Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
Gameblog doesn't count. They are the laughingstock of the entire country because of both how terrible and arrogant they are.
My favorite moment is from that article : http://www.gameblog.fr/news/20437-maj-ngp-quelle-autonomie

Gameblog """"journalist"""" notices 1:23 on the screen of the newly unveiled PS Vita , deduces it has "1hour23minutes" of autonomy, gets called out and mocked in the comments, still argues that his doubts are valid.

I wish this was an isolated incident.
But do they get paid for this ? If they are it does count as professional.

I don't want to see a Baldur's Gate 3. It remains my favorite game of all time, but it's over. The saga is completed. Making a continuation wouldn't work, as you would have to invalidate somebody's play-through. I only really see a few ways to come out beyond this story.
  1. You, the newly ascendant Lord of Murder cuts a swath of blood and conquest across the planes and Faerun.
  2. You play as the child, and either challenge the former PC for the throne of blood, or attempt to escape the legacy. So, just a rehash of Saga 1.0
  3. You forfeited godhood, so now you combat senility and struggle with independent hygiene.
There are more possibilities, but all of them are bad. If I were to get more out of BG, I would want a total remake. No SchemeDog bullshit. Totally modern engine, updated rule set, overhauled dialogues to include all manner of skill checks, refined plot, various other improvements, etc. I don't trust anyone with that outside of myself with an infinite budget. Regardless, the game does what we wanted. Let's just move on. No need to sully the memory.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Assuming that Larian is making BG3 or other D&D CRPG, some thoughts.

If this is true, what about the Divinity sequel?
  • While denying the rumor, Larian said they're working on Divinity. I can't imagine that is also a lie, then they're working on BG3 and Divinity at the same time. While two certainly have many differences, Divinity and D&D still can be considered as similar generic fantasy settings. (Or will Larian go full-on steampunk for Divinity?)
Why?
  • WotC - Obviously they want successful CRPGs like D:OS. Larian's co-op model can be great addition to the D&D "liveplay" culture that WotC is pushing. Also they can have more elaborated (also streamlined?) GM mode with selling all the modules as DLCs.
  • Larian - All those things can be good for Larian. With D&D's brand recognition, they may achieve another level of success. Also I imagine working on D&D CRPG would be one of Swen's (and their developers') dreams. They also have Colin McComb, in-house D&D elf expert. But working on Baldur's Gate? I imagine BG3 (or will it even have "3" in title?) by Larian will be quite a different beast in some regards (narrative structure, interactivity, etc.)
What about the combat?
  • If it's turn-based, BG/Infinity fans will riot.
  • If it's RTwP, some of D:OS fans will be disgruntled but I imagine they will not be as intense as BG fans. (Because it's Baldur's Gate, not Divinity, after all and according to Larian's own survey, their audience don't mind real-time combat. In hindsight, the survey is a little bit suspicious, eh?)
When this was started?

I'd guess official relationship with Larian and WotC probably started around this time:

He was at Steam Dev Days in Seattle, where WotC headquarter is at. I don't think this was just for the use of a D&D module in marketing campaign, that probably was a hint of their relationship.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Assuming that Larian is making BG3 or other D&D CRPG, some thoughts.

If this is true, what about the Divinity sequel?
  • While denying the rumor, Larian said they're working on Divinity. I can't imagine that is also a lie, then they're working on BG3 and Divinity at the same time. While two certainly have many differences, Divinity and D&D are still can be considered as similar generic fantasy settings. (Or will Larian go full-on steampunk for Divinity?)
Why?
  • WotC - Obviously they want successful CRPGs like D:OS. Larian's co-op model can be great addition to the D&D "liveplay" culture that WotC is pushing. Also they can have more elaborated (also streamlined?) GM mode with selling all the modules as DLCs.
  • Larian - All those things can be good for Larian. With D&D's brand recognition, they may achieve another level of success. Also I imagine working on D&D CRPG would be one of Swen's (and their developers') dreams. They also have Colin McComb, in-house D&D elf expert. But working on Baldur's Gate? I imagine BG3 (or will it even have "3" in title?) by Larian will be quite a different beast in some regards (narrative structure, interactivity, etc.)
What about the combat?
  • If it's turn-based, BG/Infinity fans will riot.
  • If it's RTwP, some of D:OS fans will be disgruntled but I imagine they will not be as intense as BG fans. (Because it's Baldur's Gate, not Divinity, after all and according to Larian's own survey, their audience don't mind real-time combat. In hindsight, the survey is a little bit suspicious, eh?)
When this was started?

I'd guess relationship with Larian and WotC probably started around this time:

He was at Steam Dev Days in Seattle, where WotC headquarter is at. I don't think this was just for the use of a D&D module in marketing campaign, that probably was a hint of their relationship.

You can even find ont he codex some larian dev telling us there was talk about D&d license but it was too early. That was around dragon commander release. But since then they denied any D&d related work.

agris

Arcane
Patron
LESS T_T Larian has three offices iirc, Belgium, Ireland and Canada - with the stated goal of offices staggering the release of games such that Larian always has a relatively new income stream.

Working on multiple titles isn’t just consistent with this, it’s explicit.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Stumbled across a Larian designer (Kevin VanOrd) who didn't know you had to memorize spells in Kingmaker:

So if they are working on a D&D game, it probably doesn't use Vancian casting.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If they do make BG3 they should explicitly put in language that bans Beamdog or any employee/owner from Beamdog from making any kind of mod, enhanced edition, patch, or other software alterations to the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Given Divinity's success, I'm not as confident as LESS T_T that Larian would have any problem making a turn-based BG3 (screw the IE fans, where were they for Dragonspear, PoE2 and Kingmaker?)

In fact, I might put the probability of Larian making an action-RPG higher than them making a RTwP RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane

Deleted Member 16721

Beamdog has a strong relationship with WotC according to Trent. Their plan from the start was work on the EE's and then eventually do a new 5th edition game with WotC. WotC also worked closely with them on all of the EEs and the changes that were made, so my guess is Beamdog would be doing it. Either them or Owlcat, who proved with Kingmaker that they can make a true pen-and-paper adaptation with no cut corners. Sure it's a bit buggy but I haven't had any gamebreakers playing it and I've spent over 160 hours with it. It's the closest thing to Baldur's Gate we've seen yet.

Elex

Arbiter
Beamdog has a strong relationship with WotC according to Trent. Their plan from the start was work on the EE's and then eventually do a new 5th edition game with WotC. WotC also worked closely with them on all of the EEs and the changes that were made, so my guess is Beamdog would be doing it. Either them or Owlcat, who proved with Kingmaker that they can make a true pen-and-paper adaptation with no cut corners. Sure it's a bit buggy but I haven't had any gamebreakers playing it and I've spent over 160 hours with it. It's the closest thing to Baldur's Gate we've seen yet.
if i remember correctly wotc also helped beamdog when atari blocked BG EE.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
screw the IE fans, where were they for Dragonspear, PoE2 and Kingmaker?
Let's see:
Who'd honestly want to play Beamdog tripe? What the fuck does PoE2 have to do with IE?
By the time we got to Kingmaker though, I think IE fans went extinct or senile.

Fairfax

Arcane
(screw the IE fans, where were they for Dragonspear, PoE2 and Kingmaker?)
Surely you jest.
I find it difficult to believe that Bioware fans have such incredibly high standards that they'd find both Deadfire and Kingmaker beneath them.
That's not the problem (although they clearly didn't like PoE). These games combined don't have nearly the same appeal as Baldur's Gate 3. D:OS2's success also blows these games out of the water, which makes the idea an even bigger deal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A million people were willing to show up for Divinity: Original Sin back when Larian were Eurojank nobodies. You can always make excuses ("no, it's just not the right kind of RTwP!") and you might even be right, but a businessman is going to look at that and draw conclusions.

Deleted Member 16721

Siege of Dragonspear was quality. I played BGEE->SoD->BG2EE and it was a great experience. I just wish SoD was larger, or perhaps had more room for an evil route to take, like joining Caelar's army. It did take me about 40 hours to get through, if not more, so it was fairly large, but it could have added more alternate choice routes for my tastes. I also felt they dipped too much into the bestiary to try and make it stand out more, the encounters were a bit too "epic". But overall they did things with that engine I didn't know were possible, like hundreds of NPCs on screen at once, funny animations and cutscene bits, and overall it was a very good expansion. The writing was quality, too, so I'd have no problem with them doing BG3. Whether or not it's in the original IE engine, I would like that but I doubt it, since it will probably use 5th edition. But Beamdog would implement a true pen-and-paper adaptation that would be closer to the ruleset than say, Sword Coast Legends (even though I like that game, too. It wasn't as bad as people said.)

So I'd be fine with Beamdog or Owlcat, but I hope Owlcat is just working on a sequel and/or a big expansion adding new companions and areas to the current game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom