Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was already leery of this game when I found out it was tied into the same universe as Garriott's retirement plan MMO. Now I know I can skip it altogether.

And just think this is the same company who is supposed to be making System Shock 3.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
And just think this is the same company who is supposed to be making System Shock 3.

When this flops, and believe me it will. There will be no System Shock 3 and Warren will be back on the unemployment line as the studio closes.

Zep--

Max Heap

Arcane
I was already leery of this game when I found out it was tied into the same universe as Garriott's retirement plan MMO. Now I know I can skip it altogether.

Come to think about it: Isn't SotA set in a post-apocalyptic Britannia?
Cause I once saw a map of Novia with the shattered continent of Britannia around it.
And some Memora in this game talks about a cataclysm that happened.

Is this the cataclysm from Ultima 9? Or is it the one from the original Ultima 9 plot happening at the end of the series? Is it the same that raised Novia from the sea?
What actually happened to Britannia? I mean this IS the original stygian abyss. That's been mentioned several times.

Also Ishtass from UU1 supposedly survived the cataclysm within the stygian abyss? (according to the memora).
But he was a character in UU which happened around Ultima 7. Yet the cataclysm happens in Ultima 9 (?) or later.
So do Lizardmen just live like 200 years, which I assume was the time between those two games?

Why did people return to the Stygian Abyss in the first place? Apparently some people left after the cataclysm.

Boy I sure wish this game had a dialogue system so you could actually ask these things.

Nyast

Cipher
Let's talk about RPG character stats, to be more positive. That game has incredibly deep RPG elements... err.. wait...

Nope, sorry, there's no character stats, at all. In fact there's no character stats sheet / menu that I could find.

There's a skill tree to "unlock", but most skills are evolutions of a few basic skills. Played BT4 ? That's similar, but worse.

Now it can be a cool adventure game. Unfortunately there are no NPC dialogues. They're just saying a line or two and.. voila, done.

Fortunately, it can be saved by cool missions / jobs. There's just a little problem there: you can only access a single mission at once. That's right, if you're in the middle of a mission and want to switch to another one, well you're out of luck. Either complete the current one, either backtrack to Marcaul ( the hub city ) to accept another one.

Think I'm kidding ? Joke's on you. Wait until you have that game in your hands. BT4 will look like the game of the year compared to this.

Added bonus: loading times between levels are ten times worse than BT4. I didn't think it was possible, but they're making the impossible possible.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Shit. UU was before my time, so I've only been waiting for an Arx successor, but I'm run out of hope. Monomyth is it, I guess.

Nyast

Cipher
Did I mention that the levels do reset every time you go back to Marcaul to get "another mission" ? So there are 5 missions going to Upper Erebus, on my second mission it's already a chore cause I've already visited most of the level but I have to do it all over again.

I'm not sure if that's a design decision or a bug related to saving the game. The fact that I can't decide which is which is telling a lot about how much confidence I have about this game's design.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Did I mention that the levels do reset every time you go back to Marcaul to get "another mission" ? So there are 5 missions going to Upper Erebus, on my second mission it's already a chore cause I've already visited most of the level but I have to do it all over again.

I'm not sure if that's a design decision or a bug related to saving the game. The fact that I can't decide which is which is telling a lot about how much confidence I have about this game's design.

Imagine a Thief game where the first five missions all take place on the same map, but with a different item to steal each time. Without respawning enemies you'd just blitz through them.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm starting to feel physically ill.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm really bummed this is turning out bad. FPP Action RPGs are my bread and butter.

At least this Dark Messiah clone is coming out.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
We shoulda listened to Zep Zepo.

"When the Lizardmen look off, something aint right folks...believe me" - Zep

alex_jones.jpg

Zakhad

Savant
Are there any veteran game developers who haven't been disappointing in their modern output? Can't think of a single unqualified success.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Combat is as basic as it gets. Bait the enemy into attacking while backpedalling, attack, rinse & repeat. You cannot lose while doing this unless you get stuck against geometry, which happens ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
So, how is combat?
In particular melee and apart from the fact that enemy HP is currently unbalanced.

It's hard to call it combat. You have a light and a heavy ( charging, by keeping the mouse button held ) attack. Presumably different weapons have different damage stats but nothing is displayed in the inventory so can't know for sure. Hit feedback is atrocious and AI so bad that it'll frequently stand still in front of you while you attack, or get stuck into a column ( hello pathfinding ) while you're hammering it. When it hits you it does heavy damage, so you die in 2-3 hits if you're not careful. You can try dodging, but only if the enemy is in melee range. For some reason dodging archers fire seems impossible for now. There's only one type of enemy in 3-4 hours so far: undeads.

Basically it plays like a buggy version of Daggerfall.

m_s0

Arcane
Here's the feedback I posted on their forums. Yeah, BT4 ( when it was in ALPHA ) was in a x10 better state than this game is a MONTH AWAY FROM RELEASE.

Allright, my turn after 3 hours of playing.

First of all, I have criticized the game for various design decisions I do not agree with. Teleporters being on the top of my list. Not being a true Ultima Underworld is the same.

I'll put all of that aside and speak purely on technical terms, what state the game is in, a month prior to its release.

It is a fudgeing disaster. There is NO WAY everything will be fixed by the release. No way in hell. This isn't even being at alpha level in terms of polish / robustness.

Let's see:

Yup, this sounds like the game needed a few more years.

Considering it took... 4 years overall to get to this point I'd love an honest, detailed post mortem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom