Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Warlock - retro inspired FPS, but expanded with character progression and upgrades

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

A timed exclusive release on GOG in October 18th: https://af.gog.com/game/project_warlock?as=1649904300

B7Vla5z.png

Guys. The wait is almost over.

https://af.gog.com/game/project_warlock?as=1649904300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVzuhnS5rk

I realise that we’ve been keeping quiet for these past few months but we were working hard on getting the game up to the level we always aspired to. And hoping that the end result will be as impactful for you guys as those classical fpp shooters were for me when my dad introduced me to the genre.

We decided to break the silence with a barrage of information and assets: a new Project Warlock artwork, a new trailer and a date announcement – hopefully all of these will make the next 7 days until the game’s release more bearable for you.

One thing to stress here is – we decided to Partner with GOG.com to deliver the first brand new title that is a GOG.com exclusive. What this means is that you will not be able to buy this game anywhere else apart from GOG.com for the time being. The period of exclusivity is something I am not able to discuss yet, but will update this information as soon as it’s available.

The reason for the exclusivity is twofold. First – GOG.com originated as a supplier of old school games. Games whose influences Project Warlock wears proudly on it’s sleeve. And we just know that with our game we’re in good company there. DRM free company I should probably add.

Secondly – we’re in the middle of what’s being referred to as indiepocalipse. The largest independent games sales drop in recent years across the board. The software torrent from game developers – indie and big named ones alike – is unstoppable and makes it very difficult for new titles with limited resources to stand out. Along wth Project Warlock’s publisher we decided that a GOG timed exclusive will be directed at fans of this experience that are GOG.com customers, and can use the leverage from GOG.com’s pr & marketing muscle to make Project Warlock heard.

We’re launching Project Warlock next Thursday. My hands are shaking as I type this but the wait is almost over. I hope the end result is something you guys will enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
Hmm,

Wonder if Cyberpunk will be a timed exclusive. I guess we'll find out when they eventually roll Thronebreaker onto other storefronts.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm allowing myself to have high expectations of this. I'm ready to be disappointed. The codex has jaded me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why this looks worse than Doom 1? Is there a law that I don't know that force devs to choose retarded art styles?

Yes, it is called the law of money.

Wouldn't it be great fun to play yet another game with "pretty" graphics and four weapons and six enemy types?

No?

If you have essentially one man making the game, he has made some smart choices. He has visually distinct style that allows him to create assets with low cost so he can focus on having more variety in the game.

And actually making the game fun to play, hopefully.

soulburner

Cipher
Well, I hope for a few things here:

a) playable demo
b) no 'arena kind of gameplay with swarms of enemies and a door allowing to go further opening only at the moment everything is dead' type of gameplay. Give me roaming enemies, which walk around a path and which can be surprised with a shotgun blast in the back... or avoided.
c) performance. The art style suggests it could use low resources, but we all know things like Unity can kill a moderately powerful PC. I hope this can run on my toaster laptop (Thinkpad X230)

Additionally, I hope the sequel ( ;) ) can have more complex maps, not just 90 degrees walls - I know it's a design choice right now, but it's too simplistic for my taste, IMO. Add more doomness/quakeness to the design.

lightbane

Arcane
The guy looks like the part at least, instead of being an asshole with a punchable face.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Like Chasm - The Rift it's vertically limited. Would go for highest difficulty but... I don't mind dying over and over but starting without your new fancy toys and abilities? Dunno.

rohand

Cipher
Meh, another one claiming to be retro and sticking to Zero Tolerance style level design instead of Blood, Doom or Duke inspired.

Hopefully Ion Maiden will scratch that itch.

DraQ

Arcane
It looks like someone demaking a Doom engine game using Catacomb Abyss one, then ran the result through a source port but with original assets.

tl;dr:
My eyes, they bleed!

Edit:
Ok, it looks kind of serviceable in motion (largely to lighting), but why go with textures and sprites this rudimentary if none but the most primitive 90's games (pre Doom, basically) used any like that?

Like Chasm - The Rift it's vertically limited. Would go for highest difficulty but... I don't mind dying over and over but starting without your new fancy toys and abilities? Dunno.
At least Chasm looked fucking sweet and allowed dismembering monsters (lack of z-axis was its biggest flaw).

This here?

Hipstards, hipstards never change.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Also, can it really be called character progression if what's happening is that stuff you used to be able to do "for free" previously, now you have to sink points into to "unlock"?

This also applies to all "modern" RPGs with needless skill trees.

In previous game Fighter could use all weapons except for unique design restrictions, in later game he can barely swing his sword unless you pump tons of points into sword category, and he still won't be able to use any other weapons. Dumbfucks actually think this is "innovation".

LOL morons.

:makesyouthink:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
This game is a better Planescape Torment. MCA should be proud of his contribution of a single NPC monster to this game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Also, can it really be called character progression if what's happening is that stuff you used to be able to do "for free" previously, now you have to sink points into to "unlock"?

This also applies to all "modern" RPGs with needless skill trees.

In previous game Fighter could use all weapons except for unique design restrictions, in later game he can barely swing his sword unless you pump tons of points into sword category, and he still won't be able to use any other weapons. Dumbfucks actually think this is "innovation".

LOL morons.

:makesyouthink:

So far it seems more like what sort of bonus points do you want because the skills branch into perks which are not particularly character-defining. My current character has put more stuff into ranged weaponry, but is still capable of chopping down many enemies in melee for example. The game's alright and scratches a particular itch quite well; I have not gotten into the later levels yet, though.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The game is actually pretty easy. They need to give us some more difficulty settings. I'm on the world 3 and not died yet.

PorkBarrellGuy

Bought it. Looks pretty fucking fun. Retro aesthetic is a little hamfisted but I don't fucking care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom