Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
On Medium (and probably Easy) difficulty the Alien is introduced with a scripted event in Chapter 2, but it actually doesn't become a gameplay element at this time (that doesn't happen until that scripted event in Medical during Chapter 5). As far as I've determined it's impossible to trigger the Alien to do anything during that scripted scene except play its part and then despawn.

On Hard difficulty however, it is possible for the Alien to appear in that area before the scripted event. It can arrive as early as the scene where you get the revolver. It can also arrive in Chapter 3 if you make too much noise while trying to get past all the Working Joes on the lower floor of Communications. There are probably other cases where the Alien crashes the scene, so to say, but I can't recall them at the moment.

This impromptu alien entrance technically breaks the flow of the game, and is very likely to mess up the Alien's first scripted event in humorous ways. I haven't tried Nightmare mode yet, so no comment on that.

Another interesting bit is the scripted scene in Chapter 5 where the Alien first becomes a gameplay element. During it's drop-and-rise-menacingly animation it's effectively blind, but not deaf. If you panic at that moment and run the fuck away from it, it will know exactly where you are and hunt you down like a bitch. If you manage to hide from it, it will stomp about in a permamently agitated state. Trying to complete Chapter 5 under these circumstances is next to impossible. But... during that scripted animation, if you casually walk towards and hide in the nearest cabinet (those low metallic closets) and are out of the Alien's sight by the time the animation ends, it'll be clueless to your location and start wandering around in a disinterested manner. This will make the next sections much easier to deal with.

Also, Chapters 5 and 6 is where you'll witness the worst of the 'rubber-band' effect that governs the Alien's proximity towards you. As these areas are effectively tiny in available areas to move about in, the Alien will be breathing down your neck right up until the moment you open the door at the Security desk close to Dr. Lingard's office - at that point the Alien will have access to that area of Medical with the circular hallways and those juicy survivors who shoot first and ask questions later, and tend to wander about some and explore and have some juicy treats while you're off somewhere else.

Beastro

Arcane
But he's still right though, because your example requires foreknowledge and most people will only get that after they learn about it online and go out of their way to trigger it. To me that's a big missed opportunity.

Eventually you understand that there is no point in fearing each shadow as you realise that the Alien will never catch you off-guard. At some point I stopped being careful because I knew the first encounter would be telegraphed by a cutscene or some sort of scripted event. The early game felt much more intense when I feared an accidental encounter, and I realise that a game needs to communicate with the player, but surely there is a case to be made for a design that doesn't elbow you so transparently with "careful, Alien / bots around".

God damn it, let me wonder whether the Alien is on the other side of the ship and guess wrong.

The unpredicable alien mod helps with that.

And it is unpredictable in both ways. It's turns up when you don't expect and it often doesn't when you're trying to make it turn up, like using a noise maker to lure it into killing others. That both keeps you on your toes in "safe" areas as well as balancing the noise makers and giving them an element of failure the base game lacks.

The downside is it does make the tighter areas easier since it creates more room for you to do stuff without turning up less.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just started this for the first time, I have one question: is it reasonably possible to get through this without becoming a murder machine? The first couple stealth sections, it seems ridiculously easy to just wrench everybody, and just as ridiculously difficult to get through a room with 4 people's eyelines sweeping back and forth.

The game and story would be more interesting to me if A. Ripley didn't turn into the worst mass murderer of all time, but it seems prohibitively difficult to play any other way.

Beowulf

Arcane
Also - stun baton kills humans. I found out only after I finished the game, and I thought that I didn't kill any humans myself.

On the other hand, you can slaughter everyone using your most deadly weapon - the Alien.

Corvinus

Arcane
This might be a better game than most of the drivel that comes out today, but why the fuck is the alien stomping about? I make less noise myself when I come home dead drunk and fumble around in the dark after a night out! The "real" aliens are utterly silent hunters who lie in wait for the unwary. In Alien Isolation we get to be stealthier than the Xenomorph instead. Shit rating awarded for that massive oversight.

Yeah because it would've been so much fun to sneak around without a fucking clue where the creature is. Oh I know! Give us a wall hack ability, just like most modern masterpieces. That would've been a better game for sure.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Yeah because it would've been so much fun to sneak around without a fucking clue where the creature is. Oh I know! Give us a wall hack ability, just like most modern masterpieces. That would've been a better game for sure.

Or some kind of radar-like device, maybe with a limitation.
But it would be dumb to add something like the since it's mostly unnecessary when you can just stare at the alien from behind a chair.

mastroego

Arcane
It doesn't matter. They're all going to die anyway.
That kind of reasoning would make any kind of murder legal.
I've gone with my usual Pacifist run, same as Mirror's Edge and every other game where you're not really expected to kill people left and right. :)
It also happens to increase the challenge which is good for gaming.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This might be a better game than most of the drivel that comes out today, but why the fuck is the alien stomping about? I make less noise myself when I come home dead drunk and fumble around in the dark after a night out! The "real" aliens are utterly silent hunters who lie in wait for the unwary. In Alien Isolation we get to be stealthier than the Xenomorph instead. Shit rating awarded for that massive oversight.

Gameplay mechanic. My guess is that removing the footsteps would have made the Alien too hard to spot for kashul players.

The game is somewhat moddable though, so it shouldn't be too hard to remove them except for when the Alien is running.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Just started this for the first time, I have one question: is it reasonably possible to get through this without becoming a murder machine? The first couple stealth sections, it seems ridiculously easy to just wrench everybody, and just as ridiculously difficult to get through a room with 4 people's eyelines sweeping back and forth.

The game and story would be more interesting to me if A. Ripley didn't turn into the worst mass murderer of all time, but it seems prohibitively difficult to play any other way.

I dont remember having to kill any humans? I guess your talking about that first big room where there are hostile humans? Its not that hard if you just do the stealth routine, patience, hiding, check where people are walking. And as said the Alien will storm through and kill everyone anyway so if you have to kill them dont feel to bad. If you need to play the game as a "mass murderer" you are certainly doing it wrong. The vast majority of the game is fighting evil androids and dodging the Alien, as it should be.

Anyway try and soak in the scenery as you go, the representation of the movie aesthetic is stunning. All those dials and widgets and whatnot, beautiful. One of the first games I ever felt using 3D and trying to get to photo realism actually had meaning.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't kill any human.
Thanks for the encouragement; I restarted the level and got past that first batch of humans with relative ease. Who knew that everyone in the room would find a single thrown flare so endlessly fascinating? I could have done better - taking a couple bullets on the way doesn't "look right" in the movie of the game - but screw it, making medkits is why I have all these crafting mats, right? Hit points are a resource.

My strategy vs. synthetics is about the same. Sneak like a ninja 2/3 of the way across a level, get seen and run like a lunatic while getting beaten up until I somehow make it to the exit point on the 4th or 5th try. I'm looking forward to getting better at stealth but so far I'm enjoying the challenge. (And unlike getting shot I think wrestling with the synths is very cinematically appropriate.)

Between the three enemy types I've seen so far I'm very impressed by the variety of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom