Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Do you reckon that Otherside might pass the buggyness off as a feature. a "throwback to the janky games of yesteryear" That'l be their excuse.

"WELL UU1 AND 2 WERE REALLY JANKY TOO. WE SPIRITUALLY INHERITED THE BUGS AS WELL!"

If Otherside think they can Bethesda their way out of this fubar they're in for a shock.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
A closed beta tester is spilling the beans, possibly to avoid a sea/Zombra situation:

They have been getting high quality feedback by many, many playtesters who have echoed much of the concerns being voiced right now, in the playtesting channels only available to playtesters, but there is a difference between receiving feedback and actually acting on that feedback.

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6201.msg34291#msg34291

Do you reckon that Otherside might pass the buggyness off as a feature. a "throwback to the janky games of yesteryear" That'l be their excuse.

"WELL UU1 AND 2 WERE REALLY JANKY TOO. WE SPIRITUALLY INHERITED THE BUGS AS WELL!"

If Otherside think they can Bethesda their way out of this fubar they're in for a shock.

I think right now they're just trying to fulfil their obligation to their publisher without going bust.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
aliens.png
Today's Conspiracy Theory
mystery.png

Otherside Boston - Ion Storm Dallas
Underworld Ascendant - Daikatana
Otherside Austin - Ion Storm Austin

System Shock 3 - Deus Ex? :fabulously:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Maybe, but Deus Ex saved the day like 3 months after Daikatana released. System Shock 3 still has years to go, we'll see if Otherside doesn't get shuttered before they finish it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They've got 12 million USD from Starbreeze (plus possibly additional investment from them or others along the way), so even if Boston get shuttered the production of SS3 will likely go on in Austin.

Nyast

Cipher
Tchooo tchoooo....

From their community manager:

Just to answer another pressing question, @Flug, the release date cannot be changed. However, we ARE dedicating part of our team to bug-fixing, patches, DLC, and more in the months after launch. It's not a "one and done" project, and most of the framework is ready for this when we hit the November launch date.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
LOL, another BT4-like mistake.

Are they not learning animals?

I, for one, am going to enjoy watching the crash&burn.

Zep--

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Dev statement:

We did some updates to the save system this weekend so that you can exit the game, but come back start at the beginning of the level you were questing in as opposed to starting back in Marcaul pending testing

It sounds like saving your progress within a mission would be too ambitious for the release version. Their time is probably better spent on fixing major bugs anyway.

And here's further confirmation that levels completely reset when you leave and re-enter them:

I took a quest in Marcaul to collect Ripper poms. This is the easiest quest as the items are right at the start of the Upper Erebus level. I went through the portal to Erebus, and proceeded to set fire to every single wooden container and object I could find. Boxes, baskets, wooden doors, shelving cabinets, a makeshift wooden bridge walkway, and wooden beam wall barricades. I opened several chests as well and broke several vases. Additionally, I found a crypt room with a sarcophagus in it, opened it, and triggered a spiked floor trap within the room. I then collected the Ripper poms and exited back to Marcaul through the quest complete portal. I then went to the lizard men mediators to trigger more billboard quests, walked over the the quest billboard and took a quest to evict the undead from Upper Erebus. I walked to the portal, entered it, and....... was immediately given the quest complete mission stat screen for completing the quest of evicting the undead without ever having actually done anything. I was returned right back to Marcaul. I repeated the task of acquiring yet another quest from the billboard. This time a quest to get some other kind of Ripper related item. I re entered the portal to Upper Erebus again and this time it worked. Upon arriving, the level now had volcanic fissures erupting everywhere. However, every single box, basket, vase, shelving cabinet, wooden bridge walkway, wooden beam wall barricade, and wooden door that I had burnt to a crisp and destroyed was magically ok again and back in it's original location. All chests I had opened were closed again with new loot inside. The trapped floor in a crypt room that I had triggered was reset.

So the changes you make to a level are not saved at all. The only changes that occur that I can see are cosmetic ones that are triggered by the doom counter advancing (the fissures that open up in the ground).

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
Lol the cat is out of the bag. Another one from their community manager:

The team has changed a lot over the last few years, along with the scope. Having looked at the original documents, the original plan for UA was WAY out of scope for the budget and team size we have (and had). I can't think of another indie game that offers this many playstyle options, a robust spell crafting system, a stealth option that encompasses weapons, skills, and items, and then a movement-based combat system on top of a reactive world environment. This team is really ambitious, and the main focus of UA had shifted to accommodate the systems that were set up over the first few years of development.

The team will continue working on this game up until and past launch. It's not over.

Nyast

Cipher
So to get this straight: they reduced the scope, but the game is still a HUGE mess that's heading into the wall.

Brace yourselves :o

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
And another one:

Re: Recent Backer Beta Feedback

Hey everyone! We're excited to have the Backer Beta in your hands, especially for people who haven't played any of the earlier builds. Since we have your attention, we want to take this opportunity to give you more background about the game:

1. Underworld Ascendant is based on the original Ultima Underworld games and the plan has always been to do a next generation version, not a remake or remaster. In the spirit of the original Underworld games, we’re aiming to do something different, blaze a new path and take some risks, all within the boundaries of the team size and budget that we have.

2. One of the most important aspects of UW was the consequences of physics and player interactivity within the world, and a big part of UA is acting upon that and taking it to a new level. We highly encourage you to try experimenting with whatever you find in the Stygian Abyss, and use your environment to your advantage. We want to challenge people to think creatively and use the tools they have around them or have equipped to solve problems in their own unique way.

3. UA allows you to explore the dungeons in first person in real time, with real-time consequences. We're providing a LOT of different playstyle options, we believe much more so than in the originals. There's more to combat than just hack and slashing, traversing environments is much more visceral, stealth is now possible and magic is a more useful tool.

4. UA has a small core team! I know for many of you who have frequented our forums, you can count all 14 of us off the top of your head, and for those of you meeting us for the first time, keep in mind that we're an extremely small team making a relatively big game. Our small size and focus on gameplay means that we have limited cutscenes and scripted events. Most of this game WILL be up to the player's actions and self-directed exploration, and we build the tools to allow for that. Like our designer Chris recently said: many modern RPGs are built on the foundations of previous games (or, as Chris put it, you don't start with Oblivion). Creating a game that supports playstyle variety with dozens of skill options for combat, stealth, and magic, as well as dozens of unique spells, is an enormous endeavor for a team of any size, and most modern games are developed by teams of hundreds. We intend to build out these elements further -- and, yes, add new ones -- in future projects.

5. There are no dialogue trees in Underworld Ascendant. If not done well, they can be stilted and boring—and doing NPC interaction in a much more open-ended way is way out of scope. That said, character interactions and relationships are still an important part of UA, so we've opted to allow you to actively choose which Factions you're interested in assisting (or none), without branching dialogue trees. While there are less survivors in the Stygian Abyss than returning Avatars may recall since their last visit, these survivors are turning to you in the hope that you can make a difference where they have not. This is an area we intend to expand upon in the future. Last, storytelling is also accomplished with VO—you’ll hear a lot more of it in the beginning as we set the context for the game.
We are very excited about the game we are making. Our hope here is to try to help you get a better sense of what we’re focused on and how it will come together.

In the meanwhile, we're still working hard on the game and keeping track of your feedback. We've made a lot of great improvements based on our external playtest feedback, and we’re also addressing some of the feedback you’ve provided already. Remember to fill out the Backer Beta survey after you've finished playing it as well!

There are no dialogue trees in Underworld Ascendant. If not done well, they can be stilted and boring—and doing NPC interaction in a much more open-ended way is way out of scope.

IMHO that's been clear since the beta was released, but some people still had faith that "an Underworld game" would surely have a dialogue system. Rivers of blood imminent.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
I think I've never been as disapointed by a game as much in my entire life.

This is ULTIMA UNDERWORLD. A classic.

Made by its original designers.

What. The. Fuck. Happened.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm looking forward to...

the project retrospective to be posted on Gematsu by one of the developers, detailing the titanic levels of mismanagement involved in this project. What was the schedule to have 14 men deliver on such a massive concept? What were the deadlines for getting each individual feature or slice working, if any existed? What were the deadlines issued by the publisher? When was the game estimated to be feature complete? How much time was set aside for the testing phase? Were the developers even technically competent?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
The programmer kid, first time working with Unity...they should have known better.

"OH COOL! Look at this physics stuff!" *he proceeds to show us default Unity physics*

I told you then (all those years ago), this will be a disaster.

Zep--

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

This is what happens when you take has beens who have basically been sitting on their asses for the past 20 years and Kickstarter moneyz flash in their eyes... there is a reason they are fuckups with no jobs who have to resort to crowdfunding
If they had done a 3 level dungeon with proper mechanics and design it could be forgiven and damn the budget, but this abomination is above and beyond mediocrity
I have asked again and again for a refund for this bullshit; the level of sheer incompetence and total disregard and respect for the Ultima Underworld legacy is what makes things even worse
I honest to god pray this is the final nail on the coffin for the company and dont get a mile from System Shock which I am grateful I never backed because I had my doubts about Otherside and Underworld so far
Thankful this also will be the final nail of crowdfunding as a whole for revivals and hasbeens looking for another payday banked on nostalgia

This is what happens when you take has beens who have basically been sitting on their asses for the past 20 years and Kickstarter moneyz flash in their eyes... there is a reason they are fuckups with no jobs who have to resort to crowdfunding
If they had done a 3 level dungeon with proper mechanics and design it could be forgiven and damn the budget, but this abomination is above and beyond mediocrity
I have asked again and again for a refund for this bullshit; the level of sheer incompetence and total disregard and respect for the Ultima Underworld legacy is what makes things even worse
I honest to god pray this is the final nail on the coffin for the company and dont get a mile from System Shock which I am grateful I never backed because I had my doubts about Otherside and Underworld so far
Thankful this also will be the final nail of crowdfunding as a whole for revivals and hasbeens looking for another payday banked on nostalgia
Don't worry. It's Otherworld Austin. Its the deyus hex gyz right? The good Ion Storm right? The one John Romero didn't make his bitch right?

System Shock: SHODAN Revolution. Coming to a bankruptcy auction near you!

When It's done ;)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, they could have done what they set out to do, they fell into the typical hubrys these KS projects fall into. Their original plans could have been viable, if they stuck to them. They should have aimed for high-indy instead of broad appeal (which they didn't really achieve in the end). Stylised art direction, fairly simple geometry, hard focus on exploration-based gameplay and "innovation" (like the functional dungeon ecology thing, which seems to have been canned entirely). Interactability, deep simulation subystems. That was their campaign pitch. Proper text convos instead of voice acting and lip-synching that every publisher tries and fails at.

There is probably a deeply buried decent game in there, with tons of effort expended on features that did not make it. Remember the months they spent talking about the lizardman language until it was starting to get annoying? The current product does not even have a functional convo system. That's somewhere on someone's HD.

The thing is, there would have been an audience for the original concept (it was a moderately successful KS after all), who would have forgiven if things didn't look all high-res. Nobody is going to forgive this, and it will sadly go down like a rock.

V_K

Arcane
Shit, it does look like it's going to be Bug's Tale 4 all over again. :negative:
I so wanted it to be good, there are way too few games out there that allow multiple gameplay approaches (and no, dialog choices aren't gameplay) - and I guess there'll be even fewer attempts now that this fails.

Nyast

Cipher
It's nowhere near BT4's technical quality at release. In fact I'd say BT4, for all its issues, was a polished diamond compared to the state UA is in. That's telling.. and I'm not talking about design issues here.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I gotta hand it to them for one thing, people on their forum are shitting all over this "beta" ("respectably", of course, LOL), and they (at this time) don't seem to be deleting those comments. However, they (OS) are in "excuse" mode when replying.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom