Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Radio Commander - Vietnam War RTS where you command troops using radio

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playway/radio-commander-use-radio-commands-to-lead-your-tr

http://radiocommander.net

https://af.gog.com/game/radio_commander_complete_edition?as=1649904300

From the publisher of 911 Operator:

ss_72f96bb1c2b06844b92185a68c4a5c33f7499098.jpg

ss_ba94e6a9b16da3b5ddd499b885843da41796ecbe.jpg

Header_07_2018.jpg

In Radio Commander you are playing as an American military commander serving in US Army during the Vietnam War. You will be carrying heavy burden as your mission is to coordinate military operations taking place between 1965 and 1967. But this is not just another RTS, in which you are an invisible being hovering over the battlefield. In Radio Commander situation reports are given to you in form of dramatic radio statements sent by troops fighting on the ground. And your only accessory is a strategic map, on which you can place tags and notes. Will you be smart, fast and cold-blooded enough to carry the responsibility and save your men?

Steam_1.jpg

UNIQUE VIEW ON REALISM
Radio Commander offers an unique experience very different from classic real time strategy games. It’s a bold try to redefine the genre, as player will be involved in decision making process much more realistic than those pictured by casual RTS. Ask for situation reports. Listen what your men have to tell you. Send evac choppers and nape drops. Defeat the invisible enemy.

DIVE INTO THE STORY
Experience the story of soldiers and their commander, trapped in the middle of bloody, chaotic, morally ambiguous Vietnam conflict. Dive into a scenario that doesn’t avoid the difficult issues of civilians trapped in the theater of action, shady CIA operations, and cynical political pressures. Discover those uneasy situations, presented in such cult classics as Platoon, Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now, which were happening on a daily basis for those serving in Vietnam. See for yourself how hard it is to make the right choices in the middle of a fire exchange with Vietcong.

DECIDE WHO LIVES AND DIES
Decide the fate of your soldiers. The choices you face will have a direct impact on the course of the game. They will also define views of your hero. Or maybe those are your views? Playing Radio Commander you must be prepared to answer tough questions about the righteousness of your actions, price of a human life, and the toxic power of propaganda and stereotypes.

USE YOUR IMAGINATION
Radio Commander is not another empty action game. You will play as the commander operating from his tent, using only a radio and a map. You will be staring at the map for hours, listening carefully to the reports. Your decisions will affect life of many people. Just like in real life, there are no fancy graphics and animations to help you imagine what’s happening on battlefield. Only you, your map, and skills. You have to listen and be smart. Thanks to this, level of immersion is much greater than in normal real time strategy games.

Steam_10.jpg

CHOOSE BETWEEN VARIOUS MEANS
You will take under your command not only units of infantry, air cavalry or field artillery, but also powerful units of air support. It’s in your will to order the jungle-burning nape drops, or devastating bombings. Are you ready to bring the rain of fire and burn the enemy positions to the ground? Are you sure that your soldiers are far enough and won't take damages? And does the ends always justify the means?

EXPERIENCE DEEP IN-GAME SYSTEMS
Beneath the narrative layer, hidden from your eyes, a deep and complex simulation is taking place. In Radio Commander every unit is described by unique set of statistics. You will have to worry about your platoons morale, supplies, and even stamina. All those factors will be important during your soldiers' confrontations with enemy, unfriendly terrain and extreme Vietnamese climate. What will you do, when your choppers report, that they are out of fuel and forced to land in the middle of the jungle? Will you send the rescue mission risking the life of even more soldiers?

BOND WITH YOUR BROTHERS IN ARMS
Troops under your command are not just pawns on the map. They are complicated, multi-layered human beings, with their own voices, problems, strengths and weaknesses. Mutual trust is essential. They depend on your judgment and cool decisions, while you are hoping they’re giving their best. Discover hundreds of original dialogues and scenarios. Play the same mission another time making different decisions and listening to different replies.

HOURS OF GAME EXPERIENCE
Radio Commander includes:
- 10 campaign missions (every mission is possible to complete in several different ways),
- 10 animated briefings,
- 15 units types, including: infantry, evac choppers, gunships, field artillery, aerial reconnaissance, armored personnel carriers M113, and napalm-carrying F4 Phantom jets (every unit is described by a unique set of statistics and communicates with commander using a different voice),
- full voice over,
- over 200 dialogue blocks, used to construct radio messages,
- over 600 story dialogues between units and the commander.

Last edited by a moderator:

laclongquan

Arcane
Joy!

This must be like Lyndon Johnson's dream come true I think. There's a president of USA who like to command troop whenever he's lost sleep and wake up at the middle of the night, wandering over to the War room and phone to that luckless company's field HQ.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Joy!

This must be like Lyndon Johnson's dream come true I think. There's a president of USA who like to command troop whenever he's lost sleep and wake up at the middle of the night, wandering over to the War room and phone to that luckless company's field HQ.

Wait, was this an actual thing? Could you provide some links to further info? Wouldn't mind reading up on it.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
According to the US authors I read chat at the fanpage. I will try to find some actual (or semi official) links to back this up~

Thanks in advance! This sounds interesting and even vaguely related to my work, so would love to learn more.

braaaur

Serious Sim
Developer
Hi guys! I'm Jacob and I am the lead developer of Radio Commander. I can assure you that it is a real thing!

You can follow us on our steam page or facebook (Radio Commander) where I am posting regular updates.

If you have any questions about the game, we are happy to answer them!

Best regards :)

Mustawd

Joy!

Wait, was this an actual thing? Could you provide some links to further info? Wouldn't mind reading up on it.

Located next to the White House mess, the Situation Room has been the scene of some of modern history’s most fraught moments. It was up and running for Kennedy’s faceoff with the Soviets during the Cuban missile crisis. Lyndon B. Johnson spent so much time in the room during the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, he had his Oval Office chair brought down and would sit there in his pajamas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...house-situation-rooms-history-making-moments/

TZPCA3EAPY3JPGOAKUHCR7HQ7U.jpg

Often he would awaken in the middle of the night and -clad in pajamas, feet encased in thickly padded slippers -go down to the Situation Room of the White House, where he would sit for hours receiving the latest reports of bombing raids and missing planes, captured villages and fresh casualties, as if, somehow, in this way he could establish contact with the struggles, the secret desires, of living flesh.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/21/magazine/president-lyndon-johnson-the-war-within.html

laclongquan

Arcane
Lyndon Johnson actually sounds like a wargame maniac. But we all know in the 50-70s where he climb the political ladder tabletop wargame is not a mature pastime for people in his field~

I am looking forward to ten years more when politic people gradually confess to playing niche games and reading manga.

Mustawd

Lyndon Johnson actually sounds like a wargame maniac. But we all know in the 50-70s where he climb the political ladder tabletop wargame is not a mature pastime for people in his field~

I am looking forward to ten years more when politic people gradually confess to playing niche games and reading manga.

There's some politician who claims he's a gamer or something. But yah, it's rare now. Although I suspect it'll become more and more common.

EDIT: Actually, all this talk about LBJ and Vietnam makes me think some kind of civilian/political meddling would be a cool extra layer to the pure military strategic aspect of it. Something like having to wrangle resources among a handful of different civilian counterparts and having to balance their wants with your needs. It's never ideal but you decide how to react to their demands.

Like maybe one of the politicians is more for diplomatic peace and will become more and more agitated as you become more and more aggressive in your deployments with consequences if you piss him off enough. So you can either just choose to piss him off and accept consequences for short term positioning, or try to placate by less aggressive deployments.

I guess that'd be similar to X-com's funding form different countries.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Somebody gotta be mean and keep up the Codex tradition, so:

Radio Commander offers an unique experience very different from classic real time strategy games. It’s a bold try to redefine the genre
Uh-oh. Are you really re-defining a genre, or just making something different entirely while mentioning the other genre to get starcraft fans to check out your game?

Looks like a simple (in practice, regardless of underlying stats) indie game with the main feature being a total gimmick (and a way to not have to render actual battles).
Neat, but is that enough? I hope there's a lot more to it than that.

Wouldn't call it an RTS either from what we can see so far. That term invokes a very specific type of game, and that's not really what players seem to be getting here (or at least the RTS parts appear rather simplistic, smartphone-game level basically).
I'm a little skeptical as to the underlying mechanics...
Are you actually trying to outwit the a.i. or is it basically multiple-choice thing with an unusual coat of paint to hide that and make it seem more than it is?
Or is it closer to how some grand-strategy titles handle their battles?
Or more like the fake strategy -version of one of those immersive experience "games" that are less game and more mood piece?

Secondly:
10 campaign missions (every mission is possible to complete in several different ways)

If this is an actual RTS of sorts, not just a glorified multiple-choice or experience thing essentially... Where's the skirmish and multiplayer modes? Without base-building, resource-gathering, research and upgrading and such, this is already at best a simpler version of the usual RTS games, not a more complex or advanced one.
You mentioned skill... How does that factor into the game with the player having so little to go by (a map with some icons and radio calls)?
What options do you have to influence the game?

My criticisms all more or less relate to the claims of re-defining the RTS genre and being more than "an empty action game" and such... Hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that there's a lot of silly marketing talk here trying to make this out to be something it kind of just isn't.

Troops under your command are not just pawns on the map. They are complicated, multi-layered human beings
Mutual trust is essential
while you are hoping they’re giving their best.
What does any of that mean in game terms? Especially the "complicated, multi-layered human beings" -part?

Discover hundreds of original dialogues and scenarios. Play the same mission another time making different decisions and listening to different replies.
Is this within the context of an actual simulation with consistent rules and a hostile a.i. from which you get emergent gameplay situations, or is it a pre-defined cyoa thing with unusual controls and optics after all?
Beneath the narrative layer, hidden from your eyes, a deep and complex simulation is taking place. In Radio Commander every unit is described by unique set of statistics. You will have to worry about your platoons morale, supplies, and even stamina.
What options do you have available to keep these things from becoming a problem through smart play in the first place?
Or is it the kind of game where you are forced into picking the lesser of 2 evils constantly?
All those factors will be important during your soldiers' confrontations with enemy, unfriendly terrain and extreme Vietnamese climate. What will you do, when your choppers report, that they are out of fuel and forced to land in the middle of the jungle? Will you send the rescue mission risking the life of even more soldiers?
Do those choppers run out of fuel as part of the simulation, or are there random events?
Can you just order them back earlier to refuel, and then order them onto the field again?
If they have to land in the middle of the jungle, will opponents suddenly be spawned out of nowhere to threaten them, or do they have to actually be positioned there from the start (or moved there by the a.i. later) for that to happen?

Is it going to be an actually realistic take with a well trained, equipped and organized NVA as the main antagonist and threat, or just the usual fare with the oh-so amazing viet cong propped up as something they never were while every American trooper is a stoner or batshit insane or whatever?

Is possible complexity of systems wasted/offset by the simplistic presentation?

(welcome to the codex and good luck with your game)

Last edited:

braaaur

Serious Sim
Developer
Somebody gotta be mean and keep up the Codex tradition, so:

Looks shit

Now you're talking :)

Uh-oh. Are you really re-defining a genre, or just making something different entirely while mentioning the other genre to get starcraft fans to check out your game?

"Re-defining a genre" is just a catchy phrase with some undeniable truth in it. The fact is that we took strategy game concept and added something relatively new and unique to it. It is more than most do these days. Beside, marketing is part of making games today, as important as any other aspect.

Yes, it is an indie game, not some AAA block buster. But still, the sim is pretty solid IMHO (more complex than in a lot of RTS games) and involves things such as pinning down, flanking, different modificators when engaging / retreating, ammo, morale and many other things. It is not multiple-choice experience or sth like that. However, there will not be base-building, resource-gathering, research and upgrading. It's just not fitting to our vision of rather realistic military sim with interesting plot.

How does that factor into the game with the player having so little to go by (a map with some icons and radio calls)?

Radio calls are just a way to control your units. Instead of clicking right mouse button, you have to send the message with coordinates and other parameters. The rest is pretty much RTS-like, I mean units are exchanging fire, they have casualties, etc. You can still outflank your enemies, etc. The same with the choppers that have ran out of fuel.

If they have to land in the middle of the jungle, will opponents suddenly be spawned out of nowhere to threaten them, or do they have to actually be positioned there from the start (or moved there by the a.i. later) for that to happen?

We will try to provide best AI possible, but still, we are a team of four people.. Do not expect something that will change game industry forever ;)

Despite all of that, we still want to provide a game that has a good narrative layer. So.. yes, some key events will be scripted, some decisions will have to be made etc. Sorry, but Vietnam war is just to interesting to make a game set in it, that is only a pure sim with no content. That's my general vision - to merge sim with narrative experience.

I would gladly offer a few seats in our upcoming alpha/beta tests to give you the opportunity to decide if it's good or if it's shit :) Just give me know here or in PM.

That's all for now and I really hope that you have understand my answer, more or less, since I'm not a native speaker and still learning.

Best regards
Jacob

braaaur

Serious Sim
Developer
Radio Commander is landing on Kickstarter!

March 12th 2019 - Warsaw, Poland - Serious Sim and Game Operators are proud to announce that Radio Commander is now landing on Kickstarter, giving players the exciting chance to help funding the developers' effort while, at the same time, enjoying exclusive content!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playway/radio-commander-use-radio-commands-to-lead-your-tr/

The game has been on Steam for only five months now and we have received an incredible amount of support and appreciation for the project, from our community as well as from specialized press.
Hence, we have decided to get closer to the community and give them the chance to influence the development (via Stretch Goals) and get their hands on an early version of the game (via the Demo available in some pledges). Kickstarter is the tool we need.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Release on October 10th: https://steamcommunity.com/games/871530/announcements/detail/1591382041199782599

Radio Commander has a release date!
Hello Radio Commanders!

Thanks to your support, we are approaching the end of the project! Radio Commander will be officially released on October 10th 2019! We will send all the codes and all the rewards shortly after.

Thank you very much for your patience and we hope that you'll enjoy what we have prepared for you.

Best regards! RC crew

c903e66090bb2a029ae6f9f2dd522f3b505b5f0c.png

PS. Great guys from Jutsu Games/Games Operators, creators of 911 Operator, are back with 112 Operator! We think you might be interested and become a backer of their new game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gameops/112-operator-sequel-to-911-operator

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Holy Shit game is basically scripted Commie Propaganda, Devs promised dynamicity and yet Alpha platoon dies in pseudo supposed to be sad scripted event that even San Francisco Hipster could write better, Obligatory War Crime scenes from USA with One Token North Vietnamese war crime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom