Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Alternatively, I have a solid grasp of D&D 3E/ 3.5E, does PF differ significantly?

You'll feel right at home then. Some things are different and imo better: half-elves are not total crap, skill system is overhauled, cantrips get unlimited casting, multiclassing penalty does not exist, classes can take optional archetypes to further specialize, feats at ever other level, more options to pick in general,... But the core 3.5 is still there.

Incendax

Augur
I love going Knife Master with Valerie. She is described as a practical fighter, and a practical fighter would use smaller weapons in caves and other cramped areas. So it stretches the lore without utterly shattering it.

She gets that lovely sneak attack, bonus to AC against light blades, the dodge dagger is quite nice for a long while, etc. Sure, you could just go Viv. But you can go Viv on almost anybody, and so much Viv gets boring.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Alternatively, I have a solid grasp of D&D 3E/ 3.5E, does PF differ significantly?

You'll feel right at home then. Some things are different and imo better: half-elves are not total crap, skill system is overhauled, cantrips get unlimited casting, multiclassing penalty does not exist, classes can take optional archetypes to further specialize, feats at ever other level, more options to pick in general,... But the core 3.5 is still there.

well fuck, that's a pretty significant difference, thanks! The feats thing is especially interesting to me, too many feats used to be not worth wasting a feat point on.

panda

Savant
Can you break down her AC for me? I'm level 10 and she only has 51 with Defensive Style and Defensive Stance active.
10 base
+44 from gear + "long" buffs
17 = +7 dex(2 base + 2 belt + 2 mutagen +1 size)
24 = +7 natural(5 barkskin + 2 mutagen)
32 = +8 shield(4 + 2ench + 2 feats)
36 = +4 shield of faith
38 = +2 dodge (feat + prestige class features)
52 = +14 armor (10 base + 3 magical vestment + 1 feat) here is bug probably, should be 10+2+1, but then you should get another +1 from shield
54 = +1 meal, +1 size

+7 short buffs
58 = +4 cleric of Abadar(Tristian will give you +2)
60 = +2 dodge from stance
61 = +1 haste

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Can you break down her AC for me? I'm level 10 and she only has 51 with Defensive Style and Defensive Stance active.
10 base
36 = +4 shield of faith
52 = +14 armor (10 base + 3 magical vestment + 1 feat) here is bug probably, should be 10+2+1, but then you should get another +1 from shield
54 = +1 meal, +1 size

+7 short buffs
61 = +1 haste
Nice, thanks!
I didn't take any Alchemist levels on Val and haven't been using Barkskin because I forgot that it scales with level :retarded:.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

well fuck, that's a pretty significant difference, thanks! The feats thing is especially interesting to me, too many feats used to be not worth wasting a feat point on.

Also a lot of classes get feat-like thematic class abilities every even level. So with many of them you get to chose new abilities every level (or every other x2).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
building ac is pointless when you can summon skeleton warriors for tough encounters
Stops working when enemies start having cleaves and killing them all in one turn + making a regular attack against your dudes.

Question for the rules experts: What makes a spell "mind affecting". Mainly asking in regards to serpent and undead bloodline of sorc.

Sykar

Arcane
building ac is pointless when you can summon skeleton warriors for tough encounters
Stops working when enemies start having cleaves and killing them all in one turn + making a regular attack against your dudes.

Question for the rules experts: What makes a spell "mind affecting". Mainly asking in regards to serpent and undead bloodline of sorc.

Essentially if it forces a will save. Anything from the enchantment school.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm looking at starting over as a Conjurer. So Summons will just end up pointless later in the game?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm looking at starting over as a Conjurer. So Summons will just end up pointless later in the game?
I'm assuming not every enemy has cleave, but some do. And one big summon can usually hold the line for a round or two in my experience. And summons are always massively helpful against enemies that like to level or stat drain.

hell bovine

Arcane

Essentially if it forces a will save. Anything from the enchantment school.
When it comes to undead bloodline, also illusion and - ironically - necromancy (fear spell). Serpentine might be only enchantment, but I never got far enough to test it before the hotfixes bugged my saves.

vazha

Arcane
10 base
36 = +4 shield of faith
54 = +1 meal, +1 size

+7 short buffs
61 = +1 haste
What kind of 10 AC heavy armor allows you to add a 7 dex bonus?
Also what lvl has a caster to be to add +5 natural ac bonus via barkskin? I'm doubtful you can manage it at lvl 10.
What is your second +1 shield feat? I know there is a shield and greater shield feat, to get the later you'd need fighter lvl 8. You have one vivi class and one prestige class I assume? which one?
whats's the prestige class feature that adds +1 dodge?
To apply +3 mage vestment you need a 12 lvl cleric, no?
Also why +1 size two times?

Please send your answers to: vazha@wspost.com :smug:

panda

Savant
Please send your answers to: vazha@wspost.com :smug:
What kind of 10 AC heavy armor allows you to add a 7 dex bonus?
Valerie kit allows her to add 5dex(at lvl7) bonus to ANY armor as far as she is holding her tower shield.
And mythril full plate has 3 free. So you can actually go 8 here.

Also what lvl has a caster to be to add +5 natural ac bonus via barkskin? I'm doubtful you can manage it at lvl 10.
12 of course

To apply +3 mage vestment you need a 12 lvl cleric, no?

What is your second +1 shield feat? I know there is a shield and greater shield feat, to get the later you'd need fighter lvl 8. You have one vivi class and one prestige class I assume? which one?
Lvl8 fighter feat, greater shield focus, basically greater weapon focus for shields, as you said
My build was 8/2/2
It seems you misunderstood our conversation with Lawntoilet.
I am lvl 12, it is Lawntoilet lvl10
Lvl 12 with subpar gear(i've found stuff for another +3 several hours later), defensive mode deactivated.
But nothing will change with 8/1/1, except mutagen will only last 10 minutes.

whats's the prestige class feature that adds +1 dodge?
:notsureifserious:
Stalwart Defender
Also why +1 size two times?
Cause it is 2 separate effects, +2 dex and +1 AC from small size

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
Taking a level of knife master converts all other sneak attack d6 into d8 when using appropriate weapons. So a level of knife master would make vivisectionist even more deadly. Plus I can get opportunist if I take a second rogue level after viv lvl 10.

eggdogg

Learned
fender-squier-stratocaster-vox_360_d7ea4f2b9120729d78cd4bdfbcc42cd5.jpg

Vox pathfinder amp and a fender strat...what do I win?

Incendax

Augur
Conjurers are perfectly fine. It’s Animate Dead and Create Undead that shine for a little while, then start falling behind.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Does anyone know if the Freebooter's Quarry and Master Hunter abilities work? As written they require favored enemies, which they do not have.

J1M

Arcane
Also, am I missing something, or does full BAB, Flurry of Blows, combat feats, and Evasion make 1 or 2 levels of monk a pretty good dip? I guess the primary drawback would be the weapon selection...

Yosharian

Arcane
Also, am I missing something, or does full BAB, Flurry of Blows, combat feats, and Evasion make 1 or 2 levels of monk a pretty good dip? I guess the primary drawback would be the weapon selection...
Full BAB? Monk is not a full BAB class

Flurry of Blows only works with unarmed

The feat & evasion make monk a good dip, yes, but you have to consider what you're losing, too

Edit: oh wait unchained is full BAB, nice

J1M

Arcane

The feat & evasion make monk a good dip, yes, but you have to consider what you're losing, too

And you can use flurry of blows with monk weapons. Depending on which monk weapons are in the game I think it makes it a reasonable substitute to a rogue dip.

I know Paizo wanted to give people a reason to avoid lots of dips, but I am trying out some things to see if it could work. For example: Freebooter 4/Fighter 4/Paladin 3/Monk 2/??? 7

Maybe there's something with the archetypes that forgo armor feats, since those would be redundant.

Yosharian

Arcane

And you can use flurry of blows with monk weapons. Depending on which monk weapons are in the game I think it makes it a reasonable substitute to a rogue dip.

I know Paizo wanted to give people a reason to avoid lots of dips, but I am trying out some things to see if it could work. For example: Freebooter 4/Fighter 4/Paladin 3/Monk 2/??? 7

Maybe there's something with the archetypes that forgo armor feats, since those would be redundant.
Nearly all classes have something really good after level 10 or so. Getting a bit of everything isn't a good idea generally

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom