Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Time to get creative? No. That is Bethesda's job...faggots.

Okagron

Prophet
Bethesda had no qualms on completely shitting on lore they didn't even made, not surprised they would break their own lore.

Squid

Arbiter
beholden to something that somebody wrote 20 years ago
I really hate how he tries to dismiss crap by saying things like this. Oh it was 20 years ago, let me just mention that so it sounds ridiculous to try to stay consistent at all.
Why don't we do a Lord of the Rings movie? Wait, you want me to use the material from the books? PFFFT BRO, SOMEONE WROTE THAT SHIT LIKE 60 YEARS AGO, THAT SHIT DUMB.

ADL

Prophet
Bethesda had no qualms on completely shitting on lore they didn't even made, not surprised they would break their own lore.
They do it with their own series all the time. Sure, they have convoluted ways of explaining why Cyrodiil is no longer a jungle and Black Marsh is not inhabitable anymore but they're still retcons. At this point I don't give a fuck. Anything that is not F1/2/Tactics/NV is fan fiction.

Turjan

Arcane
People complaining about lore retcons must have taken a break from Bethesda Fallout. If you have any knowledge of Fallout 4, you know that Bethesda changes things around as they see fit, and not even the lore within a single game is consistent. Anyway...

I like how he bends over backwards to make clear that "he really likes the game"...

Oh, those hardships of being a YouTuber who gets special treatment by a developer :D

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol this was predictable: https://wvtourism.com/release/gov-justice-announces-new-partnership-with-bethesda-softworks/

Gov. Justice Announces New Partnership with Bethesda Softworks
Tourism Office announces plan to promote the highly anticipated Fallout 76, an upcoming West Virginia-based video game

CHARLESTON, WV (Oct. 11, 2018) – Governor Jim Justice and the West Virginia Tourism Office today announced a partnership with award-winning video game publisher Bethesda Softworks® for promotion of its upcoming release of Fallout® 76, an online open world video game set in post-nuclear West Virginia.

The video game, which was announced in June via a trailer set to a 1940s-inspired version of John Denver’s famous “Country Roads,” is the latest game in the iconic Fallout series and will be the largest and most ambitious yet.

“It’s finally time the rest of the world sees what a gem West Virginia is,” said Gov. Justice. “For years, I’ve been saying we have it all: beautiful scenery, the best people you could ask for and more. And now, we get to share a piece of that with people all over the world through the unique lens of this video game.”

The Tourism Office, in partnership with Bethesda, will be creating advertising strategies to both educate players about West Virginia’s unique landscape and culture, as well as offer them an open invitation to visit the state over the coming months. The game promises to be an international sensation for players, and the Tourism Office is capitalizing on the opportunity to reach a new, engaged audience.

“I think the world was caught by surprise when Bethesda released the trailer with an eerily beautiful post-apocalyptic West Virginia set to a slightly more futuristic version of our state’s anthem,” said Tourism Commissioner Chelsea Ruby. “In just a matter of hours, the internet was abuzz with West Virginians excited to see a glimpse of home and gamers excited to learn more about their new, beautiful virtual destination.”

Since the trailer’s release in June, Fallout fans all over the world have been strategizing for the highly anticipated November release of the game. Many have spent countless hours watching the trailer and speculating about which parts of the state will be featured, with dozens of locations and folklore monsters already named.

“Our goal is to welcome each and every one of the game’s players to Almost Heaven,” Ruby said. “Bethesda has been a terrific partner since day one. They’ve really embraced West Virginia and its beauty. We believe this unique partnership has tremendous potential to bring folks to visit the Mountain State.”

More details on the promotional partnership will be announced in the coming weeks. Cross promotion will include advertising and touring opportunities. For more information, visit WVtourism.com/Fallout76.

Fallout 76 launches Nov. 14, 2018 on Xbox One, PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system, and PC. For more information, visit http://www.fallout.com.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I watched some streams briefly and honestly, this is terrible and I'm not talking even from a codexian point of view, even for a popamoler, this thing is awful. Bethesda Fallouts were always shitty shooters but man... the footage I saw was really, really shitty, how people are going to do PvP on a game with a fucking auto aim hack as a game mechanic? The little vestiges of RPG are completely gone, you don't even talk with NPCs anymore, just to fucking robots that are just glorified quest dispensers generating an uncanny feeling of emptiness. The graphics are dreadful for a 2018 AAA game too and to make matters worse, Bethesda usual lazy jankyness + copious amounts of lag... oh boy, this sounds like fun.

The game is even more focused on the autistic OCD junk carrying bullshit to build your little useless home.

They removed raiders as an enemy but because it would be boring not having someone to shoot, they decided to make "scorched", a strange hybrid of ghouls and raiders and guess what, those scorched are just generic shooting targets for you to play a shitty FPS with and they are ugly as sin with a prosper level modelling. I guess they didn't include raiders because this would make players question why there aren't human NPC?

Todd on the press conferences behaved like Bethesda was really being innovative by removing all fucking human NPCs when the reality is probably that NuGamebryo was shitting bricks to withstand NPCs and multiplayer at the same time and hey... they don't need to make facial animations so this makes the game cheaper, why not making an awful thing into a marketing stunt?

There are fights with bigger beasts as well, some huge bat thing but the interesting part is that the bat behaves suspiciously similar with a Skyrim dragon, could it be that Bethesda recycled animations and AI behaviors from Skyrim? I wouldn't be surprised.

Really funny too are those sold out youtubers "The fact we have a relationship with Bethesda and they gave us free shit, this won't affect our judgement... by the way, the game is awesome and all the fucking glaring shit that is so obvious to anyone that sees the footage, we will just forget to mention. Did we told you how we REALLY liked the game?" :lol:

Last edited:

Vulpes

Scholar
I kinda feel bad for Tim Cain. He's watching something he cared about get slowly raped to death. It's like he's a protagonist in his very own NTR

ZeniBot

Cipher
Bethesda bribes a governor. Fucking pathetic. I figured that's how shit was anyway, glad to see they're not hiding it anymore.

“For years, I’ve been saying we have it all: beautiful scenery, the best people you could ask for and more. And now, we get to share a piece of that with people all over the world through the unique lens of this video game.”

By Nuking it and seeing all the nasty mutants in your state. Are you stupid this makes your state look like an absolute shithole which is the opposite of what John Denver was trying to get across, also never mind the fact that the song being in fallout is lore breaking.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have really no idea what they are thinking with this game. It might become interesting when they add private servers and mods, but in the meantime ? What the fuck do you do ? Roam around, kill stuff to get loot, occasionally (rarely, apparently) shoot at people ?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bethesda isn't even lauching their hype machine that much with this game. Is this thing just an experiment for them ? One they are not willing to bet too much on ?

Okagron

Prophet
Really funny too are those sold out youtubers "The fact we have a relationship with Bethesda and they gave us free shit, this won't affect our judgement... by the way, the game is awesome and all the fucking glaring shit that is so obvious to anyone that sees the footage, we will just forget to mention. Did we told you how we REALLY liked the game?" :lol:
Can't wait for in like a year, MrMattyPlays doing a video saying "it's disrepectful to say Fallout 76 is bad" or Manyatruenerd to do a two hours video telling you "Fallout 76 is better than you think".

Shills are the fucking worst.

Big No

Novice
also never mind the fact that the song being in fallout is lore breaking.
It's kind of a Mortons Fork situation for Bethesda. Classic Fallout had elements from not just the 50s, but 60s, 70s and even a few 80s. But Bethesda Fallout is largely a futuristic 50s. So either, you get a 70s song in a futuristic 50s which is lore breaking or at least unlikely, or it's classic Fallout, where the song wouldn't be lore breaking but tons of other shit would break lore.

Turjan

Arcane
Bethesda isn't even lauching their hype machine that much with this game. Is this thing just an experiment for them ? One they are not willing to bet too much on ?
They do this the sneaky way. They were throwing free stuff in the Creation Club at Fallout 4 people non-stop during the last months. They stopped last week when they switched to pushing Fallout 76.

DeepOcean

Arcane
They seem lost with thing. It seems they are on a "wanted the cake and eat it too" position, they didn't want to go 100% multiplayer pvp and wanted to make it similar enough to Fallout 4 to not scare people away so the game is a weird hybrid of a game that doesn't invest enough on the pvp side or the singleplayer style exploration so it is bad on both fronts. So many awful design decisions if they wanted to have a functional pvp.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
There are fights with bigger beasts as well, some huge bat thing but the interesting part is that the bat behaves suspiciously similar with a Skyrim dragon, could it be that Bethesda recycled animations and AI behaviors from Skyrim? I wouldn't be surprised.

You don't even need to ask. They literally used the same animation for that flying piece of shit. This whole Youtube shill/lore issue is not going to fly.

ZeniBot

Cipher
also never mind the fact that the song being in fallout is lore breaking.
It's kind of a Mortons Fork situation for Bethesda. Classic Fallout had elements from not just the 50s, but 60s, 70s and even a few 80s. But Bethesda Fallout is largely a futuristic 50s. So either, you get a 70s song in a futuristic 50s which is lore breaking or at least unlikely, or it's classic Fallout, where the song wouldn't be lore breaking but tons of other shit would break lore.

Thing is the popular culture stuff in Fallout 1 and 2 was only there as in-jokes, they aren't part of the actual lore. The entire point of the intro song is to establish the theme, the feel of the game. John Denver puts me right into the 70s and nothing is following a consistent theme with this game. Fallout 3 was lucky because they licensed the rights to a song Fallout 1 was supposed to have. Its pretty obvious Bethesda has no fucking idea what Fallout is. edit: The other issue is that if they wanted to come up with actual music for fallout from fallouts own 1970s ect, they would have to create something entirely original. This is why sub-50s music is always used, because it can exist in Fallout's universe without change, they'd have to explain lore wise how John Denver still wrote the same song despite the political differences to the states that exist in Fallout's universe from ours because I'm pretty sure it would've had an impact.

Last edited:

Athos

Arcane
We have to admit though that they have no more nice iconic songs from the 50s to choose, unless they want to pay big money for Elvis. The whole premise that Fallout's world was stuck in the 50s until 2077 but with super science was retarded from the start, the setting had to be more nuanced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom