Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Drakensang: the Dark Eye

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 33: Ascent

Up ahead the witches grade Martin’s performance.

b01mtPq.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Does that mean you will fight at my side?

9HYMnN4.jpg
Whatever are you thinking? We're defenseless women, not warriors. But each of us can give you something to help you on your way. I'll start right away.

9HYMnN4.jpg
I was impressed by the way you handled the situation in the Praiots' camp. As a reward, I'll send you one of my wild pigs. It will accompany you as far as the castle entrance, sharpening its tusks on every enemy you meet. Take care that nothing happens to it.

vmYQAVh.jpg

AV3R0xu.jpg

YEoy9az.jpg

9HYMnN4.jpg
You've now received a reward from each of us. Go and fulfill your task, Martin Schulz. If you need anything else from the witches of the Dark Forest, look for us in our usual places.

With that much help, Martin can’t really lose.

xBW3A3g.jpg

The mountain path to the castle is rife with Dragon cultists, Martin and his group tear through them like a hot knife through butter.

uSLlurM.jpg

Ygb1ce6.jpg

N42pQoP.jpg

FeSEUPe.jpg

jI9SIEv.jpg

Entering the castle courtyard, the Dragon cucks set a half-baked ambush.

olA013J.jpg

Y970gBr.jpg

hhClfhV.jpg

oYl4V74.jpg

7pqyKX9.jpg

FvH55iK.jpg

vsjIQta.jpg

3ZWMfnq.jpg

The final cultists guard the entrance to the castle.

kE41kyW.jpg

TQx8w8p.jpg

Martin can now enter.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 34: Gamblack

Inside the castle there’s the choice of going stealthy or full combat.

VJABWe2.jpg

xhN8AJJ.jpg

EvDJlSg.jpg

b8VEL68.jpg

Martin follows Gladys’s suggestion. Note that to sneak effectively, Forgrimm needs to be stripped of most of his armour.

OCT86UL.jpg

F5hy4VL.jpg

There’s a small congregation of cultists that needs to be snuck past to reach a lever.

33axncF.jpg

oaU9Chp.jpg

bKN21QV.jpg

9Kb5L4b.jpg

It seems the entire party can sneak effectively with 6 in Sneak.

ZvQl77a.jpg

WVWVfwN.jpg

The lever raised a bar that blocked entrance to the dungeons.

B7Ye63l.jpg

In the dungeon area are traps and a patrolling guard who’s annoying to sneak past. But he can be killed quickly without noticing everyone.

m8ECbTC.jpg

n6TKVsm.jpg

Up ahead past more traps is a dungeon containing Jost.

ylLg2cO.jpg

ohnbBJ3.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Why did they lock you in here? Are you diseased? Or are you perhaps one of those crazy cultists?

nf64fgS.jpg
Truly, no! My research into lines of power and arcane field matrices led me to the ruins, but then Humbert and his followers captured me and locked me in here. One night shortly thereafter, heavy fighting broke out, and the robbers fled. The next day, an ugly, tattooed bald man opened the door and revealed that I was now his prisoner. While he mockingly showed me the key, he mumbled something about Umbracor Ardacorion and then slammed the door. I'm begging you to let me out.

SUj2akk.jpg
But who are you?

nf64fgS.jpg
I'm Jostanius of Aldrabia, magicus extraordinarius! But you can call me Jost for all I care, provided you get me out of here! Please!

SUj2akk.jpg
How do I know I can trust you?

nf64fgS.jpg
What do I know? How do I know I can trust you? You might be a Dragon Cultist too. At least I'm safe here. One night they wanted to fetch me "in the name of Umbracor Ardacorion" but they couldn't get the damned door open. Anyway - it looks as though we'll just have to trust each other.

SUj2akk.jpg
Umbracor Ardacorion?

nf64fgS.jpg
Interesting, isn't it? Umbracor is, of course, the name of one of the Ancient Dragons, that probably goes without saying. But Ardacorion? Never heard it, and I've never read it in any of the books I've spent my whole life studying. Oh well, it's not a sign of weakness of character not to understand every piece of nonsense stammered out by a band of obviously insane murderers.

SUj2akk.jpg
Stand aside - I'm going to try to break down the door.

nf64fgS.jpg
Forget it. Nothing works - not brute force, not Fasar silverware, not even 'Foramen Foraminor' - and I've really tried. You could probably move the mountain away and this door would remain standing. Whoever built this castle must have wanted to have a room no-one could break into under any circumstances. Look for that crazy priest - he's got the key to this room.

SUj2akk.jpg
Alright, I'll try and get the key. Wait here.

nf64fgS.jpg
Haha. Hurry up and let me out. My provisions are slowly but surely running out.

Gladys suggests to break stealth but it’s not necessary to deal with this immediately.

neNqcUr.jpg

The stealthy part is over past a guard that stays put and needs to be killed.

Gkq2ZHD.jpg

In the next area are just some war dogs that guard the entrance to the villains’ lair.

oSbuoJQ.jpg

The villains’ lair is a literal dragon’s lair. Gamblack is here. Also, the lizardman who took Selina’s necklace.

5YnpGhy.jpg

oRNbGJt.jpg

wBSF8zi.jpg

The book that Martin needs to retrieve is right there.

TiqkFRl.jpg

i9CZjMD.jpg

GEoMR4t.jpg

732lN25.jpg

D2Tsz3U.jpg

9PT9PCL.jpg

iWsmG49.jpg

QWSIXwA.jpg

Had Martin not gone stealthy, Gamblack would have around ten guards much tougher than regular cultists. Now, there are just three.

A2GDrNt.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
That has absolutely nothing to do with you, you wretched murderer!

gDOIUG2.jpg
I really don't know what you're getting at.

SUj2akk.jpg
You know only too well! You're behind the murder of Ardo of Boarstock!

gDOIUG2.jpg
Ardo of Boarstock? I'll admit that I am familiar with the name. But I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you - I had nothing to do with his death.

SUj2akk.jpg
I ... I don't believe it! Then who killed Ardo?!

gDOIUG2.jpg
What do I care?! You would have been better off asking your Oracle instead of bothering me with this. But I'm getting tired of talking. It's time for you to die. And after I get rid of you, I'll also rid myself of that false snake Noldrokon.

gjp9muI.jpg

hV8XvST.jpg

Gamblack is not that bad a fighter; he drops a unique sword.

hSjjYoG.jpg

2Tk0hvD.jpg

LeZMfwq.jpg

Also on Gamblack’s body is Malgorra’s speech – the same Malgorra who briefly appears at the end of River of Time.

TRYmgtA.jpg

All that’s left to finish up the main quest in this area is taking the book.

mjCVG5u.jpg

t3G3lwS.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 35: Wrapping up Blood Mountains

The Book of the Serpent is a description of past (failed) Dragon Quests.

AZf7w2a.jpg

K39Elku.jpg

aApAXWI.jpg

RgNCvbC.jpg

mMLKxtq.jpg

Now that Gamblack has been dealt with the party can go back up and clean up all the trash.

ODKxRzk.jpg

One of the cultists drops the key to Jost’s cell.

Ahegt2I.jpg

On the same cultist’s body is another lore book.

f3Y7HGI.jpg

8emnWqy.jpg

At any rate, Jost can now be freed and becomes party member.

GU2Rw00.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What are your plans now?

nf64fgS.jpg
Well, my attempt to complement my studies with some practical experience was only partially successful. It looks as though I'd be better off not traveling unaccompanied in future. It seems like you get around a lot and know how to deal with danger.

nf64fgS.jpg
Perhaps it would be best if I were to join you. Assuming you want me, of course. I'm a trained battlemage and would certainly be useful to you.

SUj2akk.jpg
You're welcome to join me, but not right now. Travel to Ferdok and wait for me there, in my house on Praios Square.

In Jost’s cell is a chest unlocked by Humbert’s key.

3XlowwU.jpg

Inside the chest is a magical ring among other goodies.

ORX41r6.jpg

lMQdheN.jpg

Before leaving the Blood Mountains for good, Martin decides to see what’s up at the Inquisition’s camp.

i2jvBKl.jpg

twdxdh6.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You don't bear a grudge against me, even though I helped the witches?

Lg3zMQc.jpg
The men have not forgotten that you have some of their comrades on your conscience. But they also know that they followed an unholy creature, and that you killed it.

Lg3zMQc.jpg
My disquieting feelings about the Sun Crusade have been disastrously confirmed. It's an absolute disgrace that that creature was able to lie even to us, the Servants of Praios! We followed him blindly to the Sun Crusade and let ourselves be turned into henchmen of evil. It's good that you were on the scene, Martin Schulz. Praios' Light used you to burn away the shadows of untruth.

Alvina is not at her camp anymore, but Knowall is there for some reason. He has a short sidequest with a good reward.

yaA8rgL.jpg

Rxp7O1t.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
A very good day to you, Knowall. What are you doing here?

4iGMNvL.jpg
Knowall sits here. Eats lousy blowflies. Talks to self. Would much rather eat Giant Fireflies.

SUj2akk.jpg
What's so great about Giant Fireflies? They warm your belly, huh?

4iGMNvL.jpg
Favorite food of Knowall is Giant Fireflies, croak. But flies are far away and too big for Knowall, croak. You bring Knowall Giant Firefly meat, croak, croak, croak?

SUj2akk.jpg
And what will that bring me?

4iGMNvL.jpg
Knowall has treasure at bottom of pool, croaaaak. Lovely ring! Toad man don't wear rings. Bring Knowall Giant Firefly meat. Knowall give friend treasure, croak, croak.

SUj2akk.jpg
I’ll see what I can do.

The reward for this fetch quest is a p. decent ring.

91YNGAP.jpg

Leaving Blood Mountains forever, there’s another random encounter on the way back to Ferdok.

h4xJUkR.jpg

C94qVhY.jpg

47ymMFp.jpg

This time there’s a marauding ogre to contend with.

loBmV2N.jpg

Elsewhere is a giant spider.

B2VWihh.jpg

There’s also a conspicuous mushroom circle that seemingly summons something when someone stands in the middle.

3qDWnX9.jpg

However the chest in the area contains nothing remarkable.

yCFPdrP.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 36: Return to Ferdok II

It is time to put an end to the second trial. There’s one more trial left.

x6dOUfq.jpg

q7B2EY9.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Then let us waste no further time, Venerable One.

0uRWJ3b.jpg

euXFgBO.jpg

GMF8nRD.jpg

sMvzxwx.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Venerable One? What do you mean?

oTZHW8l.jpg
For many years, I have immersed myself in the remaining writings and lore of the past trials of the Oracle, but this mystery is beyond even my knowledge.

oTZHW8l.jpg
Master Ardat, are you able to interpret the latest words of the Oracle?

sQNLMND.jpg

sKGJqVU.jpg
The 'Silver Falls' family is an ancient noble clan. Their ancestral seat is Castle Grimtooth. One of them was made Challenger of the Dragon Quest. Unfortunately, all records of this event were destroyed in the temple fire.

sKGJqVU.jpg
This was long before you were born, Dorion. I remember it as if it happened yesterday. I was a young novice and was the recording clerk at a heated debate between Grand Master Udolpho and Dragon Challenger Roderick of the Silver Falls. They could not agree on how to secure a holy artifact discovered by Roderick. It was called the 'Dragon's Eye'.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Grand Master Udolpho wanted the artifact to be entrusted to the custody of the Temple of Hesinde in Kuslik. But Roderick refused. He was a stubborn and pig-headed man. But his heart was in the right place. He did not want to entrust such a powerful artifact to the care of the knowledge-hungry votaries of Hesinde. He thought it should be protected by the soldiers of his family castle.

sKGJqVU.jpg
Finally, they agreed that Roderick should be entrusted with the artifact on the condition that the Church of Hesinde would help him to devise a system of traps to protect it within the walls of Castle Grimtooth. Since that day, the mysterious 'Dragon's Eye' has been guarded by the Knights of the Silver Falls.

sKGJqVU.jpg
However, you will have little luck in acquiring the Dragon's Eye. Since the death of Roderick, his son Traldar has taken over the castle and the task of guarding the artifact. Traldar is exactly like his father. Exactly as stubborn and pig-headed, he lives a completely reclusive life walled up in his castle. Ruling with an iron fist, he maintains only the most necessary contacts with the Count, albeit mostly via his diplomat, Gerlin.

SUj2akk.jpg
Gerlin? Master Ardat, this name means nothing to me.

sKGJqVU.jpg
I'm not surprised by that at all. He is Count Growin's most important adviser in difficult and secret diplomatic affairs. To be honest, I do not like him. He seems calculating and insincere despite all his apparent friendliness. But I do not want to prejudice you against him before you can draw your own conclusions. Count Growin has great faith in him, after all.

SUj2akk.jpg
Sounds like a very busy man. Do you happen to know where I might best be able to meet with him and persuade him to speak with me?

sKGJqVU.jpg
Unfortunately I do. I crossed his path as he was heading for the Dwarf Quarter. Apparently there are problems with the Rockcrunchers - the guards corps responsible for the area. It seems they have been keeping it under lock and key for some time. If you are lucky, he may well still be negotiating with the guards at the gates in Ducal Citadel.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for your advice. I had better be on my way.

Next, Martin goes to see Growin for some reward. Note that the game can’t decide whether Growin is a Count or a Duke… he is supposed to be a count.

xYwLCRd.jpg

KVH4KxR.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you remember the bandit Ronkwer? I met him in the Dark Forest not far from the Fortress in the Blood Mountains. I defeated him in a fight to the death. Here is the poster placing a reward on his head!

o0GYYLA.jpg
Oh, Ronkwer?! I certainly do remember him. And, err... the poster, of course! That truly is good news. For too long, that bandit had made the Dark Forest unsafe.

o0GYYLA.jpg
It is a pleasure and a great honor to bestow upon you the promised reward. Here.

SUj2akk.jpg
I have joyful news! I managed to track down Kastan Gamblack in the Dark Forest. Unfortunately, he refused to be taken back to Ferdok as a prisoner! I was forced to slay him and his dragon cultists.

o0GYYLA.jpg
A foolish man who deserved little more. You have earned your reward. Here, take the ducats and these garments bearing the arms of Ferdok!

Martin can wear the robe but it is rather heavy.

l2Z2ypH.jpg

Rhulana can put on the chainmail.

R6glFQ4.jpg

After that it is time to pick up some more training.

NZnuXgp.jpg

N633hSI.jpg

hvi31sh.jpg

qCHczPN.jpg

F8FjQvB.jpg

U49mGnb.jpg

cZkHaM9.jpg

Fatass Gerlin is also an important character in River of Time. He’s working for some kind of secret service.

sR2j0ZO.jpg

He carries two useful items to pickpocket.

ELMoJ6E.jpg

Gerlin is in discussion with a Rockcruncher dwarf, Martin calls out to him as he leaves.

DESBn5t.jpg

XDhDHFQ.jpg

qsdts3R.jpg

8dzpiFO.jpg
What is it?! I'm very bus... oh! It's you! Forgive my sharpness, today doesn't seem to be my day. To what do I owe the honor, noble Challenger of the Dragon Quest?

SUj2akk.jpg
Greetings, my name is Martin Schulz. I will get right to the point. My destiny takes me to Castle Grimtooth and the court of Traldar of the Silver Falls. They tell me that Knight Traldar lives a reclusive life, insulated from any contact with the rest of the Duchy. I hear you are the only one with whom he is prepared to conduct interviews. Is that true?

8dzpiFO.jpg
That is true, yes. Hehe, Traldar that hard-headed old mule. He balks at the company of others. Negotiations with him are always extremely arduous and time-consuming. What exactly leads you to the old Knight?

SUj2akk.jpg
You already know of the Dragon Quest. Great evil lurks and thrives in the shadows and Traldar is in possession of an important artifact that the Oracle wishes me to seek out.

8dzpiFO.jpg
I take it you speak of the 'Dragon's Eye'?

SUj2akk.jpg
You know it?! Have you seen it? Do you know how to convince Traldar to give it to me?

8dzpiFO.jpg
Whoa! Slow down a minute... yes I know of the artifact. But I haven't seen it with my own eyes. It is stored deep within the walls of Castle Grimtooth, protected by a fiendish system of deadly traps. If you really think you can simply talk Traldar into giving you the artifact, I'm afraid I must disappoint you. Many before you have tried and failed miserably.

SUj2akk.jpg
The Venerable Whitecliff of the Hesinde order told me the same.

8dzpiFO.jpg
Ah, so old Ardat sent you? Well, well. This must be very important then. He never could stand me, you know. Good old Ardat doesn't really like the way I handle problems. He never understood that in perilous times, the honest and direct approach does not always save the day.

8dzpiFO.jpg
So you want to go to Castle Grimtooth to get the artifact, knowing that Traldar will never hand it over willingly. The inevitable solution is...

8dzpiFO.jpg
... You must steal it!

SUj2akk.jpg
What? Steal?! What are you talking about?!

8dzpiFO.jpg
Listen to me. There is an old secret tunnel, deep beneath the castle. I've had to use it several times. You know, Martin Schulz, I'm not exactly built to squeeze through such tight passageways, but some things require absolute secrecy.

8dzpiFO.jpg
Go along the rock face from the south until you come to a winding path. It leads to a secret entrance that takes you deep into the castle and near the artifact. But remember that this place is heavily guarded and protected with deadly traps.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for your help. I am in your debt!

8dzpiFO.jpg
If the predictions of the Oracle are correct, then we are all in your debt. But I must also ask you a favor. Please do not tell anybody that I told you about this entrance. Just in case anybody asks you.

8dzpiFO.jpg
Oh, another thing. Marauding bands of Orcs have recently been spotted in the area of the mountains around Castle Grimtooth. So take care on your way there. If you need a little extra help, I can point you in the right direction.

8dzpiFO.jpg
You should be able to find Nasreddin, a doughty mercenary, at the harbor right now. That Novadi has fought me out of a few difficult situations in the past. I strongly recommend him. Good luck!

Crooked Otto who’s not far away now sells a rock goblin for 50 ducats. Why not purchase one?

E2mGxgV.jpg

ZPrs2wm.jpg

Nasreddin is the Novadi who owned some faggets when Martin first came here.

P4HL1Sh.jpg

EOEUcCd.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me, Martin Schulz is my name. Ah, it seems you already know of diplomat Gerlin's recommendation. He told me you were just the man for difficult situations... provided the money is right. How much would you want to join me on my mission?

i2otHEy.jpg
Aiwa, we say... 200 fluus!

SUj2akk.jpg
200 ducats?! Did I understand you correctly?!

i2otHEy.jpg
Yes. 200 fluus... Money, ducats!

SUj2akk.jpg
200 ducats. A proud sum indeed. But, since diplomat Gerlin recommended you, I agree. Here's the money.

For completion’s sake Nasreddin is added to the party. No way he’s worth 200 ducats but he comes equipped with very good armour. A lesser player would strip him off his armour and put it on Gladys or something. But the armour is rather heavy.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 37: Sidequests II

Another part of the main quest is finished so some new sidequests are available.

Sitting around is the Elf Laurelin, who’s also in River of Time. Some might also know that ‘Laurelin’ is the name of one of the Great Trees from the Silmarillion.

ABAsx7y.jpg

VCAD2W2.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
You seem somewhat troubled. Can I help you, perhaps?

UzM22Cd.jpg
Well. There is something. But I don't want to bother you with it if you have more important things to do. I am expecting a shipment of rare wood from Maraskan. It comprises extremely valuable branches from the rare tiik tok tree. The precious white wood is very light and flexible.

UzM22Cd.jpg
Master bowyers use it to make a rare and much sought-after Elven longbow. I need somebody to go to the harbor and find out where my shipment is.

SUj2akk.jpg
I would be happy to look for your shipment, noble Laurelin.

UzM22Cd.jpg
My thanks!

On the way to the harbour there’s a short visit the thieves’ guild… Gladys is now skilled enough to pickpocket her daddy (DC of 18). He carries two magic rings and a decent sum of gold.

4iqw8Ge.jpg

WYfB2Gw.jpg

8Qi8JEJ.jpg

In the harbour, the problem seems to be one of those giant crabs.

OqfMlvH.jpg

EOdWdrX.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Woah! What a monster! But I'm here to pick up a package. Tiik tok wood from Maraskan.

juM4t9s.jpg
Oh dear, I'm afraid you're too late! That monster already ate several crates! Including the one with your wood shipment!

SUj2akk.jpg
Damn! The wood is in that thing now?! You there, stand aside! I'll handle this problem.

juM4t9s.jpg
Have it your way. It's your funeral!

The crab is much tougher than the ones in Moorbridge Marshes. Killing it retrieves the tiik tok wood.

l4TTvmN.jpg

Stopping by at the harbour tavern, the tavern keeper has a small task to deal with.

Xbk8y9P.jpg

ndEIPkh.jpg
I can't bother the town guard with it. I need someone to sort the fellow out and get my money back. What about you? Would you look for him for me?

SUj2akk.jpg
I can try. What can you tell me about him?

ndEIPkh.jpg
His name is Regash. He had such an honest face. I could kick myself for letting him trick me like that! Ask after him in the 'Silver Pitcher'. That's probably where he was last. Maybe Tradan knows more.

Returning the wood to Laurelin the party receives a new recipe.

CzGcjnB.jpg

The tiik tok wood was supposed to be light and flexible yet the bow takes long to reload but is very powerful.

XCsLHeZ.jpg

Laurelin is also a trader who sells some unique Elven stuff for Gwendala. Including Ice-cold warrior spell that was nerfed in River of Time.

km5vuR0.jpg

At the Praios Square tavern Martin asks around about the “dine-and-dasher”.

0CPTRuH.jpg

SJ6cH3H.gif
Regash the Dwarf? I just saw him! You must have just missed each other. Red beard, well dressed, wears a hat with a feather.

SUj2akk.jpg
He owes innkeeper Pebblebush quite a lot of money.

SJ6cH3H.gif
Ah! A bill dodger! He had quite a few meals and drinks chalked up with me too. He's in for it the next time he turns up here.

SUj2akk.jpg
So, a red beard and a hat with a feather.

SJ6cH3H.gif
That's right. That's what he was wearing when he was here.

SUj2akk.jpg
He can't have gotten far. I can probably still catch him if I hurry. Thank you!

The dwarf is not far away, already trying to swindle another beer seller.

t06Lvzj.jpg

XeahnIw.jpg

Martin deals with the matter the Phex way.

SUj2akk.jpg
So you scoundrel, no more bill-dodging for you! It's pay day!

0VhgWbD.jpg
What?! How dare you! Keep your outrageous slanders to yourself!

SUj2akk.jpg
No more games. Innkeeper Pebblebush sent me. He wants his money.

0VhgWbD.jpg
Shh! Not so loud!

SUj2akk.jpg
Pay up then!

0VhgWbD.jpg
Can't we...you know, come to some other arrangement? Three silver thalers and you forget you even saw me. I'm sure stingy old Pebblebush isn't paying you that much.

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Haggle] I'd think about it for 3 ducats, but for 3 silvers...

0VhgWbD.jpg
[Success] That... that's... fine! I'll pay! But... but only because I don't want any trouble!

SUj2akk.jpg
Let this be a lesson to you!

All that remains to do is to disappoint the tavern keeper.

z27RiPj.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Well, I…

ndEIPkh.jpg
... you managed to get the money back too!

SUj2akk.jpg
Let me finish, man!

ndEIPkh.jpg
Sorry. So, what were you going to say?

SUj2akk.jpg
I couldn't find him anywhere. He's probably long gone by now.

ndEIPkh.jpg
*sigh* Well I suppose there's nothing we can do. At least you tried.

Returning to Ardo’s house to check on the new companions, there’s a bit of a surprise.

Aw2cFBv.jpg

An Udmurt Amazon with a temper invaded Martin’s home.

1YSATSx.jpg

48dXaNB.jpg

KN8zshw.jpg
Silence! You must hold your tongue when an Amazon speaks, Dwarf servant! Otherwise I'll make you even shorter, you little shrimp!

SUj2akk.jpg
Please! What is going on here and what are you doing in my house?! Explain yourself, stranger!

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Martin Schulz is right, sister! What are you thinking of, behaving like this?! If I didn't know better I would be embarrassed for you! Forgive her behavior. Aydan is a fellow daughter of Kurkum and a loyal friend and sister. She too survived the tragic fall of Kurkum. Together we swore not to rest until we have taken our revenge.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Filled with the shame of defeat, we made an oath to follow on the path of Rondra, hoping to receive the blessing of The Lioness and one day vanquish the final enemy of Kurkum.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Some time ago we were tracking a group of Mactaleänata, 'Black Amazons'. Unfortunately, we lost their tracks at Luring and decided to split up. Aydan headed for Salmingen, while I headed to Avestrue, agreeing to meet up later in Ferdok.

KN8zshw.jpg
That's right! I was able to pick up the tracks of those strumpets of Belhalhar and followed them to Ferdok. When I heard that you were still in the city, I had to find you.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
All well and good. But I still don't understand what took you so long and why you wear the armor of Kurkum! The Goddess does not permit us that honor until we have fulfilled our holy oath!

KN8zshw.jpg
Do you really believe The Goddess would want us to face our deadliest enemies without the best armor?! We face the Mactaleänata! You were always too diffident, Rhulana!

SUj2akk.jpg
Just a minute! 'Black Amazons' ... Mactaleänata? What are you talking about?

KN8zshw.jpg
Foolish ignorance. No time for talk, we must act!

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Enough, Aydan! This is Martin Schulz's house. We are honor-bound to explain ourselves!

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
The Mactaleänata are warriors based in Lionstone and Mendena. They are also known as the 'Black Amazons'. Along with the Invincible Legion, they form the core troops of Xeraan's empire. They are worshippers of Belhalhar and are fanatical in their hatred of Rondra and her Amazons. They stand at the side of Xeraan's prelates when he wants to impress some baron reluctant to pay tribute.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Other than that, they spend the rest of their time roaming the lands in small marauding bands, trying to hunt down and exterminate the last remaining pockets of worshippers of Rondra. Their ferocity and unpredictability are highly valued among mercenary companies, many of whom have been 'converted' to the worship of Borbarad and Belhalhar.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
They are usually armed with sabres, axes or maces and wear spiked armor, helms and heavy boots. They often travel by boat on the rivers and coastal marshes of Xeraania, as no horse will carry them.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Defeating these Mactaleänata is the last deed that we must perform to fulfill our oath to Rondra. Then we will be full members of our sisterhood. I will follow my sister unflinchingly into battle against them and it would be an honor if you too would stand by our side.

SUj2akk.jpg
You are wrong, Rhulana. The honor is all mine. What is our next step? We don't yet know where exactly to seek our adversary.

KN8zshw.jpg
Of course we do! I followed them into the Ducal Citadel. Last night they broke into the abandoned tavern 'The Golden Lance'. They seem to be using it as a hideout.

KN8zshw.jpg
The plan is simple. We go to the tavern, confront those depraved warriors of Belhalhaar and end their sinful lives to thwart the sinister plans of their dark master, whatever those may be.

KN8zshw.jpg
I will go on ahead and keep an eye on the abandoned tavern. We will meet at the great square! Arm yourself well! You too, Rhulana ...

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Do not fear, sister. We will be well armed! We shall be there soon, Aydan. May Rondra sharpen your senses!

In any case, the rock goblin Martin bought as a pet is standing around doing nothing in the basement.

H1YcMkE.jpg

The new party members are already whiling away their time as well.

JpEqggj.jpg

kBicao3.jpg

i2otHEy.jpg
... We proud Novadis seldom venture beyond the borders of our desert. But I felt the call of the unknown and followed the tempting sound of gold Ducats. I have traveled across the steaming swamps of the Lizard People in the south, to the island of the vile horse-eating Maluks, and through the kingdom you call 'Middenrealm'. Along the way I found many a gentleman that was willing to pay handsomely for my services.

Maybe Nasreddin will be added to the party later.

Jost for his part is being miserable at the balcony overlooking the garden.

ZY12wL5.jpg

2D3eLd7.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What can you tell me about yourself?

nf64fgS.jpg
Hm? I should probably start at the very beginning. 36 divine cycles ago, I was born the second son of the Knight of Anderstein on the edge of the Orcskull Steppe. According to ancient tradition, as the second son I was destined to pursue a career as the Andergast Battlemage. My older brother was trained as a knight. Had my mother had a third child, he would have joined the clergy. You see, everything in proud Andergast is predetermined according to strict rules.

SUj2akk.jpg
Is this the reason for your melancholy and thoughts of your far-off homeland?

nf64fgS.jpg
*sigh* ... yes, that's the other part of the story. My life was very strictly regimented, and I enjoyed that. I studied day in, day out in order to become a good magician. And then, one day, everything changed, and I first became aware of the fair Arnhild of Seameadow.

nf64fgS.jpg
... It was love at first sight and she seemed to reciprocate my feelings. But fate was not on my side. Arnhild had come to marry my brother, in accordance with the betrothal agreement made many years before between my father and hers. I begged my father and brother to release Arnhild from her bond, but they refused, and I left my home full of grief ... you see, everything in Andergast is predetermined in accordance with strict rules ...

Inside the house, Dranor the Cuck remains his usual useless self.

ApXAcsi.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 38: Udmurt

Aydan only allows Martin and Rhulana to join her. But Gwendala’s pet stays behind without a problem.

MJ2BVbI.jpg

UpUpkuo.jpg

KN8zshw.jpg
The Mactaleänata are still in the tavern. Are you armed?

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, let’s go in.

7SpoGl6.jpg

Inside there is indeed a suspicious NPC.

SCS06lB.jpg

QhjTFkx.jpg

KkJCXso.jpg

C94psFS.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Looks like a trap.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Aydan?! Sister!

KN8zshw.jpg
I have brought them to you mistress. Just as you commanded!

qT6nmkL.jpg

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
Join you?! Never! Aydan, I can only hope for your sake that you have a good explanation for all this!

KN8zshw.jpg
Hahaha! The calling I was given in Kurkum was very different to yours. It was Belhalhaar who showed me the truth, who showed me that The Goddess has long since abandoned us. Better to join the raging firestorm than cling to the dying embers of the past.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
You speak in fever, Aydan! I can't believe what I'm hearing!

KN8zshw.jpg
Sister, you don't understand! The flames that devoured Kurkum also revealed the true path to me. The teachings of Belhalhaar! You too will understand when you have taken the first steps. Discard your blind worship of the Lioness and see the truth.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
It is you who is blinded, Aydan! You cannot see beyond the flames of Kurkum and understand the abyss that lies before you if you continue down the wrong path!

M10xPA1.jpg
Do not fight it, young sister! Embrace the power to recognize your true enemies and destroy them! You will only fulfill your true destiny under the banner of the Mactaleänata!

KN8zshw.jpg
Your last trial awaits you, Rhulana. Kill Martin Schulz and receive the blessing of Belhalhaar to find the meaning of true strength! Everything will be better than before!

SUj2akk.jpg
Do not listen to her, Rhulana. Be strong and follow the brave call of your heart!

If some actual skill checks were needed here Martin might've been in trouble.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
My final trial ... I never fully understood what The Goddess prophesized would be my final task when she appeared to me in the Temple at Kurkum. Whatever pain your betrayal means for me, I will never turn away from Rondra! If you cannot be persuaded otherwise, my sword is against yours, Aydan!

M10xPA1.jpg
Belhalhaar also has a remedy for intransigence. Follow the call of your 'brave' Lioness , Rhulana ... to your death! Mactaleänatas! Show yourselves! To arms!

lC4XE1T.jpg

It’s a three vs four battle because two Dark Amazons appear out of the woodwork. Considering Gwendala’s pet gets killed very fast it seems they’re not very weak either.

wtzMVgh.jpg

Martin turns Aydan and the Dark Amazon leader to stone to deal with the mooks.

nqBiRaT.jpg

9lwu5IY.jpg

There’s some reprieve as it might take a while before the Flesh to Stone spells runs out.

zmyqqZJ.jpg

In any case since the Amazons are mere fighters debuffs (Iron Rust Rot, Plumbumbarm, etc.) are very effective.

Aydan is dangerous since she knows the Stormblade melee skill but she falls quickly against Rhulana.

aL2CKT1.jpg

ZsNxeLC.jpg

VwkRLsf.jpg

When the battle is over there’s a lot of good lewt to be retrieved.

D1BxIiR.jpg

5881ApA.jpg

The Amazon saber Aydan drops is the best in the game bar one.

iA4Lxwu.jpg

KyOEWhu.jpg

Trident is a spear upgrade.

e3rNz7O.jpg

Rondracomb is the reason why Rhulana was given training in Two-handed swords.

cd0VdHY.jpg

On the Dark Amazon leader’s corpse is a set of Mactaleänata armour.

9TVWL5D.jpg

However the true prize is in the chest in the middle of the room: a full set of armour of Kurkum.

2qb7SoV.jpg

Now that Rhulana has become a full-fledged Amazon, she will answer questions she refused to answer in the beginning of the game.

JSrJctj.jpg

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
The 'Daughters of Kurkum' come from the ranks of the valiant daughters of Rondra, that once repelled the hordes of Borbarad at the Amazonian stronghold of Kurkum. We, the 'Daughters of Kurkum' swear our undying loyalty to our Lady. We follow the holy traditions of the Daughters of Vengeance and fight for the cause of the Lioness. And no matter how desperate the situation may be, the 'Daughters of Kurkum' stand their ground and never retreat.

SUj2akk.jpg
Kurkum? I heard that stronghold fell.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
When the Emperor Dragon Smadur attacked the strongholds he killed nearly all of the Amazons. I was but a young girl, barely old enough to wield a saber, when the Borbaradian hordes attacked. Golgari bore my mother and aunts from the battlefield ... but I survived in the Temple of Our Lady ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Where did you get that scar in your face?

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
That was the work of a despicable slave hunter ... He thought that I would make a good concubine for an Almadan noble. I helped him to change his mind. His hunting days are over now ...

SUj2akk.jpg
So Aydan was the reason for your journey to Ferdok. Tell me again of her.

NQ8ZlUX.jpg
What a shameful betrayal of The Goddess. Aydan was absolutely the last person I would have suspected. Never forget this betrayal of the sisterhood and question everything if you do not wish to bear the same disgrace.

"Fall of Kurkum" and more recently "Reconquest of Kurkum" are likely very interesting P&P campaigns.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 39: Rats!

Martin gathers his party and returns to the brewery to finish up the rat quest.

mHC8YFh.jpg

weBtu4P.jpg

8MqI6Cc.jpg

JSNM5vI.jpg

Rat dungeons under the brewery consists of five levels with increasingly tough hordes of rats.

LR7wXSS.jpg

2pJoMkA.jpg

KcGN1Au.jpg

JgAI951.jpg

The rats on the fifth level can inflict 2 wounds with a bite. When a squishy character like Gwendala is surrounded by them it means certain death without Ice-Cold Warrior active.

0Ezy3FU.jpg

ZSZqytb.jpg

At any rate, the boss rat is apparently the mother rat that escaped from Nadoret 23 years ago.

W9sshaQ.jpg

dKwf8pJ.jpg

dZQ3wky.jpg

ksOKKq8.jpg

RMKEtZg.jpg

The mother rat herself isn’t difficult as she can be wounded (up to four wounds. What makes the battle difficult is the hordes of rats she summons, each of which can inflict wounds with their bites.

By turning all little rats to stone while Gwendala keeps Ice Cold Warrior active on the squishier party members the battle is easy. Flaming arrows help too.

Z32Ocun.jpg

y1V9URa.jpg

When the mother rat was almost dead Gwendala didn’t reactivate Ice Cold Warrior in time; she dies instantly by six wounds.

PqHl5B6.jpg

iyaWtdT.jpg

Forgrimm and Rhulana didn’t even lose a sliver of health.

A1PlUvl.jpg

On the body of the mother rat is a Ring of Vitality; Gwendala equips it as she’s squishy.

kLuLsUS.jpg

DarX0rD.jpg

In the end, 133 rats were killed… selling all tails to Crooked Otto at least should award some decent gold.

qsbAWh8.jpg

And that’s that for the most soul-numbing quest in the game, and likely the entirety of rpg history.

tFwVWlb.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 40: Stoerrebrandt III

On the way to Dykemiller Martin is approached by a Neisbeck crony.

pR0aOET.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you want from me?!

YsRP0jY.jpg
Let's just say your various activities for the Stoerrebrandt trading company have not gone unnoticed in certain quarters.

SUj2akk.jpg
So what?! I don't see what that has to do with you!

YsRP0jY.jpg
So you say, but I haven't finished! I come from the honorable Neisbeck trading company. I am authorized to make you a very generous offer. Start working for us immediately, and you'll get a bonus of 20 ducats on top of your payment the next job. What do you think?

bEZxUUi.jpg
[Haggle] 20 ducats?! Hahaha! How stupid do you think I am?! Do you really think I would betray my employer for such a ludicrous sum?!

YsRP0jY.jpg
[Success] Very well. Nobody can say that the House of Neisbeck is not generous! 100 ducats!

SUj2akk.jpg
I’m not interested.

YsRP0jY.jpg
I advise you to reconsider. You won't get a second offer.

SUj2akk.jpg
Get out of here! I don't care how much you offer, I'm not interested in your money!

YsRP0jY.jpg
Very well. As you say…

This was the point of no return in this questline.

XBy5Y2R.jpg

E5lgWer.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
An honor?

xujHmOJ.jpg
Master Stoerrebrandt wants you to receive his youngest son, Reginald Stoerrebrandt, at the harbor. The old man needs some fresh faces to help him in his constant struggle with the House of Neisbeck. You are to ensure that his son arrives in one piece.

SUj2akk.jpg
Do you really think that the youngest son is the right person to deal with the situation in Ferdok?

xujHmOJ.jpg
As sure as Praios lives in the sun! Reginald is direct, dynamic and unflinching, just like his mother. He has managed the Stoerrebrandt affairs in Gareth until now and that certainly counts for something!

SUj2akk.jpg
Fine, well it sounds like you may be right. I don't know the Stoerrebrandt family business as well as you. When is he coming to Ferdok?

xujHmOJ.jpg
Right now! His ship must be docking at this very moment. His father is already waiting for him. So make haste and don't keep young Master Stoerrebrandt waiting.

SUj2akk.jpg
Of course not. I will go there immediately.

Btw in the harbour is a “boat merchant”; it’s an obvious swindle.

xEFApiV.jpg

vHhuJCj.jpg

The Stoerrebrandt son is waiting at the dock where Ardo had met his end.

S0CtPmQ.jpg

9DkgsUd.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I am. I was told to accompany you to the Stoerrebrandt warehouse. It was considered the safest option, given the current situation.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Ah yes, the House of Neisbeck and its dirty dealings. They're the reason I'm here at all. The problem seems to be even more serious than it at first appears. I intend to stand up to them and their brutal methods.

SUj2akk.jpg
I admire your zest for action, but we really should be heading for the warehouse now.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Nonsense! There'll be plenty of time for touching family reunions later on. Let's get right down to finding out more about the House of Neisbeck. I managed to drum up the names of a couple of possible informants on my way here. We should direct our attentions to contacting them immediately.

SUj2akk.jpg
By your leave, that is not my mission.

EgVVU5H.jpg
You're here to escort me, aren't you? I shall decide for myself where I care to go! We should act before my presence here is common knowledge. I do not intend to forfeit that advantage to my father's eagerness to see me.

SUj2akk.jpg
Very well. If that is what you wish to do. I will follow you.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Let's go then! I hope you can keep up!

Martin needs to follow fattie around as he goes to bother various people.

QD66tDd.jpg

EGYnrcA.jpg

ht27lxh.jpg

3fqrEeR.jpg

EgVVU5H.jpg
Then I'm in the right place. I am Reginald Stoerrebrandt, son of Emmeran Stoerrebrandt of the trading company of the same name.

QmaES8k.jpg
Yes, I know you! From Gareth! It was you who contributed so generously to the rebuilding of Gareth. After the destruction of the 'Battle in the Clouds' hardly anyone dared believe in the reconstruction.

EgVVU5H.jpg
That's right. After my grandfather retired and my father Emmeran set off to spread our trading companies influence throughout Aventuria, I took over the business in Gareth. After the dreadful tragedies that befell the city, I saw it as my duty to provide help to those who needed it.

QmaES8k.jpg
I understand! But what brings the great Stoerrebrandt to little Ferdok?

EgVVU5H.jpg
Ha! 'Little Ferdok'. I'm sure you know exactly why I'm here. Otherwise, you wouldn't be Calandor Cupinez.

QmaES8k.jpg
Hehe, maybe you're right. Let me guess. Could it be the unaccustomed difficulties your company is having with a certain long-established Ferdok trading company?

EgVVU5H.jpg
Unaccustomed difficulties'! Hah! You could call them that. Yes. My father asked me to come to Ferdok to help him with his problems. The House of Neisbeck is taking things a bit far for my liking and that's exactly what brings me to you.

QmaES8k.jpg
Ah, so that's why! How can a modest trader like myself be of service?

EgVVU5H.jpg
Come now! Let's have no false modesty here! I know that you trade in much more than just exotic goods. What did they tell me again...? "Calandor Cupinez is a font of great knowledge ... you just need to throw in enough coins to bring it bubbling up."

QmaES8k.jpg
Hahaha! That is very nicely put. I don't want to know who said that. But, yes, you've discovered me. I don't trade in exotic goods alone. What exactly are you interested in?

EgVVU5H.jpg
To start with? Everything you can tell me about the Neisbeck Trading Company. The important players behind the scenes, their business and negotiation tactics... everything.

QmaES8k.jpg
Oh really. You may be overestimating good old Calandor a little! Fine, well I do know a few things about the Neisbeck's dealings and I'd be happy to sell them to you, but you shouldn't expect too much.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Very well. Here's 50 farthings. Now tell me what you know.

QmaES8k.jpg
Only 50 farthings?! Please! It may not be much, but what I know isn't worth so little!

EgVVU5H.jpg
Very well. Here's one ducat. That should be more than enough. Well? I'm listening!

QmaES8k.jpg
Fine, fine. Don't get so excited! As I'm sure you already know, they're a well-established trading company that started off here in Ferdok. Their long-standing contacts with all kinds of people throughout the town mean they have a lot of influence and very precise knowledge of what's going on in Ferdok. Sometimes they know even more than the town guard, or at least that's how it seems.

QmaES8k.jpg
They have an extensive trade network within Ferdok and they are involved in nearly every deal that takes place here. There are also rumors that the House of Neisbeck isn't only involved in official business, but that it also grows rich on darker dealings. Smuggling, stolen goods, slavery ... Some say they would stop at nothing to defend their supremacy in Ferdok.

EgVVU5H.jpg
You can say that again! Since my father set up his tent here in Ferdok, our goods shipments are constantly being attacked, our messengers suddenly fall ill, our customers seem to lose interest in doing business with us. My father and I have long been certain that the House of Neisbeck is behind it all. The only problem is that we can't prove it!

QmaES8k.jpg
Soo, you need proof? Maybe I can help you there! I've never had anything to do with the Neisbecks personally, but I know an old scoundrel by the name of Tarosh Strawbeadle. He worked for the House of Neisbeck for quite some time and was fairly well respected.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Why doesn't he work for them any more? Was there some kind of trouble or dispute?

QmaES8k.jpg
Well, he had a problem with the booze. At some point he stopped being useful and became an embarrassment. He's an old imman player, so he spends a lot of time at the "Fleet Footed Ferret". That's a tavern here in the docks. Look for him there if you want to speak to him. If you're lucky, he will have already blown all his money. That's pretty much the only time he's sober.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Hm. Many thanks, even though you didn't tell me much I don't already now. You know, you really ought to rethink your prices - from businessman to businessman.

8SCWSIY.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Not Tarosh Strawbeadle? Isn't he an old imman player?

EgVVU5H.jpg
Well, I don't know him. I just heard that he's much too fond of a drink. We had better hurry if we want to find anything out from him. He shouldn't be too drunk yet. I hope not, anyway...

SUj2akk.jpg
Front all that I've heard, I think we should hurry.

Martin follows Reginald to the tavern but they are already too late.

9sTYgn9.jpg

Trx9kJQ.jpg

BNLTvuM.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Maybe I should try talking to him. I have a little experience with these types.

EgVVU5H.jpg
As you say. Try your luck!

Kw216AX.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Excuse me, I won't bother you for long. Are you Tarosh Strawbeadle, the famous imman player?

yBIsV8J.jpg
Yeah, *hic* tha's me... famous in all Aveshurrrya! Ush'd be... *hic* ... anyways! N... now'days... *hic* ... ol Tarosh ... *hic* ... earns his crusht... wi', *hic* errands!

SUj2akk.jpg
Errands?! How did it come to that? I thought you were employed by the wealthy Neisbeck trading company.

yBIsV8J.jpg
Nah, nah... I did some *hic* work for the ... *hic*... Neishbecksh. But yuh ... yuh don' talk 'bout ' *hic*... tha'... *belch*... Jus' brings... *hic*... trouble...

SUj2akk.jpg
No need to be so pessimistic! There's noone here to bother us. Nobody's listening in. Come on, let's have a drink. Innkeeper! A round for me and my friend here!

yBIsV8J.jpg
Thh... *hic*... thanks? Ahh... I needed... *hic*... that. Right, *hic* come... closher.

yBIsV8J.jpg
Ever hear of... *hic*... the 'Dark Eyes' g... gang?

SUj2akk.jpg
I think so. I'm not really sure. You hear a lot of rumors these days.

yBIsV8J.jpg
I was *hic* a... member! That Lars Bravethorn, he's the leader. Used to be some... some sorta Wagoner's Home militia. But now i'ss all smugglin' an' stuff. An we *hic* dun a few thing for Na ... Neisbeck. *buurp* It all got a bit heavy for me, so Lars *hic* jus' dumped me.

Note that Bravethorn was Hookensang’s traitorous first mate in River of Time.

SUj2akk.jpg
Dumped? What happened?

yBIsV8J.jpg
Well, the jobs... *belch*... the Neish... Neisbeck jobs... got heavier. Beat... *hic*... the Stoerrebrandts at any price... When our boys started gettin' killed... *hic*... tha' was enough... for me. Lars went too far! He din' care... *hic*... 'bout the boys! He jus' took the... Neisbeck's money!

yBIsV8J.jpg
Thas' why... tha's why I got angry wi' him. He... he jus' laughed, *hic*. Tha' was jus' too much... *hic*... I drew my club... *hic*... three of the pigs ganged up... *hic*... on me! Bra... *belch* ...Bravethorn. Huh! He jus... laughed! But I'll get 'em back!

SUj2akk.jpg
This Bravethorn, where can I find him?

yBIsV8J.jpg
In Wagoner's Home, we got... a *hic* warehouse... *hic*... our hideout... But you shouldn't go there! Sum... summat big down there... *belch*... today.

yBIsV8J.jpg
My ole buddy ... Radu ... Radulf *hic* Kramer was 'ere. He said, there's some... *hic*... importan' visitor coming. Mus' be imp... *hic*... important. Was in a real... rush.

SUj2akk.jpg
A visit from on high, eh? Interesting. You don't know where Kramer went, do you?

yBIsV8J.jpg
Radulf Kramer. He's... *hic*... usually near the entrance to Wagoner's Home... *burp* ... bridge to harbor... *hic* ... island. He'sh usually standin' lookout... there. Sh... should be there now. Tha's... *hic* where they wen'. Now let me drink in peace!

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you, I'll pay a little visit to your old sidekick.

yBIsV8J.jpg
Ssay... *hic* hello from me, when...you... bah! Bunch of *hic* spineless... no backbone! But... *hic* ... what do... I care 'bout them! Th... thanks... *hic*... again for th' dring!

LPrOVWG.jpg

At the barred entrance to Wagoner’s home, Reginald picks a fight with Kramer.

8aPWz2w.jpg

nxjjDbn.jpg

18O8V0K.jpg

EgVVU5H.jpg
I detest violence, but since you ask so nicely, I will be happy to give you the beating you deserve.

GUj12Np.jpg

ahGKPtt.jpg

Martin enters Wagoner’s home with Reginald, but is forced to send all companions away first.

96y99pL.jpg

EgVVU5H.jpg
Right. I locked the gate behind us, just to be safe. Hehe. We don't want someone sneaking up on us. Hmm... strange... do you hear that too?

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you mean? I don’t hear anything.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Exactly. It's much too quiet! Where is everybody? Look! Over there. The street is blocked by a heavy wagon! We should definitely stick together and move up carefully. It would be really annoying if we didn't manage to find out what's going on here!

The direct routes are all blocked by carts, Martin and Reginald need to find a vantage point to spy on a meeting.

Tz6lO46.jpg

There are some thugs to sneak past but it is very easy with the fog. Besides, they’re imbeciles.

a5np0KA.jpg

puVSPfm.jpg

ZIEQbTv.jpg

PbPIhVm.jpg

A cutscene starts when the vantage point is reached.

YWOlkz7.jpg

t0FDHTE.jpg

Oe9xnHp.jpg

fuQCyeH.jpg

EgVVU5H.jpg
It looks like the Town Guard is not his only source of income. But something like that was to be expected.

EgVVU5H.jpg
But the ragtag figure next to him is a stranger to me. Hmm ... Perhaps the Bravethorn chap we've heard about. There are Dark Eyes enough here, so why not their leader, too?

EgVVU5H.jpg
That would also fit in with the frequent attacks these jokers have been making on our deliveries.

9XiBTUB.jpg

EgVVU5H.jpg
No matter what he is, it most certainly means nothing good when the Neisbeck family keeps company with those kinds of people.

EgVVU5H.jpg
That two-faced snake! I should have known that she was behind all the problems we have been having recently.

EgVVU5H.jpg
The Neisbeck woman as ringleader, that dimwit Bravethorn carrying out the dirty work and that corrupt swine Tashman, who is covering everything up.

EgVVU5H.jpg
That's how it all falls into place. But how does this spellcaster fit into the picture?

f38It2u.jpg

O54ljHe.jpg

All that remains is returning to Dykemiller.

Am4a4EH.jpg

0Gm8fo2.jpg

EgVVU5H.jpg
Hold off with your anger! It is my fault that we are late. I wanted to look around Ferdok a little before answering my father's call. I had to know exactly what was going on here. Fortunately, we were able to find out a few important things.

xujHmOJ.jpg
If that is so, then I must apologize for my behavior, Martin Schulz.

SUj2akk.jpg
It’s fine. I did not take it to heart.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Good. That's all cleared up then. Pay Martin Schulz and let us set off to meet my father. I have a lot to discuss with him.

xujHmOJ.jpg
Very well, Master Stoerrebrandt. Here is your payment. Forgive me again for my initial intemperance.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Very good. I shall certainly have need of your services more frequently. Be so good as to pass by here every now and then. That reminds me. You may keep the key to the gates of Wagoner's Home. Here, I no longer need it. See you later!

Ur294Ak.jpg

Martin can now return to the main quest.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 41: Above the Silver Falls

It took a lot of ducats to add Nasreddin to the party; furthermore he came recommended by Gerlin. Hence Martin will use him for once.

nbXNCxM.jpg

Nasreddin specializes in bows and daggers. Daggers would normally be chittest weapon but his own unique dagger is a good weapon.

0YmzACK.jpg

6O53yzR.jpg

Not to mention Nasreddin is already completely set up to learn Mortal Blow.

i9nAmIA.jpg

hghLTQq.jpg

The armour he wears is special too.

vmB5DOS.jpg

Rhulana crafts the tiik tok longbow for Nasreddin but tbh it’s a chitty weapon, just too slow to be useful.

TrLasWo.jpg

On the way to Grimtooth Castle is another random encounter.

tqqWkSg.jpg

0WBv3Nm.jpg

This time there are around ten Dragon cultists, several among them archers; not too easy at all.

DyfwxLO.jpg

Further ahead are four bears… aren’t these supposed to be solitary creatures?

DppK7Fd.jpg

Reaching the only path to Grimtooth Castle, the party notices it’s already nearly sacked.

uQDEb4G.jpg

Some coward comes running as soon as Martin moves ahead.

5hQPUsw.jpg

EMDjXF2.jpg

Ags2k2Q.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Hordes of Orcs? Speak! What happened!

K0xpq76.jpg
The Orcs stormed the castle. Traldar and his remaining warriors are holding the inner defenses. I was sent out with a handful of comrades to fetch help.

SUj2akk.jpg
The Dragon's Eye! Is it still secure?

K0xpq76.jpg
Eye...? I don't know what you're talking about. But there is a room in the castle that is always kept locked. It was my task to guard the room. Traldar was very particular about that room. May Phex watch over us ... they'll be here soon.

SUj2akk.jpg
I have to get to the castle! Can you help me?

K0xpq76.jpg
No, I have to fetch reinforcements. Traldar is counting on me. What I can tell you is that there are a dozen Orcs guarding the path up the mountain. But I'm sure you can avoid them, if you're careful.

SUj2akk.jpg
How?

K0xpq76.jpg
There is a tunnel in the mountain wall. You can use it to sneak past them. Go now, or we shall all sleep in Boron's halls this night.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hurry on. I will take care of your pursuers.

There’s a small group of Orcs that’s easily dealt with. But an ogre comes lumbering after.

vVwPwAT.jpg

VRyNXDG.jpg

DHqFZs4.jpg

Ybbn9Nm.jpg

48wsPYR.jpg

Further along the path are bigger groups of Orcs; these can be snuck past using a side route but why bother.

tLfOao5.jpg

dZekFZD.jpg

Past a narrow gorge is a second mercenary in dire trouble.

7U2zWEi.jpg

y7hwqZN.jpg

HAVCmsJ.jpg

Bpr5DO5.jpg

There’s a small sidequest to save this mercenary. When casting sleep or paralysis on the ogre and orc leader the battle is not very tough.

1UlBAj0.jpg

qJs9Bdy.jpg

KkPa2WB.jpg

Y5UMlVH.jpg

lVMjtOv.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Yes, I killed Humbold's pursuers and he has gone on ahead to fetch help. I am here on a mission for the Temple of Hesinde. I have to get into the castle and retrieve a valuable artifact. Do you know where I could find the Dragon's Eye?

LgSuYwr.jpg
No, I've never heard of it. We just kept running until we were outside, and then we were ambushed. The black furs were everywhere. I tried to slow them down and win some time for Humbold.

SUj2akk.jpg
But how did the Orcs manage to storm the castle? I was told that there were only a few tribes scattered about the region.

LgSuYwr.jpg
Pah, don't make me laugh! There are hordes of black furs here. The Orcs are well-organized and are aided by fearsome Ogres and a Witch that is well-versed in the dark arts of black magic.

SUj2akk.jpg
Hmm, that sounds strange ... What else can you tell me?

LgSuYwr.jpg
At first we only encountered small groups of Orcs in the mountains. The lord of the castle, the good knight Traldar, paid us good money to hunt them down. He put up a reward of 100 ducats for the head of the Orc's leader Bloodfang. But then the wind turned ... and the Orcs began attacking us. Hordes of them.

SUj2akk.jpg
Go on.

LgSuYwr.jpg
Those blasted black furs were getting reinforcements from somewhere ... Kor knows where from ... they certainly weren't from around here. Then that witch began to bombard our battlements with balls of fire, while the giant Ogres attacked the castle gates with a massive battering ram. They made kindling wood out of the gates in no time at all. The valiant Traldar led a desperate counterattack ...

SUj2akk.jpg
And what happened next?

LgSuYwr.jpg
... Humbold and I stormed outside to hold the breach, but then the Ogres ... begin to slaughter man and woman alike, until only a handful of us remained ...

SUj2akk.jpg
And? Do you know what happened to Traldar?

LgSuYwr.jpg
Traldar and his remaining men barricaded themselves inside the castle's inner walls. We were sent out to fetch help. And here I am.

SUj2akk.jpg
What a battle! But even if the castle is surrounded by all the Orc tribes of Orcland ... I have to get inside, Gondwin! The Dragon's Eye must not fall into the enemy's hands. I hope it's not too late.

LgSuYwr.jpg
You really are serious about this, aren't you? I'll help you. Follow me and I will lead you to the secret passage.

In this area can be found the very rare and most difficult to harvest plant, olginroot. Martin’s nature skill are paltry compared to Gwendala and so he can do nothing with these.

8r2GMKi.jpg

Following the merc down the path, eventually there is the entrance to the “secret” entrance guarded by Orcs.

LuoXSWf.jpg

RtL7CeX.jpg

HgN1vqU.jpg

2UuTfEC.jpg

06OOfKy.jpg

The merc suggests to sneak around but it prolly won’t happen.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 42: Tunnels & Trolls

Inside the tunnel there’s a bit of a spider problem. Cobwebs are all over the walls and floor.

hpkbY0L.jpg

zglblu2.jpg

Jz6rJbj.jpg

The way to the spider lair is through a long tunnel with several wooden barricades.

4bDAq30.jpg

S1XVsPe.jpg

Martin destroys the spider eggs but it’s really only the momma spider that matters.

FZGSHbF.jpg

KwYcea0.jpg

36pmYhU.jpg

PcT0NFO.jpg

Against the big spiders some care needs to be taken of their poisonous bite.

JynBtFO.jpg

UBwnuAq.jpg

LpDTO8m.jpg

Returning to the main tunnel, the entrance to the castle is guarded by some Orcs taunting an ogre.

73KHsdL.jpg

G4mYgKN.jpg

XXvH8V3.jpg

UCvrDi6.jpg

The three attack as soon as they notice Martin and his retinue.

ckXE5Eh.jpg

9fkF0KF.jpg

The way to the castle is clear; there’s still the matter of being stealthy or not.

FCxxNVy.jpg

3srtFr3.jpg

The stealth comes down to avoiding an Orc and his dog which is easily done as there are many siderooms and some secret passages.

8xl4cAG.jpg

Passing the first level undetected gives a mere 50 extra experience.

Xeffxbv.jpg

At the higher levels stealth is no longer necessary; the Orcs can be killed in peace.

hQa4s5D.jpg

Ddxh5sc.jpg

YruU4UY.jpg

ivpENaA.jpg

Fighting Orcs is annoying as their special attack “double attack” cannot be parried.

The way to the next level is blocked, Martin needs to find some special levers to continue.

DQy1FqQ.jpg

On this level are some good armour and weaponry waiting to be taken; the entire party’s inventory can easily become completely full here. Not to mention, there’s the matter of getting overencumbered.

7DqJHic.jpg

Rl02J3Z.jpg

iCNweZo.jpg

VlbAYj8.jpg

Martin finds the room with the levers to raise the portcullis; the shields make it clear in which order they need to be raised or pulled. Apparently this was too complicated for the dumbfukk Orcs.

ycCoDkb.jpg

DBhyfwO.jpg

The last of the Orcs to be killed hang around the cell block.

WsqcVMu.jpg

podE5qX.jpg

uAZ1VA2.jpg

The Orc captain drops some keys, but the inmates don’t want to leave anyway.

HHN03Hi.jpg

NjwJUfy.jpg

ecB3Vc8.jpg

k6gZ1kH.jpg

The Dragon’s Eye should be on the next level.

jg2kaLu.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 43: Eye of the Dragon

On the next level is the treasure room. There’s nothing but a long corridor rife with deadly traps.

DhZpRiK.jpg

VYAstu9.jpg

Some Orc dumbfukks can be lured into the traps, it saves some time that would be spent disabling them.

bYQVESo.jpg

hxRuqVG.jpg

EgGpZBP.jpg

ROBGGt1.jpg

There’s a torch bracket puzzle here to open the door to the treasure room. As there are fire traps, it’s best for Nasreddin with his fireproof armour to solve it.

oJSJHcI.jpg

yasgytu.jpg

8Jp1YHU.jpg

Past some final traps is at last the treasure room.

8QvZZNR.jpg

4IiEsvS.jpg

There’s a puzzle here with rotating statues of Hesinde, where rotating each statue will also rotate some others.

OH4Hgja.jpg

However there’s also a lot of good loot around.

Among other stuff, Gladys gets a new robe and Martin a new ring.

G0pBANA.jpg

tCDJR3m.jpg

mbTzbGi.jpg

Gladys solves the puzzle and retrieves the Dragon’s Eye.

bfP0uY4.jpg

70SO9Ya.jpg

G4D1t8C.jpg

W4vAkpk.jpg

6pmqoVx.jpg

iPEWUyg.jpg

All that’s left to do now is leaving premises and taking the same way back is impossible.

However the party can leave through a door that opens to a hall.

BHvmG5R.jpg

There are a lot of Orcs and one Ogre in the hall, a chaotic battle ensues.

mbMxq4S.jpg

KOt4yxi.jpg

The only way out is ultimately to the courtyard.

YaRCrHO.jpg

In the courtyard Knight Traldar is waging a desperate battle, right under the nose of the bitch in the purple dress.

umYnReB.jpg

yQw3vsE.jpg

H8fz9Kz.jpg

5qTgLuh.jpg

One might recall that Malgorra appears at the end of River of Time, during the baron’s banquet.

XrOrWmj.jpg

Martin arrives either in the right or wrong time.

ZwxGScR.jpg

VcRgSww.jpg

k2LiH2j.jpg

LO9vLS9.jpg

GjPxiyY.jpg

If Martin is edgy and refuses, Malgorra blows some phagget away.

Bt6OFDH.jpg

P6qcA4P.jpg
You're playing with other people's lives, lad. But, if that's what you want ...

1SwXKeB.jpg

P6qcA4P.jpg
Well? How many more must die for your arrogance? The Eye, at once!

SUj2akk.jpg
You foul spawn of the lower hells! Fine ... here is the Eye.

P6qcA4P.jpg
Give me the Dragon's Eye ... or Traldar's boy will meet his end. Everything in life has its price. Don't forget that ...

Malgorra throws the “Orc” leader under the bus as soon as she has the Dragon’s Eye in her possession.

vIOViPW.jpg

avecFg2.jpg

UFpVdWO.jpg

kQeiMPe.jpg

TjCKWMs.jpg

Seems the Orcs were just another pawn of the lizard conspiracy.

p1v3fPG.jpg

Rw3nDTw.jpg

CgaqWz6.jpg

Since Traldar joins as a temporary party member in this battle Nasreddin became a sixth party member… making the game extremely buggy. I couldn’t take control of him without the game instantly crashing, hence throughout the battle he just stood around like a retart.

nzYPENL.jpg

In any case the battle is not hard as Noldrokon can be wounded easily up to four times. But it’s not his final form…

tJHZ7I1.jpg

NgGUvwK.jpg

cWUSEcF.jpg

K3V50UH.jpg

In his final final form out of the blue Noldrokon manages to cast a SP*19 Thunderbolt that hit Martin for 30 damage and knocked him out.

O2QNX2h.jpg

0Mwdh2Z.jpg

DPDTHd5.jpg

But it no longer matters.

5j7LMLK.jpg

After killing lizard the Orcs will conveniently pack their bags.

lOdPtG9.jpg

9ww4LHt.jpg

And Traldar has another ace up his sleeve.

5RjqMYT.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I am Martin Schulz, the Dragon Quest Challenger. I was sent by the oracle to retrieve a dragon artifact from your care and to return it to the Temple of Hesinde in Ferdok. But it would seem that Malgorra now possesses the artifact.

2zfEcEv.jpg
You saved my son's life. I owe you my thanks. But tell me: If you are who you claim to be, then I am sure you can tell me how many divine cycles have passed since the last Dragon Quest Challenger answered the dragon's call, and what signs attend your quest.

SUj2akk.jpg
Eighty-seven divine cycles have passed since the last of the Dragon Quest Challengers walked the fields of Aventuria. I am the tenth challenger. On my path I shall know wisdom, courage and strength, but also suffering, pain and despair.

2zfEcEv.jpg
Yes, you speak the truth. I hope that you will forgive me my precautions, but I had to be sure that you are the one you claim to be. The real 'Dragon's Eye' is guarded like an ancient family heirloom. We have sworn to protect it with our last drop of blood from all those who would seek to possess it.

SUj2akk.jpg
The real 'Dragon's Eye'?! But ... what do you mean?

2zfEcEv.jpg
Just as I said. The oracle spoke to my grandfather, a mighty Dragon Quest Challenger like yourself, in his dreams. When he found the 'Dragon's Eye' the oracle instructed him to protect the artifact until the tenth challenger came to fulfill his destiny.

2zfEcEv.jpg
He refused to give the artifact to the priests of Hesinde or to the others who sought to use it to sate their desire for treasures. My grandfather swore that he and his descendants would safeguard the 'Dragon's Eye' until the day arrived to give it to its rightful owner.

2zfEcEv.jpg
He hid it deep within the catacombs below his castle and protected it with innumerable deadly traps. But what no one knows is that the stone he hid there was only a replica. The descendents of Roderick of the Silver Falls have always carried the real 'Eye' on their person.

SUj2akk.jpg
You have it?! Do you mean to say that Malgorra didn't steal it?!

GKETqlM.jpg

Martin snatches victory from the jaws of defeat.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you Traldar. You are an honor to your grandfather's name. I shall set out to Ferdok at once. And what about you? Castle Grimtooth lies in ruins and all of your men are dead.

2zfEcEv.jpg
First I must travel to Ferdok and inform Count Growin of what has happened. You'll find me at his residence. Please consider anything that you find within the castle vaults your own, my friend. Whatever you might find is worth but a fraction of what I owe you for saving my son's life. You are more than welcome to seek me out at the Count's residence, should you need a brave warrior to fight at your side.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you for your generous offer, noble Traldar. Farewell.

uKiLQRs.jpg

All that remains is leaving premises in peace.

9cBwyEr.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 44: Return to Ferdok III

Martin picked up another piece of the golden armour at Grimtooth castle.

LUtHLO0.jpg

FqzrZLM.jpg

The three trials are finished but obv. the real work is only beginning.

plGytyq.jpg

58WFfTv.jpg

HD22SLW.jpg

LdRnSTJ.jpg

UnJ02vQ.jpg

W4DMGZJ.jpg

CamTb0l.jpg

aOqMSw7.jpg

NuUH3rG.jpg

Grs1fP6.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
The Shield of Fendral! It is an honor!

oTZHW8l.jpg
Shield Bearer! Do you need anything else for your journeys?

SUj2akk.jpg
Could you tell me again your thoughts on the words of the Oracle?

oTZHW8l.jpg
The Oracle said that your path, your destiny will be revealed by the Dragon's Eye. According to the Book of the Serpent, you will require a powerful magician to see through the Eye. You should speak with Rakorium. As far as I know, he intended to visit you at your house on Praios Square.

SUj2akk.jpg
Many thanks for everything! But now I'll take my leave.

The Shield of Fendral is a nice boon. It basically has a constant Blitz dich find SP* 12 effect.

0EdZ8KC.jpg

Next up Martin heads to the Duke/Count to add Traldar to the party.

NhSFGjf.jpg

2bMdRZE.jpg

9w64KqO.jpg

o0GYYLA.jpg
Anyway, I am not unaware of the tenacity for which the Silver Falls clan is renowned and I am sure Knight Traldar does not intend to allow this 'Malgorra' to go unpunished.

2zfEcEv.jpg
I'm afraid I must disagree. Even though my heart yearns to do battle with the foes who devastated our ancestral seat, I intend to stand by the Challenger of the Dragon Quest.

2zfEcEv.jpg
I will fight by your side to maintain the equilibrium and honor my father's memory. Together we shall drive back the forces of darkness!

SUj2akk.jpg
I am honored, Knight Traldar. I could certainly use someone like you. Join me and fight by my side!

At any rate Traldar is a ridiculously powerful warrior who comes with a ridiculously powerful sword.

CLVsznG.jpg

UA9pYh5.jpg

d4RFwx2.jpg

CLaOvht.jpg

To “balance” him the developers gave him artificially pathetic Magic resistance… but this can be remedied with potion/Psychic Focus spell.

For now Forgrimm will stay at home. Nasreddin will be replaced with Gwendala.

TJvtLzI.jpg

2zfEcEv.jpg
In keeping with my family's traditions, when I was 10 my father sent me to Ferdok to serve as a squire and train to be a knight. I returned to my homeland after my apprenticeship and took up my father's legacy five years ago. Phenar was born 16 divine cycles ago and I am very proud of him. One day, he will bring great honor to our name.

The party also takes time for some new training.

cWD0x3A.jpg

QgSwk8l.jpg

QvbQSCA.jpg

On the way to his home, Martin notices some trouble at the local tavern.

FP5QhN9.jpg

How did trolls even manage to enter the city unnocited.

OQ5TuRu.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
What's going on here, by the Twelvegods?! How did those Trolls get in here?

D6xfwfS.jpg

OpAF0K5.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Hm. Then give them something to go away.

SJ6cH3H.gif
They already drank a whole barrel of Ferdok Pale Ale! They chugged it down like water, the barbarians!

The trolls cannot be convinced to leave. This troll problem is solved by just satiating the trolls.

sFl45TU.jpg

The trolls can be pickpocketed but obv. don’t carry anything of worth.

q3yaQl1.jpg

LxmUgC8.jpg

5FTBx7D.jpg

tdcBgqH.jpg

SJ6cH3H.gif
They've gone. Finally. But you weren't exactly a huge help this time, Martin Schulz. The Trolls have gone but so are half my supplies. But... ah well. At least I can finally get some peace!

SUj2akk.jpg
I was just protecting you from yourself, Tradan! Who knows what else those fellows would have broken if they had stayed even longer. Did you think about that?

SJ6cH3H.gif
Pah! What's that supposed to mean?

SUj2akk.jpg
I see, and what about my money?

SJ6cH3H.gif
Ah yes, the 2 ducats! I'd almost forgotten...

SUj2akk.jpg
... I hadn't. A deal is a deal.

SJ6cH3H.gif
Well then, here's your money.

After this distraction Martin can go to speak to the dotard in his kitchen.

egcRVLV.jpg

oCQpAPq.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I have just come from the Temple of Hesinde. The Oracle revealed to me that the Dragon's Eye will reveal my destiny, but I don't know how to unleash its power. Reverend Dorion mentioned you as a great magician with knowledge of this powerful artifact.

IcRVYwP.jpg
That's right, yes! Hehe, let's take a little look at it, hmm...

SUj2akk.jpg
Here it is. What do you see, great Rakorium?

IcRVYwP.jpg
I see... mountains... Mountains in which the Smith of the Gods forged weapons for the great battle. Deep in the mountain where tortured souls await their salvation. There too will you find the object of my... I mean your heart's desire, hehehe.

SUj2akk.jpg
What does this mean, great mage?

IcRVYwP.jpg
Your path leads you to Murolosh, my friend. The Dwarven capital far off in the Anvil Mountains. But the route to Murolosh isn't exactly ... ermm... open to any traveler. You can only be granted access... heehee... at the behest of the Dwarf King Arambolosh. Your best option... hmm... is to ask Count Growin. I'm sure he can tell you how best to get to Murolosh.

IcRVYwP.jpg
And now... umm... excuse me please. I have to get back to my... ermm... studies.

In Wagoner’s home is another problem at the tavern.

j8vzlGn.jpg

ce3jkcM.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Why? What happened?

bXyVQP1.jpg
I'll tell you what happened! There's a horrible monster in my bar, that's what happened! I managed to lock it in.

bXyVQP1.jpg
Some magician told me my inn wasn't very clean! Then he summoned up a gigantic cockroach before disappearing and leaving us alone with it. We barely escaped to safety!

bXyVQP1.jpg
Please slay the beast before it gets loose and starts eating my best customers.

SUj2akk.jpg
Is that all? I'll deal with it in no time at all.

bXyVQP1.jpg
I hope you're still that brave when you see the thing. There, it's unlocked. You'll have to go in on your own. We'll keep watch out here!

The cockroach has a dangerous poison but is otherwise easily dealt with.

H2mTepP.jpg

e1GwZCa.jpg

RChYHuo.jpg

Anyway, Cano now teaches some new skills, including Lunge. After Lunge comes the very powerful Mortal Blow for which CO 15 is needed.

oMV9lpE.jpg

alMVwPh.jpg

SEyRZwY.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 45: Stoerrebrandt IV

It’s time for another task for the Stoerrebrandts.

zJKvTbE.jpg

tHEDve5.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
As a brand-new member of the House of Stoerrebrandt, it is an honor to help you. What exactly can I do for you?

EgVVU5H.jpg
I have just received troubling news. I am getting messages from the entire region, telling me that the Dark Eyes are increasing their attacks on our workers. It almost looks as if the House of Neisbeck wants a full war with us. We must act immediately.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you suggest, Reginald?

EgVVU5H.jpg
Some of our workers are currently in the port area. Some of them are in the 'Fleet Footed Ferret' near the wharves and some of them are near Wagoner's Home. I would be very grateful if you would go down there and make sure they are alright.

SUj2akk.jpg
Of course. I’ll take care of it.

EgVVU5H.jpg
Excellent! I expected nothing less of you! Let me know when you've taken care of our workers' safety. Ah yes, and don't hold back if you run across any Dark Eyes. I want them to know that they have crossed a line!

It’s not possible to safe the workers at the three places no matter how fast you move.

XOxxEOR.jpg

V3BIngi.jpg

PeVmYF4.jpg

At the final place the party is ambushed by more Dark Eye thugs. Of course the rabble stands no chance.

FXtzDoY.jpg

UVO3TI6.jpg

After all is dead Martin reports back to Reginald Stoerrebrandt.

EsVb6ST.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I was. Those dastardly Dark Eyes will attack Stoerrebrandt workers no more.

EgVVU5H.jpg
That's wonderful! You have proven once again that the House of Stoerrebrandt can truly rely on you. But enough chatter, I expect you want your reward. Here!

SUj2akk.jpg
You needn't have. Thank you! Do you know what's next?

EgVVU5H.jpg
Not yet. Who knows what that Ulwina Neisbeck is planning next? I really need to talk through our next steps with my father. Come back later. We should know more by then.

EgVVU5H.jpg
And thank you again for all you have done for our company! We shall celebrate together when this is over, I promise you!

Martin can now return to the main quest. The duke/count should know about how to get to Murolosh.

Q4CrNAN.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
The holy Oracle says my destination is Murolosh, my Count. Master Rakorium was convinced that you would be able to help me.

o0GYYLA.jpg
Oho, convinced, is he? That old bird is rarely wrong, my boy. But we have very little contact with Murolosh at the moment.

SUj2akk.jpg
That doesn't sound good. What happened?

o0GYYLA.jpg
If only I knew... Our beautiful Dwarf Quarter has been shut off by the 'Rockcrunchers'. Not necessarily unusual in times of crisis with all these murders and trade disputes.

o0GYYLA.jpg
But when our good Gerlin tried to ask the 'Rockcrunchers' for an explanation, he was given an unusually gruff response. But that happens every now and then too, if the 'Rockcruncher' leader is in a bad mood.

o0GYYLA.jpg
Hehe, in those cases, Gerlin usually uses his good relationship with Murolosh and demands written arbitration from the Mountain King Arombolosh. But because we haven't heard from Murolosh for some time, my top diplomat fears that all is not well.

o0GYYLA.jpg
That's why he has already set off to the small town of Tallon. The little valley in which it lies was once used for diplomatic meetings in times of crisis, when normal channels of communication could not be used. So if you want to go to Murolosh, you should try to catch Gerlin in Tallon.

SUj2akk.jpg
Thank you. I will set off for Tallon immediately to meet with Gerlin.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 46: Road to Tallon

On the road to Tallon are no random encounters.

BNaXHZs.jpg

0XiR4H1.jpg

Ax4lPLk.jpg

The first encounter outside Tallon are some swine and a swineherd.

KMaw5Ra.jpg

0GiWoVV.jpg

wpIakeY.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Where do you come from that causes you to look so disgruntled?

rGDDOl1.jpg
Oh, from Tallon. I wanted to sell a few pigs at the annual Apple Festival, but the guard wouldn't let me enter. Well, I sure could have saved myself that long journey.

SUj2akk.jpg
I don't understand that. Why wouldn't he let you enter the city?

rGDDOl1.jpg
I wasn't even told that. You know, the Tallon guard is an honorable one. The Captain of Tallon is highly respected by his men, all his orders are followed without exception or complaints. I would appreciate that on any other day. The Guards do not demand bribes and they do not take your cattle away either. But I really could have used the money. But what does crying over spilled milk change? Nothing... right?

SUj2akk.jpg
Why the hurry? Is there a reason for it?

rGDDOl1.jpg
There sure is. The whole area around Tallon used to be safer than it is now. People are talking about all kinds of evil things that are said to be going on in the Tarnel Woods.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you mean?

rGDDOl1.jpg
Well, they're talking about marauders who ambush solitary travellers, others about a wild beast that comes at night and rips apart humans and animals alike. I have lost three of my stock over the last three nights. Without a trace! I don't care who is to blame. All I need to know is that it is dangerous right now. So I hurry and keep my livestock in the stable. There will be better times again, too.

SUj2akk.jpg
Is it still far to Tallon then?

rGDDOl1.jpg
No, not really. Half a mile more through the woods I would say. A little farther along there is a bend in the road. Just beyond it you can already see the town walls and the Tallon temple.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me what I can expect on the way?

rGDDOl1.jpg
Don't worry, nothing dangerous. If a farm worker with his pigs can survive the trip, so can you. However, a little way up there's a coach that had an accident and a very distraught noblewoman. I asked her if she needed some help, but it seems she didn't need no help from a swineherd. If you ask me, that is by far the most dangerous beast lurking here in the Tarnel Woods.

Further along the way is the noblewoman. Since Martin put some points in Etiquette he can properly address her.

jmnGRHr.jpg

M0ockHB.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
[Etiquette] At your service. How can I help you, M'lady?

E4JL6Fv.jpg
You know how to behave. What a stroke of luck in these disrespectful times. I am the noblewoman Ingiana of the Mountain, and as you may have noticed, I'm in something of a plight, unfortunately.

E4JL6Fv.jpg
My coach had an accident when a wheel broke. The horses bolted. This dolt of a coachman already left hours ago to get help from Tallon, the next town, but he is still not back. He is probably lying asleep somewhere by the roadside or he is having a conversation with a drink in some tavern. Go and find this good-for-nothing for me, so that I can finally continue my journey.

SUj2akk.jpg
I feel honored to render you a service. I will find the coachman for you.

E4JL6Fv.jpg
Then it's settled. Find the coachman and bring me news of him. I will see you again soon, hopefully.

Hy6NOAR.jpg

It turns out the coachman was killed by some goblins.

DqIFA7c.jpg

kSKcoHf.jpg

j3Qab1p.jpg

Up ahead are more goblins.

bVf4D3A.jpg

The town of Tallon is not far away, but there appears to be a broken bridge.

9VijeDq.jpg

Ingania needs to be dragged along to the city.

LfQZRi8.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I found your coachman. Unfortunately, I have to tell you that he was no longer alive. Goblins slew him.

E4JL6Fv.jpg
How terrible! Boron have mercy on his soul. I implore you, please, Martin Schulz, take me to Tallon. I do not dare travel through this dangerous region without accompaniment. I am willing to pay you 20 ducats for an escort to Tallon.

SUj2akk.jpg
I will take you to the town, and I promise on my honor that you will not be harmed on the way.

E4JL6Fv.jpg
Thanks be to the Twelve. Now let us waste no time. We have to go now.

There are some goblin groups that need to be disposed of on the way to the town. They will try to harm Ingania but it’s uncertain whether she can permanently die.

Ayz0yN5.jpg

8dpu6ro.jpg

p5u3aCb.jpg

4UAkbpw.jpg

When Ingania is dead, there should be no way to enter the city.

UUuwgfD.jpg

ILC4wjB.jpg

lkM0RS0.jpg

BbnlmtC.jpg

ADS0rb8.jpg

E4JL6Fv.jpg
We've made it. Thanks to your strong sword-arm, we've arrived safely in the city. Your service has been invaluable. Here, take this sum as a small token of my gratitude.

SUj2akk.jpg
I thank you, noble lady, but the deed itself is my reward. I cannot accept this.

E4JL6Fv.jpg
That is genuine gallantry. Be assured of my utmost respect. Farewell.

The part can now enter Tallon and look for Gerlin.

Z5a5ymp.jpg

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I do vaguely remember that the guy with the pigs wasn't exaggerating about the guards not taking bribes. Or something like that.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 47: Tallon

Tallon is a decently sized town, maybe about 75% of the size of Nadoret from River of Time.

The townspeople are gossiping about a monster of sorts; note that a while back a dragon was released from Blood Mountains.

1AWbbgU.jpg

Aside from a lot of new people to pickpocket, there’s a lot of good stuff to buy here.

jBNTB3K.jpg

f9Qo5wH.jpg

Martin can buy a lot of new spells here; almost all of them require an education of human mage.

The most important spells to buy are Culminatio, Fireball and Summon djinn.

Note that Gladys can also cast Culminatio.

gKNRJmK.jpg

SP66PuJ.jpg

Uvev7eD.jpg

nvdNkMP.jpg

0zPDE7T.jpg

eqAsOKg.jpg

DUUtkCL.jpg

o2mb2NN.jpg

iYO3ZJL.jpg

Next to the fountain (note the peculiar anatomy of a Dark Eye dragon) is a merchant with information on Gerlin.

ZGwqhXS.jpg

0IiyW7V.jpg

SCHqEvo.jpg
How amusing that you should ask me just that question. Gerling was a guest in my house a couple of days ago. A very interesting man and also one who takes an interest in things. He showed a great interest in the history of this trading firm and its founder, my great great great-uncle. He was most likely taken with the numerous stories about him.

SUj2akk.jpg
What do you mean by that?

SCHqEvo.jpg
Oh, the usual. Just how it is when a stranger comes to a town and suddenly gets rich. Some say that he was a black magician, and others that he was a minion of the Nameless One. There was also endless speculation about his death and that of his wife.

SCHqEvo.jpg
But they both merely died of the blue croup. His brother, my great great grandfather, took over the business then. My family has been living in the house of my ancestors for generations, and we have never found any laboratories, temples or hidden rooms there. It's all pure poppycock.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can you tell me something about the history of this place?

SCHqEvo.jpg
It's been quite eventful. The valley has always attracted all sorts of wicked creatures. Must be because of the sacred apple groves here. There was even a dragon here a couple of hundred years ago. Allegedly. But the people always stayed, because the valley is fertile and the best apples in Aventuria grow here.

SUj2akk.jpg
Farewell, merchant.

The local armorer sells a suit of full plate, good for Traldar; full plate is heavy and would normally impede his combat abilities if not for Traldar’s already high stats.

XCHB95s.jpg

PbfxFZb.jpg

The spell merchant sells also a lot of recipes and magic equipment; Martin buys as much as he can.

VzI95lC.jpg

DpKSux0.jpg

At the local tavern is the mayor, Dipchit.

h59COOr.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Actually, I am looking for a diplomat from Ferdok. His name is Gerling.

Q94X9JF.jpg
Diplomat Gerling already arrived here a few days ago. He took a room at the inn and conducted some investigations here. Most recently he was a guest in the house of merchant Oakridge. I don't know exactly what he was doing there, though. A most secretive man, if you follow me. He just left for Prenn's Grove this very morning.

SUj2akk.jpg
People here are talking about a beast, which is said to be roaming in the valley here. What is your opinion on that?

Q94X9JF.jpg
Nonsense! Beast? I have never heard anything more ridiculous during my entire term in office, and I have been Mayor for a very long time. No, a few stupid goblins settled here, and we haven't been able to expel them from here yet because of the preparations for the Apple Festival. You should not listen to the clap-trap of farm workers, Martin Schulz!

SUj2akk.jpg
The Apple Festival? What is that supposed to be?

Q94X9JF.jpg
You don't know about the most important event in the whole region?! You probably just want to test me. But very well: The sacred Apple Festival takes place every year during this season here in our fair Tallon to honor the goddess Peraine. It is she to whom we owe our good life, the picturesque apple groves and, last but not least, our wealth!

bnO6mwC.jpg

At the tavern is also an easily missed wagoner that sells Martin a tooth belonging to the beast; this item will come in useful later.

xGhBwuk.jpg

oAtNiVo.jpg

The grove is just across the river, but the bridge is damaged. To get there, a long detour is necessary.

CJzPTR1.jpg

Yf4uauu.jpg

01EIoRd.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 48: Goblin Slayer

There are some complications trying to leave the city via South gate

ysmRCKy.jpg

VF0e4BM.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I'm in transit on behalf of Count Growin and have urgent business in Prenn's Grove!

bOyHluV.jpg
That may be, but the Town Council has ordered the town gates to be closed. The Tallon environs are no longer safe, bands of goblins are roaming around, and are even venturing up to the town's walls in the meantime.

SUj2akk.jpg
Up to the town's walls? And you aren't doing anything about it?

bOyHluV.jpg
Do you really think that I enjoy seeing the town that I have sworn to defend under siege by a horde of goblins? These monsters are even starting to plunder our grain stores outside of the city gates. But my hands are tied.

bOyHluV.jpg
On the other hand, the Town Council's decision is justified, of course. The group that has made itself at home in these parts is simply too big. I have only this handful of men at my disposal. A sortie would therefore be suicidal. But, now that I look at you ... Maybe there is a way that you can continue your journey ...

SUj2akk.jpg
Let me guess: I am supposed to help you drive the goblins away.

bOyHluV.jpg
Exactly! With your help, we could at least drive off the group just outside the town walls. Well, what do you say? One hand washes the other. If you absolutely want to continue your journey westward, then fight your way through with us!

SUj2akk.jpg
Fine, let’s fight our way through.

bOyHluV.jpg
You heard that. Men! Let's drive this devilspawn from the gates of our beautiful town!

3VzLgUk.jpg

There are two groups of goblins to take care of.

Nq7rhny.jpg

VckfTMQ.jpg

jWtLdi3.jpg

2eGDjQZ.jpg

MgkIVYw.jpg

bOyHluV.jpg
Here, take this bag of ducats as a token of Tallon's appreciation for your deeds. You have earned it fair and square.

SUj2akk.jpg
I gladly accept your recognition. But I don't want your ducats. Divide them amongst the families of your men, instead.

bOyHluV.jpg
You are truly noble-minded, Martin Schulz, I won't forget. But tell me, would you be willing to help Tallon further? I have another task for you.

SUj2akk.jpg
Another task? Tell me.

bOyHluV.jpg
It all started about half a moon ago, when we began to be concerned about the absence of the usual early visitors to the Apple Festival. I sent out two scouts to reconnoiter the pilgrims' trail that leads to Tallon.

bOyHluV.jpg
Shortly after that the incursions in the area around Tallon also began. It started with some thievery, but that soon gave way to the first overt robberies of our goods transports that were being carried out by smaller groups of goblins led by an ogre.

bOyHluV.jpg
After four days, only one of our scouts returned, badly wounded. He reported individual attacks on farms and travelers along the pilgrims' trail. Goblins lay in wait for him and his comrades, and he only just barely escaped with his life.

bOyHluV.jpg
We have to do something about them. To do that, though, we must first find out where the camp of the marauders is located. It has to be somewhere between Tallon and Rattle Farm. Would you scout around there for me?

SUj2akk.jpg
That is a terrible threat. I'll find that beast's encampment, you can count on it.

bOyHluV.jpg
Ha! I knew I could rely on you! Thank you for your help.

SUj2akk.jpg
I’ll return as soon as I have found the encampment.

40tXdcA.jpg

The Tallon captain now becomes a trainer and teaches some good stuff, including Mortal Blow. But it takes some time to get Gladys’s CO to 15.

TnULsrM.jpg

ckQGkkF.jpg

ZoruV0R.jpg

Not far from the battlefield is a chasm where harpies spawn… these winged bitches are annoying to fight as they have wounding and poisoning attacks.

ZibALBJ.jpg

The party can now access some arable land to the east of Tallon where a leprechaun is… but he can’t be interacted with now. He just keeps teleporting away.

KAxwPRd.jpg

VC2mfnN.jpg

There are some woodsmen further on, a furrier knife can be bought here for Gwendala.

n2hHWCx.jpg

pXQgxr6.jpg

The marauders camp is across the undeep ditch but there’s no way to cross it here.

KoZWChG.jpg

The party is forced to take the bridges, past which are more bands of goblin scum.

BImNeXz.jpg

oRkSNxu.jpg

GKA4kXY.jpg

These are some good opportunities to test out the Fireball spell, which really softens them up.

Fczdxhv.jpg

pZnWwbT.jpg

Past the second bridge is a figure known from River of Time – Archon Megalon.

Ef8iyB3.jpg

xZ0k6s7.jpg

rGr6mvv.jpg
Did you know that in some cultures the saying "May you live in interesting times" is used as a curse? It seems to support that intelligent beings value boredom, whereas they fear change.

SUj2akk.jpg
I prefer adventure to boredom.

rGr6mvv.jpg
Then you must love fear. Well, it is indeed a fascinating emotion that arises in many forms. Sometimes it is confused with hatred or anger.

rGr6mvv.jpg
But do not let me keep you. If I'm not mistaken, I think you have an appointment.

UVhEPeu.jpg

Past Megalon is an Elf on the bridge.

vxRxTQX.jpg

4irh4WZ.jpg

m0hGfhS.jpg
Yet there is no hope in fate, I know all too well by now. So it seems to be up to me, Ancoron Falcontalon, to steer fate back to a more just path. And I would have attempted it long ago, if there had been even the slightest possibility of reaching their ogre leader without calling forth his submissive goblin scum.

SUj2akk.jpg
Those are harsh words. Seems you nurture some personal hatred against this ogre and his minions.

m0hGfhS.jpg
That may be. But my feelings are no longer of any importance. More is at stake here. There are things which may not be permitted to remain unavenged, such as that which was perpetrated by that pile of dung down there.

m0hGfhS.jpg
One night I was out hunting, deep in the woods. Just as I saw my prey before my eyes, some dark foreshadowing seized my heart. I let my prey go and hurried back to my kin as fast as I could. The day had already dawned when I reached my village, and what I saw there in the cold morning light tore my world apart. My kin. The houses ransacked and burned to the ground. Whole families, all my friends slain. From that moment onward, my life serves but one aim: to slay these brutes.

SUj2akk.jpg
I am sorry to hear that. I wish your loss could be undone.

m0hGfhS.jpg
Save your pity. It won't restore the old order either. If you are really sorry about what happened to my kin, then help me to serve justice! Follow me, I want to show you something.

Ancoron leads Martin to the entrance to the marauders’ camp.

CEjxr2Z.jpg

2VW2XYQ.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
Very good. The Captain will be interested in hearing that!

m0hGfhS.jpg
Do you mean the Captain of the Town Guard? So the rose-ears finally decided to act then? So go and tell him the news and then come back with his men. I'll wait here and keep observing them.

SUj2akk.jpg
Now wait. I didn't say anything about an attack.

m0hGfhS.jpg
That may be. But you don't look like someone who shies away from danger. Besides, there's probably plenty of loot to be had here. Actually, what do I care? I will have my vengeance, with or without you.

4VaEH7z.jpg

Further on before the next bridge is another broken tree and a carriage that got Skyrimmed.

JJDB5Zj.jpg

m0x4KJx.jpg

It’s possible to move on here but it’s best to deal with the marauders first.

Returning to Tallon, the annoying goblins will have respawned.

AdFSSvh.jpg

w5cPLB7.jpg

SUj2akk.jpg
I found the encampment.

bOyHluV.jpg
That's good news. But it looks as if we can't put a stop to the ogre's doings just yet. Mayor Dipwidge announced it shortly after you left: The Town Council refuses to let even one guard leave the town. "Purely for security reasons", as the Mayor assured me. In the meantime more pilgrims and farmers will suffer a horrible death at the hands of the ogre and his group outside of the town walls. That's madness.

SUj2akk.jpg
Can't you oppose the directives of the Town Council??

bOyHluV.jpg
I'm afraid not, no. My men are completely loyal to me, but they also abide by our laws. If the Town Council doesn't sign off on the action, then they won't pursue it. I don't like saying this: But it looks pretty grim.

SUj2akk.jpg
It might look grim, yes. But I firmly believe that there must be a way. Can anyone or anything change the Council's mind at all?

bOyHluV.jpg
I've already tried to do that. All in vain. If the voice of reason wrapped in the cloak of a subject addresses the high-born gentlemen, it often falls on deaf ears.

SUj2akk.jpg
Then I'll persuade the Council in your place. Unlike you, I'm not bound by responsibilities and the Guards' duties. So I can take more time to change the Council's mind.

bOyHluV.jpg
You are probably right on that score. But it still won't be easy. First you will need to gain the trust of all the Council Members before they give your request serious consideration.

SUj2akk.jpg
If I can muster the necessary patience, I'll succeed, just wait and see. Please tell me again which Tallon citizens are Council Members.

bOyHluV.jpg
Mayor Dipwidge, who - at this time of day - you'll probably find with a pitcher of apple wine at a table in front of the tavern, Oakridge the merchant will be at the market, and you should be able to find the resident Peraine Deont at the temple square. Rondra be with you, Martin Schulz!

This is turning into a more elaborate series of sidequests.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
There stands a reason why fireball is, and always will be, the most staple of all the spells in fantasy.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where did you get that half-naked man once you're outside the city? Is that a summon?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
That's a djinn summon.
Literaly the beginning of the previous update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom