Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Parabalus

Arcane
I don't really give a shit if it's pseudo-D&D or if it's standing on its own. All that matters is, are the mechanics good, do they facilitate meaningful tactical choices? Deadfire's elimination of attrition mechanics is to its own detriment.

I disagree. Deadfire is not a dungeon crawler like the first game. It's almost all setpiece encounters with very few trash mobs. Attrition mechanics do not work well with its design.

Seeker, Slayer, Survivor is the perfect representation of what I think Pillars 3 combat should be. Every fight should be a boss fight that requires using all your abilities and items to succeed.

This is what they should have done, instead of cucking out halfway. They'd have to just rebalance the few per rest items, and that's it basically.
Safav Hamon That is partially true, but as v1.0 POTD showed, it's very very hard to have open world, get rid of all attrition, and still maintain appropriate challenge. I don't think we'll ever get a game where even the hardest difficulty makes every battle like a boss fight for a veteran Codexer, sadly.

Have you played Seeker, Slayer, Survivor yet? It's tough at max level and there's not a single trash mob out of 40+ fights.

You have to finish Magran's Teeth for that, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.scribd.com/document/391034134/GIC-Leading-the-Charge

cJ1JLFq.jpg

:what: lol

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
They could retcon Engwithans into aliens and Eothas into Jesus and I couldn't give a slightest amount of fuck. The less pointless god lore the better.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE would've been better without any mention of any gods. When you've dedicated a whole encyclopedia to your little aborted world's gods, but DA:O still managed to do better, it's time to reconsider. I would've missed Skaen, the only interesting thing about the gods, but eh.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It did? Barely recall any gods.
Yeah, the humans' religion is basically a retelling of Christianity, but they infused enough creativity to make it count. The organized church's presence is also better integrated into the world and I found the characters' various attitudes towards it believable. PoE's attempt, however, comes off as extremely forced and fake. I cringe every time someone brings up any god.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They could retcon Engwithans into aliens and Eothas into Jesus and I couldn't give a slightest amount of fuck. The less pointless god lore the better.

It did? Barely recall any gods.
Yeah, the humans' religion is basically a retelling of Christianity, but they infused enough creativity to make it count. The organized church's presence is also better integrated into the world and I found the characters' various attitudes towards it believable. PoE's attempt, however, comes off as extremely forced and fake. I cringe every time someone brings up any god.
Partially agree. The pantheon is constructed well and the descriptions - once again, at the level of design documents only - are great, but it's at the execution level where things crumble.

At execution level - the gods should have remained a mystery, instead of being turned into participants of (badly written, and even worse-narrated) parody office meetings. The proof of this is Rymrgand - the god that remains most mysterious and most detached from the rest of the pantheon is the one that ends up being the most interesting one.

What "people", in the general sense of "mortals" and "humankind", can do and commit, while their worldview is defined by religious doctrine and manipulated by ambiguous interference by the divine - this in itself is a huuuge canvas on which to draw epic stories, which can still have their didactic or moralistic (for the player) thread to them, if the story writer wishes to include such a thread. You will find practically none of that in PoE/Deadfire though. This would have been interesting historicism, and it's what DA:O has. But, again, I am not convinced any of this could happen with these Obsidian writers.

Instead what you find is "omg huge conspiracy, the gods actually used to be people 2000 years ago! And not only that but they are cynical and indifferent to the humans", as if the player, not the player's character has to feel outraged by this and it has to serve as some sort of eye-opener for the player...? Enlightenment-era values undermined by a cabal of cynical "world government"? Obsidian, is this your idea of a captivating and original story? Not even considering your pretense of your game being a "spiritual successor" to Torment... I'm getting mad the more I think about this.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

It's the least pointless lore out of all PoE though.

How so? The first game had a lot of pointless fluff, in the second game reaped the benefits of Sawyer's historical autism and the lore relating to the mortal plane is often expertly done. Factions are interesting, coherent and fit to the setting like a glove. If you were to take out all the mystical woo-woo, it could well pass for a believable alternative universe version of the XVII-century Caribbean politics . And that's no small feat.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Factions are interesting, coherent and fit to the setting like a glove. If you were to take out all the mystical woo-woo, it could well pass for a believable alternative universe version of the XVII-century Caribbean politics.
Except the anti-racist anti-slavery hipster pirates
Yet in their defense, knowing they are based on real life hipsters changes the perspective somewhat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
PoE would've been better without any mention of any gods. When you've dedicated a whole encyclopedia to your little aborted world's gods, but DA:O still managed to do better, it's time to reconsider. I would've missed Skaen, the only interesting thing about the gods, but eh.

I like Rymrgand as well. And Skaen, while cool, is just as stock as the rest of them. Combining Loki and Cthulhu-cultism isn't exactly novel

Lacrymas

Arcane
I like Rymrgand as well. And Skaen, while cool, is just as stock as the rest of them. Combining Loki and Cthulhu-cultism isn't exactly novel

We've had quite the extensive debate (it's a split thread) of what Skaen is and how a couple of us see him. I have to see how they've handled Rymrgand in BoW to form a more concrete opinion of him.

AwesomeButton

Patron
What Skaen "is" in theory and how much of that is represented in the game are two different things, and this applies to any one of the gods.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, like I said in the other thread, the representation is of bad horror villains because Obs don't know what they've done and what they've come up with. They can't use the lore they've created well and that's sad.

Tigranes

Arcane
as v1.0 POTD showed
You mean the bugged release version which didn't scale enemy numbers? I hope you get to replaying Deadfire sooner. IMO it's the best PoE-style combat of all the games/expansions/game versions to date.

And resource management can and should be brought back, by "mods will fix it".

I did play whatever version it was that fixed it - 1.03? - and my verdict was that POTD difficulty in Deadfire was now decent, not massively different from POE1, up to level 12 or so. After that, the nonlinearity, multiclassing, and good old RPG tradition of difficulty curve breaking down mid-late game for almost every RPG in existence, comes into play.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah difficulty is now okay, even if its highly dependent on how much gamey tactics you're willling to use in order to jump ahead of the power curve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom