Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

race popularity

your favourite PC race

• human

• elf

• dwarf

• ugly humanoid (orc, half orc, ogre, stronger and bigger humanoids go in here)

• midget (halfling, gnome, fairy, anything that can run between legs of human oponent)

• furry (furry and scales bucket. Check this if you want to be a dragon )

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cael

Arcane
White human males.
That's as reduntant as saying "short dwarves", "tall giants" or "thieving jews"
Not in this time-line.
YZ4ZpQS.png
So, the stupid bitch can't play a black woman in a PnP game because there is no black women in the handbook? What the fuck? That sounds more like a problem with her table than the handbook.

Listen, you dumb fuck. Stop playing with racists!

Sounds like she just sees a black women in the handbook and she's happy to see somone who is black in the DND book.
Why is everyone so triggered ??
She is just being happy not like she chose to put a black person in there.
No. She is talking about being represented. That is quite a difference to seeing a black woman in a book and being happy about it, which is, by the way, racist in and of itself.

In a RPG, you represent what you want. That is the whole point of a role playing game. To say something in a RPG represents you is fucking retarded. The fact that she cannot play a black woman and have blacks represented in her game shows that her table is racist.

The problem is not the game, which is merely a collection of rules that you follow to create your own story. The problem is either her or her fellow players.

I seriously don't think she means it that way. She just happened to see a picture of a black person in a dnd handbook and is happy that wotc acknowledged her ethnic/skin or whatever the fuck she is. I fully agree with you about the representation thing considering dnd is in a fantasy world and shouldn't have race politic shit in it..
Oh, I disagree. I completely do think she means it that way. Read her post again. She actually admitted she could not see herself in the worlds she loves until that black woman turned up in a book.

deuxhero

Arcane
Wasn't there a case in 5E where an artist's art was rejected because the included people weren't "diverse" enough?

White human males.
Not in this time-line.
YZ4ZpQS.png
So, the stupid bitch can't play a black woman in a PnP game because there is no black women in the handbook? What the fuck? That sounds more like a problem with her table than the handbook.

Sounds like she just sees a black women in the handbook and she's happy to see somone who is black in the DND book.
No. She is talking about being represented. That is quite a difference to seeing a black woman in a book and being happy about it, which is, by the way, racist in and of itself.

In a RPG, you represent what you want. That is the whole point of a role playing game. To say something in a RPG represents you is fucking retarded. The fact that she cannot play a black woman and have blacks represented in her game shows that her table is racist.

The problem is not the game, which is merely a collection of rules that you follow to create your own story. The problem is either her or her fellow players.

I seriously don't think she means it that way. She just happened to see a picture of a black person in a dnd handbook and is happy that wotc acknowledged her ethnic/skin or whatever the fuck she is. I fully agree with you about the representation thing considering dnd is in a fantasy world and shouldn't have race politic shit in it..
Oh, I disagree. I completely do think she means it that way. Read her post again. She actually admitted she could not see herself in the worlds she loves until that black woman turned up in a book.

I am in agreement. It's dumb. It's like when my wife and I took our daughter to the park the other week, and there was a HUGE African oriented party going on. I live in an area that is extremely racially diverse, but still has a very small contingent of blacks, so it was unusual. We looked up the event on our phones, and it was listed as "Wakanda in the park". We weren't sure exactly what that entailed. It was equal parts hilarious and pathetic. This girl claims to have been saddened over the years because the fantasy based on European medieval culture, mythology, and warfare doesn't have much to do with racially non-Europeans. The Japanese and Chinese don't seem to have any problems creating their own medieval fantasies. Not sure why she couldn't make one that "represented" her.

PS: The only race in gaming that matters, is The PC Master Race. My apologies if that one has already been trotted through this thread.

Cael

Arcane
White human males.
Not in this time-line.
YZ4ZpQS.png

I am in agreement. It's dumb. It's like when my wife and I took our daughter to the park the other week, and there was a HUGE African oriented party going on. I live in an area that is extremely racially diverse, but still has a very small contingent of blacks, so it was unusual. We looked up the event on our phones, and it was listed as "Wakanda in the park". We weren't sure exactly what that entailed. It was equal parts hilarious and pathetic. This girl claims to have been saddened over the years because the fantasy based on European medieval culture, mythology, and warfare doesn't have much to do with racially non-Europeans. The Japanese and Chinese don't seem to have any problems creating their own medieval fantasies. Not sure why she couldn't make one that "represented" her.

PS: The only race in gaming that matters, is The PC Master Race. My apologies if that one has already been trotted through this thread.
Wakanda is a Marvel Universe fictional African nation that is clean, green, technologically advanced and basically paradise on Earth. It is the setting of Black Panther the movie.

Make of it what you will. Given how Black Panther was marketed, I already know what the blacks are angling for. The US has a race problem. A very big one. And unless the dumbfuck whites wake up to the fact and soon, they are going to wake up one morning to another civil war. I just pity the poor innocent Asians who get caught in the middle of that shit.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
White human males.
Not in this time-line.
YZ4ZpQS.png

Wakanda is a Marvel Universe fictional African nation that is clean, green, technologically advanced and basically paradise on Earth. It is the setting of Black Panther the movie.

Make of it what you will. Given how Black Panther was marketed, I already know what the blacks are angling for. The US has a race problem. A very big one. And unless the dumbfuck whites wake up to the fact and soon, they are going to wake up one morning to another civil war. I just pity the poor innocent Asians who get caught in the middle of that shit.

America is in much less trouble than Western & Northern Europe in general. I legit believe Sweden won't even be around 50 years from now.

Oh, and humans primarily. Sometimes dwarfs because dwarfs are dope as fuck and are fuckin bros to the end. Also, I like beer.

Neanderthal

Arcane
With regards to the Elf, it is not their "gayness" that irritates me, stick your dick where you want i'm not interested in your sex life has always been my maxim. What irritates me is their supposed superiority, how they are better, wiser, more beautiful and noble than mankind. This invariably attracts the same kind of person, along with the vampire fans, smug elitists who believe that their shit doesn't stink and that they are looking down on their fellow man from a great height. Mankind is varied, we have great minds, conquerers, artists, leaders, architects, heroes, explorers and honest, humble workers and also shit slurping, scrounging, moronic scum of the earth. We are better and worse, to try and remove ourselves by emulating the other is foolish and dangerous, and may well lead to dyed hair.

As for Tolkien, and many of his contemporaries, well we can all see why they wanted to escape into a fantastic world where there are creatures better than humanity. After all they had seen the worst side of our species, and horror we probably can't concieve of, but for a soft modern man utterly unused to true tribulation to flee humanity in such a way...that tells.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It depends on the game. For most games, for example Shadowrun Dragonfall, I prefer Elf, but for NWN for munchkin min-maxing I prefer Halfling.

Elves are innately magical and magic is one of the main rpg features for me. For example, in the Wizardry series or Arcanum, Elves have large advantages using magic. Even in AD&D games, elves are able to multiclass mage/ cleric which is awesome.

Rolling a human is fine, but nowadays if I roll a human it's to roleplay as Rance.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Elves are innately magical and magic is one of the main rpg features for me. For example, in the Wizardry series or Arcanum, Elves have large advantages using magic. Even in AD&D games, elves are able to multiclass mage/ cleric which is awesome.

Circe, Baba Yaga, Merlin, Michael Scot, John Dee etc.

Cael

Arcane
With regards to the Elf, it is not their "gayness" that irritates me, stick your dick where you want i'm not interested in your sex life has always been my maxim. What irritates me is their supposed superiority, how they are better, wiser, more beautiful and noble than mankind. This invariably attracts the same kind of person, along with the vampire fans, smug elitists who believe that their shit doesn't stink and that they are looking down on their fellow man from a great height. Mankind is varied, we have great minds, conquerers, artists, leaders, architects, heroes, explorers and honest, humble workers and also shit slurping, scrounging, moronic scum of the earth. We are better and worse, to try and remove ourselves by emulating the other is foolish and dangerous, and may well lead to dyed hair.

As for Tolkien, and many of his contemporaries, well we can all see why they wanted to escape into a fantastic world where there are creatures better than humanity. After all they had seen the worst side of our species, and horror we probably can't concieve of, but for a soft modern man utterly unused to true tribulation to flee humanity in such a way...that tells.
Most RPGs use humans as the standard because they are the most relatable. They are the average, the yardstick that all other races are measured against. That means that there will be some races which are better and some which are worse. I have no problem with that.

The problem, as usual, are the fucking fanbois. Vampires, elves, drow, what-the-hell-ever, it is always the fanbois that ruin it for everyone else. And the reason is pretty plain for all to see: just say something bad about the object of their fan-ing and watch them all go berserk. The gang-raping muppets are the original SJWs, in temprement and mentality, if not in actual body (although I have a sneaking suspicion that the SJW dicks that permeate game developement these days are fanbois grown up; HBS is certainly one of those studios of fanbois).

Just like elves, drow, vampires and the like, there is nothing wrong with environmentalism and conservation and tolerance and inclusiveness per se. However, the fucking fanbois...! Fuck them all with a flaming, spiked, electrified 1000-inch dildo. Fuck 'em!

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am dissapointed that the poll doesn't feature the random race.
You push the random button a few times if you keep getting a gnome and then stick to what's given, trying to make the best of it.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Haha, furries almost beating manlets 2:1.

Speaking of gnomes, the wonderful tale of JAMHORN GLITTERGOLD:
NeYlUFK.png

But the award for best use of manlets has to go to this one:
BN2kWyL.png

Escape Artist - Epic skill level
The character can pass through spaces smaller than his or her head, or even through a wall of force.

DC Task
80 - Extremely tight space
120 - Pass through wall of force

Extremely Tight Space
This is the DC for getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit; this can be as small as 2 inches square for Medium-size creatures. Halve this limit for each size category less than Medium-size; double it for each size category greater than Medium-size. If the space is long, such as in a chimney, multiple checks may be called for.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I generally just pick whatever has the best stats for whatever class is most interesting to play. But all else being equal, doing the size disparity thing either way is fun. Having a gnome suplex an ogre or being an ogre and summoning an animal 1/10th your size to 'protect' you is always good for a laugh.

When it comes to npcs though, dwarves are definitely to most fun to talk to. The lend themselves well to dry, black humour, being generally cynical and undignified without the lowbrow aspect of the brute races.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm not surpised by the elf hatred here, it's normal for butthurt incels to hate on taller, stronger, faster, better looking and magically gifted charismatic chads, but I would've thought dwarves would rank higher since they signal even short, ugly people can be cool (and also have a nerdy tech oriented side that would appeal to the type of troglodyte that frequents an rpg forum). Instead boringass humans are ahead by a mile.
I can't thing of a single crpg (or pnp) where elves are actually stronger - as in having superior physical strength. In several (like DnD 3.x) they are less tough (-CON), so basically pussies. How can pussies be chads? They are often portrayed (starting from Tolkien) as less vital than humans, lacking the will to survive and to actually achieve anything. In LoTR they're portrayed as fatalists, even on the verge of being defeatists. Granted they used to be different in the far past in Tolkien's universe but the LoTR ones are often the basis for how they were often copied in later works of popular culture. Even in books like Poul Anderson's Broken Sword, where elves are in fact superior chads, they still are also portrayed as weak-willed fatalist (and degenerates as well).
Your stereotypical tolkienesque dwarfs on the other hand are usually portrayed as the real chads. Physically strong and strong willed at the same time. They also keep their women in check, not allowing to mess in things females are not biologically predisposed to do - kept at home to be fucked and raise children (as per Tolkien's lore).

TL;DR: You got it completely backwards when it comes to elves vs dwarfs and chads. :positive:

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Whatever gives the most plusses.

Elves are supposed to come with massive bonuses to magic (mandatory) or archery (meh) - in that case, they are an obvious choice for non-priestly spellcasters.

When a game doesn't give them justice as uberwizards or overpowered double-wielding fighter/mages and sawyers the shit out of them into some kind of sickly humans with insomnia, there is no point to pick them indeed.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not surpised by the elf hatred here, it's normal for butthurt incels to hate on taller, stronger, faster, better looking and magically gifted charismatic chads, but I would've thought dwarves would rank higher since they signal even short, ugly people can be cool (and also have a nerdy tech oriented side that would appeal to the type of troglodyte that frequents an rpg forum). Instead boringass humans are ahead by a mile.
I can't thing of a single crpg (or pnp) where elves are actually stronger - as in having superior physical strength. In several (like DnD 3.x) they are less tough (-CON), so basically pussies. How can pussies be chads? They are often portrayed (starting from Tolkien) as less vital than humans, lacking the will to survive and to actually achieve anything. In LoTR they're portrayed as fatalists, even on the verge of being defeatists. Granted they used to be different in the far past in Tolkien's universe but the LoTR ones are often the basis for how they were often copied in later works of popular culture. Even in books like Poul Anderson's Broken Sword, where elves are in fact superior chads, they still are also portrayed as weak-willed fatalist (and degenerates as well).
Your stereotypical tolkienesque dwarfs on the other hand are usually portrayed as the real chads. Physically strong and strong willed at the same time. They also keep their women in check, not allowing to mess in things females are not biologically predisposed to do - kept at home to be fucked and raise children (as per Tolkien's lore).

TL;DR: You got it completely backwards when it comes to elves vs dwarfs and chads. :positive:

my description of elves is straight out of tolkien it's p silly to say tolkien elves had less vitality when they were literally immortal. they did seem less interested in dealing with shit like sauron or the world in general but you could say the same about dwarves. humans were more willing to change and use themselves as cannon fodder because they're a more animalistic race, like orcs.

crpgs have to balance out the races otherwise everyone would play elves. So they sacrificed a bit of constitution (which is the most natural to sacrifice considering stereotypical elf culture) to emphasize other traits. but crpgs barely implement any racial differences to begin with which is why they're a poor indicator of them.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you want an example of Chad elf stats look at the roguelike SIL- elves are way better than humans to the point other races are basically hard mode. I think the fighter elves are even stronger than dwarves.

laclongquan

Arcane
The US has a race problem. A very big one. And unless the dumbfuck whites wake up to the fact and soon, they are going to wake up one morning to another civil war. I just pity the poor innocent Asians who get caught in the middle of that shit.

Bitch please~ The US blacks have serious issue and crippling inferiority complex is one of them. If they can fix that, at least the possibility of a civil war can be on the table, as that means they are willing to fight *as a race*. But currently they havent fixed that yet, and at worst the US is just frothing with a kind of cold apathy going on.

Please note the stress. I dont mean individual blacks not willing to fight. I mean their WHOLE RACE IN USA. There is problems with their own subcultures. Standing alone I can believe many great things about individual blacks.

It's when they are standing together that they sucks. God, how they sucks!

Serus

Arcane
Patron

my description of elves is straight out of tolkien it's p silly to say tolkien elves had less vitality when they were literally immortal. they did seem less interested in dealing with shit like sauron or the world in general but you could say the same about dwarves. humans were more willing to change and use themselves as cannon fodder because they're a more animalistic race, like orcs.

crpgs have to balance out the races otherwise everyone would play elves. So they sacrificed a bit of constitution (which is the most natural to sacrifice considering stereotypical elf culture) to emphasize other traits. but crpgs barely implement any racial differences to begin with which is why they're a poor indicator of them.
If it's "straight from Tolkien" then quote please. Just remember I'm talking about Lord of the Rings and 3rd era elves because those books are the ones that influenced the pop culture image of elves. It's true that elves used to be full of vigor and vitality in earlier ages of Arda as we learn in Silmarillion and in a few passages in LotR. But they aren't any more during LotR times.
In general the trope of long living beings who lack vigor and passion and are opposed to short living but vital race is quite common in fantasy, not just in Tolkien. Though Tolkien might have influenced it. BTW Elves aren't immortal per se, only Ainur truly are. Elves don't physically age. So no, Tolkien's elves (from LotR) are not "vital" by any stretch of imagination and the fact that the opposite is true, that they are an "old", weary people is actually an important part of the story and their identity as a race.
Last thing, where did you get that "humans are more animalistic like orcs" nonsense? Humans are nothing like orcs in Tolkien and I'm starting to suspect you don't know what you're talking about. Humans are one of the races created by Eru, orcs are not. They're a mockery of his other creation (namely Elves), thet're nothing alike. Tolkien never suggested that humans are, morally speaking, lesser than elves. Less wise, less capable in some ways, barbaric relative to elves when they first appear, and fully mortal but certainly not "more animalistic".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it's "straight from Tolkien" then quote please.

I'm not gonna go figure out what the fuck i did with my lotr books just for this pissing contest (it's not a direct quote tho, just to clear up any confusion).

Just remember I'm talking about Lord of the Rings and 3rd era elves because those books are the ones that influenced the pop culture image of elves. It's true that elves used to be full of vigor and vitality in earlier ages of Arda as we learn in Silmarillion and in a few passages in LotR. But they aren't any more during LotR times.
In general the trope of long living beings who lack vigor and passion and are opposed to short living but vital race is quite common in fantasy, not just in Tolkien. Though Tolkien might have influenced it. BTW Elves aren't immortal per se, only Ainur truly are. Elves don't physically age. So no, Tolkien's elves (from LotR) are not "vital" by any stretch of imagination and the fact that the opposite is true, that they are an "old", weary people is actually an important part of the story and their identity as a race.

We could get into a clintonian debate on what the meaning of vitality is but that's far from how the cultures themselves are displayed in the books, where the elves (and hobbits) seem to be doing some actual living (the dwarves are basically germans and working/living is the same thing for them) while the humans barely drag out their miserable existences.

Last thing, where did you get that "humans are more animalistic like orcs" nonsense? Humans are nothing like orcs in Tolkien and I'm starting to suspect you don't know what you're talking about. Humans are one of the races created by Eru, orcs are not. They're a mockery of his other creation (namely Elves), thet're nothing alike. Tolkien never suggested that humans are, morally speaking, lesser than elves. Less wise, less capable in some ways, barbaric relative to elves when they first appear, and fully mortal but certainly not "more animalistic".

Animals aren't morally lesser than humans to begin with. All the things you listed make them more animalistic than elves.

Orcs are more primitive than humans who are more primitive than elves. So you could aruge the orcs and elves are opposite ends of the spectrum with humans somewhere in the middle

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
humans are always balanced well, kind of a no-brainer pick when you think about it.

Black

Arcane
And with humans it's easy to roleplay carrying the huwhite man's burden in a setting that is most often dragged down by elves, furries and GNOMES.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom