Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
The issue is, and has always been for me, is that the music in fallout was atmospheric tragic wasteland themes, the Ink Spots on the intro was to reflect the dichotomy of the retro futurist forward looking hope for the future era with the dreaded reality of the bombs falling and everything turning to shit and humanity trying to eke out an existence before finally sputtering out completely. It was the dying throes of civilisation as we regressed to barbaric tribes using high tech components as clubs to beat each other upside the head because they were heavy and smashy enough. The small pockets, remnants of civilized life like junktown, having tied together enough people willing to band together to attempt at making a decent life for those that would obey some set of social norms all the way down to the boneyard, scavengers living off of a dead city but keeping up some semblance of society, the ambient music really helped to impress the mood of the game which, to me, was desperation and solemness, the loneliness of the wasteland and how dangerous it was.

Keep the 70's theme song if it helps set the mood, but hire a competent artist to create ambient tracks for the rest of the game, Fo and Fo2 had 1 Ink spots song each, the rest was Mark Morgans music that helped to set the mood and tone of the game world, Fo3 was retarded THEMEPARK!! game with its radio shit that was jarring.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Actually I read it more as the 50s being post WW2 showcasing the we just survived the Apocalypse attitudes of post-War Western Countries and the attitudes of a war like that could never happen again could it? all of a sudden War never changes. The thing to remember is that Fallout's universe wasn't stuck in the 50s rather the 50s was the jumping off point for Fallouts lore which is where I feel Bethesda got completely sidetracked by, even more showcased with how pre-War Fallout looks in Fallout 4. Interplay however was trying to use the 50s Nostalgia to showcase that even despite surviving world war 2 the nature of humanity would lead us right back there again, which is seen in 2077. It themes Fallout 1 perfectly for that reason.

And Bethesda completely fucked that up.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
How are mods supposed to work with this shit pile? If modders can't fix it, it's going to be a catastrophe; it's a major part of why people play their rubbish. If you can't fuck anime NPCs with a Thomas the Tank Engine nuclear-powered dildo, what's even the point? Oh wait, I guess there aren't going to be NPCs anyway?

Edit: Oh, it's going to be a private server thing, hahaha. "100x XP TONY HAWK NAKED PLAYER DOUBLE NUKE SERVER (1/8) [Password Required]"

Tehdagah

Arcane
Bethesda isn't even lauching their hype machine that much with this game. Is this thing just an experiment for them ? One they are not willing to bet too much on ?
They seem lost with thing. It seems they are on a "wanted the cake and eat it too" position, they didn't want to go 100% multiplayer pvp and wanted to make it similar enough to Fallout 4 to not scare people away so the game is a weird hybrid of a game that doesn't invest enough on the pvp side or the singleplayer style exploration so it is bad on both fronts. So many awful design decisions if they wanted to have a functional pvp.
It's a co-op game.

Friday.13

Educated
The best possible outcome will be player actually can mod the game, but only with mods that are on bethesda.net, but more likely is creation club content are all you will ever get as mods in F76.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Some of the videos coming out about their new Engine are disgusting. The level of shilling is beyond insanity. I'm very pleased that at the minimum the comment sections are filled with "are they fucking serious with this shit?" means the consumer is becoming aware of how Bethesda are as a company. The fact that they're releasing the game the same week that RDR2 launches I anticipate a very bad release for them, so they'll need all the retarded youtube shills they can get.

Turjan

Arcane
Juicehead made a poll on his channel. Most of his viewers either love or like what they see of the game. I guess the game has its audience.

I know that I won't buy the game (a pure multiplayer game isn't something I'm ever interested in), but I wouldn't be surprised if Toddler laughed all the way to the bank again.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
The best possible outcome will be player actually can mod the game, but only with mods that are on bethesda.net, but more likely is creation club content are all you will ever get as mods in F76.
People keep saying this but I don't know how it'd even work. The mod tools need to be distributed to modders at some point to get Creation Club content made. A lot of Creation Club partners for F4/SkyrimSE hate the Creation Club and only do it for the money and don't really approve of the idea of paid mods. That shit would get leaked within minutes.

How are mods supposed to work with this shit pile? If modders can't fix it, it's going to be a catastrophe; it's a major part of why people play their rubbish. If you can't fuck anime NPCs with a Thomas the Tank Engine nuclear-powered dildo, what's even the point? Oh wait, I guess there aren't going to be NPCs anyway?
We'll see in a year at the earliest. Most likely scenario is that F4 landmass mods like Arcadia/Miami/New Vegas get ported over and adapted for 76. Overhauls like Horizon and Frost get ported and become very popular. Typical armor/weapon mods but not much beyond that. This is still fundamentally Radiant Quests the game.

Friday.13

Educated
People keep saying this but I don't know how it'd even work. The mod tools need to be distributed to modders at some point to get Creation Club content made. A lot of Creation Club partners for F4/SkyrimSE hate the Creation Club and only do it for the money and don't really approve of the idea of paid mods. That shit would get leaked within minutes.
That's why F76 is going to be a always online game, by make sure player only allowed to play in a server that is connected to bethesda.net, and a server have any non-bethesda.net mod installed will not be able to start up, and that's the way it going to work.
And yes, even a private server will still need to connect to bethesda.net and there won't be any kind of offline mode, so unless they change their mind at some point, players at best will only have mods on bethesda.net to play with, no matter which server they are in.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Juicehead made a poll on his channel. Most of his viewers either love or like what they see of the game. I guess the game has its audience.

I know that I won't buy the game (a pure multiplayer game isn't something I'm ever interested in), but I wouldn't be surprised if Toddler laughed all the way to the bank again.
One thing is to say you are interested on a game, another one is to keep player retention, the game is a weird hybrid of a popamole open world single player shooter and multiplayer game not being good enough on both fronts, the pvp seems pointless because you really don't get anything out of it beyond junk or be marked as an asshole (maybe there is value to grief retards online but if you bought a Bethesda game at launch, you deserve a Very Special Person badge so that is a bad idea anyway) . Bethesda claims only a small group of player will be on the same giant map, taking in consideration that there are no dedicated pve and pvp servers, half of those people won't want to fight you, so exciting... there are much better options if you want pvp.

About the "content" to explore, what is the point of exploring empty places filled with prosper looking not raiders with heavy asset flipping from Fallout 4 and Skyrim? The game doesn't even look decent for a 2018 game in terms of graphix. So, most of the sheep that pre ordered this mess will run out of content pretty quickly, especially if they are doing co-op as the game seems to be come a walk in the park with other people. You run out of "content" (if you can call empty recycled buildings from Fallout 4 content) on less than one week then you will do multiplayer pvp with Fallout 4 AMAZING shooting model with heavy doses of latency... that is so fucking great.

Risewild

Arbiter
Even a Early Access game released in 2014 and has a "mixed" rate on Steam looks much better than Fallout 76 from what I've seen on videos for both:

You have better graphics, functional vehicles, weapons look like weapons, better building system (it seems you can actually build things resembling houses if you want), you can apparently grab animals like chicken and take them with you, etc...

Fallout 76 seems really outdated in terms of graphics and lack of features. But hey, at least we can launch nukes and play in Snowflake Pacifist mode...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
if you bought a Bethesda game at launch, you deserve a Very Special Person badge
I bought Morrowind at launch, now cough up my very speshul person badge! :obviously:

Ironically tho, NiuBethesda has the uncanny ability to make each of their games worse with every patch they apply, because the only coder left to do it has apparently shitty documentation how everything is tied together. Unless you are one of the unlucky few that has a gamestopping bug and no clue how to fix it with the built-in console, you are actually better off to use the "plunder edition" and never patch it.

Or call yourself the lucky one, because a higher being wanted to prevent you from playing it.

Turjan

Arcane

One thing is to say you are interested on a game, another one is to keep player retention, the game is a weird hybrid of a popamole open world single player shooter and multiplayer game not being good enough on both fronts, the pvp seems pointless because you really don't get anything out of it beyond junk or be marked as an asshole (maybe there is value to grief retards online but if you bought a Bethesda game at launch, you deserve a Very Special Person badge so that is a bad idea anyway) . Bethesda claims only a small group of player will be on the same giant map, taking in consideration that there are no dedicated pve and pvp servers, half of those people won't want to fight you, so exciting... there are much better options if you want pvp.

About the "content" to explore, what is the point of exploring empty places filled with prosper looking not raiders with heavy asset flipping from Fallout 4 and Skyrim? The game doesn't even look decent for a 2018 game in terms of graphix. So, most of the sheep that pre ordered this mess will run out of content pretty quickly, especially if they are doing co-op as the game seems to be come a walk in the park with other people. You run out of "content" (if you can call empty recycled buildings from Fallout 4 content) on less than one week then you will do multiplayer pvp with Fallout 4 AMAZING shooting model with heavy doses of latency... that is so fucking great.
I agree with the points you make, but does it matter? It's a full price game you have to buy up front. It's mostly made from recycled assets. DLCs are supposed to be free. Who cares about player retention. They would have to deliver on the free DLC for that to happen. I guess they would be delighted to see player retention, but I don't think they need it to make big bucks here.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
if you bought a Bethesda game at launch, you deserve a Very Special Person badge
I bought Morrowind at launch, now cough up my very speshul person badge! :obviously:
I still have that little ordinator because, for some reason, the store where I bought it sold the collector's edition cheaper than the normal one (it was an advertised promotion, so not an error). I remember that my PC was below the minimum specs. Surprisingly, it still ran. Well, crawled.

Ironically tho, NiuBethesda has the uncanny ability to make each of their games worse with every patch they apply, because the only coder left to do it has apparently shitty documentation how everything is tied together. Unless you are one of the unlucky few that has a gamestopping bug and no clue how to fix it with the built-in console, you are actually better off to use the "plunder edition" and never patch it.

Or call yourself the lucky one, because a higher being wanted to prevent you from playing it.
I sometimes wonder whether they are just testing what they can get away with. A lot, I guess.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
NiuBethesda is just being capitalist as fuck.

"Does fixing the bug make us more money? No? Don't spend time fixing it then." Bugs only get fixed if they would interfere with the initial reaction/DLC sales. The majoritiy of their target audience has the attention span of a ferret anyways. They don't play long enough to run into the classic Beth problems like tons of script artifacts without a killswitch piling up in the background.

Probably one of the reasons they axed NPCs in FO76 .
FO4 had the notorious bug of settlers being stuck at trying to initiate dialog with you, from when you were close to them several hours ago. Blocking other radiant stuff to happen.
Or Skyrim, where running away from the smith mid-conversation in the beginning prevented the preacher from talking. Forever. No "Talos the almight!". Actually incline come to think of it..

How those two were even linked is a mystery.

So Beth plays it safe for FO76: holotapes and terminals don't have a radiant AI to keep track of. Less risk of rollbacks after a few months. :hahano:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
People complaining about lore retcons must have taken a break from Bethesda Fallout. If you have any knowledge of Fallout 4, you know that Bethesda changes things around as they see fit, and not even the lore within a single game is consistent. Anyway...

I like how he bends over backwards to make clear that "he really likes the game"...

Oh, those hardships of being a YouTuber who gets special treatment by a developer :D

lmao he says 'i'm gonna put 100 hours into this and enjoy them but will it get repetitive after those 100 hours?'

As if 100 hours into a game isn't more than enough wtf is this mentality

Turjan

Arcane
lmao he says 'i'm gonna put 100 hours into this and enjoy them but will it get repetitive after those 100 hours?'

As if 100 hours into a game isn't more than enough wtf is this mentality
Well, he is a YouTuber, so he might have different priorities. Fallout 4 had a constant stream of mods coming which changed stuff up. I'm sure he is worried that there's nothing to make videos about anymore after a short while, unlike Fallout 4, where he seems to have been making videos for years now.

Not that that matters much for anyone else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom