Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
If I get around to it I will install it and tool around. There’s also the English translation hack for the SNES version. I can’t recall the PS version being in English or not.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The windows port of age of llylgamyn is pretty bugged. Have fun losing your characters for no reason upon loading back into your game, or the game crashing without saving the game state.

PS versions are superior in almost every possible category to the windows port. Oh, and the soundtrack as well is much superior on PSX version. And yes they're in english.

Having the PC ports of age of llylgamyn is just for completion's sake and/or cool curiosity, a cool thing for wizardry aficionados to fuck around with once in a while just because it's so rare... but it's not really meant for using it as your go-to version for actual play.

For actual play use either PSX or snes versions. Or originals, obviously; though if you're going wireframe originals then I recommend going for the FM Towns port which served as the basis for the character artwork used in all other later japanese ports of wizardry.

EDIT: If you want true original wireframe, i.e. not the souped up FM Towns port, then I recommend the PC-98 port of the DOS version which features anti-aliased wireframes because of the built-in chip the computer had for drawing Kanji.

If you actually want a modern version with great music and o.k. visuals that has exactly the same content, then I still recommend PSX. the SNES versions of the ports suffered in the scripts and puzzles, though the 2D sprite artwork is superior to the PSX polygons.

anti-aliased wire frame bitches!!!1

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Just some random notes on some Japanese Wizardry games:

Wizardry - Prisoners of the Battles (PC)
This works fine even in Win 10 64-bit, and there is no online activation nonsense if you want to get an actual used boxed copy. Getting it to work is a bit of a pain though, as the disc has horrible copy protection that no longer even works (in the bad way, i.e. completely prevents you from playing the game). There is an updated (official) patcher though that you can download that basically disables the copy protection, or at least replaces it with something less insidious. Once you update the game with the patcher, it will run perfectly fine.

From then on, you need to run the game FROM THE PATCHER. Otherwise you will get an error about the game being unable to start wizardry.exe. I THINK the patcher temporarily disables the copy protection, because the game starts right up and you can even play without the disc in the drive.

Wizardry - Five Ordeals (PC)
This is a bunch of bullshit. The physical release is basically unplayable as it used online activation copy protection, limited to 4 activations TOTAL. At one point you could contact the developer/publisher and get your activations reset, but not anymore. I'm not even sure if you could activate a brand new sealed copy, if you managed to track it down.

You can get a digital copy from amisoft for around 5000 yen. This is still bullshit, but at least it works. One HUUUUGE negative is that it can only be activated on a SINGLE COMPUTER. They are very clear in their FAQ that they won't grant you another license if you, say, buy a new computer and want to install the game on there. There's sadly no other way to play this one, unless you can find a cracked copy (I couldn't).

It works fine in Win 10 64-bit. You need to set the installer to Win 98/XP mode and run it as admin. To start the game, you absolutely have to start it from the scenario selector executable. Set every exe in the folder to run as admin. Once you start the selector, authorize your serial number for each scenario and then launch the scenario from within the selector. If you run wizardry.exe directly, you'll get an error.

Wizardry Chronicles (PC)
This works fine in Win 10 64-bit without any fuss. Sadly, the disc needs to be in the drive for the game to start. Otherwise no problems at all. If the dungeon graphics don't show up, just switch to wireframe and you'll be able to play the game. If you have nice MIDI hardware this game will be quite a treat, but if you've just got Windows MIDI, you'll be disappointed.

Wizardry Dimguil (PSX)
I finally broke down and got a copy of the fixed version on Yahoo Auctions. Spent way too much on it, but it was the cheapest I've seen a verified fixed version go for in the last couple years (you can tell whether the game is the original bugged version or the fixed version by the color of the logo on the disc). I've often seen Japanese Wiz fans mention this one as a masterpiece that's as good as if not better than the original games, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Damn, I was thinking about getting Five Ordeals, but that DRM bullshit means I won't even try (makes me wonder if the Japanese hate money). Prisoners of Battles had a PS2 version, did you play both and are they identical?

Regarding Dimguil, I've had the common PSX iso variant for years, I wonder if its the original release or the fixed version.

Thanks, this is the kind of info you can't get anywhere else, lots of brofists from me
rating_brofist.png
rating_brofist.png
rating_brofist.png
rating_brofist.png
rating_brofist.png

newtmonkey

Arcane
Grauken

The DRM for Five Ordeals is a real shame. Japanese Wiz players seem to prefer it over Prisoners of Battles. It's funny that these Japanese companies insist on these draconian DRM/copy protection schemes for games 95% of people don't even care about. I haven't played the PS2 version of PoB, so I have no idea if it's the same, sorry. :(

You can easily check to see if your copy of Dumguil is fixed or not. "Wizardry DIMGUIL" on the disc itself is yellow on the bugged version, silver on the fixed one.
[EDIT] Oh, you said ISO haha

Anyway, the bugs are pretty much avoidable apparently, so it's not the end of the world if you have the bugged one. Apparently you have to avoid the optional card game and also avoid mashing buttons when spell effects are going off in battle. Otherwise I guess it's pretty stable.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
kind of the same, you just don't have the other scenario. and yeah I didn't know either about that DRM, good to know...

So I played some more Etrian Odyssey X, wanted to finish it before Persona Q2 comes out. I killed the big post game boss then you can refight the final boss but a much stronger version. I almost killed it and if I try again with some items I am sure I can do it...even though there's a way to grind very quickly in the game like this guy do:

and try different setup but I just don't feel like doing it. the class/sub class are kind of boring, some force skill are stupid OP:

so yeah I think I am dropping the game, really a disapointing end for etrian odyssey series(well on 3ds that is). I hope persona q2 will be somewhat enjoyable...

newtmonkey

Arcane
Not really in the mood to play anything more substantial, but I managed to get a start in

Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering of the Queen
So far, so good. I've got the typical Fighter/Fighter/Priest/Thief/Mage/Mage party going, and just got everything to level 3 with most of B1 mapped.

I guess it's pretty impressive they've got the whole Wizardry thing running on the lowly Gameboy, though they did have to compromise it somewhat, with smaller individual dungeon levels. Otherwise, it's a fine translation of the classic Wiz formula. It's got thief abilities (making the thief useful outside of opening chests only) and combat range from Wiz 5, but is otherwise pretty much a new Wiz 1-3 scenario.

The dungeon design is pretty nice. Casting dumapic shows you what you've already explored, but that makes sense as you would have been playing this on the bus/train whatever back in the day, so you aren't going to be mapping the game on paper. The layouts are logical enough that a couple of casts of dumapic are enough to get you there and back again, even for someone without any sense of direction (like me).

Fine game! Definitely won't be transferring my party through the series though, as doing so relies on getting a special item that requires you to have sold every single item in the game to the store (not gonna grind encounters and pray to RNG god to accomplish this), or use a link cable between two gameboys (I have two gameboys, but not two GB flashcards, and not getting another one just for this haha).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Starfish did two Wiz Empire titles for Game Boy Color, very good for what they are. AFAIK they're unrelated to the PSX/Windows PC Wiz Empire titles.

There's also the Game Boy Color ports of the SNES remakes of the first three Scenarios, and the Game Boy versions have extra items too. From counting them in an item list in the fan-site Boltac's Trading Post, I counted 15 new items, most of them weapons.

Don't know in which scenario the new items are found in, or whether they're spread out or what. I think Scenario 3 has an extra floor as well, I believe it's the same extra floor they added to the Sega Saturn version of the Lhylgamyn Saga release.

I've never bothered with the Saturn version of the Lhyllgamyn saga because frankly I've played them too much to go thru them again hunting for the new floor, and I don't even know if it's hidden or not. Boltac's doesn't have any further info about it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Probably somewhere in this thread is a link to the best wizardry bestiaries out there. Each I find are kind of scattered in content. Then again the same is said for bardstale and night & Magic bestiaries as well. Been thinking hard on some tabletop pnp Wizardry conversions.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
sigh, I find persona q2 to be a bit annoying. turn start, monster act before you and 2shot your leader and game over. -_-
might take some time before I finish the game.

Viata

Arcane
For some reason I like the concept of mc dying -> game over in those games because you are the main character, not the whole party. If you created a party, then it would be shit.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's just there's spells like recarm and items like revival beads that exist for reviving the player or his team mates.

How's PersonaQ 2's balance?
First one was horrible with respect to the SP costs of abilities.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
For some reason I like the concept of mc dying -> game over in those games because you are the main character, not the whole party. If you created a party, then it would be shit.

it's just that for me drpg is about my whole party...I don't mind it in persona game and it's easier in persona since you know who's going to act next(or other smt where you play first and then monster play) but in drpg it annoys me.
maybe I am lil bit too low level for the floor I am currently exploring, but man the grinding in this game is boring.

Sp cost seems ok, some ability are quite expensive, so you better wait til you land a crit or exploit a weakness so it becomes free to cast. Physical skill require hp though and some of them are elemental. I haven't done any quest yet but the reward in exp seem poor.
I finished exploring the first dungeon and I was like lvl 10, grinded til I got to lvl 18 to beat the first boss. I remember in PQ1 you'd farm FOE for very good exp and demon but in this one the FOE doesn't seem to give much exp, they do give higher demons...
the exp scalling seems weird, some ennemies doesn't give much exp, like I could get 3k from a battle and another one with other monster I can get 10k

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I'm playing Wizardry Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I tried the Apple II version first (the original), but it was too slow and micromanaging the gold was a nightmare so I switched to the MS-DOS port from The Ultimate Wizardry Archives. I actually bought graph paper and I am drawing the maps as I play.

Beautiful, beautiful game.

Curratum

Holy shit, why did you have to bump this? I had a decent opinion of aweight before I discovered the original post here...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I photocopied the wizardry map template so I always had spares (not knowing eventually they’d be too small in later wiz).

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
PS1 Llylgamyn Saga is mechanics-wise and content-wise a 1:1 rendition of the original game. You can enable wireframe if you don't like the PS graphics, but I found them pretty nice. Ended up switching to wireframe in the end tho.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
PS1 Llylgamyn Saga is mechanics-wise and content-wise a 1:1 rendition of the original game. You can enable wireframe if you don't like the PS graphics, but I found them pretty nice. Ended up switching to wireframe in the end tho.
Eh, not 100% true. Llylgamyn Saga features bugfixes and changes introduced by later ports/W2/3 in all three Wizardry games, which removes the ability to cast spells on surprised party during the free turn (and maybe something else, I don't remember all of them), but I guess that's not too critical unless you live by the 'Apple ][ or bust' mantra.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I stand corrected!

I meant compared to SNES that goes as far as to switch II and III, or the horribly bugged NES in which armor doesn't work.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Eh, not 100% true. Llylgamyn Saga features bugfixes and changes introduced by later ports/W2/3 in all three Wizardry games, which removes the ability to cast spells on surprised party during the free turn (and maybe something else, I don't remember all of them), but I guess that's not too critical unless you live by the 'Apple ][ or bust' mantra.

According to the article about version differences on hardcoregaming101.net, in all Japanese versions the level 6 to 8 have their layout changed from the original US releases.

>>> http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry-llylgamyn-trilogy-version-comparison/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom