Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Vatnik Wumao
They might be trying to cater to a larger audience with the DLC since their aesthetic was already Warhammer Fatansy-ish. Keep in mind that at first they didn't plan on doing any DLC at all.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
They might be trying to cater to a larger audience with the DLC since their aesthetic was already Warhammer Fatansy-ish. Keep in mind that at first they didn't plan on doing any DLC at all.
Then they should move deeper into generic fantasy bestiary instead original 'donut steel' German inventions.
Where are the ratmen, lizardmen, cultists and heretics?
The Total War bring new life to WHF.
But they probably walk around to avoid getting sued or something.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-108-consumables/

DEV BLOG #108: CONSUMABLES

As you’ve learned in our dev blog about crafting, you’ll soon be able to create potions. How do these fit into the game and the gameworld, and how do they work? And what about the ability to paint shields and helmets while we’re at it? All this and more in this week’s edition of our devblog for the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC. Let’s go!

CONSUMABLES
There’s two types of consumables you’ll be able to use.

The first one you’re already familiar with – take, for example, Antidote or Goblin Poison into combat, use them in combat, benefit from them in combat. Apart from adding lots of new consumables, there’s one thing we’re changing about these in general: They no longer go into the accessory slot, but instead can be used from any of the bag slots. This way, it’s a lot more convenient to carry and use things like bandages without having to switch things around in the inventory, and using accessories like wardogs no longer prevents you from also using bandages at the same time.

The second and new type of consumables are those used exclusively on the worldmap. They can’t be equipped by your characters, but while on the worldmap, you can drag them onto the currently selected character to use them on this particular character. These include armor attachments, potions and paint items. You can identify these types of consumables by the ‘+’ on their inventory icon, and there’s also a new filter category so that they don’t get lost betweenst your other possessions. Let’s take a more detailed look on potions and paint items, then.

POTIONS AND DRUGS
Battle Brothers has always been low fantasy, and we’ve deliberately established this asymmetry of a mercenary company composed of ordinary men, led by the player, who sometimes have to fight even supernatural enemies with their earthly means. That’s a pillar of the game’s setting, and it’s not going to change. That said, we still believe that in a quasi-medieval world there’s a place for alchemy and potions while keeping things grounded for the player.

Take the ‘Potion of Knowledge’. It’s a fancy name and what it promises borders on the mystical. Take a look at the accompanying status effect, and you’ll see that things aren’t always what they seem. It’s a matter of perspective, and it’s how we’re handling potions in Battle Brothers. They’re essentially drugs.

So, with that established, here’s the deal: You’ll be able to craft both potions for use in combat, as well as potions for use on the worldmap. Potions for use in combat give benefits such as a temporary bonus to a specific attribute, let the user ignore freshly suffered injuries or see at night. Potions for use on the worldmap include faster experience gain, as you’ve seen, wound treatment, and one particular effect that many people have been asking for for a long time. Of course, the more powerful the potion, the more rare the ingredients. And because all of those are essentially drugs, there’s always the chance of overindulgence and addiction.

PAINT ITEMS
Another type of consumable which can’t be crafted, but can be bought and looted, are items with which to paint your shields and helmets in the colors of your company. Helpful also, perhaps, to establish specific color schemes for specific roles in your company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barbarian

Arcane
A solid, if unspectacular addition. Hope they dont overindulge in quasi-crafting mechanics.

Very solid, as usual. Painting your shields with the company logo, armor upgrades and potions are all very sweet stuff.

Keep in mind all these small features are adding up to a great expansion. At this point if they add more human variety and improve late game/crisis then I think it would be unfair to complain. It is looking really good.

Its look like we are switching from low fantasy medieval mercenary company into witchers and monster hunters.
Which to be honest I do not really like especially that current humanoid enemies don't looks like will get any more love.

They already had necromancers and undead(not to mention orcs and goblins). I would also like more human variety but I disagree that they are going too far on the fantasy aspects.

But yeah, more variety in human enemies would be great.

vazha

Arcane
Human cavalry is what we need, with armored warhorses and all that. halberdier & pike v.s. cavalry charge mechanics would be sweet. Some early, primitive siege engines (onagers, ballistae) wouldn't hurt as well if carefully implemented (a very low chance to hit, great risk of friendly fire, hit should mean guaranteed death at worst and severe maiming at best, squishy, snipe-able dude manning it etc)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not excited about potions. "Prebuffing" is rarely an interesting decision and certainly not an exciting or adventurous moment. BB is good about scarcity and resource management so I'm sure it won't be awful, but I could do without this.

Barbarian

Arcane
From what I understand these potions will be hard to come by and hoard.

Keeping in mind all the difficult/near impossible battles you can get yourself into, using them correctly and at a worthwhile occasion will add a new layer of strategy. And that is good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure they'll do it well, they stand by their harsh setting etc. but I'm always meh on the concept of "power ups". Winning a fight because I had the quad damage power up is never as satisfying as winning due to superior skill and strategy.

And honestly I wonder why they added this? I doubt it was part of their original vision. More likely fans wrote in saying we want cool potions and power ups. Any step in that direction is decline imo.

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Its gonna be really not fun if they don't fix/increase company inventory space.
>spare armors
>spare weapons
>crafting materials
>potions
>bandages and antidotes
>nets and throwing spears
>food
>loot
To bad game isn't modable because then it wouldn't be a problem.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I stopped yelling about modding because at this point they put an "X" on it already, but fucking battle enviroments, more backgrounds, more interesting and satisfying events and this game would be seriously dope. Introducing different cultures as well, or at least more differ human enemies.
It has so much potential that shouldn't be wasted ._.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Little bit from art thread

Hi Paul, Will Coat of plates still be highest tier armour in expansion?
Most likely, but other armors might catch up with it depending on what upgrades you choose to attach.
Apart from that we will focus more on making mid tier armors more viable instead of raising the maximum armor points.

Prime Junta

Keeping in mind all the difficult/near impossible battles you can get yourself into, using them correctly and at a worthwhile occasion will add a new layer of strategy. And that is good.

I think the main benefit is precisely that it makes it feasible to take on those hard battles. If you're playing on Ironman, it's simply stupid to take on a three-skull contract -- the reward will barely cover the attrition even if you win, and there's a big chance you won't, which means taking a massive hit to your purse even if you survive.

Consumables that let you turn the tide on those will make things a lot more exciting.

I've got about 360 hours logged in BB but haven't played it in a while now. This will get me to reinstall for sure.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
IIRC in the first announcement they said it would take several months, the sooner I would expect it is the 1st quarter of 2019.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was hoping for a Christmas release but yeah, 1st quarter 2019 sounds more probable at moment, especially since they didn't say anything about a release date yet

Prime Junta

by the way I am unreasonably chuffed about the paints

i can't wait to deck out the Bolshevik Party in red with gold accents like they deserve

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Still no player owned castle:negative:

That doesn't make sense in this game. Why should a mercenary company own a castle?
Historically speaking there were mercenary company leaders who even became rulers. That's how Sforza dynasty in Milan started if I remember correctly. However you really don't roleplay the leader of the company in the game but the company as a whole. Owning a castle out of the blue wouldn't make sense anyway. And of curse by "company" this games means 12 murder-hobos so there is that.

Barbarian

Arcane
Still no player owned castle:negative:

That doesn't make sense in this game. Why should a mercenary company own a castle?
Historically speaking there were mercenary company leaders who even became rulers. That's how Sforza dynasty in Milan started if I remember correctly. However you really don't roleplay the leader of the company in the game but the company as a whole. Owning a castle out of the blue wouldn't make sense anyway. And of curse by "company" this games means 12 murder-hobos so there is that.

Yes, but then your player character would become a ruler. No longer a mercenary captain.

And the whole game is designed around playing a roving mercenary band. You would get your castle and then what? Fielding armies? Ruling peasants? Economy? Noble-house relations and marriage games? They would have to design another game entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom