Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seeing someone compare this to Gothic 1 and 2 just made me spend some money on this. It better be true!:bounce:
I'll postpone playing it till major issues are dealt with tho.

make sure you copy the art book, comic and soundtrack if you ever want to use any of them in your life since they will take them away from you in two days.. fucking indian giving russian jews

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Seeing someone compare this to Gothic 1 and 2 just made me spend some money on this. It better be true!
It's not. It bears more similarity to Fallout 1 in how it plays out - set pieces you travel to on a world map, random encounters, static world with change reflected on player C&C. It's very old school. I guess the only similarity to Gothic at a glance, would be the real-time tactile combat - which upon playing it, will remind you of Alpha Protocol more than anything. Easily exploitable, unbalanced and quickly becomes a chore to engage with.

Other than that, it's solid Euro-jank - hooks you with character.

Puteo

Learned
Seeing someone compare this to Gothic 1 and 2 just made me spend some money on this. It better be true!
It's not. It bears more similarity to Fallout 1 in how it plays out - set pieces you travel to on a world map, random encounters, static world with change reflected on player C&C. It's very old school. I guess the only similarity to Gothic at a glance, would be the real-time tactile combat.

That's like saying "a lemon has nothing in common with a grapefruit except for the fact that it is sour; it's more like an orange."

Although I suppose if you only valued inane superficial differences like a medieval prison camp setting, voice acting, and no load times similar to how Todd Howard only valued the bloody mess perk and post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout making him think Fallout 3 was an acceptable sequel; then your statement would make sense.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
That's like saying...

It bears more similarity - I said. As a sum of it's parts.

Most CRPGs aim to build upon a successful framework - Ultima 7 was Gothic's and Fallout is Insomnia's. Different rulesets.

Although I suppose if you only valued inane superficial differences like a medieval prison camp setting, voice acting, and no load times similar to how Todd Howard only valued the bloody mess perk and post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout making him think Fallout 3 was an acceptable sequel; then your statement would make sense.

Suppose also, you told yourself that drawing these parallels meant you weren't pretending to have played the aforementioned :lol:

Last edited:

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I wish someone close to my GTX850m i54200H shared their experience how game is playing on such ancient machines.

The game seemed to run fine in a mix of medium/high graphic options on my 840M, but I only tried the first room of the prologue (waiting for more patches to really start playing), and I have a slightly better CPU.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So uhm, what's the version code now on startup? There's been two patches released so far on steam but I didn't see any additional downloads, version on startup is still 1.0 on my screen.

Jinn

Arcane
So uhm, what's the version code now on startup? There's been two patches released so far on steam but I didn't see any additional downloads, version on startup is still 1.0 on my screen.

I actually started a thread about this on the steam forums. This is, unfortunately, a big part of the problem. They either forgot, refused to, or didn't know how to change that version number on the title screen.

These guys need more practice. Should have been an early access release.

Puteo

Learned
That's like saying...

It bears more similarity - I said. As a sum of it's parts.

Huh, that's funny. Because you actually said:

kcelbre said:
It's not.

Gee-whiz friendo, english may only be my first language but that sure looks like you categorically denied any comparison of Insomnia to Gothic.

Let me ask you this, what game is more comparable to Gothic than Insomnia that is:

A. Not made by Piranha Bytes

B. Made after 2002

C. Not shit

Suppose also, you told yourself that drawing these parallels meant you weren't pretending to have played the aforementioned :lol:

Amazing, someone attempting to use the sort of flamebait you'd expect to see on a forum in 2001. Are you 12 or just an old-timer dusting off his trolling skills? Either way, I expect better bait from a codexian troll, try again

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gee-whiz friendo, english may only be my first language but that sure looks like you categorically denied any comparison of Insomnia to Gothic.

Let me ask you this, what game is more comparable to Gothic than Insomnia that is:

B. Made after 2002

C. Not shit

Mars: War Logs it's the closest call. I think.

But ultimately the game is shit because it's unfinished.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

B. Made after 2002

C. Not shit
Spiders Studio games or Divinity 2.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not. It bears more similarity to Fallout 1 in how it plays out - set pieces you travel to on a world map, random encounters, static world with change reflected on player C&C. It's very old school. I guess the only similarity to Gothic at a glance, would be the real-time tactile combat - which upon playing it, will remind you of Alpha Protocol more than anything. Easily exploitable, unbalanced and quickly becomes a chore to engage with.

Other than that, it's solid Euro-jank - hooks you with character.

The world map and the random encounters are definitely Fallout inspired however everything else you've mentioned can be found in both Fallout and Gothic.

Atmosphere: Gothic is medieval, Fallout is post-apocalyptic and Insomnia is dystopian. Completely different beasts.

Skills system: there are perks but Insomnia's ruleset doesn't channel Fallout's ruleset. Theoretically they are similar but completely different in practice.

Also you are dismissing the most important similarity between Insomnia and Gothic: 3rd person point of view. Now I'm not saying that 3rd person is better than isometric or the opposite however different points of view result in different experiences or degrees of immersion. I hate the world immersion but isometric is more tactical and it requires an intellectual approach for immersion while 3rd person is less tactical but definitely more immersive. Considering that most of the time is spent exploring or in combat, I would say that Insomnia's and Gothic's gameplays are very similar.

For me personally to say that the game provides a Fallout-like experience means that the quest design is as intricate as the one from Fallout. I think Arcanum and F3:NV are the only ones which got pretty close but Insomnia's quest design is not as intricate or complex. Except combat quests, most quests are simply fetch quests with a twist: you have to remember where you encountered a specific item, go there and retrieve it. Also the quests are gradually pushing the player to explore the world more and more. This resembles Gothic were your progress was limited by mobs while in Fallout you could go wherever you wanted from the get go.

That's why I prefer to describe the overall experience as Gothic-like instead of Fallout-like.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't give a shit about any of that stuff. What I care about is that this game has been out for about 3 weeks now and not only has nothing been fixed, but things have actually gotten worse. I'm all about supporting small studios and being patient with them, but goddamn this is starting to get ridiculous.

I WANT TO PLAY THE FUCKING GAME I BOUGHT PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't give a shit about any of that stuff. What I care about is that this game has been out for about 3 weeks now and not only has nothing been fixed, but things have actually gotten worse. I'm all about supporting small studios and being patient with them, but goddamn this is starting to get ridiculous.

I WANT TO PLAY THE FUCKING GAME I BOUGHT PLEASE AND THANK YOU
never trust russians

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom