Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Larian doing BG3? After D:OS2? Wouldn't that weaken their own IP (especially if all fantasy is the same for you, because a game has dwarves and elves) and kind of useless, after D:OS2 sold so well? Say what you want about Swen, but he isn't stupid.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I dunno, XCOM was noteworthy for being a successful AAA turn-based game, and you can see its influence in nearly every turn-based game released afterward, but it didn't result in any enthusiasm for the allegedly-better sequel.
XCOM 2 was at almost 2 million copies on Steamspy before they had to change how they process their data, against like 3.5 millions of the first game which was released 4 years before and had been discounted many times.
Hardly a case of a low performing sequel.
There's an elaboration a few posts up.

Larian doing BG3? After D:OS2? Wouldn't that weaken their own IP (especially if all fantasy is the same for you, because a game has dwarves and elves) and kind of useless, after D:OS2 sold so well? Say what you want about Swen, but he isn't stupid.
The big game that will dwarf them all will very likely be a Witcher 3-esque Divinity 3.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The big game that will dwarf them all will very likely be a Witcher 3-esque Divinity 3.

Probably or another D:OS3 with enough room for at least a hundred players. Like playing an MMO, but in fun and more dragonriding.

As for potential developers: My money on BG3 is still on Obsidian. If you give them the money, they will do everything for you.

That's actually the only thing that would make sense: making the protagonist of BG1/2 the villain of BG3, maybe with an option to save him in the end.
And protagonist of BG3 is Aerie's kid.

That's just it though. What if you didn't "romance" Aerie? Either not at all, or successfully? While the quest structure and NPC interactions highly favored to including her in your party, she was very easily disregarded. Playing as the offspring would be an insult to a majority of the player base, and is immediately reminiscent of Dragon Age 2 (UGH). Even if you go this route, it's just a replay of the dilemma from the original saga. You're the spawn of murder, now what? That's just the later half of SoA and the entirely of ToB all over again. No thanks. We've done that.

If someone were absolutely inclined to make another BG game, it would need to be BG in name only. You'd be an ordinary person dealing with the wake of the Bhaal spawn saga. It would merely provide a kind of context for reintroduction of the Faerun setting prior to all of the Spell Plague bullshit....which we will all just forget happened and pretend never did or ever will again.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
That's just it though. What if you didn't "romance" Aerie?
I gibbed that ogre for trying to fool me with a chick voice. Weak trick.

What about my playthrough?

Anyway, isn't there a story set in stone with what the protagonist did and didn't? You can't make shit up now.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's actually the only thing that would make sense: making the protagonist of BG1/2 the villain of BG3, maybe with an option to save him in the end.
And protagonist of BG3 is Aerie's kid.

That's just it though. What if you didn't "romance" Aerie? Either not at all, or successfully? While the quest structure and NPC interactions highly favored to including her in your party, she was very easily disregarded. Playing as the offspring would be an insult to a majority of the player base, and is immediately reminiscent of Dragon Age 2 (UGH). Even if you go this route, it's just a replay of the dilemma from the original saga. You're the spawn of murder, now what? That's just the later half of SoA and the entirely of ToB all over again. No thanks. We've done that.

If someone were absolutely inclined to make another BG game, it would need to be BG in name only. You'd be an ordinary person dealing with the wake of the Bhaal spawn saga. It would merely provide a kind of context for reintroduction of the Faerun setting prior to all of the Spell Plague bullshit....which we will all just forget happened and pretend never did or ever will again.

Maybe BG3's protagonist should be Sarevok's child instead. He is closely tied to the main plot of the previous games, but was only a playable NPC in ToB. He also would create similar ambivalence to the main character's personality as there was in BG1 after the realization that you were a child of the god of murder. Sarevok's child would also be someone of interest to many of the NPCs in both BG1 & BG2.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
BG3 doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with Bhaal anymore. I'm sure there are plenty of cringy stories to tell in Baldur's Gate in a post-Bhaal world.

A guild of thieves, Xantam's Guild, moved into Baldur's Gate early in 1374 DR. Three adventurers, Vahn, Kromlech, and Adrianna arrived and defeated the thieves guild. Joined by the Harpers, they discovered the thieves guild to be only part of a larger plan involving Eldrith the Betrayer. After defeating Eldrith, they discovered the plan to have become more complex with the evil alchemist Mordoc SeLanmere getting involved. However, Mordoc too was defeated.

Wow, a king of vampires that's c... oh wait.

In the year 1384 DR, the Grand Duke Valarken, along with General Ikhal, attempted to usurp the leadership of Baldur's Gate. The failure of his attack led to the dissolution of the Baldurian police and the Council of Four. In its place, the Flaming Fists and the Baldurian Parliament came to rule. In the following year, the Realms suffered the Spellplague, a situation that would double Baldur's Gate's area and triple its population.

Let's not talk about this.

Baldur's Gate was able to adapt to the change and experienced relative peace until the year 1437 DR when the elfsong returned to the Elfsong Tavern with an undead crisis, as well as worsening relations with Elturgard and the stealing of a Tome of Cyric. All of these crises were considered minor when General Ikhal returned with a lycanthrope army far greater than the army of Baldur's Gate. The Flaming Fists resolved the conflict. Following the death of the previous Flaming Fist Marshal and Duke at the hands of Valarken, Abdel Adrian replaced him in both positions.

Sounds exciting.

How about a magical mystical portal that opens up in Baldur's Gate and lets you travel somewhere actually interesting.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
There is already a based story for BG3
Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound.
Hope whoever makes teh game will not go that way and take a look here, because I like the ideas here alot more.

I think there exist two realistic options:
1. Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound
2. Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 3

If 1. is true then I believe, Inxile or Beamdog will develope it.
Else Larian or Obsidian.

But reading that Beamdog and Larian denying it, the only option is Obsidain or Inxile.
In this case 50% chance for each (1. and 2.).
:littlemissfun:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Playing as the offspring would be an insult to a majority of the player base, and is immediately reminiscent of Dragon Age 2 (UGH).
Or BG2, which had its own set canon, ignoring any particular decisions you may have made regarding who you took in your party, who you talked to, or who died.

There is already a based story for BG3
Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound.
That was in-name-only. It didn't even have anything to do with the city.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Playing as the offspring would be an insult to a majority of the player base, and is immediately reminiscent of Dragon Age 2 (UGH)
Wut? You're someone's offspring in DA2 in the sense that your parents are cast members. Hawke isn't the kid of anyone you meet in Dragon Age Origins.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
That was in-name-only. It didn't even have anything to do with the city.
True, but given all the information about BG3, this was I think the best route to simplify the possibilities in which the "announced" game could take direction,
or else you could speculate from heavan to hell (even though it is fun to do that).

Ninjerk

Arcane
The failure of his attack led to the dissolution of the Baldurian police and the Council of Four. In its place, the Flaming Fists and the Baldurian Parliament came to rule.

BALDURIAN POLICE. :nocountryforshitposters:

Now that's the plot of BG3 right there. You just graduated from the Baldurian Police Academy.
Make it a human-drow cop duo story about a clash of cultures.

Delterius

Arcane
The failure of his attack led to the dissolution of the Baldurian police and the Council of Four. In its place, the Flaming Fists and the Baldurian Parliament came to rule.

BALDURIAN POLICE. :nocountryforshitposters:

Now that's the plot of BG3 right there. You just graduated from the Baldurian Police Academy.
Make it a human-drow cop duo story about a clash of cultures.
make the drow viconia trying to turn a new leaf

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So is this the next level of frauds - after fake spiritual successors to good games, fake spiritual successors of the companies that made them?

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I stumbled on this by concidence. It is relatively old, but could it mean something?!
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-lead-designer-james-ohlen-has-left-bioware-after-22-years/

Quote:
"The most fun I've ever had at BioWare was as the lead designer on Baldur's Gate 1+2 and NWN. I've been a D&D fanatic since I was 10 years old and I want to be a part of it again,"

Maybe he is coworking secretly on BG3, if so I don`t believe it would be Dark Alliance.

:dgaider:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom