Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/15/metro-exodus-open-levels-preview/

Metro Exodus wants you to feel liberated from all those trips through the tunnels

It’s deathly quiet in the forest. Then the silence gives way to a man shouting for help. He’s tied to a post and trying to fend off a ravenous wolf. A single crossbow bolt takes the feral creature out. The shirtless man pleads for my help to free him, cussing as he explains his predicament. I choose to cut him loose. “I owe you my life,” he says. “I’ll never forget this, I swear.”

Inconsequential though it may seem, I begin to ponder his words. Could this have implications? Maybe his captors will return to find he’s escaped and attempt to track me down. It may have been better to leave him tied up. But perhaps he’ll help me the next time our paths cross. It’s this kind of small-scale player choice that runs through the heart of Metro Exodus.

The next installment in Artyom’s story, Metro Exodus wants players to consider all options before making a decision that could impact the rest of their playthrough. Where once it was a no-brainer to do the right thing, there may now be repercussions to your actions. It’s a change that lends itself to skirmishes with factions in particular (such as the Children of the Forest, who I encountered during a hands-on demo at EGX 2018), with multiple ways for you to deal with potential threats

“We don’t force you to play as this maniacal, psycho killer – you can do that if that’s your style – but you’re completely free to choose how you tackle the game, and I think it really rewards different play styles,” said Huw Beynon, Deep Silver’s global brand manager. “You can be the silent ninja who infiltrates an enemy base, or you can be a ghost and have nobody notice you.”

Beynon said that if you’re doing the latter you’ll overhear all the guards, which means more world-building. Enemies aren’t just primed with guns at the ready – they’re going about their business, having conversations, and are meant to feel like they’re part of the world.

Player choices don’t just occur outside of battle either. If you get caught up in a fire fight, taking out enough enemies can lead to some faction soldiers surrendering in front of you. You can then decide whether they deserve to live, and merely be knocked unconscious, or die.

Player freedom and choice is also evident in other areas. Exodus’s wider levels are a perfect opportunity to explore post-apocalyptic Russia. The story and main missions are the golden thread running through this world, but there’s plenty to discover if you wish to explore away from the main path. After surviving my encounter with the Children of the Forest, I stumbled upon a deserted classroom with notes, diary entries, and other trinkets that offered a glimpse into how these kids survived the fallout from the global nuclear catastrophe. They provided context to their plight, and raised a pang of guilt over how I had systematically killed off a good portion of their number. It was too late to consider the positives and negatives, but it would play on my mind in my next encounter with their kin.

Exploration, as in Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light, plays a vital role in your own survival. From encountering mutated monsters that may cause you to reload your last checkpoint, or coming across a cache of ammo that could be the difference between life and death, Metro Exodus seeks to compensate you for heading away from your main objective.

“This game will absolutely reward you,” says Beynon. “But it will never give you a shopping list of arbitrary stuff to do. It should all feel tied into the game world.”

It’s a point he’s keen to press home. Metro Exodus won’t force you down paths that you’re not intrigued by, nor will it give you a list of errand boy side quests to earn new equipment. It wants players to feel liberated after spending two games in the depths of the Metro tunnels, to explore in whatever way they see fit. That comes from the development team’s desire to resist “gamifying” the player’s journey, says Beynon.

“As soon as the player’s mentally thinking: ‘I’ve got to do all of these things to collect an achievement’, that’s breaking their immersion with the game,” he says. “They’re not thinking: ‘I’ve got to save this character or get to this location’ or any other story-driven objective.”

The way Beynon sees it, as soon as people start to look at an arbitrary “10 things to do to get an achievement” then they’re not actually in Artyom’s boots.

Metro Exodus wants players to lose themselves in its setting, and to let them decide how and where to take Artyom. From the demo I played, that goal looks promising.

Esteban5XG

Literate
I've just played Metro Exodus last weekend in MGW, and I have to say it looks like really cool. Maybe graphics seem a little bit saturated (particularly in black color), and I think it's just because of the dirty ambient they wanna make. But I did really enjoy the game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
84,99 Euro on Steam.

Deep Silver is insane.

Says Gold edition though, so hopefully it's for the super edition with season pass and everything in between. But then again, publishers have been pushing for a long time now for a general increase in price. RDR2 I think was 10 euro more than standard.

Squid

Arbiter
Those changes are stupid as hell. Glad Dmitry didn't like it. The idea for that movie is pushing the idea that would even be derivative lmao.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Coming one week early:

Created by Elastic.tv, the award winning makers of some of the most iconic title sequences of recent years including Game of Thrones and Westworld, this beautiful introduction to the game is set to an original score by Metro series composer Alexey Omelchuk.

Metro Exodus has gone gold, and will now release on February 15th 2019!

Ivan

Arcane
Given the failure of Fallout 76, I sincerely hope this ends up being their most successful title (commercially and critically). They're taking the series closer to the STALKER roots by featuring larger hub areas for players to explore and survive in.

I hope they knock it out of the park. The STALKER-lite DLC they did for Last Light was excellent

:salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looking back at this thread I can't believe the number of shills who disliked my posts calling out the original games for what they were: linear with way too many forced breaks in the action. If they can get away from that crap then this might be an okay game.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
People actually enjoyed the Metro games?
I am actually in the middle of my very first metro 2033 (not Redux) playthrough. Playing on Ranger highest difficulty and I'm actually having a blast, though I wish the HUD was even less intrusive I am pleased with the gameplay and hooked by the nice narrative and setting, as a kid when I was strolling through the superb Muscovite subway I could all but wonder how it would all look like abandoned and spooky.
Albeit I do think they missed a golden opportunity by not including the waiting section for the subways themselves (I don't know how they're called, essentially the areas from when you enter the subway to the part where you wait for the trains). Each station has a different architecture: from the good ol' plain utilitarian style to some more surprising and fancy looking Neo-classical architecture. Not to mention that most intertwined stations are being connected with long and maze-like corridors.

That being said, I think the game is pretty good and would recommend (I must be around 8 hours in). On the other side, I did hear a more mixed reaction for the following games and the Redux editions.

Squid

Arbiter
What's wrong with the Redux editions? I wanted to get DRM-free copies of Metro on GOG but they only have the Redux ones. I have the originals on my Steam but I like having DRM free ever since I made the switch.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
What's wrong with the Redux editions? I wanted to get DRM-free copies of Metro on GOG but they only have the Redux ones. I have the originals on my Steam but I like having DRM free ever since I made the switch.
It's pretty much a different game in some respects. They completely modified some encounters, mostly in the form of making them easier (getting rid of the tank during the trolley chase, giving you more weapons during other encounters, etc.) There's also a lot of little touches that seem to have been done to make the world more colorful or cheerful something, different characters models, adjustments to contrast and light levels and so on, it's a thing that is hard to explain in bullet points but it overall makes the game world feel less gloomy and melancholy. Most apt comparison I can think of is like a digital recoloring of a comic, where all the basic lines and story is the same but it's also not the same at all.

One thing especially I dislike is the change of voice actor, and they changed the main VA of Artyom of all people. The original has a far more depressive and sullen quality to it, like the guy actually grew up in the Metro, whereas in the new edition he sounds like a generic soldier or a jock or something, his intonations are exaggerated like he is reading to an audience unlike the original where it sounded more like Artyom's internal monologue or him talking to himself:

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
One thing especially I dislike is the change of voice actor, and they changed the main VA of Artyom of all people. The original has a far more depressive and sullen quality to it, like the guy actually grew up in the Metro, whereas in the new edition he sounds like a generic soldier or a jock or something, his intonations are exaggerated like he is reading to an audience unlike the original where it sounded more like Artyom's internal monologue or him talking to himself:

That's hardly an issue considering the English VO for Artyom FUCKING SUCKED and was nothing like the original Russian one.
:rpgcodex: Sounds like some emo kid.

In the Redux version the ranger hardcore difficulty is so lazy that they just completely disabled the HUD, including any QTE prompts, so if you don't remember where they are you're going to have a fun time. Also you can only have 2 weapons, the revolver is not an extra like in the original.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Have they announced when they're going to announce system requirements? Can I pre-order them? A bit retarded that they boast about finishing the game early and offer pre-orders while still not giving us any indication of what kind of PC would be needed to run it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom