Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
So what was the last we've heard from the devs regarding the next patch?
They said it will be out on friday if "everything goes well". Evidently everything didn't go well. :shittydog:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So what was the last we've heard from the devs regarding the next patch?
They said it will be out on friday if "everything goes well". Evidently everything didn't go well. :shittydog:
That was before the whole "that one area destroys your game". After that they did a patch for that only and promised to have another one that will fix all the saves of those that already went through that area.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'd like to make a formal appology to the lead programmer Mr. Brennecke of Obsidian for my past words, this game is on a whole other level of launch-fucked beyond any Obsidian release. Also, i know someone already mentioned this, but Owlcat can suck it for making resurrect scrolls 6k gold when i can spend about half as much to just make a new character. It's not that this game is too "hard", it's just all about driving the player nuts via sucking our precious time slogging back and forth through it's mind numbingly slow navigation system and constant rest requirements.... Great game tho :D
No you really can't past the very early game. Cost of a new mercenary will exceed 6k already at level 4 afaik.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
After finishing chapter 1 I can say that the game made a very good impression so far. This is the DnD game I had to wait for for a decade.

I think I didn't run into any bugs so far, safe for one - maybe - which is: when I freed the last companion (Harrim) in the kobold mines area he did appear at the camp afterwards but I could never add him to the party nor speak to him. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
After finishing chapter 1 I can ay that the game made a very good impression so far. This is the DnD game I had to wait for for a decade.

I think I didn't run into any bugs so far, safe for one - maybe - which is: when I freed the last companion (Harrim) in the kobold mines area he did appear at the camp afterwards but I could never add him to the party nor speak to him. Is this normal?

You'll get him once you hit Ch2. This is also when you'll start meeting a few bugs. :lol:

He should be available in chapter 2, those you liberate from kobolds will take the rest of chapter 1 to recover. There was a way to get him before that though, by heading after Tartuccio right away.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
After finishing chapter 1 I can ay that the game made a very good impression so far. This is the DnD game I had to wait for for a decade.

You'll get him once you hit Ch2. This is also when you'll start meeting a few bugs. :lol:
Really, ch2 is already bugged? Maybe I should replay ch1 again with a bunch of other builds to wait for more patches.

Andnjord

Arcane

Really, ch2 is already bugged? Maybe I should replay ch1 again with a bunch of other builds to wait for more patches.
Nah, Chapter 2 is fine. I'm wrapping up Chapter 4 at the moment and I haven't encountered any serious bugs. The Great Wall of Bugs is meant to come at Chapter 5 apparently.

Reports from the Tomb:
Come to papa you beautiful Keen Duelling Sword +3 :love:

Also, is there any elegant way to kill Iron and Golden Golems? Beyond just bashing your way through their DR while hoping you have enough Mirror-Images to hold against their +40 modifier attacks? They seem to be immune toall kinds of magic :(

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

when I freed the last companion (Harrim) in the kobold mines area he did appear at the camp afterwards but I could never add him to the party nor speak to him. Is this normal?
Not normal. You can talk to Linzi after you free her. But apparently you'll get him regardless in ch2, so moot point, I guess.

as far as bugs: I haven't encountered anything game breaking even up to ch4, which is when I restarted to try another build.

Cael

Arcane

Nah, Chapter 2 is fine. I'm wrapping up Chapter 4 at the moment and I haven't encountered any serious bugs. The Great Wall of Bugs is meant to come at Chapter 5 apparently.

Reports from the Tomb:
Come to papa you beautiful Keen Duelling Sword +3 :love:

Also, is there any elegant way to kill Iron and Golden Golems? Beyond just bashing your way through their DR while hoping you have enough Mirror-Images to hold against their +40 modifier attacks? They seem to be immune toall kinds of magic :(
Most golems are immune to all magic except a specific types. Iron Golems, for example, is healed by fire and slowed by lightning. Other than that, use spells that don't allow SR on them or indirect fire (hence why Grease was so effective against iron golems as you target the floor, not the golem). However, I don't know if this is implemented in the game.

Your only other alternative is to use adamantine weapons, which should by-pass their DR.

It could be worse. Originally, golems were outright immune to any weapons below a certain +. Iron golems needed +3 or higher weapons. You don't have those? You're hosed.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also, is there any elegant way to kill Iron and Golden Golems?
I was 2h fighter with that sweet +5 +2d6 additional damage sword so everything dies around me. Just keep non-stop healing flowing.
I'd like to make a formal appology to the lead programmer Mr. Brennecke of Obsidian for my past words, this game is on a whole other level of launch-fucked beyond any Obsidian release. Also, i know someone already mentioned this, but Owlcat can suck it for making resurrect scrolls 6k gold when i can spend about half as much to just make a new character. It's not that this game is too "hard", it's just all about driving the player nuts via sucking our precious time slogging back and forth through it's mind numbingly slow navigation system and constant rest requirements.... Great game tho :D
No you really can't past the very early game. Cost of a new mercenary will exceed 6k already at level 4 afaik.
It's 50.000 on level 10 and 60.500 on level 11.

Andnjord

Arcane
Most golems are immune to all magic except a specific types. Iron Golems, for example, is healed by fire and slowed by lightning. Other than that, use spells that don't allow SR on them or indirect fire (hence why Grease was so effective against iron golems as you target the floor, not the golem). However, I don't know if this is implemented in the game.

Your only other alternative is to use adamantine weapons, which should by-pass their DR.

Aaah, so they're not totally immune to magic, ok. Guess I'll try some more on the next ones I meet. Those ones couldn't quite get through Concealment+Spammed Mirror Image+50 AC of my tank, but it wasn't exactly elegant :smug:

I was 2h fighter with that sweet +5 +2d6 additional damage sword so everything dies around me. Just keep non-stop healing flowing.

I have to say, Outflank is OP when my two frontliners have a keen dueling sword (17-20 crit range) and a keen estoc (16-20 crit range) dishing out free attacks of opportunity for my Enlarged, +5 greatsword wielding lvl 3 Two-handed fighter lvl 1 vivisectionist lvl 7 paladin backliner :mixedemotions:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, i know someone already mentioned this, but Owlcat can suck it for making resurrect scrolls 6k gold when i can spend about half as much to just make a new character.
This makes sense for multiple reasons.

1) Verisimilitude-wise, it should cost more to bring back someone from the dead than it would to simply hire a replacement
2) It should cost more to bring back someone you've become attached to (granted this makes less sense if the one who dies is a mercenary you can replicate exactly).

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Also, i know someone already mentioned this, but Owlcat can suck it for making resurrect scrolls 6k gold when i can spend about half as much to just make a new character.

1) Verisimilitude-wise, it should cost more to bring back someone from the dead than it would to simply hire a replacement
2) It should cost more to bring back someone you've become attached to (granted this makes less sense if the one who dies is a mercenary you can replicate exactly).
Except it doesn't work like that in game as already mentioned. If I understand it correctly the cost of raising dead remains constant while new mercenaries' costs are rising with every level which means rising dead becomes a lot cheaper very quickly.
If you think about it for a moment - "commercially" available bringing back of the dead to life doesn't make much sense in high fantasy universes. It would change all dynamics of how danger, risk, bravery and death itself is perceived (at least for the wealthy people who can afford it) and in consequences would transform the whole culture in massive ways. I wonder, are there even fantasy books that attempted to address this?

Andnjord

Arcane
So, about that +5 sword....

For one thing, the 1d6 of self damage can be negated with Stoneskin.

Second, the 2d6 of damage to the enemy is a separate damage roll, it's not rolled with the normal damage roll. This means, that when sneak attacking you roll twice for the Sneak attack damage: once for the normal hit, once for the extra 2d6 of damage.....SO, in for my aforementionned paladin this means that he rolls 2d6(damage bonus of the sword)+1d6(sneak attack on top of the damage bonus)+3d6(enlarged greatsword damage)+1d6(sneak attack on top of the normal damage roll)+strenght modifier+5 enhancement.
:yeah:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The cost to hire a new adventurer goes way up as you level.

If I understand it correctly the cost of raising dead remains constant while new mercenaries' costs are rising with every level which means rising dead becomes a lot cheaper very quickly.
This is because mercs auto level to your current level.

So you are level 20? Then what is the cost to hire one of the best adventurers in the world?
It would change all dynamics of how danger, risk, bravery and death itself is perceived (at least for the wealthy people who can afford it) and in consequences would transform the whole culture in massive ways. I wonder, are there even fantasy books that attempted to address this?
Overlord (books) address this by level draining on resurrect and disintegrating anyone whose level is too low. Also, the Temple guilds basically unionized healing and resurrection, so it can't be done for free and it would take so many decades of study, luck etc to even get to a high enough level to cast resurrection magic that it's very rare. (6th tier magic is considered the highest a human can master and even then, you may have to artificially extend your life just to do it.)

But 6000k gold is an insane amount in a fantasy setting and most commoners couldn't afford it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadenuat

Arcane
No Grease, no Charm, not even HOLD PORTAL

How could they forget HOLD PORTAL

And some variation on Obscuring Mist just to put something on enemy archers would be nice; earliest you get is Stinking Cloud which does create Concealment

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Has anyone seen any great heavy flails or earth breakers?

I have a fire earth breaker axe. Can't rememebr where I got it though.

Items are a bit anonymous... I just loot everything and then I check from time to time the stash.

Cael

Arcane

It could be worse. Originally, golems were outright immune to any weapons below a certain +. Iron golems needed +3 or higher weapons. You don't have those? You're hosed.

Also, is there grease in the game? I don't think so. A severe oversight.
Yes, it is a major oversight. Grease is the most basic of crowd control spells. Web makes an acceptable substitute in a pinch, but few things beat Grease.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Grease can even be a decent buff against getting grappled. I was very disappointed when I saw it wasn't included in the game.

Israfael

Arcane
It could be for balance reasons - Web is already too OP (I'm not sure how I'd do baron and wererats without it), and grease can be spammed fairly early and has no real downsides. And Conjuration is already the most useful and overpowered school of magic, so it was not so unwarranted as it can be thought. Of course, considering supreme coding skills of the owlcats (can't fix settings bug for 3 weeks since release), it might be just as well that they could not implement it (although how it'd be technically different from web or glitterdust, I'm not sure)

Mortmal

Arcane
Is more bugged this game or TOEE?
I forgot this game was a thing.

How do you like it? I'm not reading 300 pages and last few only talk about bugs.

Some oldfag tell me if I should try it.
Best thing since BG2, even better on every aspects except mage duels, but also untested pile of steaming shit half the game is unplayable, wait for 2019.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom