, characters or items after it? Any (vague xD) plans for future game in the series?

Thanks for good work <3

Huh. I was really expecting them to upgrade Ydwin to companion status. Perhaps they really are running out of resources to spend here.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The RDC's next quest is clearing out Crookspur, which shouldn't be easy either, and will cost me travel time to get there. The Principi, as I know, are bugged, and the Huana's first quest sends me in the basement of the watershaper's guild where some badass enemies trashed me good the last time I tried to progress there. 20 days don't look like much time to get out of this one. Will I make it? And if I do, will I get owned by the guardian of Ukaizo? No idea.

In addition to Lacrymas advice, a word about Crookspur. I haven't actually done the RDC quests. But if the difficulty is comparable to when the Principi send you there, you should stomp the place at level 13.
Unless it changes of course :)

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

About next DLC:

"Maybe"? Really, Obsidian?

There are a lot of interviews saying that there will be new spells.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ii-forgotten-sanctum-dlc-at-expansive.123641/

What I can really get into is that it is spellcaster focused, so for those who’ve rolled a spellcaster they’re going to have a lot of new things to dig around in, like new spells and things like that. Lots of new equipment for them.

The Real Fanboy

About next DLC:

Plans after that:

Thanks for good work <3

They'd be so dumb not to do a 4th dlc but have it Critical Role themed! Make it stand alone and set in a small part of Exandria with Matt narrating as the Dm and you playing a new member of either Vox Machina or The Mighty Nein, omg

Wizfall

Cipher
As i'm waiting the game to have all the DLC out to play, i'm a bit confused about the next two DLC in the quote above.
I thought only 1 DLC was still not out (for a total of 3 DLC, of course not counting patches or even free posssible small DLC) .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom