Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Hyperion

Arcane
This will also be my first DQ. What is the proper difficulty for this since I heard normal is baby mode?
Harder Monsters
No Fleeing
Weaker Monsters Reward Less XP

jungl

Augur
lol you won't have to bother toggling no fleeing on if you doing harder monsters. 20% boost in monster agility will mean your not getting away.

Fred

Learned
No fleeing is harsh with harder monsters :D Sometime terrible things happen (like you enter a new region, new monsters, you try one and discover he does half your HP with a normal attack, and there are 5 of them). And it's like 4 tries to escape >< I'd say harder monsters is hard enough, it's not like you'll farm on lvl 1 monsters anyway, weak monster's XP gain is negligible. (which means in fact you can activate it without real difference)

So I'm in my second playthrough in draconian, no farming (in theory). It went well until the desert, but for the desert boss I had to "farm" (which was like 7 battles) to go from level 12 to 14. The boss still killed me like 5 times until I tried to pre-pep, and with Care Prayer in round 1 I one tried him. Also Serena gains dedazzle at lvl15 (she joined 2 level higher than hero for me, not sure if it's hard coded or if it's always lvl+2).
In the next town I wiped once on the boss (he freakign autocrit on his Zam spell for 75 damage and the 2 girls have 68 and 72 HP) but it went well the second time after I bought mass strong medecines for everyone, one girl died but I got him with the hero+Syl flame sword pep power to finish him while I had no ressource left \o/

I record everything, my youtube got banned for playing Rance and Eushully games (while removing the H parts, "severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content", wtf) but when I'll create another account (it's linked to google account so it's really annoying) I'll upload it, like a (somewhat) low level challenge.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Erik + 2 falcon blade+3 + divide + doubly strong (or whatever that ability that makes left and right hand weapon equal power) + oomphle + sap = >2000 damage /2 turns
:abyssgazer:

Sòren

Arcane
Harder Monsters
No Fleeing
Weaker Monsters Reward Less XP

i would recommend harder monsters to allmost anyone, and be careful, you can only do that when starting the game.
no fleeing is pretty irrelevant, unless you are retarded. it is easy to avoid combat.
weaker monsters reward less is really just for those who like to rely on luck and perfectly optimised characters, especially during the first 10 to 20 hours in the game. i played that mode until the griffin bosses and then it just got too bothersome, since you hardly have any tactical options, very few characters, few abilities and very few mobs you can use to level up. i don't think it adds much to your experience except stealing your time. but you can always deactivate it during your playthrough.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I'm not reading this thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I'd like to give my thoughts.

I really like everything but the god awful , ridiculous, stupid fucking story and gay ass characters.

Why cant we ever have a JRPG without having to play through a story so bad it makes a 10 year olds anime fan fiction look like 'wheel of time' in comparison.

Oh- Its stupidly easy too (at least on the default settings) but I really love the art style, the towns, the world and the combat (more or less)

-overall I'm enjoying the 'game' parts and then eye rolling my way through the story parts.

Edit- Man fuck you guys, rating my post in such a rude manner.

Cant a nigga have a few drinks and let his hair down, get a little sentimental and open up without god damned cyberbullies attacking him? making him feel bad?

Fuckers. I thought we was friends.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
any tips for
jasper unbound
?

is there any spells that reduce is AOE dark elements damage? the spear attack and the dark breath attack are particularly deadly. i guess insulatle could work, but he has skills to mess with my buffs. maybe i should just forge those gloves with reduce dark damage?

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game got a patch!

Hey everyone,

We hope you’ve been enjoying your time in Erdrea since DRAGON QUEST XI launched a few weeks ago!

Today we’ve released a free, downloadable update for DRAGON QUEST XI, and here are a list of improvements we’ve made to the game…

1. We’ve identified a bug which can sometimes cause the game to crash when the player is 300m away from their horse on the field, this has been fixed.
  2. Players are now able to send log data to the DRAGON QUEST XI development team in cases where the game crashes.
  3. Players are able to choose between three (Low, Medium, High) pre-set graphic settings before launching the game (see below for details).
  4. People’s names (such as “Robert”) have been removed from the list of prohibited words when selecting the main character’s name at the beginning of the game.
  5. Multiple text bugs have been fixed.
  6. It’s now possible to move the command selection cursor using the left stick, and by extension WASD on keyboards, with very few exceptions in certain screens.
  7. It’s now possible to select which key exits the game (by default this is set to Esc) and it will also be possible to bind the Esc key to a different function.
  8. More frame rate options have been added; 90 fps, 120 fps, 144 fps as well as the option to leave the frame rate unlocked.
Finally, we’ve seen a number of questions about the in-game language setting in DRAGON QUEST XI. It’s possible to change the in-game language by changing the language setting of Steam itself.

Thanks for reading, and we hope you continue to enjoy playing DRAGON QUEST XI,

The DRAGON QUEST XI team

Full details on pre-set graphics settings:

Low
Antialiasing Quality: None
Post-Processing Quality: None
Shadow Quality: None
Screen Percentage: 65%
Display Mode: Windowed
Resolution: 1280*720

Medium
Antialiasing Quality: 3
Post-Processing Quality: 2
Shadow Quality: 2
Screen Percentage: 83%
Display Mode: Full-Screen
Resolution: 1920*1080

High
Antialiasing Quality: 6
Post-Processing Quality: 3
Shadow Quality: 3
Screen Percentage: 100%
Display Mode: Full-Screen
Resolution: 1920*1080

Hyperion

Arcane
Finally completed Part 2. 110 hours. Party was level 56 - 57, except Serena, who was 52. Entered the final area at 51, but ended up killing a few Metal monsters with Thunder Thrusts.

Difficulty of boss battles would probably be: Jasper Unbound > Mordegon Form 1 > Mordegon Form 2. Only reason I placed Jasper before Mordegon 1 is because EVERY basic hit was a Desperate Attack for 340 damage. Without fail. Ended up with 4 K.O.'s because of that shit. Otherwise, he was easy. Was especially funny seeing him Double Blunted, and casting Dark Magic on the Luminary with a Devil Tail +3, and Sovereign Seal +3.

I was honestly a little disappointed with Mordragon + Lord of Shadows fight. Felt like they just tacked on a second boss fight to make him seem more epic than he otherwise would have been, because the fight was pretty easy, and a bit of a time waster. The cold wave dispelling both Pep and buffs is infuriating.

Lineup was:
Hendrik - Buffs, backup single target Heals, and damage / armor debuff when possible

Hero: Pure deeps

Jade: Deeps, Sage Stone + Sage Staff wielder

Serena: Non-stop heals and buffs. Gonna miss having her as is when Veronica is miracuously brought back, I'm sure.

Part 3 here we go :love:

Jinn

Arcane
What weapon route did you guys end up going with for Sylvando? I thought his whip abilities would be cool, but they're so unreliable and honestly quite shit. Should I go straight up swords with him instead? I want him to be the awesome and useful character he is clearly meant to be, but whips suck ass.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I found him having swords useful for farming with metal/dragon slash. But 90% of the time he won't be attacking with weapon anyway.

Hyperion

Arcane
I went whips, solely because the ability that removes debuffs looked extremely useful. Only problem is I never had him in my party after getting 5 members. Rab was enough healing, and the Sage Stone is gotten not too long after, which pretty much eliminates the usefulness of Hustle Dance.

Fred

Learned
What weapon route did you guys end up going with for Sylvando? I thought his whip abilities would be cool, but they're so unreliable and honestly quite shit. Should I go straight up swords with him instead? I want him to be the awesome and useful character he is clearly meant to be, but whips suck ass.
He won't ever do any significant amount of damage with any weapon. So basically, whips, especially in stronger monsters, so he can set up one turn persecuter hit for Erik and in general debilitate ennemies. Perhaps go back to knive/sword + shield for bosses (for the added defense).

Also weeks after the discussion : you can register a camp just by touching it and saying "no" to resting.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finally completed Part 2. 110 hours. Party was level 56 - 57, except Serena, who was 52. Entered the final area at 51, but ended up killing a few Metal monsters with Thunder Thrusts.

Difficulty of boss battles would probably be: Jasper Unbound > Mordegon Form 1 > Mordegon Form 2. Only reason I placed Jasper before Mordegon 1 is because EVERY basic hit was a Desperate Attack for 340 damage. Without fail. Ended up with 4 K.O.'s because of that shit. Otherwise, he was easy. Was especially funny seeing him Double Blunted, and casting Dark Magic on the Luminary with a Devil Tail +3, and Sovereign Seal +3.

I was honestly a little disappointed with Mordragon + Lord of Shadows fight. Felt like they just tacked on a second boss fight to make him seem more epic than he otherwise would have been, because the fight was pretty easy, and a bit of a time waster. The cold wave dispelling both Pep and buffs is infuriating.

Lineup was:
Hendrik - Buffs, backup single target Heals, and damage / armor debuff when possible

Serena: Non-stop heals and buffs. Gonna miss having her as is when Veronica is miracuously brought back, I'm sure.

how did you beat
jasper?

he did me like a little bitch, waste no time and use his powerful AOE attack the first time easily 150+ damage across the party, desperate attack the second, then summon minion the third. i dont even have time to buff my party he wiped at least 1 guy during first turn
hero and erik use liquid metal armor, both with double handed swords
hendrik use general armor and a gooreatsword
serena use saint dress and staff
rab use king's robe
jade using princess armor, these are some of the best equipment on this point, jasper still hit 150+ damage/turn and he move 3 times per turn. how the fuck am i supposed to defeat it?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Lineup was:

how did you beat
jasper?

he did me like a little bitch, waste no time and use his powerful AOE attack the first time easily 150+ damage across the party, desperate attack the second, then summon minion the third. i dont even have time to buff my party he wiped at least 1 guy during first turn
rab use king's robe
jade using princess armor, these are some of the best equipment on this point, jasper still hit 150+ damage/turn and he move 3 times per turn. how the fuck am i supposed to defeat it?

Dazzle is your friend. Well, that and gaining a level or three.

Hyperion

Arcane

Lineup was:

how did you beat
jasper?

rab use king's robe
Hendrik has Bad Axe and Saintess Shield (Headless Horseman drop in The level), General's Coat, Devil's Tail and Generals Jackboots for 50% dark reduction. He's on Kabuff duty, occasional Moreheal, and backup DPS on the summoned Balhib with a Parallax. His block chance is probably about 20% after Shield Passives. He blocked the fucking world in the final battle.

Hero had Liquid Metal Gooreat Sword, Liquid metal Armor, Sovereign's Seal and Devil's Tail for 70% dark reduction. Literally took 20 damage per hit. Hero did nothing but Sword Dance spam

Jade had Liquid Metal Jacket for evasion and ele damage reduction, Belle's Bow, and Venus Tear (or Marquess Mittens cant remember). Used Poker for weaponry. Multifeet, or Sage Stone spam every turn.

Serena Saintess stuff, Meteorite Bracer, and Guru Gloves. Red Dragon Wand, and Brain Drainer shield. Occasional Acceleratle, Blunt (double casted made me lol so hard at his 11 damage hits) Sap is better than Oomphle because he Disrupts your Pep and Buffs. If you can get both, expect a 1,200 damage Sword Dance from hero, no crits. Multiheal when Sage Stone wasn't enough - her mending puts the Heal at like 220 per character, 440 if it Echoes. Sometimes a Magic Ward, or a Sage Breath if a free turn so she can take some stress off her MP level.

Edit: In classic Dragon Quest / Warrior fashion, highest Defence armor is not the best unless dealing with pure physical damage. 4 points of defence roughly equates to 1 point of damage, so sacrificing even 20 armor (which sounds like a lot) for that sweet, sweet 25% reduced Dark or Elemental Damage is far more effective.

Last edited:

Fred

Learned
In my first playthrough I didn't try much saying "NO" to stuff, but they actually put some thought in their BUT THOU MUST situations :D Like Jade who kick you in the face, stopping her kick just before your jaw and asking you to repeat. Or the wind blowing as you answer so no one can hear you saying NO.

Fred

Learned
Beaten the sea boss at level 22 (20 for Erik who again was the only one who died and didn't got any xp). Hero Erik Syl Serena, with the canon + prepared care prayer.
I was quite lucky as 3 of my first 4 sleeper hits connected. Spoilers for the Michelle - Kai story :
I lied to Michelle to see what happens, and this is horrible, basically you tell her that Kai is very busy but don't worry, wait 50 more years and he'll come no problem (he's dead for 50 years so she waited all that already). Jade shakes her head but then tells you you made the right choice in a new voiced scene. But then Michelle doesn't go to Kai and you can't access his house (there's only a minor item in it but still, it feels very unresolved that way, you don't get to see the painting and all that scene), basically nothing more happens except those new scenes. But you really feel horrible :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom