Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Origins - it's an RPG now

Quillon

Arcane
Played the first, same shit on a much smaller new map.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having played no Assassin's Creed game previously, I decided to buy Origins, because I was curious about all the Witcher 3 comparisons, RPG elements, and ancient Egypt setting (also, it was only $10). And yeah, it does play like The Witcher 3... if Witcher 3 kinda sucked.

In TW3 there was this strong narrative layer that held everything together, and even when the gameplay was kinda meh, you still were involved because the stuff that you did was rooted in this narrative layer, and by extension in the game world.

Here this layer is very weak or missing altogether which means a lot of activities (forts to infiltrate, wild animal to kill in their lairs, etc.) on the map are "just there". You can do them if you want, or not do them... whatever, the game does not care. But you probably should do them because you need those XP, since anything three levels above you is ubeatable - a really old school RPG mechanic, except here used with no rhyme or reason behind the levels. Generic bandit might be level 4 or 14 (while looking the same) but you can kill the former in two hits while the latter one is a god of war until you level up. This really breaks the immersion (dirty word, I know), makes the game world unbelievable and, well, gamey - wasting all the effort put into those gorgeous graphics, NPC routines, etc. This could be the ancient Egypt I always wanted, and it is almost there, but... not.

Yeah, The Witcher 3 had the same problem (those level 40 wolves in Toussaint can fuck right off, same with level-scaling city guards), but with slightly wider level margin, which made this problem much less annoying. I once sneak-attacked a skull-marked guy on a charriot, then after realizing I am aunable to beat him (I dealt ~3 damage per hit to him, while he took almost all my life bar in one swing), I stole a horse and tried to run away. He mounted another horse and started to chase me. And damn, he was relentless, like a fucking terminator. No matter how far I ran away, he kept chasing me, through fields of grain and into the desert. Eventually, he caught up and cut me down in one hit. It was funny, it was even fun, but it was stupid and gamey. Such stuff makes the difference between the feeling of exploring a "real" place (Novigrad) and just fucking around in a game world.

But damn, it is a beautiful, beautiful game. It is a pleasure just riding around on a camel (you get a camel!) and watching NPCs do their stuff, or using the eagle-scouting ability to observe everything from above. I will probably keep playing for now, if only to see more of Alexandria and its surroundings. I would also like to see more of the story. So far it has been pretty mediocre and geared towards teenagers (despite "mature" rating), but I heard that is pretty much in league with previous AC games.

tl;dr: Game is flawless, until you start interacting with it, then it becomes a very mixed bag. Also, a camel.

troupeg

Educated
Having played no Assassin's Creed game previously, I decided to buy Origins, because I was curious about all the Witcher 3 comparisons, RPG elements, and ancient Egypt setting (also, it was only $10). And yeah, it does play like The Witcher 3... if Witcher 3 kinda sucked.

In TW3 there was this strong narrative layer that held everything together, and even when the gameplay was kinda meh, you still were involved because the stuff that you did was rooted in this narrative layer, and by extension in the game world.

Here this layer is very weak or missing altogether which means a lot of activities (forts to infiltrate, wild animal to kill in their lairs, etc.) on the map are "just there". You can do them if you want, or not do them... whatever, the game does not care. But you probably should do them because you need those XP, since anything three levels above you is ubeatable - a really old school RPG mechanic, except here used with no rhyme or reason behind the levels. Generic bandit might be level 4 or 14 (while looking the same) but you can kill the former in two hits while the latter one is a god of war until you level up. This really breaks the immersion (dirty word, I know), makes the game world unbelievable and, well, gamey - wasting all the effort put into those gorgeous graphics, NPC routines, etc. This could be the ancient Egypt I always wanted, and it is almost there, but... not.

Yeah, The Witcher 3 had the same problem (those level 40 wolves in Toussaint can fuck right off, same with level-scaling city guards), but with slightly wider level margin, which made this problem much less annoying. I once sneak-attacked a skull-marked guy on a charriot, then after realizing I am aunable to beat him (I dealt ~3 damage per hit to him, while he took almost all my life bar in one swing), I stole a horse and tried to run away. He mounted another horse and started to chase me. And damn, he was relentless, like a fucking terminator. No matter how far I ran away, he kept chasing me, through fields of grain and into the desert. Eventually, he caught up and cut me down in one hit. It was funny, it was even fun, but it was stupid and gamey. Such stuff makes the difference between the feeling of exploring a "real" place (Novigrad) and just fucking around in a game world.

But damn, it is a beautiful, beautiful game. It is a pleasure just riding around on a camel (you get a camel!) and watching NPCs do their stuff, or using the eagle-scouting ability to observe everything from above. I will probably keep playing for now, if only to see more of Alexandria and its surroundings. I would also like to see more of the story. So far it has been pretty mediocre and geared towards teenagers (despite "mature" rating), but I heard that is pretty much in league with previous AC games.

tl;dr: Game is flawless, until you start interacting with it, then it becomes a very mixed bag. Also, a camel.

The story of Origins is really only strong if you're invested in the overall Assassins Creed story as it shows the "origins" of the Brotherhood of Assassins.

Same with Odyssey, only the HARDCORE fans will care about the story, as it has no assassins at all, cuz it takes place 200+ years before Origins but gives background into the main series villians and the macguffin items in the series.

So yeah, the story is really only there for the fans, but the actual gameplay loop is for eveerything

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Same with Odyssey, only the HARDCORE fans will care about the story, as it has no assassins at all, cuz it takes place 200+ years before Origins but gives background into the main series villians and the macguffin items in the series.

You're right, AC Odyssey is so far removed from the "story" (I put that in quotes because I think the story is so bad, so terribad, that calling a story without some qualifiiers) that it is easy to ignore.

That may not be a coincidence.

I've seen some amount of the biggest NEETs and weirdos on the Ubi forums complain that there isn't any love given to the "modern" story, the Abstergo and the other bullshit in the game. The main plot hardly even touches the earlier plot of the AC games.

In fact, it is very easy to imagine this game as being a reboot of the series. And if it is successful, it might just become an actual reboot. I think the devs want to go in that direction, but don't really know how, so this game may be the result of a compromise.

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part, because I like the idea of huge single-player fantasy RPGs and want more of them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Plz let's not talk about Origins/Odyssey being an RPG, not on Codex. The world is still just as paper thin and the NPCs still feel like a bunch of pixels (which is what they actually are in the Animus). You don't give a fuck about anything happening in this world. You massacre dozens of civilians with your war chariot in the streets of Alexandria and nothing ever happens, no repercussions, they'll just respawn. Bleh.

Unless they abandon this no-man's-land of being neither the old theme park action-adventure AC (which I actually liked) nor a full blown RPG it'll feel empty, shallow and pointless.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
No, that's not true at all. And we're talking about Assassin's Creed here so I don't think that's the stance to take in this conversation. :roll:

OK, I'll try to spoonfeed you what I mean.

I wrote, and I quote: "I like the idea of huge single-player fantasy RPGs and want more of them".

You wrote: "That's the majority of RPGs out there so I think you're covered."

Obviously that's not true at all. Most RPGs are not open-world single player games. Pillars of Eternity to TToN, from Divinity OS (both of them) to Deus Ex MD. There's just a *handful* of open-world RPGs available and most of them are old as dirt. I'd like to see *more* of that kind of games.

So yes, my statement was absolutely 100% true.

And no, we're not actually talking about the Assassin's Creed series, because this game has only the name in common. This is an RPG, the rest is not.

Falksi

Arcane

See I''d say TW3 was actually the worse of the 2 for it's approach, because Geralt is already an established character.

You talk about breaking immersion, but for me it was FAR more immersion breaking seeing a bloke who'd bested a Kayran & Dragon in the previous installment get battered by a few guards.

TW3 was a weak finish to everything, and should have focussed way more on the Wild Hunt. Powerful, dangerous enemies who you could understand beating Geralt. Not Chaz & Dave the spod guards from Novinspod.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most RPGs are not open-world single player games.
Huge =/= open world. You're no savant of the English language yourself.

But hey, if you want more AssCreed games with RPG elements, be my guest. Ubisoft will definitely have you covered.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Huge =/= open world. You're no savant of the English language yourself.

When people who fail at reading comprehension (in language X) try to make a point about other people's skill in language X.

/facepalm/

It wouldn't have had to qualify the "huge" if you had fucking played the game I'm referring to instead of NPCing "hur dur Ass creed dummm". It's an open world game. Something you would have noticed, had you in fact played it.

But you haven't. Yet you grace us with your opinion of it. GG assburger.

But hey, if you want more AssCreed games with RPG elements, be my guest. Ubisoft will definitely have you covered.

So not only is your assburger attempt at parsing language a fail, you don't even understand the context. Why are you even replying? Do you think your opinion in particularly interesting? It's not.

You clearly didn't play the game, because it's ASS CREED amrite? They're all the same amirite?

:deathclaw:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You clearly didn't play the game, because it's ASS CREED amrite? They're all the same amirite?
Bravo, you managed to fit in as many meme insults as you can throw.

I just abbreviate AssCreed like that because it's funny, don't know why you got your knickers in a twist. Same reason why I'm replying by the way, it's funny now. Either way I don't think I was ever wrong when I said Ubisoft has you covered. This game seems to get good reputation so you'll definitely get more of this ilk. I would like it to be more palatable to me though, I can't stand the way AssCreed games feel. A new series of mythological games, but that's wishful thinking.

Every time I try to play one of these designed-by-committee Ubishit abominations I can't help but marvel at what an absurd fucking waste of tech they are.

I played a little bit of Asscreed Origins today and it's really a beautiful techical showcase (with one of the best HDR implementations I've seen yet), but as a game it's a fucking pile of shit, with inconsequential 'gameplay' that a trained monkey could execute to perfection.

The only reasonable conclusion that you can draw from it is: "what's the fucking point"? And they throw this shit out year after year, selling millions. What a goddamn waste.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
So,

Concept Art:

Yia8kRA.jpg

mB4fS1I.jpg

xuc3fcj.jpg

Final Game:

2agp42J.jpg

-_-

BOOOO!!

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
xuc3fcj.jpg

That assassin's creed hood

:imperialscum:

(thankfully not really appearing in the game, there's a hood optional, but doesn't really look like that and is very much *optional*)

But yeah, the concept art otherwise looks like what is in the game. What's your point?

Tomatohead

Learned
Did you .. what? I have played the game for ages and it's pretty good for what it is: it's typical AAA excrement with lot of grinding and microtransactions. The fact it has multiple conversation choices doesn't make it any more 'rpg' than the fact it has 'levels' or whatnot. It's pretty and entertaining but after 20 hours I got burned out and before that I was swearing I will play until the very end. It's damn good looking though. Misthios... I love Misthios...

:backawayslowly:

I can see how Ubisoft combines different modules from their own games. They have combined Wildlands and Far Cry 5 together with Assassin's Creed and I swear they use same algorithms and functions for AI and so on between the games. They were also developing it at the same time with Origins - talk about saving money and making game development more like working in a sausage factory. This game is a Product. They give team A the Origins and team B got Odyssey. Then they swap around some assets and borrow code and both team end up with bit different version. Then just slap in a different title well both of them start with O... Misthios.. O-...

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
This game is a Product.

Yes. Of course it is.

it's typical AAA excrement with lot of grinding and microtransactions.

No. Not really. It's got no more grinding than Ultima V. Microtransactions are optional, and dumb.

The fact it has multiple conversation choices doesn't make it any more 'rpg' than the fact it has 'levels' or whatnot.

It's as much an RPG as Mass Effect.

Then they swap around some assets and borrow code and both team end up with bit different version.

Yes. Of course they do. Why would they not?

I can see how Ubisoft combines different modules from their own games.

Yes. Again. Why would they not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom