Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls is very easy

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I'm not sure if playing Dark Souls 3 first ruined me for any previous installments, or if it's the Black Knight's sword that I got very early on and kept using/upgrading, but most enemies in the game are very easy to kill, and that includes bosses. I have yet to see a single "so hard it makes me want to kill myself" encounter in the game. I don't think I've killed a single boss more than after the third attempt (excluding the dumb wolf with a sword who took about five), and as a matter of fact, I've had more problems with some basic enemies than the bosses. They don't even switch to a different phase once you take away half of their health, what the fuck?

To be fair, I've only made it as far as Anor Londo so far. Does Dark Souls actually ever get actually difficult, or was its difficulty hyped up by invalids?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm not sure if playing Dark Souls 3 first ruined me for any previous installments
yeah. Difficulty became some kind of "dark souls schtick", so devs started to make every new souls game harder and harder, until DaS3 became this "perform a hundred perfect rolls in a row or get one-shot by a boss who have infinite stamina and super long combos". DaS1 and 2 are very easy when compared to DaS3 or Bloodborne.

or if it's the Black Knight's sword that I got very early on and kept using/upgrading
yeah. BKS is ridiculosly OP, dunno why they decided to put it in the very beginning. Drop chance isn't that low too.

To be fair, I've only made it as far as Anor Londo so far. Does Dark Souls actually ever get actually difficult?
no. It will get easier, actually.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
To be fair, I've only made it as far as Anor Londo so far. Does Dark Souls actually ever get actually difficult, or was its difficulty hyped up by invalids?
I was playing DS1 before DS2 and 3 came out, so I was still learning to play. Last boss of Anor Londo beat my ass at least 30 times before I succeeded. Let's compare with how fast you do it.

If you feel like it's too easy, make it more interesting and try playing without a shield. I remember trying to beat (name of the boss in the spoiler)
Artorias
without one for 40-50 tries before giving up.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I think calling it "very easy" is a boastful exaggeration, but yeah, the only truly challenging Souls game is whichever one you play first. Once you have the key gameplay precepts down that govern the entire series it's just a matter of being generally cautious--something that was the expected norm in any game made before 2007 or so. Of course a lot of people can't even manage that, due to being programmed by casual AAA games that play themselves, and thus the game has the undeservedly notorious reputation for difficulty that it has.

Black Angel

Arcane
or if it's the Black Knight's sword that I got very early on and kept using/upgrading
yeah. BKS is ridiculosly OP, dunno why they decided to put it in the very beginning. Drop chance isn't that low too..
If you guys are talking about the Black Knight in Undead Burg, it's a significant difficulty spike compared to low-tier mobs in the area. And as agentorange said, the only truly challenging Souls game is whichever one you play first, so for everyone who played Dark Souls 1 for the first time, that Black Knight is a damn real challenge. Not to mention if you haven't really know to prioritize putting points into Endurance to increase your stamina and equip load, and also need to get sufficient Strength to wield it one-handed to couple it with a shield if you're not confident in roll-dodging and/or parrying, trying to wield it from when you're still low-leveled is not really an option for new players who are especially new to the series.

Wunderbar

Arcane
yeah. BKS is ridiculosly OP, dunno why they decided to put it in the very beginning. Drop chance isn't that low too..
If you guys are talking about the Black Knight in Undead Burg, it's a significant difficulty spike compared to low-tier mobs in the area. And as agentorange said, the only truly challenging Souls game is whichever one you play first, so for everyone who played Dark Souls 1 for the first time, that Black Knight is a damn real challenge.
i'm sure a lot of popamolists just googled "dark souls how to become OP in 10 minutes" and then cheesed that black knight. Maybe master planetar did this too.

Black Angel

Arcane
If you guys are talking about the Black Knight in Undead Burg, it's a significant difficulty spike compared to low-tier mobs in the area. And as agentorange said, the only truly challenging Souls game is whichever one you play first, so for everyone who played Dark Souls 1 for the first time, that Black Knight is a damn real challenge.
i'm sure a lot of popamolists just googled "dark souls how to become OP in 10 minutes" and then cheesed that black knight. Maybe master planetar did this too.
I'm sure Master Planetar didn't, because if he did, he would've specifically typed 'Drake Sword' instead of 'Black Knight's Sword'

Sjukob

Arcane
I used to think the same when I was playing it several years ago, but recalling my playthrough made me realise that there's a lot of punishing stuff and things that are designed to be annoying (like anor londo's bridge guarded by silver knights). I don't think it's a hard game, it's just that you have to pay attention to what's happening on the screen, but since it's almost too much to ask from a today's audience the game created a meme of it's difficulty.

As for myself, I only had troubles with dlc, since my character was the opposite of everybody else's build. Pump strength and endurance while ignoring vitality, I wore heavy armor and shields and big weapons while having only medium encumbrance. I blocked all of the attacks (even the ones considered "unblockable" like Sif's double spin) instead of dodging them and had enough stamina to do so. The problem was that dlc made my strategy impossible, because enemies were just too fast and took too much stamina with their attacks to block them, so I had to relearn. Artorias was the only boss that managed to kill me a good number of times before I understood the tactics, my habit to block was a big part of the problem. Oh and slicing off Kalameet's tail was pretty annoying.

I was also playing on keyboard.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I didn't google anything, and killing the two black knights in the early game was actually a challenge. One of them actually fell through the floor and died (lol) while the other was just a matter of doing perfect rolls and being patient.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Oh, and I played Dark Souls 3 with mouse and keyboard, and it was just fine.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Only certain moments of the game (Ornstein and smough, Blightown, the DLC) can be considered as hard. The rest has a normal difficulty. Which means that the game allows you to fail and expects you to learn and improve. Thing that games rarely did that in that time.

Enjoy the franchise for what they are, great dungeon crawlers, and not just for muh challenge.

or if it's the Black Knight's sword

Yes. It ruins the early progression, it is very OP. If you want proper experience you should avoid using it.

Also it's definitely easier than DSIII for me as well. I find both parts II and III to be harder than previous one.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm bored of Souls games.

They definitely need to evolve now. Bloodborne was a nice forward step, but the next one has to be bigger.

As quaint as it is having the story/lore hidden amongst items etc, for me that's had it's day now and it would be nice to see a bigger step towards a more traditional story/lore presentation. The items should be there to then further deepen that.

Vorark

Erudite
It's "hard" for people used to cutscene simulators, awesome buttons and GPS showing you where to go next. DS is a fair game, no bullshit* like player tracking or infinite stamina combos which can be found in later installments.

*Besides the Anor Londor archers :troll:

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Anor Londo did prove an unexpected challenge - with the damn headless statue that kept fucking me for like twenty times before I killed it. Not sure why this one in particular - the five I encountered before it were a breeze. Maybe it's because this one was in a much smaller room.

Machocruz

Arcane
The only moments that were stand out difficult to me were when fighting bosses in NG+ that I had fought co-op in NG, so I never properly learned them. This happened with Man-Eater (also my weapon wasn't upgraded much) and Flamelurker in DeS, and Four Kings in DaS.

Declinator

Arbiter
So which action games are actually harder or is it just that "this does not compare to Ghost & Goblins and Contra"?
I think that Dark Souls does have a somewhat exaggerated reputation for difficulty but I've played a considerable amount of games in the genre and I can't immediately think of any that I'd put ahead of Soulsborne games in difficulty. Classics such as Ninja Gaiden Black and DMC3 were substantially easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom