Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen is now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

It's mid-October, and the highly anticipated Realms Beyond Kickstarter campaign is finally here (now with an obligatory subtitle). The guys at Ceres have put together an amazingly thorough pitch. The seven and a half minute video showcases the game's four main aspects - the OGL-based character system, the turn-based tactical combat, exploration and dialogue in an interactive living world, and the ambitious world map travel layer. It's pure grognard fan service, and it's all there, in-engine, already working. Just watch:

Introduction

Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen is a fantasy computer role-playing game with turn-based combat and a party system that allows you to control up to six characters at any one time. Whether you yearn for an open world to explore at your own pace, tactical combat that allows you to plan your moves carefully, or want to lose yourself in the rich fabric of our world, trying to survive and make your mark, Realms Beyond offers endless choices, lands to travel, monster-infested dungeons and a host of storylines to follow.

Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen is inspired by the classic RPGs of the 80s and 90s, taking the best elements of the beloved old classics and reforging them into something new in a powerful modern engine. In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun, the world exploration and camp management of Realms of Arkania, the interactivity and living world of Ultima, the choice-driven quests and reactivity of Fallout and Arcanum, and the rich NPC interaction of Baldur’s Gate and Planescape Torment, along with fresh new features that haven’t been seen before in the genre.

Realms Beyond is an RPG true to its roots, knowing that in order to reach the skies, it must stand on the shoulders of giants. But it is more than just a simple throwback to the old days: it's a new take on classic concepts of the genre, taking the best ideas of the past and adding its own fresh concepts to create a unique game with its very own atmosphere and personality.

Main Features
  • A complex turn-based combat system featuring hundreds of spells, feats and actions, based on the rules described in the (3.5e) Revised System Reference Document (SRD) covered by the Open Game License v1.0a (OGL) by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
  • Custom-built, isometric graphics engine that combines zoomable 2D and 3D technology to bring never-before-seen levels of detail to life in massive, hand-crafted levels
  • A bustling open world spanning entire continents, replete with believable NPCs, complex cultures, factions, societies and a fascinating centuries-long history
  • Create a party of up to six characters where you can choose from 7 different races and 8 different classes and completely customize their appearance, equipment, feats, and skills
  • More than one hundred spells, each with unique, stunning visual effects
  • Over a thousand individual items to use and interact with
  • An epic background story, massive quests, uncounted missions, hordes of monsters and a world that is steeped in lore and mystery
  • Create your own adventures, campaigns or even entire worlds using the powerful RPG Engine of Realms Beyond

I'm not sure anyone really believes Ceres can actually do all of this on a €100,000 budget, but after watching that video, who doesn't want to let them try? This was the promise of Chaos Chronicles, gentlemen - that tantalizing vision of the ultimate oldschool RPG. A copy of Realms Beyond can be yours for €20, €35 for Early Access, €55 for the combat beta. The game is due out in March 2020 if the campaign succeeds. Now go forth and pledge.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun, the world exploration and camp management of Realms of Arkania, the interactivity and living world of Ultima, the choice-driven quests and reactivity of Fallout and Arcanum, and the rich NPC interaction of Baldur’s Gate and Planescape Torment, along with fresh new features that haven’t been seen before in the genre.

Fabulously optimistic...

But who knows, we could use another victory like Pathfinder, considering the hopeless mess of BT4 and probable disaster of Underworld Ascendant.

Cos at this stage the nostalgia train is just about derailed. At least for me I am getting sick and tired of hearing old classic titles getting name dropped in Kickstarters.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun, the world exploration and camp management of Realms of Arkania, the interactivity and living world of Ultima, the choice-driven quests and reactivity of Fallout and Arcanum, and the rich NPC interaction of Baldur’s Gate and Planescape Torment, along with fresh new features that haven’t been seen before in the genre.

Fabulously optimistic...

But who knows, we could use another victory like Pathfinder, considering the hopeless mess of BT4 and probable disaster of Underworld Ascendant.

Cos at this stage the nostalgia train is just about derailed. At least for me I am getting sick and tired of hearing old classic titles getting name dropped in Kickstarters.
That really is an extraordinary paragraph. That said, I'm disappointed that "the historical realism of Darklands, the vast explorable space of Daggerfall, the intense challenge of Wizardry" and so forth. Feel bad for the games that were left out.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe we are about to reach the name dropping singularity. The scope of this project sounds more likely to
need a funding in the scope of Space Citizen. Or a neanderthal at the helm who just won't quit until it's done.
Or they do it like Tales of Games, adding stuff while riding into the sunset until the day they leave this mortal coil behind.
Not to say that I don't wish them the best of luck. But as stated before, it's (beyond) fabulously optimistic.
But hey, I gave less deserving projects my money. I might still chime in.

RPG Codex Fabulously Optimistic Fundraiser for Suckers? +M

Last edited:
man this could end up being a turn-based kingmaker. I am encouraged people are using the OGL license and making proper D&D based RPG's again; I think it gives the game a higher floor as long as they import most of the rules as designed.

I do not get quite as good a feeling about this game as I did kingmaker, think they have less monetary support, which just makes me worry more that it will be finished. But it looks great and will certainly support it..

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen is inspired by the classic RPGs of the 80s and 90s, taking the best elements of the beloved old classics and reforging them into something new in a powerful modern engine. In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun, the world exploration and camp management of Realms of Arkania, the interactivity and living world of Ultima, the choice-driven quests and reactivity of Fallout and Arcanum, and the rich NPC interaction of Baldur’s Gate and Planescape Torment, along with fresh new features that haven’t been seen before in the genre.

If they are smart they take this paragraph and have their updates revolve around precisely those elements to fill that nostalgia namedropping with some more substance.

"What we love about map exploration in Realms of Arkania and what we plan to do with our game.."

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is such a low energy Kickstarter that it is not even worth shitting on.

Reminder: Bugmaker raised $909,057.

Ponder that and then look at the scope for this game.

The game won't ever be made without sizeable outside funding.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is such a low energy Kickstarter that it is not even worth shitting on.

Reminder: Bugmaker raised $909,057.

Ponder that and then look at the scope for this game.

The game won't ever be made without sizeable outside funding.

I think they already got a decent chunk of it made as Chaos Chronicles. But, yeah, clearly they should’ve asked for more money.

Dyspaire

Cipher
That was arguably the best Kickstarter pitch I've ever seen.

Watched the whole 7+ minute video silently saying wow to myself over and over.

The Kickstarter page itself covered nearly every question and concern I could think of.

Ticked every box for me that can be ticked.

The entire pitch looks to be, finally, exactly what I've been waiting for all these years.

Just please, please make one of the stretch goals a robust and relatively user-friendly campaign/map editor/creator.

(And making it similarly easy to create and implement new art assets would be fantastic, too.)

For what it's worth, godspeed to the developers. I'm sold.

Finally.

Bohr

Arcane
Just please, please make one of the stretch goals a robust and relatively user-friendly campaign/map editor/creator.

(And making it similarly easy to create and implement new art assets would be fantastic, too.)

For what it's worth, godspeed to the developers. I'm sold.

Finally.

Not sure if you saw this on the KS page? (Don't know about "user friendly" but at least it sounds comprehensive compared to some of the very basic offerings some recent games have had)

Along with the game, we will also release our editing tools (the UrWelt Engine) to the players so they can create their own worlds and campaigns. Modders will be able to use the very same level editor and dialogue editor that we are using to create the game, allowing them to forge new campaigns and even new worlds with the same level of complexity as our own.

It is also possible to import your own character models, objects, textures and sounds – so a dedicated team of modders could create a completely different game scenario. We want our modding tools to be as flexible as possible, comparable to the legendary toolsets of Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures and Neverwinter Nights. The core of the UrWelt framework is the level editor, which allows you to create your own maps – from small ones with 48x48 tiles (about 5,000 m²) to gigantic ones with 512x512 tiles (about 600,000 m²). The ground can be raised or lowered to create a flat or hilly landscape, and textured and decorated with decals. Buildings can be constructed from modular walls and objects can be placed freely on the map. To create an encounter, just place a group of enemies on the map and set them to hostile. You can also place sources of light with adjustable intensity and shadows, impressive visual effects, flocks of birds, shoals of fish, lively critters, and ambient sounds to spice up the atmosphere of your map. The editor is easy to get into, and extremely powerful once you master it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom