Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New indie RPG

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Hi I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not please direct me to a better spot.
I've been making a turn based isometric RPG for a few months, to come out on the PC and mobile.

heres what it currently looks like

Yes its very generic, I'm the first to admit that. Though at this early stage I've just been working on getting the engine up and running and not focusing so much on the gameplay elements, but now I'm at that stage where I'm reasonably happy with how it currently is and thus will look into more of the gameplay.
So I'm asking help from yous, the RPG experts, what sort of elements or ideas would you like to see in this game?
I'm open to any ideas at this early stage.

Cheers Zed

Last edited by a moderator:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Turn-based isometric RPG is generally already too much to ask from RPG devs. Really not overjoyed it's a mobile game but anyway, one thing which would make me more interested in this game is if I can create my party from the start unlike in all those DATING SIM rpgs out there like Divinity : Original Sin and such.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I've just been working on getting the engine up and running and not focusing so much on the gameplay elements, but now I'm at that stage where I'm reasonably happy with how it currently is and thus will look into more of the gameplay.

That action seemed very stuttery. I think the operatic music is probably heavily copyrighted too. But my biggest concern would be the indistinctiveness of the characters on-screen: they're all dark brown/grey/black, fighting on a brown background which is placed on its own grey background. Its all so indistinctive and dreary.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
> Consistent rules
> Environmental effects
> Extensive spells and abilities
> Good encounter/level design

Fuck, I don't even need C&C or a mind-blowing storyline (although that'll be nice to have). Just gib gud mechanics and encounter design first plz.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The mobile part kind of... well, makes quite a few things impossible and terminally curbs my enthusiasm.

But in general, you have pretty O.K. looking game there. If I was to make a combat-heavy RPG, the one thing I'd add is more feedback in combat so it isn't so static. You know, guys being knocked down and thrown back, shields being broken, weapons breaking, guys catching fire etc. If the meat of your game is fighting stuff, it certainly helps if it looks fun. Death animations would be great to have. Dismemberment and the works.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Just remember to have crafting and talent trees and hermaphrodites.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
1. The main antagonist should be a white male.
2. The leader of the good side - a strong female. Bonus points if she's black and/or lesbian.
3. Do not overcomplicate game-mechanics. New trend is geometrical shapes. So circle could be the worst stat, and star of david - the best.
4. Do not add complex plot or non-linear progression. All this choices and consiquences fad is overrated anyway.
5. Add loot boxes, the more the better. Nothing is more exciting than getting an uber-mega-gear for a measly donation of 1 dollah or even less!
6. Consider making limited (but available for purchase) resource, like energy or stamina, so people would need to take a break from your game. It's good for their health.

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Turn-based isometric RPG is generally already too much to ask from RPG devs. Really not overjoyed it's a mobile game but anyway, one thing which would make me more interested in this game is if I can create my party from the start unlike in all those DATING SIM rpgs out there like Divinity : Original Sin and such.
Cheers mate, Its more a PC game as thats what I'm working on first, though I'm keeping the possibility in the back of my mind of making it mobile as well, since it doesnt use the keyboard etc to interact and is not a fast action game.
Yes you create a party at the start i.e. noone else joins it

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
I've just been working on getting the engine up and running and not focusing so much on the gameplay elements, but now I'm at that stage where I'm reasonably happy with how it currently is and thus will look into more of the gameplay.

That action seemed very stuttery. I think the operatic music is probably heavily copyrighted too. But my biggest concern would be the indistinctiveness of the characters on-screen: they're all dark brown/grey/black, fighting on a brown background which is placed on its own grey background. Its all so indistinctive and dreary.
The stutter is from the application I use to record the video from the screen, I think it records at 30fps and compresses on the fly so quite testing for the CPU, the music is just what was playing in the background and has nothing to do with the game. Thanks for the comment about the looks, I do agree somewhat, but as I'm not an artist and are using characters that others have made, my choices are limited. I'm just a single guy who can't afford to employ anyone to do models etc

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
> Consistent rules
> Environmental effects
> Extensive spells and abilities
> Good encounter/level design

Fuck, I don't even need C&C or a mind-blowing storyline (although that'll be nice to have). Just gib gud mechanics and encounter design first plz.
I hope the rules will be consistent, there is an element of chance with things though. Environmental FX, like rain, snow?
Yeah I'm wanting to have a lot of spells, I'm not quite sure of how to gain new spell abilities though, either leveling up or my finding a new scroll and learning it, not sure what ppl prefer
Can't promise anything about the level design, its just me and I already work a fulltime 48 hour week job, so don't have a lot of time to work on this, plus I record music also in my spare time.

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
The mobile part kind of... well, makes quite a few things impossible and terminally curbs my enthusiasm.

But in general, you have pretty O.K. looking game there. If I was to make a combat-heavy RPG, the one thing I'd add is more feedback in combat so it isn't so static. You know, guys being knocked down and thrown back, shields being broken, weapons breaking, guys catching fire etc. If the meat of your game is fighting stuff, it certainly helps if it looks fun. Death animations would be great to have. Dismemberment and the works.
Cheers, like I said to someone else PC is my main focus, though it would be possible for me to maybe add a mobile build later.
So if a shield/sword is broken, then thats it, its useless or does it just operate at reduced capacity? Do ppl like this, I was reading in the latest zelda game, this is one of the major complaints ppl had with the game.
Characters catching fire is certainly possible, dismemberment etc would be too difficult to do, as I'm the only one working on this game and that sort of stuff is very time intensive

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
1. The main antagonist should be a white male.
2. The leader of the good side - a strong female. Bonus points if she's black and/or lesbian.
3. Do not overcomplicate game-mechanics. New trend is geometrical shapes. So circle could be the worst stat, and star of david - the best.
4. Do not add complex plot or non-linear progression. All this choices and consiquences fad is overrated anyway.
5. Add loot boxes, the more the better. Nothing is more exciting than getting an uber-mega-gear for a measly donation of 1 dollah or even less!
6. Consider making limited (but available for purchase) resource, like energy or stamina, so people would need to take a break from your game. It's good for their health.
Hey have you been looking at all my game ideas! :P
Though WRT different sexs/races etc I think sometimes it makes it easier for the player to distinguish the personalities of the characters, instead of having 6 heavily muscled 30 yr old guys who are all similar. True this is closer to what reality is in the Army or whatever, but a game aint reality

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What...why would you name your thread like this? Does your game not have a title?

Tigranes

Arcane
Why are you asking us for key gameplay elements? You must be passionate about what kind of game you want to make, right? You can solicit our feedback, but do you not have preferences on major issues like story focus v. combat, turn-based vs. real-time?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Wow, you made the engine on your own? I like the combat, because it's turn-based and shows the move order with pictures on top. You can do anything from here, dude. Let your imagination flow like the blood of your enemies. Do you really want to make a game someone thought of for you? My single piece of advice would be making a solid role-playing system by using your math skills, like, no dump stats, lots of skills, perks, traits, spells, talents, most of them not useless, working in tandem, doing cool stuff in combat, in dialogues, in creating stuff or spells or stuff like that, etc. When you have that, you can go anywhere. We began with a hastily made GURPS-like \ SPECIAL-esque system that wasn't really thought through, and that made us return to it dozen of times, take multiple player and codexian suggestions and stuff like that until we were somewhat happy with it. We had a few months when you could not shoot a chicken with no armor or dodge, point blank in the face with an assault rifle, because the numbers were all wrong. Making a system work like clockwork from the very beginning will save tons of time and nerves. Good luck!

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Why are you asking us for key gameplay elements? You must be passionate about what kind of game you want to make, right? You can solicit our feedback, but do you not have preferences on major issues like story focus v. combat, turn-based vs. real-time?
Fair enuf, though I did say it was a turn based game, its not going to be story based as those games tend to not interest me. I like games more for the gaming aspect and not so much the story, this is with all types of games not just RPGs

SiegfriedsTod

Educated
Wow, you made the engine on your own? I like the combat, because it's turn-based and shows the move order with pictures on top. You can do anything from here, dude. Let your imagination flow like the blood of your enemies. Do you really want to make a game someone thought of for you? My single piece of advice would be making a solid role-playing system by using your math skills, like, no dump stats, lots of skills, perks, traits, spells, talents, most of them not useless, working in tandem, doing cool stuff in combat, in dialogues, in creating stuff or spells or stuff like that, etc. When you have that, you can go anywhere. We began with a hastily made GURPS-like \ SPECIAL-esque system that wasn't really thought through, and that made us return to it dozen of times, take multiple player and codexian suggestions and stuff like that until we were somewhat happy with it. We had a few months when you could not shoot a chicken with no armor or dodge, point blank in the face with an assault rifle, because the numbers were all wrong. Making a system work like clockwork from the very beginning will save tons of time and nerves. Good luck!
Cheers mate, The engine is Unity, the programming is all mine though. Of course I want to make my own game but input from more ppl will lead to a better game I think, I'm not a person with all the answers.
You're correct get the basis working right first and then build a game from there, I'm a game maker with over 20 years experience I've learnt the hard way

Tigranes

Arcane
Fair enuf, though I did say it was a turn based game, its not going to be story based as those games tend to not interest me. I like games more for the gaming aspect and not so much the story, this is with all types of games not just RPGs

I don't mean to shit on you, just genuinely curious as to what level of feedback you're looking for. (Also, the OP video no longer plays.)

SiegfriedsTod

Educated

I don't mean to shit on you, just genuinely curious as to what level of feedback you're looking for. (Also, the OP video no longer plays.)
Shit away I have a very thick skin.
Sure everyones tastes are different eg I loath story based games, If I want story I read a book or watch a film :)
Im just wanting some feedback of how its looking, what you would change, remove, add etc. Im not the most well versed in RPGs unlike yous who I expect have far more knowledge about this, I am open to whatever anyone saiz, if its not too much work I will consider adding it to the game.
The video should be working perhaps view it in youtube

btw I made a rough outline here
http://zedzeek.com/RPG/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom