Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The great Baldur's Gate/Fallout-like nomination thread

Glop_dweller

Prophet
ROLEPLAYING
  1. You must be able to create your own character or group of characters. This means attributes, skills, feats, pretty much anything, regardless of whether you are assigned a given name or not. What's important is that you are given a degree of freedom when creating
Why was this included, and why would it matter at all? This has nothing to do with roleplaying. If you have a defined character, then you have a role. The above would only apply if the player demanded a say in what role they were expected to play.

Even Fallout has pre-defined characters; as does Planescape.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Moving the goalposts :shittydog:
Not moving anything. I'm saying that if a poll called "Fallout/Baldur's Gate-like games" includes Wizardry 8 then the requirements for inclusion have been stretched so wide that the name of the poll is inaccurate and misleading. Call it "best CRPGs" instead.
So a defining feature of Fallout/Baldur's Gate-like games is that the characters can move as far away from each other during battle as they want? If your party in Fallout was forced to stay within thirty hexes of each other (for example because of hardcoded companion AI), it would no longer be Fallout?
That's Sigourn's criterion. His poll, his rules. I'm more bothered by the first person perspective, to be honest. You're welcome to post that picture of the minimap again if you like, which apparently makes the game top-down to you. That's clearly not what Sigourn is looking for, however. Again, if you want Wiz 8 in on a technicality that's fine by me. It's his prerogative to include whatever he likes.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
You're welcome to post that picture of the minimap again if you like, which apparently makes the game top-down to you. That's clearly not what Sigourn is looking for, however. Again, if you want Wiz 8 in on a technicality that's fine by me.

The criterion is "It has to happen in an overhead perspective, allowing a clear view of the battleground." That fits Wizardry 8. If the requirement was "the game must be top-down", I'd ask for clarification on whether the game would be allowed to present other perspectives concurrently with the top-down perspective.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
299224-wizardry-8-windows-screenshot-the-crystal-unicorns-are-beautiful.jpg

What perspective do you see?
"Overhead perspective," says the contrarian Codexer. That thing in the bottom left corner is a goddamn minimap. You can't control anything using the minimap. Clicking it pulls up the map, same as every minimap ever. Does every game with a minimap have an overhead perspective? Does the combat of, say, the Stalker games happen in an overhead perspective? C'mon, this is the definition of a technicality.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
You can position your party during combat using the top-down interface in the bottom right of the screenshot you posted; your party members will pick their targets and attack them automatically. Long-range movement is controlled through hotkeys, using the overview in the bottom left for orientation.

You cannot select specific targets using that interface, but that shouldn't be a prerequisite; plenty of BG/Fallout-likes require you to move your mouse out of the top-down viewscreen to perform certain combat actions. In Wizardry 8's case, you will only need to move your mouse out of the top-down window to select targets, which will only rarely be necessary when playing on one of the lower difficulty levels.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why was this included, and why would it matter at all?

I thought "why not?".

Pre-defined in your case means "established story", while I'm talking pre-defined as in "pre-defined stats".

Moving the goalposts :shittydog:

Necessary in this case, because while not a "defining feature", it is definitely how combat works in those games.

laclongquan

Arcane
Prelude to Darkness.

This one fit to a T.
You can position your party during combat using the top-down interface in the bottom right of the screenshot you posted; your party members will pick their targets and attack them automatically. Long-range movement is controlled through hotkeys, using the overview in the bottom left for orientation.
I see what you did there and I am not amused. Wizardry 8 fit the proposed criteria like a square peg on a hole.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Be my guest, make a poll about games you like. But I maintain my opinion that you're making a post-facto rationalization to stick those 2 titles together and as far as any possible methodology goes, it doesn't make much sense.

Truth is those two titles and many more play similarly, and that's as much of a reason as I need to make a poll about more of those games. Especially because the last Codex poll, as it turns out, had its top five occuppied by games of this kind. Which to me was a good enough of a reason to ask people to nominate more of these kind of games into a huge poll.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Be my guest, make a poll about games you like. But I maintain my opinion that you're making a post-facto rationalization to stick those 2 titles together and as far as any possible methodology goes, it doesn't make much sense.

Truth is those two titles and many more play similarly, and that's as much of a reason as I need to make a poll about more of those games. Especially because the last Codex poll, as it turns out, had its top five occuppied by games of this kind. Which to me was a good enough of a reason to ask people to nominate more of these kind of games into a huge poll.
Yes, computer role playing games play somewhat similar to other computer role playing games. Duh. And the whole point is that there is no "this kind" other than "two random CRPGs from the past I happen to like". That's not a basis for claiming that there is a "kind".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yes, computer role playing games play somewhat similar to other computer role playing games.

Gothic doesn't play anything like Baldur's Gate, and last time I checked it's both a computer game and a roleplaying game.

And the whole point is that there is no "this kind" other than "two random CRPGs from the past I happen to like".

Except for, you know, the dozens of games already nominated that play the same. Obviously Icewind Dale isn't 1:1 with Fallout, but all the elements are there, mixed in different quantities.

I could have added another requirement, non-linear gameplay, and Icewind Dale would have been disqualified. But that to me isn't exactly a requirement.

deama

Prophet
Neverwinter nights 2 + storm of zehir + mask of the betrayer?

Tale of Wuxia?

Tyranny

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Pre-defined in your case means "established story", while I'm talking pre-defined as in "pre-defined stats".
No, no.. I did mean pre-defined stats; that they are defined sets the boundaries of the role; same as if the player had defined them themselves.

Mutable starting characters are always a welcome feature in roleplaying games, but they are not a requirement for it to BE a rolelplaying game.

To the topic: Obviously Temple of Elemental Evil and Obsidian's recent titles are Fallout/BG-like... but there are very few RPGs that can match the best work of Bioware & Black Isle—they cannot even best themselves anymore. Pool of Radiance 2 is sort of like them, but not nearly as polished or as in depth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom