Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hahaha well obviously you don't need 120 hours to understand that but admittedly the game does not communicate how you can do stuff very well...

Andnjord

Arcane
They should have hotfixed this weeks ago:

Damnit it's D20 rules, how is Vacian system not ingrained in your DNA if you've played Baldur's Gate! :x

Also, how can play a cRPG without looking at what all the rows of buttons do on your UI when you open the game for the first time, argh!!:argh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Hahaha well obviously you don't need 120 hours to understand that but admittedly the game does not communicate how you can do stuff very well...
Back in my day we used to figure out how to play games for ourselves instead of being told how to do every. fucking. thing.
I don't know what day is that, but games used to come with extensive manuals too.
The UI is very very lacking and there is no denying that. I keep looking for information that could be provided within seconds.
That's ofcourse not to say that a guy that needs 120 hours to understand how to memorize spells is not stupid

Elex

Arbiter
Back in my day we used to figure out how to play games for ourselves instead of being told how to do every. fucking. thing.
we used to read manuals.

btw at the same time people praise dark soul and similar games that have obscure and hidden mechanis and lore hidden in item description and npc hints.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
we used to read manuals.

btw at the same time people praise dark soul and similar games that have obscure and hidden mechanis and lore hidden in item description and npc hints.
And thus we reach the critical insight: game journalists don't actually write according to a consistent opinion, but rather what they can get away with. Everyone loves dark souls, so clearly obscure and hidden mechanics is good!

People are disliking kingmaker for being hard and buggy, so clearly the game does not explain itself well enough!

Iiirc dark souls does point out "rest at bonfires to attune spells" though, so maybe journalist just can't look for things if he doesn't know it exists.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Iiirc dark souls does point out "rest at bonfires to attune spells" though, so maybe journalist just can't look for things if he doesn't know it exists.
It's game journalists. Even knowing it exists hardly helps.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
People are disliking kingmaker for being hard and buggy, so clearly the game does not explain itself well enough!

The explanations are pretty shit though, jumping into this without prior 3.5/PF experience seems like a chore.

Particularly for your average game journalist.

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't know what day is that, but games used to come with extensive manuals too.
The UI is very very lacking and there is no denying that. I keep looking for information that could be provided within seconds.
That's ofcourse not to say that a guy that needs 120 hours to understand how to memorize spells is not stupid

we used to read manuals.

You hardly need a manual to figure out that a Cleric needs to prepare spells. All you need is a functioning brain. The spellbook screen has these big empty squares where it says SPELLS MEMORIZED.

Q441a7E.png

The problem is that people have become so fucking lazy that they expect everything handed to them on a plate.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane

we used to read manuals.

You hardly need a manual to figure out that a Cleric needs to prepare spells. All you need is a functioning brain. The spellbook screen has these big empty squares where it says SPELLS MEMORIZED.

Q441a7E.png

The problem is that people have become so fucking lazy that they expect everything handed to them on a plate.

Do you seriously think he even knew that there is a spellbook screen?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyone have experience with how this runs on older computers? Kinda craving a party-RPG as of late.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Anyone have experience with how this runs on older computers? Kinda craving a party-RPG as of late.

I've got a
I7 2800
12gb ram.
S s d
X 2 5870 and cards

And it runs ok, but then I open a menu and the video card fan runs so high I expect the pc to start elevating off the ground. Which has been my experience with this engine in one form or another.

So am thinking about either a better cooling system (tied to the video card) or possibly new video card, but have put that off for some time because of the crtptocurrency inflation.

So my pc is out of action atm and I can't be bothered to edit for spelling because I'm on one of these fucking iPads thingies.

sser

Arcane
Developer

I've got a
I7 2800
12gb ram.
S s d
X 2 5870 and cards

And it runs ok, but then I open a menu and the video card fan runs so high I expect the pc to start elevating off the ground. Which has been my experience with this engine in one form or another.

So am thinking about either a better cooling system (tied to the video card) or possibly new video card, but have put that off for some time because of the crtptocurrency inflation.

So my pc is out of action atm and I can't be bothered to edit for spelling because I'm on one of these fucking iPads thingies.

Ah thanks. I got a 970GTX with a manufacturing issue that prevents its drivers from being updated so newer games sometimes run like shit as one would expect.

And the crypto shit threw me for a loop. Usually cards seemed like the fastest thing to go down in value, then I go and look for a replacement 970 and they're just as much if not more expensive than what I bought the damn thing years ago.

Israfael

Arcane
And it runs ok, but then I open a menu and the video card fan runs so high I expect the pc to start elevating off the ground
Just enable vsync (which gets disabled each time you exit the game and start again :hahano: Also, I sent the bug report consdering graphics settings not getting properly applied after restart, but got no answer (and no fix, apparently)

Israfael

Arcane
And the crypto shit threw me for a loop
It's actually in remission mode right now, so it's a high time to get something (not new RTX cards (which are overpriced and hot), but either 2nd hand 1080ti/1080 or any non-reference vega. You can get 1080ti for as low as 300-400$ depending how hard it was raped in the mining craze era

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
And it runs ok, but then I open a menu and the video card fan runs so high I expect the pc to start elevating off the ground
Just enable vsync (which gets disabled each time you exit the game and start again :hahano: Also, I sent the bug report consdering graphics settings not getting properly applied after restart, but got no answer (and no fix, apparently)
Thanks, I'll try that. Am currently using a third party graphics tool ( name escapes me atm) that applies individual settings to each game, but if that worked, I might have noticed myself not being blown across the room.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not to defend that retard journo that cannot find B key, but the game does have issues explaining its options to the players. It took me 75+ hours to figure out two super useful things:
1. If you hold Ctrl while using left click your character only moves and you cannot select other characters with that mouse click.. I wish I knew this from 1st hour because often it was so irritating and I had to play pixel hunting to move my guys without select other my guys

2. When you choose an AoE spell to cast and click its center of effect you can actually change that center at any point before the spell is cast. The trick is to have the original caster selected and then there is an icon over the place you selected as center. That icon can be clicked and position changed.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
2. When you choose a AoE spell to cast and click its center of effect you can actually change the center at any point before the spell is cast. The trick is to have the original caster selected and the there is an icon over the place you selected as center. That icon can be clicked and position changed.

The devs probably expected the player to be familar with PoE2, which had the exact same mechanic. Another example of people putting too much faith in Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom