Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, not strong in Ethnography.

Prime Junta

That's okay, Russians aren't really Slavs either. We're all Uralo-Finnic brothers here. Check out the big purple wedge on that baby!

genetic-map-europe.png

Prime Junta

This picture is so inaccurate and stupid,that my eyes are going reroll themself.

It's neither. It gives a pretty good overview of who's related to who in Europe, at the population level. Only questionable thing about it is the labels given to the haplotypes.

It is a pretty good dumbfuck detector though.

and you just got detected :troll:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know if you guys Kasparov Marat Sar and others have been following the Bugfinder: Blyatmaker thread but ...

... given the massively greater complexity of Disco Elysium

PREPARE YOUR ANUS

Yeah, given Estonians are slavs, expactation for extrimal buggines will be high... Bugfinder and Insomnia eh....

But you can alays count on me in alfatesting! No jokes.

No, they are aliens like hungarians and finns.
What say you? We're just like everyone else. We got smart folks and commies stupid folks, like every other people.

Except we're lonery. :(

figure1a_600.jpg

Genetic Map of Europe
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(08)00956-1

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think in modern world one shouldn't blindly belive all these "geneTic maps" given times we are living in.... just a drop of common sense.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
I don't know if you guys Kasparov Marat Sar and others have been following the Bugfinder: Blyatmaker thread but ...

... given the massively greater complexity of Disco Elysium

PREPARE YOUR ANUS

Yeah, given Estonians are slavs, expactation for extrimal buggines will be high... Bugfinder and Insomnia eh....

But you can alays count on me in alfatesting! No jokes.

No, they are aliens like hungarians and finns.

Depends. If the guys making it are hipsters or lefties, they are probably Slavic.

Prime Junta

Well you guys do know how they named the studio?

Here's a really cool recording of a Zaum poem by Khlebnikov, by the way. It's cool even if you can't into Russian, moreso if you can even a little. I saw these live in St.Pete some time in the nineties...

Lyrics:

Бобэоби пелись губы,
Вээоми пелись взоры,
Пиээо пелись брови,
Лиэээй - пелся облик,
Гзи-гзи-гзэо пелась цепь.
Так на холсте каких-то соответствий
Вне протяжения жило Лицо.

Kind of English but it loses all the euphony and rhythm in this translation which kind of misses the point:

Bo-beh-o-bi, sang the lips,
Veh-eh-o-mi, sang the glances,
Pi-eh-eh-o, sang the brows,
Li-eh-eh-ey, sang the visage,
Gzi-gzi-gzeh-o, sang the chain.
Thus on a canvas of some correspondences
Beyond dimension lived the face.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1706194664211889257

Disco Elysium - MCM Comic Con & Day of the Devs
22 OCTOBER - ZAUM_DANI

Hey everyone!

We’re back this week to let you know where we are heading next with Disco Elysium. Having a rest was nice, but we can’t quite bring ourselves to stay off the road. So let’s get to it!!

The next stop on our adventure will be MCM Comic Con at the ExCeL London on the 26th - 28th of October. Check out the website[www.mcmcomiccon.com] for more info and keep an eye on the MCM social channels for announcements about the event.

699e1ca816802cfe2ffc7dfad246c79d0024d8c1.jpg

Once October is out the way we’ll be sailing into November, looking forward to our next event, one that we haven’t attended before. Oooh exciting! Keen fans may already have spotted our social media announcement regarding this next one ;)

We’re going to Day of the Devs!!![www.dayofthedevs.com]

95ec8556631db15dc8b3e55bd865c0918cd5c11d.png

The team are very excited to be heading to San Francisco to participate in Day of the Devs, curated by Double Fine & iam8bit. We’re thrilled to have been selected, and thankful for the opportunity to take part in such an awesome event. Take a look at the announcement video or the website for details of the incredible roster of unreleased games that will be available to play. Day of the Devs will take place at The Midway (900 Marin St, San Francisco, CA 94124) on Sunday November 11, 2018. There’s free admission to all and it’s open to all from 3pm - 9pm. If you’re in the area you do not want to miss this! Come hang out with the developers, listen to great live music, and discover wicked new games!!

We hope to see lots of you in these coming weeks! If you haven’t played Disco Elysium yet, these events are a great chance to do so. Do come and chat to us! We always appreciate honest feedback and comments about the game.

Oh, and before we go: Have you played any good games lately? Let us know in the comments, we’re always on the lookout for cool and interesting things to check out, especially indie games! We’re particularly keen on Reigns Game of Thrones and Return of the Obra Dinn right now, what about you?

Thanks for tuning in, until next time!
Dani

vota DC

Augur
But don't you remember?

That’s all for Metric, the system that powers character creation in Disco Elysium. We hope you’ve enjoyed these posts and have gotten some interesting ideas for your build.

Next time we’ll talk about the Thought Cabinet, where you develop character traits for your cop, giving your skills new and strange sideeffects.

That was 29 MAY! Next time means half year later now?

They did already the egx event at London. They are doing another. But any conversion check on londonistan will fail. The mayor is a mooooooslim and he bans the game because alchool. Only game allowed is a modded version of C&C Generals with only GLA playable.
An event in San Francisco? They will buy the game anyway since the big one is near and they need to spent all their money before dying in the earthquake.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:stunned:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-31-disco-elysium

Chasing oblivion with Disco Elysium and alcohol addiction
'Really, at the bottom of their soul, people know that they have a bit of a drinking problem,' says designer and writer Robert Kurvitz

Video games don't have a good relationship with alcohol. Although a common feature in RPGs, the ability to quaff back booze generally amounts to little more than a mildly amusing distraction that grows old long before the inverted controls return to normal and the blurred vision clears.

While games may have matured in recent years, the medium still treats alcohol consumption with the same reckless abandon as a 16-year-old drinking their first Blue WKD at an abandoned bus stop; it's fleeting, novel, and usually ends in being sick.

Outside of that, the trope of a hard-boiled alcoholic is often used as narrative shorthand to paint a character as "troubled", but it rarely dives any deeper into the pain that drives someone to drink -- or how it really affects them -- other than oddly glamorized portrayals of the humorous cynics or former soldier who has "seen some shit".

Worse still is when alcoholism in games is played for laughs, such as the irredeemable drunk that populates every street corner in every fantasy RPG.

Games like That Dragon Cancer, What Remains of Edith Finch, and Night in the Woods have shown the industry is not only well-equipped to explore difficult issues, but able to approach them in an entirely unique way. As of yet, no game has really tapped into the oblivion-seeking tendencies that come with alcohol addiction -- how it wills you to chase that tiny black dot in the distance and makes you completely unable to stop.

Robert Kurvitz, ZA/UM

Detective RPG Disco Elysium, from Estonian developer ZA/UM, seeks to dive headfirst into that experience and, much like the blackly comic Netflix original series BoJack Horseman, illustrate the comedy and tragedy inherent therein.

"Really, at the bottom of their soul, people know that they have a bit of a drinking problem," lead designer and writer Robert Kurvitz tells GamesIndustry.biz. "I mean if you're drinking something every week, and just can't connect to your friends without it, maybe it is a bit problematic.

"Maybe it's not only the guy on the street who's just absolutely succumb to the worst genetic ravages of alcoholism, maybe us as a society also have a bit of a dependency on spicing things up with this fungus that has colonised us...

"Seriously I think it's a very very serious issue; it's more serious than people think it is... It's an immensely important issue for human society in general, and even politically to ask ourselves: 'Can we build a reality and then face it without bludgeoning ourselves to death by sucking on alcohol every day? Can I be friends with people and just meet them? Can man come up with a way of reproducing and meeting a mate that doesn't [involve] eight litres of wine on the table?' These are challenges that are yet to be matched and I'm interested to see where it's going."

Kurvitz, who has quit drinking since he began developing Disco Elysium four years ago, has never actually made a video game before. In fact, almost no one on his team has ever worked on a game. Kurtviz is an author and writer first and foremost, and his background in storytelling and games comes from years of playing tabletop RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons. But games, he suggests, are much like books in that they are perfectly positioned to show the audience what's going on inside a character's head. It's a concept that the developers have even turned into a mechanic.

"If you just put a couple of designers and programmers, as well as an artist in a room, and let them dream up concepts of what you can do with games, it's insane," says Kurvitz. "You can do so many things, and a whole lot of them are firsts. We have an inventory for thoughts, which I realised that no one has tried yet, but it was a very logical idea to come to. You can't always be scrounging up loot from the floor, because you just have to kill people, and that takes you on a certain kind of story.

The detective RPG isn't afraid to populate your character's mind with terrible thoughts

"So in our world, you also have loot, such as good thoughts that you get from a situation... To make a game that isn't entirely about killing people and taking their guns and swords, you need to have a [different] way to reward the player."

The thoughts inventory accompanies this exploration of alcoholism as you collect different thoughts by playing the game. From those black thoughts that creep in at the worst possible times to thoughts of fear or love, access to a character's psyche in this manner facilitates an exploration that can, at times, strike worryingly close to home.

Rather than leaning on tired old tropes of dead wives and missing children, Kurvitz says he wants to tackle "whatever the opposite of outlandish is". He concedes that tragedies like these are no less painful for the people who live through them, but are far from a universal experience.

"The actual ravages that [people] meet are economic, personnel," says Kurvitz. "The wearing away of dreams, slowing succumbing to alcoholism and mostly just heartbreak and disappointment in human beings...

"It's also quite possible to be mourning the passing of someone who is still living, which is what literally every one of us has [done] at some point in life. Some things end and we just don't want them to. But people make decisions, they leave each other's side. Friends will leave you, lovers will leave you -- they won't die and leave behind the video tape produced by Dead Wife Pictures Presents, running around the building with French curtains. They leave behind a giant fucking mess of shit in your head, an e-mail correspondence you never want to look at again, and just diminished faith in humanity."

Throughout our interview, Kurvitz is quick to make jokes and see the bleak, comic side of things; he argues that it's impossible not to tinge tragedy with comedy.

"If you really, really face down the situation, if you really get to the dark of it, it always produces a hollow laughter," he says. "I think truth sounds like some kind of hollow laughter... What I think I'm saying is humor doesn't lighten things in life. Maybe it makes them even darker. Maybe it's not your friend."

With only a demo of Disco Elysium available, it's too early to tell how well Kurvitz and ZA/UM have tackled the grim realities of alcoholism, but the attempt to pry open the mind of an alcoholic and play it as something other than a punchline is further evidence of an industry that is continually trying to grow.

:despair:

nobre

Cipher
Yes. Yes I could imagine that. 'Journalists', especially those that follow the industry part of entertainment or the fine arts, tend to be even more hackish than other journalists. Imagine having to churn out piece after piece about games, often not even released.

That being said, I like this outlook on alcoholism in No Truce with the Furies. This must be the Planescape: Torment (which was basically Hangover Simulator '99) influence the developers keep bragging about.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Chasing oblivion with Disco Elysium and alcohol addiction

As I understand, it was a try to attract that audience, that don't playing games, but like to talk about it in salons - now in twitter, and by talk I mean basically what ZAUM mean, sadly translation only gave bullshit like "philosophize" and "nonsense".
Shiverign in disgust.

Prime Junta

Par-for-course imbecility aside, that was a pretty neat take on DE. It was a bit different from what we've seen so far and does look at it from an interesting point of view.

:updatedmytxt:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I should admit that that article https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-31-disco-elysium is even decent, despite its beginning that makes a repulsive impression for me personally.
It has decent thought that you can't really see often, like this

"It's also quite possible to be mourning the passing of someone who is still living, which is what literally every one of us has [done] at some point in life. Some things end and we just don't want them to. But people make decisions, they leave each other's side. Friends will leave you, lovers will leave you -- they won't die and leave behind the video tape produced by Dead Wife Pictures Presents, running around the building with French curtains. They leave behind a giant fucking mess of shit in your head, an e-mail correspondence you never want to look at again, and just diminished faith in humanity."

True.

"If you really, really face down the situation, if you really get to the dark of it, it always produces a hollow laughter," he says. "I think truth sounds like some kind of hollow laughter... What I think I'm saying is humor doesn't lighten things in life. Maybe it makes them even darker. Maybe it's not your friend."

101% of truth. And a very rare moment of it, the kind people usually don't like to talk about.
It reminds me apocrypha that Jesus never laughed.

The only thing I don't see it how it connects to the game, that's why I wrote above such impression.

I wish I could talk with Marat Sar about anyting, like if he was just my neighbor.

I guess game should help with that. Right?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also this is so full of shit...

is further evidence of an industry that is continually trying to grow

Sure thing - 2-3 games in WiP state that trying to do something new, that IS NOT mainstream in any way - and this is industry, sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom