Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Perkel

Arcane
I just learned about major incline.

NO JUMPDRIVES AT ALL.

This time when you want to attacks someone you actually need to strategize on how to deal with defenses instead of just jumping at core system without without fighting in different sectors.
This also means that patrol routes, protection for tradeships etc will now have sense.
Also this means you can no longer just expand without remorse because you won't be able to jump your whole fleet on moment notice into any of your systems under attack so you will have to spread out defense over sectors and you will need to watch out for attacks.

Oh God! They still have the fucking boring walking around stations thing.

If they make boarding ships more interesting, in that you can actually board and fight your way through the ship then I will forgive them.

You can skip that aspect completely apperently. In x-rebirth they patched this so you can do everything without leaving your ship.

Also hiring NPCs and manually place them in positions around the ships as crew can be neat, a little bit of FTL opportunity with a mod.
Also a mod possibility to turn it to GTA. Get on a station, hack and steal a ship and make a gateway to a pirate station to sell or unregister to make it your own.

X-rebirth had this future but it was wonky as it was pain in ass. Ego promise this time it will work correctly like it supposed to.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah, not being broken at release basically means game is shallow as puddle like Elite.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Holy shit. I didn't expect it THIS year. I thought this would be like next year December or something.
Fucking awesome. God help me because i will spend shitload of time playing X4 in about 8 weeks.

God damn i would pre-order this shit regardless of how many bugs i will experience on launch day just to show them support for following what actually fanbase wants instead of Stillbirth but alas they don't take preorders on X4 on steam right now.

For those who don't know:

X3 was buggy game at release but it was and still is fucking amazing one of kind space sim/empirebuilder game.
X-Rebirth was basically their attempt at consolization of genre that backfired. Not only game was design wise shitty like you couldn't fly any other ship that your starting one but it also run like shit and eventually was not released on consoles at the time. Since release they basically rescinded shitload of issues like lack of ability to skip completely walking on those shitty stations for muh immersiun but core issues couldn't be patched like shitty UI, shitty controls, borked class systems of ships with no small or medium ships at all etc.

X4 is basically mea culpa and complete opposite of Stillbirth. This will complete sandbox with slight mission pack for campaign which means it will be even more sandbox than X3 was and there are shitload of features people asked for years for X3 in it.

Guy, game is a slight reskin of Rebirth with shit cockpits, very few of which have been shown. In those videos there's fucktons of asset reuse and the menus are still abysmal. What are you hyped about, exactly?
Rebirth from the start was an engine prototype for this game. What do you think it was?
It was limited by design. Even then it was released as a broken mess. If they tried to build this game from the start there is no way they would have finished in any way. Even with this you can bet it will be released as a broken mess.
I legitimately believe Rebirth was a smart move by the developers. Just not a playable one. Imagine this game having the shitty experimental mechanics as the final game. If it was going to be discarded and revised then a more limited slice makes sense.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really need this game to be good, especially since I probably won't be able to stop myself from buying it when it comes out. I really hope we haven't traded in core gameplay for IMMERSUNS.

Perkel

Arcane
Rebirth from the start was an engine prototype for this game. What do you think it was?
It was limited by design. Even then it was released as a broken mess. If they tried to build this game from the start there is no way they would have finished in any way. Even with this you can bet it will be released as a broken mess.
I legitimately believe Rebirth was a smart move by the developers. Just not a playable one. Imagine this game having the shitty experimental mechanics as the final game. If it was going to be discarded and revised then a more limited slice makes sense.

Not really.
Over the years people found out from code,
leaks and interviews that game was supposed to be console game first.

Their engine while looks great just didn't cut it and no wonder as now with GTX980 it runs 30-40fps in some sectors on ultra.
And if you set it on low this doesn't really change that much fps, it only improves fps in non busy sectors while in busy sectors still
gpu is hammered for some reasons (probably connected to dx9)

Either way for X4 they reworked X-rebirth engine to use Vulcan and there will be no any DX backend.
While it might provide some more bugs at start it should give them a lot of boost down the road.

Especially with how they update their games over the years (x-rebirth is now v4.3 and last update was like few months ago). X3 which is decade old got also recently some bugfixes.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
S size Nova on an M ship with a dock
DoxxEgkWwAY8Cnp.png:large

Perkel

Arcane
Also worth noting.

X-Rebirth engine GPU wise it is very ok. With GTX980 you can set up 4k and at 60fps you will get around 70-80% use
It is cpu part of engine that is wonky due to DX9 renderer. With i5-3570K @4,5Ghz you often hit 100%.

This is why Vulcan is a good thing and should help them as when used correctly lower A LOT use of CPU resources.
Though it might not apply for X4 because game wants to simulate economy which probably is not easy on CPU.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Perkel, wtf are you eating the hype after all the shit they've done?

If X4 turns out great then fine, you can rebuild trust, but don't jump the gun dude.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel, wtf are you eating the hype after all the shit they've done?
If X4 turns out great then fine, you can rebuild trust, but don't jump the gun dude.

To late mate. From what i have seen they can't fail like last time because last fail was from design not technical side.

Xrebirth main designs problems were:

- fly only one ship
- no equipment system for ships aside from yours
- you need to scan stations all the time for trade
- shitty UI
- no small/medium ships, only capital ships
- small universe
- you had non stop to visit station and talk to people
- no missions from npcs
- retarded design of highways
- no seta/jumpdrive in your ship

With 4.3 rebirth and 2 expansions:

- fly only one ship
- no equipment system for ships aside from yours
- you need to scan stations all the time for trade
- shitty UI
- no small/medium ships, only capital ships
- small universe
- you had non stop visit station and talk to people
- no missions from npcs
- retarded design of highways
- no seta/jumpdrive in your ship

With patches and expansions X-Rebirth is pretty good game just not amazing like X games before.

Now add to Rebirth:
- fly all ships
- proper economy
- proper fleet management from map
- equipment for ships

And you get proper X game. Not just proper one but best X game.
Because old games will have nothing on it and some places will be far worse like ui and management of fleet, economy.

This is why i don't fear for X4.

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Right now X-Rebirth with all patches+expansions and New Frontiers mod (proper economy) + stations trade update mod
is pretty great game. Just with caveat that you only fly one ship. It is not amazing like X3TC/AP but still pretty good romp.

I first put 100 hours into rebirth from 1.0 to 2.6 dropped game and after announcement of X4 i went back to it and tested newest 4.3 version with some mods and i put 30-40 hours together and i can't say it is bad game.

Last edited:
I've no idea what the fuss about X is. When I played X3 it was clunky, buggy, had a shit interface and ran like shite. Actually, It had most of the same problems Eve does. But Eve is saved by the intrigue created by other players that disguise that it's actually a boring game to play. If you take that away. You're left with just the game. The boring game. That's X.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've no idea what the fuss about X is. When I played X3 it was clunky, buggy, had a shit interface and ran like shite. Actually, It had most of the same problems Eve does. But Eve is saved by the intrigue created by other players that disguise that it's actually a boring game to play. If you take that away. You're left with just the game. The boring game. That's X.

ifV5WYA.gif

View attachment 9887
No, it is you who are a Windows Vista loading icon.

Perkel

Arcane
Well i would expect bridges coming from official devs if modders were able to do it (and it works well !)

I hate most of the alien redesigns, especially the Teladi.

Well they redesigned them a bit same reason why borons are not in the game and probably they won't be for a long time.
If borons will make comeback i fully expect they will not have ships filled with water.
If they had SC budget though i would expect them to make justice to those races.

Will this be better than Star Citizen?

Even if SC will achieve all of its goals it is set to achieve and will be released with all the patches imho it will be still worse game.
Because X design is just superior. What X lacks is just bigger team and more money.

SC will end up as Elite. After initial fun of exploring universe you will quickly realize that wars etc. will not be your stuff because to have that you will need to own corpo which automatically means there will be like few people out of all who will be able to achieve it.
Meanwhile in X you will become alpha and omega, destroyer of world.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm trying really hard not to be excited for this game, but I need a good new economic space sim in my life. It's all gonna end in tears.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom