Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you still buy full priced games in the era of Steam sales?

Steezus

Savant
Patron
All the time. If I wanna play something right now, I wanna play something right now. No need to wait for discounts.

I D1P some stuff, but even most of my D1Ps are with a discount. Either from gray market or some sort of coupon. Off the top of my head I can't remember the last thing I bought I didn't shave a few bucks off on, might've been Slay the Spire (Which I do know I bought without any sale or trickery) and that has a full price of a princely $16. Even Pathfinder Kingmaker which was a D1P ended up running me $28 or so when I scooped it up.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Money is really not problem today. My total spending for games has become laughable, with many games refunded to Steam right away, others snatched at ridiculous discounts often giving me 100s of hours for as litte as 10 or 20$.

Most games cost less than 20$ anyway. There are also a few popamole games costing up to 100 dollars but I dont even try because the videos are enough. GTA5 was the only excpetion which I got for 20$ and spend 600 hours online, this is a special case because it defines the good and bad in todays gaming in many ways.

My real spending was in the late 1990s and 2000s when I bought several full price games a month, and they cost 80 Deutschmark at the time which would be 80€ in todays money (considering wages and prices). When I think of all the boxes and CDs that I sill have plus the ones I dont even have anymore, I would estimate I had spent at least 10,000 DM for games, between 1993 and when I discovered the decline.

do you know what i miss? full games with monthly magazines, with boxes and stuff. i guess this wasn't an italy only thing, was it? obviously not the latest games were attached but sometimes they got some cool stuff like tron 2.0, swat 4, bloodlines, arcanum, grand prix legends, fallout 2, toee (damn, i just noticed there were lots of rpgs, and all the good ones to boot), anno 1404, deus ex, thief 2, outcast...
aaaand now i loathe recent games even more than before.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
do you know what i miss? full games with monthly magazines, with boxes and stuff. i guess this wasn't an italy only thing, was it? obviously not the latest games were attached but sometimes they got some cool stuff like tron 2.0, swat 4, bloodlines, arcanum, grand prix legends, fallout 2, toee (damn, i just noticed there were lots of rpgs, and all the good ones to boot), anno 1404, deus ex, thief 2, outcast...
Hungarian magazines still add full games, altough not with boxes, just the disc. I got a lot of legendary games through these magazines (many of you mentioned above), and I was thankful for them. When I was younger there was no internet in our house, but I could still play quality games thanks to these magazines.

That said, I don't need these magazines anymore, because and I have internet and I can buy games dirt cheap, so I don't really care about these magazine game anymore.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tend to do that when i want to support the developer.

My backlog is horrendous though so i pledged a vow to stop buying games for a while now.
This is also my take on the issue pretty much. I will buy CP2077 if I get a physical copy with some special edition, though, because of the pnp Mike Pondsmith created. I've played it with the same group for the past 25+ years, and still going a few times per year.

Add in Colony Ship and Disco Eysium (latter depending on the general reception), and it'll be probably the last bunch of games for me for a few years.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I could buy games on release, provided that I like them enough and want to give them the boost.

But the sad reality is that most games lay on my "to do" -list waiting for a better time. I don't really have the time to commit to a game those days. Paradoxically most games I am interested in also are of the kind that have a learning curve. Which works poorly with the "hour or two once in a while" -kind of gayming approach.

And looking how buggy most games tend to launch those days...

Ivan

Arcane
Life is short, I've grown more liberal about dropping big bucks on titles I give a damn about (e.g. Metro, Sekiro, DMC5). Also, I've just about cleared my backlog (anything relevant I'd want to play anyway).

opener

Literate
I do not have too much time to play so the same title is just fine for me. Do not have a need to spend more money on games.

Beastro

Arcane
This past decade and the continued slide into releasing broken crap or even just needing tons of patches has burned me.

The kickstarted bullshit is was just an extension of that problem, just greater promises with less chance of proper delivery, if at all.

Lemme know when the 90s come back when I can buy something that comes with what it claims to have that will only need a patch or two on release max.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have a confession to make... despite my words earlier in this thread, I have just bought a full-price game. And on the day of release, to boot!

What's more, it's not the first time this year. Back in July I did the same.

In my defense, I did it with the best of intentions: I did it to support a developer I know and trust to make a good game. Those are few and far between. And I will do it again, as Space Venture is coming... eventually.

But my words still stand... especially since they now have the exception that proves them to be true. :)

Hungarian magazines still add full games, altough not with boxes, just the disc. I got a lot of legendary games through these magazines (many of you mentioned above), and I was thankful for them. When I was younger there was no internet in our house, but I could still play quality games thanks to these magazines.

That said, I don't need these magazines anymore, because and I have internet and I can buy games dirt cheap, so I don't really care about these magazine game anymore.

Question for you Hungarians: Earlier this year I came across a CD with a game on it that was bought in a street market in Budapest. It's 100% in English and could be an American release for all I know.

The problem is this: It's a 1996 release for a 1984 game. A game released for the PC when it could only do CGA and didn't have sound cards. A game that takes up less than 100 Kb in size, and probably would have needed a speed regulation program to run properly in 1996.

My question is: Is it possible that this CD-release came about due to a Hungarian magazine wanting to feature it on its cover? Did Hungarian coverdiscs feature any specific markings to identify them as such?

Bocian

Arcane
All the time. If I wanna play something right now, I wanna play something right now. No need to wait for discounts.
This is a moronic attitude, buying games at launch nowadays is asking for trouble. By exercising a virtue known as patience and restraint one can save money AND get a higher quality, patched product that has already been tested by paid beta-testers such as you.

Funposter

Arcane
Perhaps once or twice a year, if that. I don't purchase so many video games nowadays that I'm particularly concerned about how expensive they are.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
This is a moronic attitude, buying games at launch nowadays is asking for trouble. By exercising a virtue known as patience and restraint one can save money AND get a higher quality, patched product that has already been tested by paid beta-testers such as you.

Hey, whatever it takes to make you feel better about living in squalor.

Bocian

Arcane

Your picture is oddly accurate - you really have to be a fucking bird brain to come to that conclusion. A fool and his money are soon parted.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a confession to make... despite my words earlier in this thread, I have just bought a full-price game. And on the day of release, to boot!

What's more, it's not the first time this year. Back in July I did the same.

In my defense, I did it with the best of intentions: I did it to support a developer I know and trust to make a good game. Those are few and far between. And I will do it again, as Space Venture is coming... eventually.

But my words still stand... especially since they now have the exception that proves them to be true. :)

Question for you Hungarians: Earlier this year I came across a CD with a game on it that was bought in a street market in Budapest. It's 100% in English and could be an American release for all I know.

The problem is this: It's a 1996 release for a 1984 game. A game released for the PC when it could only do CGA and didn't have sound cards. A game that takes up less than 100 Kb in size, and probably would have needed a speed regulation program to run properly in 1996.

My question is: Is it possible that this CD-release came about due to a Hungarian magazine wanting to feature it on its cover? Did Hungarian coverdiscs feature any specific markings to identify them as such?
I'm not entirely sure how this CD release happened for that magazine. Usually these CD coverdiscs had several other programs, articles, wallpapers, demos AND the bonus game on one disc (at that time, games were much smaller in size). And you can easily identify a coverdisc becaues it has to have the name, logo, release month of the magazine on it (at least I have never seen one which didn't have these).

Steezus

Savant
Patron

Your picture is oddly accurate - you really have to be a fucking bird brain to come to that conclusion. A fool and his money are soon parted.

"Oh no, my game has a bug. I wasted 60 dollars."

Fuck outta here, lmao. It's not rocket science to differentiate between unplayble messes and games that work perfectly fine on release and are fun.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
My colleague Gwenn, who is also the developer of Helium Rain, looked into key scams.
https://twitter.com/StrangerGwenn/status/1052596840149991426
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/9p0pkj/scamming_developers_for_review_steam_keys_to_sell/

tldr : G2A and Kinguin are Steam keys laundering business, and it's an industry, not some 3rd world kids making a bit of money, don't buy games there

Can those of you who rated this as old can direct me to a prior proof that some key resellers were purely bots without human intervention ?
I try to follow the subject but it was news to me.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
I'll happily pay full price for a game if it's either by a company that I want to support, if it's in some way bucking a trend that I don't like, or if the game has managed to seriously impress me (Been a few years since anything fell into that last category). I'll probably pay full price for Age of Wonders Planetfall even though I'm skeptical of it just because I've gotten probably thousands of hours of enjoyment from AoW 1, SM, and 3. I like Triumph and they're a small company that's not swimming in cash so I don't really mind paying full price to support them.

I'll confess to also paying full price for EU4 DLC but that's because I'm a dirty, dirty whore.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Fuck outta here, lmao. It's not rocket science to differentiate between unplayble messes and games that work perfectly fine on release and are fun.

Err... no. At least it's not possible to tell them apart that easily if you're buying (and playing) them on Release Day. How are you gonna know what a game is like before you (or anyone else) has had a chance to play it?

Bocian is absolutely spot-on in his statement that it's a terrible idea to buy a game on Release Day with the intent of playing it right then and there. It's a huge gamble because the game might just have that little bug that börks up your system. That makes that $60 investment mutate into possibly hundreds of dollars of costs due to lost data or even hardware damage. If you plonked down the money for the game at full price, at least have the sensibility to wait a day or two before playing it. That way you should escape the worst possible bugs... mostly.

There are plenty of other reasons for holding back on purchasing a new game, but crippling bugs should be an obvious one.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

Err... no. At least it's not possible to tell them apart that easily if you're buying (and playing) them on Release Day. How are you gonna know what a game is like before you (or anyone else) has had a chance to play it?

Bocian is absolutely spot-on in his statement that it's a terrible idea to buy a game on Release Day with the intent of playing it right then and there. It's a huge gamble because the game might just have that little bug that börks up your system. That makes that $60 investment mutate into possibly hundreds of dollars of costs due to lost data or even hardware damage. If you plonked down the money for the game at full price, at least have the sensibility to wait a day or two before playing it. That way you should escape the worst possible bugs... mostly.

There are plenty of other reasons for holding back on purchasing a new game, but crippling bugs should be an obvious one.

Bocian is absolutely spot-on in being a dumbass and so are you.

I never said that I run to to a midnight release to get the next shiny AAA game ASAP. I just said I buy 'em when I want 'em. We're talking about full priced games here and last I checked they're still full price two days after release.

It's not wrong to wait for first impressions. Everybody should, just to get the big picture.

But I take offense to your statement about not being able to tell if a game is shit or not from previews or on/around release day. Most of the time, of course you can. What are talking about? Everybody knew Andromeda would be a huge pile of garbage weeks before release. Everybody knows that RDR2 is at least going to be perfectly playable on release. Everybody who is not Bocian knows that it's better to wait for first impressions when it comes to the new Cthulhu game since it looks janky from the getgo, but has potential.

Gerrard

Arcane
My colleague Gwenn, who is also the developer of Helium Rain, looked into key scams.
https://twitter.com/StrangerGwenn/status/1052596840149991426
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/9p0pkj/scamming_developers_for_review_steam_keys_to_sell/

tldr : G2A and Kinguin are Steam keys laundering business, and it's an industry, not some 3rd world kids making a bit of money, don't buy games there

Can those of you who rated this as old can direct me to a prior proof that some key resellers were purely bots without human intervention ?
I try to follow the subject but it was news to me.
I don't think that's the point, more like it's not news that G2A and Kinguin are selling stolen keys.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Bocian is absolutely spot-on in being a dumbass and so are you.

I never said that I run to to a midnight release to get the next shiny AAA game ASAP. I just said I buy 'em when I want 'em. We're talking about full priced games here and last I checked they're still full price two days after release.

Quit your squawkin'. You may have started out on that perch, but when you replied to Bocian you swooped down to the D1P part of the debate.

But I take offense to your statement about not being able to tell if a game is shit or not from previews or on/around release day. Most of the time, of course you can. What are talking about? Everybody knew Andromeda would be a huge pile of garbage weeks before release. Everybody knows that RDR2 is at least going to be perfectly playable on release. Everybody who is not Bocian knows that it's better to wait for first impressions when it comes to the new Cthulhu game since it looks janky from the getgo, but has potential.

I have news for you: No one here cares if you're offended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom