Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AI War 2

vean

Scholar
Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

4a03a2bc8745ff383c3e5261d02a239d_original.png

AI War 2 is the sequel to 2009's AI War Fleet Command. Like the original, AI War 2 is a real-time strategy game with elements of tower defense and grand strategy that pits you against a smart and deadly AI.

Also like the original, AI War 2 is an asymmetric game. The AI does not play by your rules: it is much more powerful than you, has no supplies you can disrupt, and its resources are literally infinite. Your successes strengthen the AI's focus on you, requiring you to balance immediate needs against long term costs.

e1a20f14224f990410628a3c60a50dcd_original.jpg

AI War 2 is the story of humanity and our allies 353 years after the First AI War. Preparations made against the AI's return failed, and now the AI is fighting the entire galaxy at the same time. It is winning. You control one of the last effective fighting forces in the Milky Way. Soon the AI will have nothing distracting it from dealing with you. The AI has blind spots and vulnerabilities it has forgotten in the years since it escaped human control. Find them and you might survive, or destroy the AI once and for all.

AI War 2 is going to be a lot of fun, and we're going all out to make the game: our design document explains our vision for AI War 2's initial release (henceforth 1.0) with as many specifics as we can think of. Now we need your help to fund the game.

4de350f0772931b93cb80ddf04208c6b_original.jpg

570ee016fe05e296a1d1c349d9281468_original.png

• Private alpha access in January 2017.
  • Public Early Access in May 2017. Available on Steam at a price of $30 for the duration on EA.
  • Version 1.0 in October 2017. Available on Steam and other services at a price of $20 from then on.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
This kickstarter campaign really should get more attention. The first game is one of the most interesting and fun strategy games I've played with a stellar soundtrack. If you can't donate, consider signing up for their headtalker campaign. It's supposed to send out a message (for the kickstarter campaign) to all your friends and followers in social media at same time when the number of supporters reach 500.

https://headtalker.com/campaigns/ai-war-2-kickstarter/

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
I pledged (rare for me -- feel these guys deserve it) but Arcen's not going to make it at the current rate.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Is this the most autistic dev ever? He perfectly fits the turbodweeb geek role

Destroid

Arcane
For some reason I thought this kickstarter had failed and Arcen were doomed. Good to see it wasn't the case.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Doesn't look that much different from AI war 1 tbh....... also the scale in their game is kind of screwed up because all you can see is icons from far away

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
No, it's October 18th: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...N_EARLY_ACCESS_OCTOBER_18TH_2018_ON_STEAM.php

Arcen Games is excited to announce AI War 2 will release in Early Access on Steam October 18th for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms!

AI War 2 is a grand strategy/RTS hybrid against an overwhelming, inhuman enemy who has conquered the galaxy. The enemy has made only a single error: underestimating you. You must steal as much technology as you can, take enough territory to fortify your bases and launch your attacks. But every conquest you make turns the attention of the AI ever more in your direction... so choose your targets with care.

AI War 2 is the epic sequel to 2009's space strategy hit, AI War: Fleet Command -- critically acclaimed for its dastardly AI and totaling nearly 2 million units sold, with more than 650,000 base game sales and 1.15m expansion purchases made to date.

What's New and What Are We Working On?

We still have a lot we want to add, and even more we want to polish, but the current version of AI War 2 is already vast:
  • Many optional factions, each with their own goals and strategy, creating a living galaxy.
  • Polished gameplay mechanics, representing everything learned from the original AI War: Fleet Command's six expansions.
  • Redesigned UI, currently going through iterations.
  • Over 1700 lines of spoken dialogue from more than 25 actors, and more to come for the AI itself.
  • 1.5 hours of new music added to the 4.5 hour score included from the original AI War: Fleet Command.
  • A ton of map types, with a lot of sub-options to make them even more varied.
  • Crazy moddability, with many levers available in easily-accessible XML.
  • Multiplayer is temporarily disabled, but still being implemented.
  • Multithreading for modern performance, and a codebase that will not summon an elder god.
AI War 2 will retail for $19.99 in Early Access, with a discount planned for launch week.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I absolutely love AI War 1 and have no faith in this sequel.
I hope he proves me wrong. Hes a good guy

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
One thing for sure, it should be better than Stellaris

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Playing this now, it's like AI war 1 but everything done nicer and better

XmYi36T.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

1.0 launch on October 22nd:

The launch date of AI War 2 -- October 22nd, 2019 -- is the 10-year anniversary of AI War Classic coming to Steam, which was the catalyst for me becoming a full-time game developer. So much has changed in the industry since then, and it was really daunting to try to keep to the spirit of the original while modernizing it. To keep its depth while shaving off a lot of the learning curve.

We wound up automating or removing a surprising amount of small tedious tasks from the first game -- goodbye build queues and manual scouting -- while at the same time adding in more than we ever expected. The AI is smarter than ever, you get more (and more varied) units, there are deep and exciting entire new alien factions that we had never imagined back when we started this project, and in general the rabbit hole goes as deep as you choose.

There are in-game tutorials that you can play, but there's also a lot of written material in the "How To Play" in-game wiki. It includes a whole section specifically for returning players so they can get up and going as quickly as possible.

My final thought: bear in mind that this has a bit of roguelike DNA, like the first game did. You'll have the most fun if you go in with the attitude that it's okay to get your ass kicked. Thinking on your feet against an adaptable, ever-changing opponent is rather literally the name of the game. Win or lose, I hope you have a number of "aha" moments as you see places to exercise your own cleverness. For me as a designer, it's those moments that make the stories I most enjoy reading about.

It's been a long road, but our playtesters in Early Access are finally seeming to agree that this game surpasses the original, so it's been a very worthwhile endeavor.

Very Best,
Chris Park

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone playing this? I saw it released and it has a low price... I'm pretty interested but I'd like to hear some opinions first

desocupado

Magister
What's exactly different about it besides the 3D graphics?

I got it on steam, and played one match (about 10 hours). I think I like it.

-No more low level mark ships. Once you get a higher mark, all your ships of that kind upgrade. The changes aren't as dramatic as the previous game, though.

-The 3d models look poor, but the weapon effects are very pretty.

-There's a bit more emphasis on hacking. You grab new ships, and other stuff by using the hack points. All planets give hack points now, along with tech points.

-Tech is handled differently. Instead of unlocking new stuff with tech points, the tech points serve to improve whatever you already got. You acquire new things by conquering new planets. I think that needing to go out on the map to get new shit is fun, but unlocking tech now is kinda boring, cause it doesn't add anything new.

-Scouting is automatic, and it's done randomly as you conquest new planets. You can explore an specific planet using a few hack points.

-Instead of building ships and assigning control groups, you have fleets (that you can expand by conquering new planets), and they're assigned a number. You can still more or less customize those, but in the previous game you were limited by a number of specific ships. Now you're limited by the numbers on your fleets.

-Speaking of fleets, your fleets get xp, and improve their mark and how many ships they carry as you battle. The fleet leaders also work as transports, and you load everything and go pretty fast from one planet to another. Regular transports are gone.

-Turrets work on a "per planet" cap, and that cap improves with both tech and by conquering shit on the map. What kind of command station you use is a lot more important now, because economic ones have less turrets, while military have more. Logistic has been buffed a bit, and it's in between. If you go all military, you'll end up without energy, since those don't generate much. They're a lot more powerful, though.

It feels a bit more restricted on what you can do, but it also encourages you to go grab whatever you find on the map, and work with that. There's some streamlining, with cases both good and bad. The scouting thing is silly, but some things are automated now and it's a blessing. No need to set up rally points and shit, just fly your fleets on a friendly planet and they'll be automatically refilled with ships, as long as you have a factory in those, and there's no reason no to.

Monocause

Arcane
Oh fuck. Buying this today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom