Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: The Bard's Tale IV

Mortmal

Arcane
felipepepe now that you got fargo triggered, taunt him more tweet him "i bet you really dont know whos doing BG3" or something like this.

Ocelot570

Educated

More proof that Fargo has no clue about anything he makes. I bet he was asleep during the design meetings just stuffing his own pockets with the cash from the Kickstarter. His statements are repugnant to common sense. He truly has no integrity and is a stain upon the entire gaming community.

Sacibengala

Prophet
This kind of drama is what makes me keep returning to this magnificent internets. Netflix and Grey's anatomy is not enough for me.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quick note to "cash grab" theorists: y'all know that Brian Fargo is from the Fargo family, right? Wells Fargo? The bank? He already has money beyond your wildest dreams of avarice. You can say a lot of things about him but scamming backers for $ does not hold up.

He really wouldn't care about
CornyLinedBilby-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

Quick note to "cash grab" theorists: y'all know that Brian Fargo is from the Fargo family, right? Wells Fargo? The bank? He already has money beyond your wildest dreams of avarice. You can say a lot of things about him but scamming backers for $ does not hold up.
Leftist making the case that rich people are not greedy. That's enough internet for today.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i thought he is not associated with THE bank though?
I mean, unless someone lied on wikipedia for some reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fargo

A descendant of the family that created the banking giants Wells Fargo and American Express, Fargo was born in Long Beach, California ...

EDIT and unless these guys are lying ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/40719545@N02/sets/72157623177335482/

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
i thought he is not associated with THE bank though?
I mean, unless someone lied on wikipedia for some reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fargo

EDIT and unless these guys are lying ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/40719545@N02/sets/72157623177335482/

You're missing the point. Wells Fargo is 150 year old business, after that much time passes there's gonna be offshoots of the family that have no association with the bank beyond their surname.

Fargo is loaded but he's loaded with Interplay money. But he started the whole business with barely couple grand to his name.

I had a budget of $5,000 for everything. My one ad in Soft Talk [magazine] cost me about 2,500 bucks, so 50 percent of my money went into a single ad. One of the things I did was I would call retailers on a different phone and say, "Hey, I'm trying to find this game called Demon's Forge. Do you guys have a copy?" They said, "No," and I said, "Oh, I just saw it in Soft Talk. It looks good. They said, "We'll look into it."

A few minutes later my other line would ring and the retailer would place an order. That was my guerrilla marketing. I was selling to individual chains of stores. There were two distributors at the time that would help you get into the mom-and-pop places. It was a store-by-store, shelf-by-shelf fight.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I actually agree that you can fish all ingo you need from text about some game, so you don't exactly need to play it to understand what it is.

mondblut

Arcane
Every single game is 90% "mindless filler". That's called "pacing" and it comes with the territory.
That's bad design. The great games that had trash mobs were great games despite of them, not because of them.

And soccer is great game because of a couple of goals, not the 90 minutes of padding filler between them. Yadda yadda yadda...

mondblut

Arcane

Maybe he was disinherited for running Black Isle era Interplay into the ground?

Prime Junta

yeah rich people are well known to be kind and generous and not at all petty about grabbing every penny they can at any opportunity that presents itself

especially those with inherited wealth

Deleted Member 22431

Every single game is 90% "mindless filler". That's called "pacing" and it comes with the territory.
That's bad design. The great games that had trash mobs were great games despite of them, not because of them.

And soccer is great game because of a couple of goals, not the 90 minutes of padding filler between them. Yadda yadda yadda...
Ok, let's stick to your analogy: if we assume that the game doesn't end in a draw, you can have all kinds of mind boring situations between goals: players resorting to repetitive fouls and interrupting the flow of the game because they have no technique, divers trying to cheat the judge with fake fouls and fake injuries, delays because of said cheaters, repetitive corners that go nowhere because there are no tactics involved, bizarre missed attempts on goal, retarded wrong assistances, bad crosses, free kicks in the defensive half that amount to nothing, players wasting time to preserve the result, sneezed balls outside the box, etc. I could go on all day, but the point is that some games seem like 90 mins torture and make goals look like miracles. The problem is that we need to have entertaining content to add genuine pacing. Filler content and trash mobs are not the conscious result of a school of design. They are the result of lazy developers that are not doing their job right and want add some stuff to pretend it's like the rest. Do you know what kind of cRPGs has tons of “filler pacing”? Fucking jRPGs! If they are bad in jRPGs, sure they are also bad in dungeon crawlers, C&C games, race games, Super Mario, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nyast

Cipher
so where did the other 25 hours go lah

I'm 10 hours into the game and I save.

I play another 5 hours, but I forget to save and I quit ( or I encounter a difficult fight and I die, forcing me to reload ).

When I reload my save and immediately save again, the indicated playtime will be 10 hours, not 15.

Basically he's missing all the downtime between saves, or replaying the same part of the game due to reloading a save.

Nyast

Cipher
Just checked my last save before Maiden's Barrow: 32 hours. Steam play time: 53 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom